HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

400 Park Avenue South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:08 PM
BANNED

No one knows if it's being redesigned.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 9:37 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ket-in-12.html

Toll Brothers Sees NYC as Best Home Market in ’12

By Oshrat Carmiel
Jan 11, 2012

Quote:
New York City is going to be the strongest housing market for Toll Brothers Inc. (TOL) in 2012, Chief Executive Officer Douglas Yearley Jr. said today. “New York City. Absolutely,” Yearley said in an interview on Bloomberg Television's ``InsideTrack.''

Last month, Toll said it was forming a joint venture with Equity Residential, the largest publicly traded U.S. apartment owner, to build a 40-story tower on Manhattan’s Park Avenue. The bottom 22 floors will house retail and rental apartments and be operated by Chicago-based Equity Residential. (EQR) Toll’s portion will consist of condominiums on the upper 18 floors.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 3:40 AM
BANNED

I saw the interview and hoped that he would comment specifically on this project. He's clearly fixated on NY. I see no evidence yet that Toll is not retaining the current design.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:33 PM
BANNED

New building permits were filed on 3 Feb 2012 which show Handel Architects (i.e., the local architect for de Portzamparc, as the architect of record). The permit identifies the same format as the structure originally designed by de Portzamparc, and both Handel's and de Portzamparc's website show the original design.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:42 PM
Khurram Parvaz

So the design stays. Great.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:46 PM

Great news RW. I'm going to reserve any celebrations until we officially hear that the old design is what will be built. But that's certainly a good sign.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Great news RW. I'm going to reserve any celebrations until we officially hear that the old design is what will be built. But that's certainly a good sign.
I agree.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 1:36 PM

Fantastic!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:47 PM
BANNED

GREAT NEWS!!!!

http://www.observer.com/2012/02/mon-...ll-and-equity/

Mon Dieu! After a Decade, Christian de Portzamparc’s Park Avenue Shard Actually Being Built By Toll and Equity
By Matt Chaban 10:21am LAST 0 / 10NEXT
Start The Slideshow

“The project is now 10 years old, it’s time to build it!”

That was Andre Terzibachian’s response when The Observer emailed him about 400 Park Avenue South on Friday. A partner at Atelier Christian de Portzamparc, Mr. Terzibachian is responsible for many of the firm’s projects in New York, where the Pritzker Prize-winning Frenchman has had a number of surprising successes: the jagged LVMH North American headquarters on 57th Street; the skyline-redefining, outrageously priced One57 now rising a few blocks to the west; and beyond that, abutting the Hudson River, a daring complex of five towers at Riverside South.

All the while, 400 Park Avenue South was in the works the middle of Manhattan as a small-time developer tried, and eventually failed, to get an ambitious project off the ground. (Oddly enough, it is the only of Mr. de Portzamparc’s projects not somewhere on 57th Street.) Construction was set to begin after years of development and zoning approvals. Then the recession hit. In December, the site was sold to a partnership of two of the nation’s biggest builders, Toll Brothers and Sam Zell’s Equity Residential. It was not clear at the time what the fate of this crystalline castle would be, but it turns out Mr. de Portzamparc will be planting another shard in the New York skyline after all.
On February 3, Handel Architects filed a slew of new construction documents for a 42-story residential tower at 400 Park Avenue South with the Department of Buildings. Handel had been the architect of record for de Portzamparc’s earlier project (most out-of-town designers must team up with a local firm to file construction documents on its behalf), so it seemed promising that the eagerly anticipated tower would soon rise. David Von Spreckelsen, a senior vice president at Toll and head of its New York office, confirmed that Mr. de Portzamparc was indeed on board for the project. He is still designing the facade, as had originally been planned, a design that has not changed much, for reasons both aesthetic and practical.

The new team did not want a “Joe Blow building,” as Mr. Von Spreckelsen put it. But there was also the fact that the previous developers went to so much trouble getting their project designed and then approved by the city. To switch architects and do it all over again would probably have been more expensive than simply adopting Mr. de Portzamparc’s progressive designs for the tower at the corner of 28th Street. “If we wanted to abandon that design, we could have actually built something much taller, but it was a sort of pencil building going straight up,” Mr. Von Spreckelsen said. “At the end of the day, it was too inefficient, because too much of it would have been taken up by the core. You weren’t going to have the living space on the floors.”

There will be one small alteration to the design, using a different type of glass that offers greater energy efficiency, a nod to the recently passed green building codes, but otherwise the tower will look almost exactly the same.
Keeping the same architects also meant the project could start almost immediately. “The documents were (almost completely) ready since we were supposed to deposit the building permit a few years ago, so we were able with Handel to get things done rapidly,” Mr. Terzibachian wrote in his email. Groundbreaking is set to commence in May, Mr. Von Spreckelsen said, with an expected completion by the end of 2014.

Mr. Von Spreckelsen said Toll Brothers was especially excited about the project because of the unique arrangement it had reached with Equity Residential, whereby the latter is building rentals on the bottom half of the building while the former builds condos on the 20 floors on top. “They’re taking the first 22 floors, so our condo units are starting at 250 feet in the air, so every unit has a pretty great view,” Mr. Von Spreckelsen said.

And the unique design should appeal not only to those living inside the building.

“It’s obviously really going to change the way Park Avenue South looks,” Mr. Von Spreckelsen said. “I know that it’s one of Christian’s favorite buildings he’s ever designed, and I know the city administration loves it, so I think it’s going to be great for everyone.”

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:17 PM

Awesome news!! They can't start soon enough, this one has been a long time coming.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:22 PM

This has always been one of my favorite proposals in the city, regardless of height. The shape is incredible, and it has to have the coolest subway entrance in the city. This is an incredible addition. Thank god they kept the current design and didn't just go with a skinny tall glass box.

By the way, I know that stretch of Pak isn't very tall, but this has go to be at least twice the height of most other buildings along Park Ave South.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:35 PM
JACKinBeantown

My only problem is the lack of street level retail. That's one of the things that makes NYC great... unlike most cities with car cultures, there is something personal for all the people walking on the sidewalk in front of most NYC buildings. Oh well, otherwise is pretty good for one of them newfangled "broken glass" buildings. It will be BofA's little brother.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
My only problem is the lack of street level retail.
The building will have street level retail. It's a requirement on all Manhattan avenues, and major east-west streets.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
By the way, I know that stretch of Pak isn't very tall, but this has go to be at least twice the height of most other buildings along Park Ave South.
Not really. There are many 600+ foot buildings in the area. It's right next to the NY Life tower, for example, which is 618 ft.

I would certainly say that stretch of Park Avenue has many highrises.

That's really my only problem with this building. 476 ft. is too short to have a major skyline impact.

I know height isn't everything, but I would like to see what the much taller option would look like. A 700-800 ft. box, if done well, would be nice too. But there are plenty of development sites in this general vicinity, and we'll get taller towers than 400 PAS.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Not really. There are many 600+ foot buildings in the area. It's right next to the NY Life tower, for example, which is 618 ft.

I would certainly say that stretch of Park Avenue has many highrises.

That's really my only problem with this building. 476 ft. is too short to have a major skyline impact.

I know height isn't everything, but I would like to see what the much taller option would look like. A 700-800 ft. box, if done well, would be nice too. But there are plenty of development sites in this general vicinity, and we'll get taller towers than 400 PAS.
Manhattan has plenty of 700 to 800 ft boxes IMO, its nice to see a change and a building with attention to detail, even if its relatively short.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 7:16 PM

One of my oldest friends lives on the northeast corner of 28th and PAS, 26th floor over looking this site. I'm very excited to see that this design is going to be built and have been waiting so long for this day.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The building will have street level retail. It's a requirement on all Manhattan avenues, and major east-west streets.
That's not true. This is a residential building and retail is not required. I don't know the technicalities but from what I see going through Manhattan is that most residential buildings and hotels on Fifth Avenue, for instance, have no retail.

Sometimes a big beautiful lobby is better for the streetscape than retail. There is enough retail in the area.

Last edited by 599GTO; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
DENNAB

what an amazing design!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
World Machine

Great news on the design - I've been looking forward to this one.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 12:47 AM
BANNED

I predict that another stunning landmark will rise at 855 6th, not too far from here. Stay tuned!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive