Bank of America Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 8:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdagreatest View Post
People can complain about spires, but I think it's great that architects and developers are leaving marks on the skyline again.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:45 PM
▓▒░

^Fantastic shot!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 11:16 PM
Ascension

NY Times = Modernism
Conde Nast = Industrialism
BofA = Futurism

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 10:57 AM
BANNED

Many design-build remodeling contractors have in-house designers or collaborate with them on projects. Anybody can design something if they have the skill, the software and some training. The question becomes, how well is it designed and how much engineering will it take to satisfy both the builder and the planning department. When doing a remodel that affects the existing structure of the home it is vital to bring in a qualified design team.

======================
Berkline Furniture

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 4:13 AM
JoeCooper

Lightbulb BofA's roof height is 954 feet, floor count is 58.

Here's a message I sent to a moderator about a week ago, he suggested I put in in this thread. If anyone wants any more proof regarding the figures let me know. One thing is certain, the blueprints and renderings including the wind turbine are long outdated. That was before more floors were added and it was also before the wind turbine was eliminated. Also if you look at the first renderings of what the building will look like, you can see a lot more glass towards the top since there were no floors planned at that time. Including the 7 private floors which are mechanical, there are a total of 58 floors.

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1
Hello,

During random times, such as on my way to work on occasions or when curiosity strikes, I search the web for the dementions listed for the Bank of America Tower that explain how without the spire it is 9 feet taller than originally planned.

I read in an article today that the minimum floor to floor height of any of the floors is 14.5 feet and the maximum floor to floor height is 23 feet. The highest floor was originally planned to be 814 or 820 feet in the early stages, but when more floors where added throughout design changes, I'm sure the dementions changed as well such as angle measurments and heights including the highest floor which is at 881 after everything was all said and done. I measured the floor to floor heights on the top glass layers (equivalent to five floor measurments each are also 14.5 feet in height.

With the five glass layers at the top of the top of the highest occupied floor (58th) the building would really be 63 floors (if the top 5 were occupied). I took 14.5 times 5 and got 72.5 feet which consists of the 5 levels of glass layers above the 881 feet of occupied floors and got 953.5 and then rounded it to 954 feet. Another way I figured was to take 953.5 and subtracted 881 and got 72.5, divided it by 5 and got a dead even 14.5 which made sense since the average floor to floor height on the occupied floors is 14.5 feet and measured the same.

Another thing that backs this up that the building is at least 950 feet is by the observations from the GE building and the Empire State Building. If you are looking from the Empire State Building (1050 feet) toward the roof of the GE building (850 feet) or vise versa, the roof of BofA rises slightly above the view, and the BofA tower is almost directly in between the GE building (53rd) and the ESB (34th).

Also, the news and suprises with this project just keep getting better! Not only is the wedge lit up, but so is the entire crown (consisting of the 7 private floors and 5 glass levels) and spire! Giving it the place it deserves with its lighting scheme at night. Being the brightest and displaying itself the most in the city as of now right behind the ESB and more than the Chrysler Building.

Just thought I'd chime in on what I've come up with over the last few months with some observations I've made about the building the last few months and looking back on all the changes in plans that took place from the beginning of construction to completion. Thanks for taking the time as always for your great work in bringing us geeks the invaluable facts, photos and information that you do.

- Chapin

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 12:12 AM

taken by me

always wondered is BoFa kinda fat on the bottom because of 9/11? couldnt the tower have been larger with smaller floorplates? was this BoFa's way of not building too high because of advice given after 9/11?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 3:30 PM

I doubt it. Frankly larger floorplates are more attractive to big corporations, and they always have been. That's why you see those giant office towers down on water street. They all have massive floor area, some of the biggest in New York, and yet they barely hit 700 feet. I would certainly have loved BofA to be thinner, but with such a huge plot I think the final result came out ok compared to some of the other massive buildings in the city.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 3:39 PM
Editor

Shots from flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bostonc...56125/sizes/l/) and SSC

What a beautiful tower!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 9:39 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
always wondered is BoFa kinda fat on the bottom because of 9/11? couldnt the tower have been larger with smaller floorplates? was this BoFa's way of not building too high because of advice given after 9/11?
This building was designed to headquarter BofA’s Capital Markets trading division, hence the large lower floor plates.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 11:06 AM

Took this one on Sunday.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 4:15 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Great vanishing point and reflection being cast on that smaller tower.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 2:55 PM

Hong Kong..Shanghai....Dubai...Chicago....all other cities just fail to capture my heart and mind like New York does....

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 3:10 PM
Editor

Quote:
Hong Kong..Shanghai....Dubai...Chicago....all other cities just fail to capture my heart and mind like New York does....
I agree to 100%!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 3:44 PM
don't *meddle*...

i love the BofA tower, it gives so much depth to NY's ever transforming skyline. great shots btw..

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 3:52 PM
Editor

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Highly disagree, Hong Kong and Chicago are equally as brilliant.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Highly disagree, Hong Kong and Chicago are equally as brilliant.
hehe and thats where i'll hightly disagree with you

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 2:20 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Whoever says NYC's skyline is dark at night is dead-wrong. Just look no further than those last panoramic shots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture