HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 3:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wonder if there is any other metro in North America where another team from outside the metro is so dominant in fan support in a fairly large geographic area of a particular team's market.
Go watch a Coyotes game when Detroit comes to town. It'll blow your mind.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Go watch a Coyotes game when Detroit comes to town. It'll blow your mind.
I know but these are mostly transplants are they not?

Gatineau has many transplants from other parts of Quebec (including Montreal) but Hab-fandom here is not primarily a transplant thing.

Most locals are Hab fans intergenerationally from before the Sens returned to the league, and unlike most of the people in Ottawa for the most part they did not switch over to the Sens in 1992 or in the years following.

Prior to 1992, Ottawa was divided between the Leafs and Habs. Franco-Ontarians were massively for the Habs while anglos were more split between the Habs and Leafs. Most of the Franco-Ontarian population in Ottawa and eastern Ontario has switched over to the Sens, as did most of the anglo population.

There is still a pretty strong nucleus of Leaf fans also in the Ottawa Valley northwest and west of Ottawa, but contrary to the situation with the Habs in Gatineau the Sens do have good majority support in these areas.

When the Leafs come to town there is a large segment of the crowd that cheers for the away team, but these are mostly out of towners or people from rural areas outside the metro.

The people who cheer for the Habs at Canadian Tire Centre are for the most part from inside the metro itself.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:34 PM
Home of Hyperchange

They're transplants, ayuh.

I'm not terribly surprised with Ottawa though. Linguistic and/or provincial loyalties dictate a lot of team support in this country. It's one of the big reasons I want the Nords back, to see just how much Habs support is only due to them being the only team to support for a lot of people.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 5:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
They're transplants, ayuh.

I'm not terribly surprised with Ottawa though. Linguistic and/or provincial loyalties dictate a lot of team support in this country. It's one of the big reasons I want the Nords back, to see just how much Habs support is only due to them being the only team to support for a lot of people.
It's a real uphill battle for the Sens here.

Just this morning my kids were pouring milk on their cereal from a carton with a Habs logo on it (offering a chance to accompany them on a road trip) while at the same time a local radio station was broadcasting about a charity contest where you could win a free skate with the Habs as the Bell Centre.

I am not making this up.

The Habs' province-wide marketing, merchandising and product placement is massive. I was at Costco in Gatineau on the weekend and right when you walk in there was a huge display filled with Habs' hoodies.

And that's not to mention all of the national francophone local media who treat the Habs as the local team. (There are 7 million or more francophones in Canada, and of these probably 200,000 or less are Senators fans.)

Things were much more balanced when the Nordiques were around, and things will likely adjust if they return as a much larger share of the francophone population will be fans of the Nords.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

It's why I've always had a soft spot for the Sens. They've basically been Canada's underdog since their founding - and arguably Canada's best team over the past decade. Yet they get zero respect. HNIC treats them as "the enemy" on any broadcast with Toronto/Montreal/Pittsburgh/Detroit/Washington... well, damn near any team that isn't a southern US franchise.

After losing the Jets, they quickly became a favourite of mine, as I'll always root for an underdog. It's just too bad they have so little support, and Melnyk keeps bleeding them dry.

Also I have a SNES jersey and that's just about the best thing in the world.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:43 PM

Really rooting for Ottawa. Paul MacLean is a hometown hero and a great coach. Hope they can win the cup one of these years.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
HNIC treats them as "the enemy" on any broadcast with Toronto/Montreal/Pittsburgh/Detroit/Washington... well, damn near any team that isn't a southern US franchise..
Not when it's Hughson/Simpson/Healy calling the game. They will do anything to trash the Leafs. Especially Healy.

My favourite was one game when Healy was doing his schtick where he drones on and on about Reimer's high glove problem (which doesn't exist), praises Craig Anderson for his fantastic glove... as the Leafs rush up ice and roof it high glove.

Shut his dumb ass up. It was awesome.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 9:43 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
It's why I've always had a soft spot for the Sens. They've basically been Canada's underdog since their founding - and arguably Canada's best team over the past decade. Yet they get zero respect. HNIC treats them as "the enemy" on any broadcast with Toronto/Montreal/Pittsburgh/Detroit/Washington... well, damn near any team that isn't a southern US franchise.
Please, not Washington. I'm a Caps fan and whenever we're on HNIC I have to watch it on mute. Nobody on that channel can stand the fact the most electrifying player in the game is an Evil Russkie.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:33 PM

Anyone else see these numbers for CFL viewership? http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...183017606.html

Quote:
But while overall ratings increases give the league something to crow about, that's not the real big news. The big news is that they're being driven by the most unlikely source of all: Southern Ontario. Ratings for games involving the Toronto Argonauts were up 26 per cent from last year while audiences for Hamilton (Guelph) Tiger-Cats games rose 14 per cent.

Ratings for all CFL games were up 18 per cent from last year in Southern Ontario and the Hamilton-Toronto clash on Thanksgiving Day drew the league's fourth-largest TV audience of the season with 956,000 viewers.
Apparently Southern Ontario is up significantly. Let's hope it lasts.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard's Star View Post
Anyone else see these numbers for CFL viewership? http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...183017606.html

Apparently Southern Ontario is up significantly. Let's hope it lasts.
As noted by the author, the Argos have been a fun team to watch lately. I'm guessing that has something to do with it... Ray, Collaros, Inman, Kackert, Durie, Owens, Mitchell, McCune... they have some ballers on that team capable of showstopping plays.

It's a lot more fun to watch them than the games involving, oh, say a certain 3-15 team I'm acquainted with.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 3:58 PM

Facebook likes for Canadian sports teams

I noticed on another thread that someone had listed the Facebook likes for all the Toronto sports teams. Having too much time on my hands, I've expanded the effort across the country.

Montreal Canadiens - 1,030,539
Vancouver Canucks - 842,818
Toronto Maple Leafs - 751,608
Toronto Blue Jays - 563,722
Toronto Raptors - 468,695
Edmonton Oilers - 288,544
Calgary Flames - 213,387
Winnipeg Jets - 205,620
Ottawa Senators - 193,816
Saskatchewan Roughriders - 151,095
Montreal Alouettes - 122,211
Montreal Impact - 96,287
Toronto FC - 88,105
Vancouver Whitecaps - 78,089
BC Lions - 76,432
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 55,208
Hamilton Tiger Cats - 36,044
Toronto Argonauts - 22,975
Calgary Stampeders - 22,646
Edmonton Eskimos - 19,604
Ottawa Redblacks - 3,338

Any comments? Surprises? Do Facebook likes correlate to real world support?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:11 PM

I'm surprised by the following things:

-That the Leafs aren't first
-That the Raps are so high up
-That the Impact is at the top of the MLS teams
-That the Alberta CFL teams are at the bottom of the list

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:17 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm surprised by the following things:

-That the Leafs aren't first
-That the Raps are so high up
-That the Impact is at the top of the MLS teams
-That the Alberta CFL teams are at the bottom of the list
Edm/Cal fans would rather go to a game than like it on facebook.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:52 PM

CFL outside of sask has a slightly older fan base who are less likely to be on Facebook at all.

Also, Redblacks continues to be a really awful name. I have decided that I will henceforth refer to them alternately as Redriders, with Tom Cochran theme music, and as BlackRiders, and imagine a one ring helmet logo.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 5:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I noticed on another thread that someone had listed the Facebook likes for all the Toronto sports teams. Having too much time on my hands, I've expanded the effort across the country.

Montreal Canadiens - 1,030,539
Vancouver Canucks - 842,818
Toronto Maple Leafs - 751,608
Toronto Blue Jays - 563,722
Toronto Raptors - 468,695
Edmonton Oilers - 288,544
Calgary Flames - 213,387
Winnipeg Jets - 205,620
Ottawa Senators - 193,816
Saskatchewan Roughriders - 151,095
Montreal Alouettes - 122,211
Montreal Impact - 96,287
Toronto FC - 88,105
Vancouver Whitecaps - 78,089
BC Lions - 76,432
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 55,208
Hamilton Tiger Cats - 36,044
Toronto Argonauts - 22,975
Calgary Stampeders - 22,646
Edmonton Eskimos - 19,604
Ottawa Redblacks - 3,338

Any comments? Surprises? Do Facebook likes correlate to real world support?
A few comments:

The Montreal Canadiens are arguably the most popular hockey team AND the most popular Canadian sports team worldwide.

The Montreal clubs score highly because the sports media in Quebec is tightly-knit and focused on them and there aren't as many parallel distractions from the States that draw attention away from domestic sports as there are in the rest of the country. People like Jim Rome and Chris Berman and their shows are largely non-factors in what people pay attention to here.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:59 PM
Reason and Freedom

The television ratings for the CFL Division Finals on TSN:

Quote:
TICATS-ARGOS GAME SETS RECORD FOR EASTERN FINAL ON TSN

TSN, 11/18/2013

Yesterday's CFL Divisional Finals on TSN delivered big audiences, including a record audience for the Eastern Final on English television. Overall, 7.3 million Canadians watched some part of the 2013 CFL Divisional Finals on TSN.

A full breakdown of overnight audience data from BBM Canada is outlined below:

Eastern Final

The Eastern Final featuring Hamilton @ Toronto attracted an average audience of 1.7 million viewers on TSN – making it the most-watched Eastern Final ever on English television. Audiences for the all-Ontario matchup were up 21% compared to last year's average audience of 1.4 million viewers on TSN.

Audience levels peaked at 3.1 million viewers on TSN late in the game as the Tiger-Cats held on to defeat the Toronto Argonauts 24-17.

Western Final

The Western Final featuring Saskatchewan @ Calgary was watched by an average audience of 1.9 million viewers on TSN, up 2% compared to last year's Western Final.

Audience levels peaked at 2.7 million on TSN in the fourth quarter of the game as the Saskatchewan Roughriders completed a 35-13 upset of the Calgary Stampeders.

Read full story: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=436925

Some recent Toronto Raptors national TV ratings:

Wed Oct 30: Boston at Toronto — 54,000 [SEASON OPENER]
Nov 1: Toronto at Atlanta — 71,000
Sat Nov 2: Toronto at Milwaukee — 215,000

Source: http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...-have-ratings/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:09 PM

^ The 2001 Grey Cup in Montreal broadcast on CBC only had 2.7 million viewers (I'm sure the RDS numbers would have pushed it higher, but only to a certain point).

Now the divisional finals get that many viewers.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A few comments:

The Montreal Canadiens are arguably the most popular hockey team AND the most popular Canadian sports team worldwide.

The Montreal clubs score highly because the sports media in Quebec is tightly-knit and focused on them and there aren't as many parallel distractions from the States that draw attention away from domestic sports as there are in the rest of the country. People like Jim Rome and Chris Berman and their shows are largely non-factors in what people pay attention to here.
Good points on Quebec sports culture. I do agree that there is an overall level of goodwill for the Canadiens that puts them in a special category and is reflected in the numbers. A minority of Leaf fans will actually root for the Canadiens if their team is out of the playoffs -- I doubt the reverse is true.

The big surprise on the hockey Facebook likes, however, is Vancouver, which trumps Toronto. Savvy marketing? Or is it because they've had runs to the finals recently?

Sad to see the CFL so low on internet awareness. I expected all of the western teams to do better.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Good points on Quebec sports culture. I do agree that there is an overall level of goodwill for the Canadiens that puts them in a special category and is reflected in the numbers. A minority of Leaf fans will actually root for the Canadiens if their team is out of the playoffs -- I doubt the reverse is true.
Most Canadiens fans don't cheer for anyone else once the Habs are out of the playoffs!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:59 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The 2001 Grey Cup in Montreal broadcast on CBC only had 2.7 million viewers (I'm sure the RDS numbers would have pushed it higher, but only to a certain point).

Now the divisional finals get that many viewers.
Getting CFL off the CBC was perhaps the most important step in the CFL's recent success.

In a perfect world Sportsnet would also get a piece of the CFL pie. Sportsnet spends very little time with CFL highlights and discussion and if they had a financial interest in it i would imagine they would do a much better job promoting it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada