HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 9:16 PM

Cara was also had Shindico get rezoning approval a few years ago for a new Swiss Chalet next to the Home Depot in St. Vital and that location was never built out either

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 9:50 PM

Nobody will want to go to that underground spot at 201, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Simply drive by Earl's on Main and notice the packed parking lot. Those are the people that will not be going to Earl's if it moves to P&M.

Luckily, Earl's knows that.
I'm not so sure.

If Earl's went anywhere closer to P+M, especially connected to the underground/skywalk, they'd have a strongly increased traffic surge from 300M and even TNS residents, a way bigger jets pregame crowd, increased activity from residents in the exchange, etc...

Plus people find a way to park. I never turn down a good time for lack of parking, and moreso than myself, young people DEFINITELY don't. Hell, people might still park in the existing lots as it's Earl's land.

Thats and there's that parkade...

Plus most of the crowd IN Earls is still from P+M.

The other factor is that there aren't any true plusses to Earl's current site other than parking... it's at an incovenient intersection and far from density...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
There's plenty of parking at P&M.
This.

Furthermore, how do restaurants survive in other downtown's? Those young people in Earl's aren't actually living in downtown Vancouver... They can't afford it... they meet there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
It was announced to be going where the Brown's Social House is currently being built.
It was supposed to be Milestone's. When that went cold, Brown's came along.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Seems that way. Despite Harvey's popularity in Ontario, I just don't think it's very good. Maybe this explains why it hasn't taken off in Winnipeg? Same goes for Swiss Chalet.

A chain burger joint I'd love to see in Winnipeg is Red Robin. They only seem to be in BC and AB, but I used to really like it when I lived in Vancouver. I'd take that anytime over Harvey's.
Im not sure why it didnt take off. I personally love Harveys and always get it anytime I come back from a trip I always grab a meal from Harveys at the airport.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 12:19 AM

Harvey's is awful. It is nowhere near as good as it was decades ago. I love Red Robin.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:18 AM

I've always found Harvey's to be decidedly weak sauce. It feels like Subway and tastes like Burger King. I suppose there is a market for that.

I will be forever grateful for Harvey's however, as when I think of Harvey's, I think of occupying that atrocious empty Chicken Delight at Stafford and Corydon. Or Home Depot. Both of which are good.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Don't forget the French bakery!

Parts of WestK are getting pretty run down.
I've noticed that over the past number of years, north Main aside from Don's Camera shop, the new Tenderloin building and maybe one or two other business the street looks tired and worn out, doesn't help that the road itself north of about Jefferson is in terrible condition.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:04 AM
Spiritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Harvey's is awful. It is nowhere near as good as it was decades ago. I love Red Robin.
I tasted a Harvey's burger when they opened the Corydon @ Stafford location earlier this decade.

The buns were awful. They tasted very similar to BK's (which I also stopped eating), and Subway, which was found that Subway was using a certain "filler" material in their buns.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:09 AM

I cannot give up my BK lol.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Apples and oranges.

Red Robin is considerably higher end than Harveys.

Harveys competes on the same plane as McDs, BK, Wendys, and A&W. Whereas Red Robin would be in direct competition with Montana's, Fionn Macools, Applebees, Kelsey's and Barley Bros.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:19 PM
Aspiring.

What's the deal with Carne Italian Chop House?

I was there before xmas for a work thing and we sampled a fair chunk of the menu - it was all really, really good.

I went back earlier this month for our anniversary dinner after totally talking it up to my husband and it was less than spectacular.
It started out well enough with a small flute of prosecco (gratis) while we looked over the menus. Cocktails were duly ordered (Aperol spritz and vodka martini) and were delivered. In what seems to be increasingly common for restaurants the appetizers were the highlight of the meal. We had the meatballs and the house made spicy sausage and they were both very good, extremely tasty.
I felt slightly condescended to when the server began explaining the meat choices (Japanese beef, Alberta sterling silver, blah blah blah). As the apps had been quite a lot of meat already we opted for pasta -the black magic (squid ink pasta with seafood and onions, lots and lots of onions) and the penne rustica (not much sauce, not much cheese, not much flavour). The green onions with the squid ink pasta(described on the menu as 'frazzled') were very fibrous and difficult to chew much like the ends of asparagus can be. When this was brought to the attention of the server he went to the kitchen and came back with the explanation 'they're frazzled onions'. I kid you not.
He disappeared after that for a long time, only resurfacing to offer dessert menus. We ordered the lemon mascarpone cheesecake on his recommendation and the chocolate tarte. Both small portions but it was actually kind of a relief as neither were that good.
We were long finished and the credit card was already out and waiting by the time we were able to ask for the cheque.
On the way out we saw that the server was otherwise occupied with a very large party in one of the other areas of the restaurant. Unfortunate.
Overall, I might go back but only to find out if the lounge is a better experience. Would not return for dinner.
For the prices, I did not expect other patrons sauntering by our table wearing ripped jeans and backwards-facing ball cap. Or free-range wet-fingered toddlers wandering past.
Too bad, because it is a gorgeous space with nice ambiance.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:33 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Good review. Sadly, that space cannot seem to attract a top-notch restaurant. 295 York was arguably one when it first opened after the building was renovated a decade ago, but then it went downhill and it's been a bunch of overpriced mediocrity since.

As for the ripped jeans and ballcap crowd, that's a fact of life in just about any establishment in this city. The only place in town where I'd be surprised to see something like that is Sydney's, mainly because it tries hard to be a classy restaurant (as opposed to a nakedly "high end" restaurant like 529), and it's also a little below the radar.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
West K is a bit weird... it projects a certain upper middle class feeling, but it's clear that most upper middle class people have more or less abandoned
West K historically had a large population base from the upper-middle Jewish community that has mostly moved on to newer neighbourhoods. That is why you still see some impressive older homes but can also sense the people living there don't really match the appearance anymore. It is also why Main St used to be known to have some good restaurants but less so currently as most of the places targeting that same demographic have either closed or moved on.

In terms of 201 Portage and a higher-end place, it seems perfectly ripe for valet service. Pull up your car in the loop at the edge of the court yard and drop off to the valet. They could then use the day parking only spots in the secured underground portion of the attached parkade. Could bring something with that big city urban feel to Winnipeg and help further set 201 Portage apart from other buildings downtown. Further, they could even offer the same style valet service for office tenants during the day. Doing little things like landing a higher end restaurant/bar and offering valet service is going to really help 201 Portage pull in a higher class of office tenants and position them to strongly compete is the upcoming battle for office tenants.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:37 PM

A bunch of new fast food outlets are opening at the Outlet Mall:

https://www.outletcollectionwinnipeg...ryId=56&level2

New Ones to Winnipeg
- BarBurrito
- Big Smoke Burger
- ChaChi's
- Freshly Squeezed
- Shanghai 360
- SushiShop

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:42 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post

New Ones to Winnipeg
- BarBurrito
- Big Smoke Burger
- ChaChi's
- Freshly Squeezed
- Shanghai 360
- SushiShop
Shanghai 360 is my Pearson Airport guilty pleasure. It's basically mall food court Chinese moved out of the 80s and into the present. De-lish.

No idea about the rest of them.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
For the prices, I did not expect other patrons sauntering by our table wearing ripped jeans and backwards-facing ball cap. Or free-range wet-fingered toddlers wandering past.
Unfortunately, this seems to be a fact of life in most Winnipeg restaurants. I remember when Hy's wouldn't let you in without a jacket. Last time I was at Hy's, Taz Stuart sauntered in wearing shorts and flip flops with a couple of 'free-range' toddlers/kids in tow. Casual is a fact of life now.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:50 PM
Heart of the Continent

I don't see why people care about that at all.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:

New Ones to Winnipeg
- BarBurrito
- Big Smoke Burger
- ChaChi's
- Freshly Squeezed
- Shanghai 360
- SushiShop
Chachi's is a Calgary institution that is expanding both east and westward. Great sandwich shop, doesn't compare to subway, think higher end (mac and cheese pulled pork sandwich is amazing).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
A bunch of new fast food outlets are opening at the Outlet Mall
I know in the US a lot of outlet malls run a food court that basically has vendors operated by the landlord instead of the typical outsourced fair at other malls. Not sure how the Winnipeg one is being operated but won't be surprised if it is landlord backed banners which explains the "new the Winnipeg" trend.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 7:50 PM

Article in today's FreePress says that Brown's Roadhouse in Centerpoint is expected to open next month.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Apples and oranges.

Red Robin is considerably higher end than Harveys.

Harveys competes on the same plane as McDs, BK, Wendys, and A&W. Whereas Red Robin would be in direct competition with Montana's, Fionn Macools, Applebees, Kelsey's and Barley Bros.
I did not compare them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan