HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post

Any update on the apartments that are supposed to go between Hayden Ferry and State Farm/Marina Heights? I can't wait to see that entire south bank built out between Mill and Rural (almost)
OliverMcMillan site says late 2013.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:23 PM

The name of those is escaping me at the moment... I was on the 202 this am, and saw a piece equipment on the property, it looks like a large yellow drill and a water truck. I will check this afternoon, but I believe it was for that project.

I have a buddy that is a superintendent on the Marina Heights/State Farm project, it seemed to slow/stall, and he has been doing other work in California for the last 4 or 5 months. He is headed back to Tempe tomorrow to begin work on this project!

It's about to get really fun in Tempe, can't wait til USA Place starts.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 1:58 AM

So I drove down Rio Salado tonight and realized my statement from this am was wrong. The big equipment I saw was on the far edge of the Marina Heights project, not the Lofts. The Lofts property is still untouched, just a giant hole in the ground.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 10:12 PM

Saw this a few pages back

Hey all, saw this a few pages back:

http://azremagazine.com/new-market/m...tainhead-plaza

A proposed 967,000 SF development called FNB Fountainhead is expected to move into the SWC of Alameda Drive and 55th Street in Tempe and adjacent to Fountainhead Park Office Park parallel to the I-10 freeway.

The plans include four Class-A contemporary office buildings, ranging from three to 12 stories, two parking structures (3,600 spaces positioned on 25 acres).

The project, developed by FNB Fountainhead LLC, is valued at $225M, will be brokered by Cassidy Turley and designed by DPA Architects. A general contractor and subcontractors have yet to be announced. Start and completion dates will be released at a later date.

Looks like a go!!!

To bad all this tempe development isnt going in downtown

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 10:17 PM
them bones

^Makes me happy for my old firm. I used to work for DPA years ago. I can probably get a height figure for all these.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 2:44 AM

The former Onyx plot was sold recently; not a lot of info- but, it would be great if the buyer plans to actually develop the land and something tall went up. Still wanting to see some 300' towers in Tempe.

Also, maybe I was the only who never knew the full scoop, but that "Sky Tower" project that was flooding the news with press releases back in the spring with ambiguous details, like "near Mill Avenue," "in the 5th street district," etc. is officially dead, not that anyone thought it was going to happen. It was planned for the lot that currently houses an abandoned small office building on the north side of 5th by the railroad tracks (western end of the Hayden Condo parking lot). A pretty awesome location for a high rise, given the West 6th towers right next door and and the railroad tracks creating a natural break before the smaller-scale residential along Farmer. any way, Google Tempe Towers LLC for more info; the guy filed bankruptcy.

I really, really wish that area of Tempe developed as planned. Mill just shouldn't have skyscrapers along it's frontage, so leaving the high rises to cluster along the western end with Mosaic, the 4 Centerpoint Towers, and Sky Tower before stepping town to the Farmer Arts District and finally, to the great dense infill on the western side of Farmer was just a fantastic plan. Driving along Ash now is just so depressing knowing what should have been... Nothing but garages and lots aside from Encore.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The former Onyx plot was sold recently; not a lot of info- but, it would be great if the buyer plans to actually develop the land and something tall went up. Still wanting to see some 300' towers in Tempe.

Also, maybe I was the only who never knew the full scoop, but that "Sky Tower" project that was flooding the news with press releases back in the spring with ambiguous details, like "near Mill Avenue," "in the 5th street district," etc. is officially dead, not that anyone thought it was going to happen. It was planned for the lot that currently houses an abandoned small office building on the north side of 5th by the railroad tracks (western end of the Hayden Condo parking lot). A pretty awesome location for a high rise, given the West 6th towers right next door and and the railroad tracks creating a natural break before the smaller-scale residential along Farmer. any way, Google Tempe Towers LLC for more info; the guy filed bankruptcy.

I really, really wish that area of Tempe developed as planned. Mill just shouldn't have skyscrapers along it's frontage, so leaving the high rises to cluster along the western end with Mosaic, the 4 Centerpoint Towers, and Sky Tower before stepping town to the Farmer Arts District and finally, to the great dense infill on the western side of Farmer was just a fantastic plan. Driving along Ash now is just so depressing knowing what should have been... Nothing but garages and lots aside from Encore.
Keep the faith; Phoenix and Tempe have both done quite well during the Neo-depression we are living through. Just imagine how great things will be when the economy really gets going. Which it will....eventually....I hope...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:54 PM

I too was hoping Onyx would be revived. I think the good news is that the lot is zoned for residential, and is a fairly small lot. So whatever goes there eventually will have to be very dense to make economic sense. Hopefully sooner than later. It would be great to see that side of the lake completed.

Question: Between the planned Lofts at Hayden Ferry and the existing buildings, there is a dirt lot on Rio Salado. Originally I think it was slated for Le Meridian hotel. Anyone know if that is still planned/zoned for a hotel in the future?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I too was hoping Onyx would be revived. I think the good news is that the lot is zoned for residential, and is a fairly small lot. So whatever goes there eventually will have to be very dense to make economic sense. Hopefully sooner than later. It would be great to see that side of the lake completed.

Question: Between the planned Lofts at Hayden Ferry and the existing buildings, there is a dirt lot on Rio Salado. Originally I think it was slated for Le Meridian hotel. Anyone know if that is still planned/zoned for a hotel in the future?
Between Ash and Rural on the N side of rio it is almost completely developed (or in the progress of) the only spot is one lot. It is a part of Hayden Ferry on the East side of that monster parking garage. Looks like it was going to be a second condo building that never came to fruition after 08'.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 1:01 AM

The Lofts at Hayden, if built, will go immediately east of the existing HFL condos- there won't be any empty parcels between HFL, The Lofts and Marina Heights.

3 spots were left unfinished within HFL: the 3rd office tower on the corner of Mill and Rio Salado, a small space intended for a retail annex on the west side of the garage, and a parcel on the south side of the shorter condo building. This last parcel is where the hotel was to be developed, fronting Rio Salado and bringing the height of the combined condotel building up to match the residential-only one to the west.

Here is a rendering for reference:
http://www.owp.com/page.php?q=226

Not sure who owns that parcel and whether they have any intentions of ever bringing in a big name hotel brand to the site. It seems like an upscale hotel on the lake would be a no-brainer given the lack of that kind of quality accommodation in the immediate area, right in the middle of the lake, ASU, Marina Heights, Mill, 202, etc. The Omni hotel will fit the need somewhat, but seems like it's going for more for more of a business/conference market, whereas a lakefront hotel would meet a slightly different niche, IMO.

Regardless, all 3 missing parcels are unfortunately the 3 that would help the most in connecting HFL with Mill and Rio Salado and making it more of an urban and pedestrian-oriented development.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Nov 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 6:43 PM

Thanks for the info and rendering guys. Really hope we hear something on that hotel plot soon. I think it's a no brainer, as Marina Heights starts to go vertical. State Farm I'm sure would love to have that walking distance from their office.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 7:30 PM

I notice from the freeway the other day that Argo is really going vertical now. the elevator shaft is up along with the steel beams to support the "stick up" construction. I think the first few floors were already framed.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 2:39 PM

I'm not sure why the hotel market has been so slow to pick up post-recession in both Tempe and Phoenix. Each has gotten one built (Mariott and Palomar) and a handful of proposals, but quite a few of these seem like "slam dunks," and I do think both downtowns could support quite a bit more inventory, depending on the quality of the brand brought in. Phoenix has long had far too few beds for the type/size of convention it wants to host - the Colliers hotel pad, Luhrs and Hotel Monroe would be 3 great additions that have all failed to gan momentum for one reason or another... Colliers has been silent, Luhrs has been cut back, and desls for Monroe are consistently falling through at the last second.

Meanwhile, Tempe finally realized how its lack of housing near campus was drawing students and revenue out to suburban rentals, and has been increasing their residential unit stock. It seems that the same is true for the hotel market- aside from the Palms, there isn't much in the way of accommodations in downtown, or especially on Mill. The new Marriott is an extended stay business hotel, but I think that a higher-end brand along the lake at either HFL or SouthBank would be perfect, or a boutique brand near the northern side of Mill (preference being attached to the Mill/on that lot). Fingers crossed that the Omni gets built, and everything else along with it at USA Place.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 8:53 PM

ASU Business-Finance photo of College Avenue Commons progress as of today.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 6:46 AM
Visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I notice from the freeway the other day that Argo is really going vertical now. the elevator shaft is up along with the steel beams to support the "stick up" construction. I think the first few floors were already framed.
I was showing a unit next door at 525 Town Lake and took a couple pictures of the progress. This is the first time I've seen the development of this project. It's definitely coming along!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 2:03 PM

Thanks Savphili, I just wish they had built the more aggressive proposal from before the crash but infill is infill.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 5:44 PM

ASU Vice President for Athletics Steve Patterson reportedly will be Texas' new Athletic Director. Doesn't help Athletics ongoing efforts with Sun Devil Stadium renovation and other athletic facility projects.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Thanks Savphili, I just wish they had built the more aggressive proposal from before the crash but infill is infill.
What were the original plans for the Argo site?

I wish that the project was 2-4 stories taller, as that area could use some staggering heights aesthetically and the added density would be a huge bonus; however, I'm just glad a developer is finally trying to bring some life to the area throuh incorporating ground floor retail. The vision for those spaces - a bike co-op and cafe - show that they truly care about the individual community they are building in, as opposed to a Hanover type of project that is completely removed from its environment and could be placed on any plot in any city.

Wish it was being a bit closer to the street, however. It looks like there will be a rather large setback from Rio.

I also wish the TCA addressed Rio a bit more, and am surprised Tempe dropped the ball in making it more urban and pedestrian-friendly. Would've been great to have the cafe, gallery and souvenir shop have streetwise access.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post

ASU Business-Finance photo of College Avenue Commons progress as of today.
Thanks! For a building of such few stories, this does make quite an impact. I wish there were mire details on the plans/timeline for the rest of the development. If a tall, residential piece is not included, that would be a real shame. A private, market rate project would be even better, but having Cllege bookended by The Hub and a 12-14 story dorm at Block 12 would change the dynamics of this part of downtown dramatically and maybe even be a catalyst for some projects, like University Square, to start developing new plans to address the growing nearby population.

I would also have to believe we are only a few more dense residential projects away from a downtown grocery store to be viable. I know Whole Foods has continually been brought up for the University and Ash lot, but neither a 1-story project nor a Whole Foods are ideal for that location (not that the ever-deteriorating dirt is any better...). USA Place would be a great location, but I won't believe it until I hear a name associated with it, and I also think something further north might work better to serve residents near Town Lake, the neighborhoods around Farmer and 5th, and be accessible via light rail. The Loco Patron would've been perfect, or one of the many lots along Ash/Farmer. To serve ASU more, the M7 lot could also work... I've now listed every lot, but oh well.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 3:48 AM

I know it's not that exciting, but here are a few pics I took today of the tower crane for the Drury Inn at Warner & I-10:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest