HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 9:25 AM

….

Last edited by mcminsen; Feb 9, 2016 at 11:14 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 12:09 PM

I really like the new Tellus building in Vancouver.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 10:32 PM

The Mark (2013).

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 1:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax skyline

Source

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 2:42 AM
Look at me!

That must be the best viewing angle of that skyline I've ever seen. I don't think about it much, but halifax's skyline really is nice.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 3:27 AM

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 5:02 AM

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 3:17 PM

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
20150523cc by clvalentini, sur Flickr

Some nice angles. I know that hotel with the revolving restaurant isn't going anywhere but it might not look so bad if they gave it some TLC. Even adding a copper roof like the Skylon Tower would do wonders for it.

Photo by: Gorgolewski

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 5:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Is that copper roof on the Skylon Tower a recent addition? I've been there a few times and never noticed. It looks pretty sharp.

I used to hate 70's concrete buildings because they were out of fashion but my opinion has softened a lot. A lot of them are interesting and retro looking now. Many of them are somewhat hostile to pedestrians but that problem can often be solved without really compromising the tower portions.

As an aside, it's easy for me to see how people would have thought that buildings from, say, the 1930's were just old and boring in about 1960. We should always remember this and be sure to protect the best architectural heritage from only a few decades ago so that it's preserved long enough to become valuable again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
That must be the best viewing angle of that skyline I've ever seen. I don't think about it much, but halifax's skyline really is nice.
I'm not sure exactly where this was taken but it is similar to the view from the Woodside ferry terminal. Both of the ferries there have nice views, as does the Macdonald bridge when you walk over it. Hopefully there will soon be some higher resolution panoramas from these angles. I took some a few years ago but they're now quite out of date.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Is that copper roof on the Skylon Tower a recent addition? I've been there a few times and never noticed. It looks pretty sharp.

I used to hate 70's concrete buildings because they were out of fashion but my opinion has softened a lot. A lot of them are interesting and retro looking now. Many of them are somewhat hostile to pedestrians but that problem can often be solved without really compromising the tower portions.

As an aside, it's easy for me to see how people would have thought that buildings from, say, the 1930's were just old and boring in about 1960. We should always remember this and be sure to protect the best architectural heritage from only a few decades ago so that it's preserved long enough to become valuable again.

I'm not sure exactly where this was taken but it is similar to the view from the Woodside ferry terminal. Both of the ferries there have nice views, as does the Macdonald bridge when you walk over it. Hopefully there will soon be some higher resolution panoramas from these angles. I took some a few years ago but they're now quite out of date.

Yes it's copper, it might have turned green by now. That's why I thought it might be nice on that building in QC to help it tie into the landscape a little more. I also used to dislike most 70's concrete structures but there is a certain Jetson's quality to them that has grown on me. I also like how if concrete is done right it can feel organic.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 6:25 PM

I personally prefer brutalist buildings to assume what they are architecturally. It's a city, not a museum or theme park. I think it's a fine brutalist building and a good example of its era.

The Price building is generally loved nowadays by architecture fans, but when it was built, people were screaming -- a brand new ultra-modern skyscraper in the middle of a neighborhood where everything is of a much smaller scale and already centenarian or older, OMG!!!

Now, I don't think anyone would want to demolish the Price building or put makeup on it to try to make it blend more.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 6:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I personally prefer brutalist buildings to assume what they are architecturally. It's a city, not a museum or theme park. I think it's a fine brutalist building and a good example of its era.

The Price building is generally loved nowadays by architecture fans, but when it was built, people were screaming -- a brand new ultra-modern skyscraper in the middle of a neighborhood where everything is of a much smaller scale and already centenarian or older, OMG!!!
I like most of the 70's towers in Quebec City, although a few of them replaced some nice older buildings. There's a nice sprinkling of them so they add some variety without overwhelming the other buildings.

Halifax is more mixed. Parts of downtown have a mix more like Quebec City, with the odd newer building, but other parts have a concentration of too many 1960's and 70's buildings and they've suffered as a result. The Price Building phenomenon also exists there with the Dominion Building and some of the other larger pre-war structures. I've always found the anti-height arguments of heritage advocates in Halifax strange because the two are not mutually exclusive. There are a few well-liked heritage highrises even in Halifax that the anti-height crowd implicitly suggests never should have been built, and bigger cities like New York are full of excellent older highrises with tons of character. It's bizarre to claim that highrises are categorically harmful to a city's character or incompatible with older buildings.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 6:40 PM

This is how the MNP Tower (143m / 36fl) in Vancouver turned out to look like. Pretty sweet.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 6:43 PM
More transit please

^very nice tower

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 7:10 PM

That's very very nice.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 11:04 PM

Love it !

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's the original 1960s copper roof, it was restored in 2008. A sealant was applied after the restoration to stop it from turning green again.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 3:00 AM
Go Chiefs!

Great looking tower!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 4:23 AM

Most of the major parks around Halifax have some defining structure or historic function:

York Redoubt
DSC_5915 - York Shore Battery by Dennis Jarvis, on Flickr

Fleming Park
IMG_7068 by Lisa Sutt, on Flickr

Shubie Park (Dartmouth)
Shubie Canal, Dartmouth, NS by cherlane2009, on Flickr

Lake Banook (Dartmouth)
naIMG_1394 by Marlies, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada