HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Currently, the land is one parcel. If you look at the plans, all they are doing are subdividing out a small strip on the east end by the railroad tracks as "Tract A," which will be used as "open space and landscaping." Could be different reasons why they need to do this, but it's mostly likely to facilitate development, rather than forestall it.

As another example, there is a similar process going on right now for the Monti's lot where One Hundred Mill is supposed to go. There are currently several different tax parcels of land where the restaurant and parking lot are. The developer, however, is going through the approval process to subdivide the land so there are only two parcels: one where the historic portion of the Hayden House that is going to be preserved will be, and one for all the rest where the new development will be.
Okay, makes more sense now, thanks for the help.

What is strange to me is the last page says no development plan has been file (fair enough, maybe they want this first). But then, it says, IF developed in the future it will conform to zoning or something along those lines.

I have a hard time believing anyone would approve this without some assurances and insight into if these is actually a development coming in the near future, otherwise, why apply for the plat now?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Okay, makes more sense now, thanks for the help.

What is strange to me is the last page says no development plan has been file (fair enough, maybe they want this first). But then, it says, IF developed in the future it will conform to zoning or something along those lines.

I have a hard time believing anyone would approve this without some assurances and insight into if these is actually a development coming in the near future, otherwise, why apply for the plat now?
I can actually answer that one too. The developer had an open house tonight for both that parcel by Culinary Dropout and the one on the other side of Encore, so the development is definitely in the works. I snapped some pictures of the renderings. Sorry they low quality. Here is Parcel 2, by Culinary Dropout. It's proposed as 5 story commercial for half the lot closest to 5th, and a 4ish story parking garage on the other half closest to Culinary Dropout. I believe I heard the developer say that there would be some retail or other mixed use on the garage facing Farmer:

And here is the proposal for Parcel 1 between Encore and University. 12 stories, market rate apartments.

The NIMBY crowd was at the open house for Parcel 1 with signs and shit, complaining about "luxury condos" and vowing to fight the development.

Last edited by muertecaza; Jan 6, 2016 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 3:42 AM
Skyriser

Good height for that block--but I'm confused--your update didn't cover the tower portion? Is that to be at a later phase or ....?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:36 AM

Quote:
I can actually answer that one too. The developer had an open house tonight for both that parcel by Culinary Dropout and the one on the other side of Encore, so the development is definitely in the works. I snapped some pictures of the renderings. Sorry they low quality. Here is Parcel 2, by Culinary Dropout. It's proposed as 5 story commercial for half the lot closest to 5th, and a 4ish story parking garage on the other half closest to Culinary Dropout. I believe I heard the developer say that there would be some retail or other mixed use on the garage facing Farmer:

And here is the proposal for Parcel 1 between Encore and University. 12 stories, market rate apartments.

The NIMBY crowd was at the open house for Parcel 1 with signs and shit, complaining about "luxury condos" and vowing to fight the development.
WOW. Those look like amazing projects! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Who the hell would oppose this?

The 12 story market-rate looks especially good.

While everyone typically hates parking garages - it will be absolutely necessary in this case. Parking is already an issue on most nights at The Yard.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:03 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Who the hell would oppose this?

The 12 story market-rate looks especially good.

While everyone typically hates parking garages - it will be absolutely necessary in this case. Parking is already an issue on most nights at The Yard.
Take a look at the Facebook page of the Maple-Ash-Farmer-Wilson group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mapleashfarmerwilson/

You'll see a lot of anti-gentrification, anti-density sentiment scattered in the posts there. Some of it is so poorly worded that I can't even tell what the grievances are.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Take a look at the Facebook page of the Maple-Ash-Farmer-Wilson group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mapleashfarmerwilson/

You'll see a lot of anti-gentrification, anti-density sentiment scattered in the posts there. Some of it is so poorly worded that I can't even tell what the grievances are.
Those people are clowns. Why would they be opposed to something that increases the value of of their homes and land? What a joke. I hope the city doesn't cave on this. This looks like a fantastic project.

Also, are these apartments or condos? Everyone on that FB page keeps saying "luxury condos". I don't know what they define as luxury, they are complaining about the residents of the neighborhood making $30k/year or some garbage.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Those people are clowns. Why would they be opposed to something that increases the value of of their homes and land? What a joke. I hope the city doesn't cave on this. This looks like a fantastic project.

Also, are these apartments or condos? Everyone on that FB page keeps saying "luxury condos". I don't know what they define as luxury, they are complaining about the residents of the neighborhood making $30k/year or some garbage.
Yeah, they're definitely planned as apartments.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:

NO MORE LUXURY CONDOS says the people living in luxury townhomes

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they're definitely planned as apartments.
Haha, what clowns!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:22 PM
Skyriser

I like how with a NIMBY, anything can be opposed for completely arbitrary reasons. Such fascinating creatures, they are.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:51 PM
self-important urbanista

There are a lot of similarities with the Save Roosevelt Row movement in Phoenix. In anti-development rhetoric, apartments become "condos," mid-rises become "high rises," and market rate becomes "luxury." Factual accuracy doesn't seem to matter.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There are a lot of similarities with the Save Roosevelt Row movement in Phoenix. In anti-development rhetoric, apartments become "condos," mid-rises become "high rises," and market rate becomes "luxury." Factual accuracy doesn't seem to matter.
I agree there is alot of the same rhetoric, but I do think at least Roosevelt has a better case. Historic buildings, or building that provide character and personality have a better argument that I can sympathize with. Arguing that vacant land should not be developed into nice projects that increase land value for all is absolutely ridiculous! They should be thanking the developer for building something that will allow them to sell their shanties for more in the future.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:56 PM

At the very worse...they will downsize it to something around 4-6 stories based on existing projects within its context. A development is a development.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
At the very worse...they will downsize it to something around 4-6 stories based on existing projects within its context. A development is a development.
4-6 stories would be tragic for that project. 10 I can live with. Anything less is garbage. It is in the properly zoned area that allows for that height. If residents have a problem with it, they can leave.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 10:32 PM

Tempe Development Projects update for January posted: http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=38360

Items of note:
  • Dog and Pony Brewery on 1st has permits issued and is ready to build
  • Marina Heights is in permitting for their retail buildings
  • The Maxwell is in review, but no plans publicly posted that I can see
  • The Farmer Arts Parcel 1 (12 story discussed above) is under review
  • 3 story commercial building with over 400,000 SF of space in review in Fountainhead in an empty lot south of University of Phoenix, "Park Summit @ Fountainhead"
  • Hayden Ferry is under review for a building permit for a "Parking Garage Addition." **Edit: apparently this will be adding a 9th level to the current 8 tier garage.

Last edited by muertecaza; Jan 6, 2016 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Tempe Development Projects update for January posted: http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=38360

Items of note:
  • 3 story commercial building with over 400,000 SF of space in review in
That's been on hold for quite a while, happy to see that something will finally get built. Wish it was taller though

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:09 PM

I noticed that HFL III has installed an electronic ticker display that spans the top of the first floor angled towards Mill and Rio Salado. Will be interested to see how it looks at night displaying messages...also I noticed directly east of there- the dirt patch next to the parking garage is fenced with survey markers...anyone know what was suppose to be built here before the recession as part of the original plan? Was it a retail pad fronting Rio Salado?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:14 PM

By the way I was right...HFL will be adding to their parking garage along with Chase's parking lot!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:19 PM

"Park Summit @ Fountainhead" this is really unfortunate! At one point this was going to be around a 16 story building then it was reduced to 6 then to 5 now 3 .

Here is the link to the promotional flier with the old rendering...maybe they'll stack the garage so it's taller but doubt it.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...Turley&LL=true

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest