HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Time Warner Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:57 AM
World Machine

I've always been a big fan of these towers; a perfect fit. They've also aged well … hard to believe it has been over a decade.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

Hey everybody...

Look, I don't want to derail this thread or anything but looking at all these unbelievable photos of the growing CPS skyline it has me thinking if there could ever be a scenario in which the TimeWarner Center is renovated and vertically expanded to take better advantage of its' location? Who would have thought it would look so stumpy in such short time? Can anyone imagine a development that short proposed in that location today? It's almost laughable...

Thoughts?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:26 PM

Columbus Circle really has some unfortunate architecture. Time Warner is the least of the oddballs. The bigger oddballs are the Museum of Art and Design and the Trump tower. Both should be demolished and redeveloped.

The Trump tower is right next to the most valuable real estate in NYC, directly on CPW, on a flatiron lot with iconic placement on 8th avenue and Broadway, and it's a tacky 70's brass box with a hood ornament from Queens.

It should be on par with 15CPW and the rest of the Art Deco masterpieces.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:37 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
...The bigger oddballs are the Museum of Art and Design and the Trump tower. Both should be demolished and redeveloped.

The Trump tower is right next to the most valuable real estate in NYC, directly on CPW, on a flatiron lot with iconic placement on 8th avenue and Broadway, and it's a tacky 70's brass box with a hood ornament from Queens.

It should be on par with 15CPW and the rest of the Art Deco masterpieces.
Trump Tower (on Columbus Circle) was originally the Gulf and Western Building and it had a different facade.
Philip Johnson designed the renovation. The entire tower was stripped and rebuilt basically.
I think it's a perfectly fine international modernist building. There are far, far worse tall buildings in the city.
I don't think it's going anywhere or being changed anytime soon.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:06 PM

You never know. Apartments are selling at a loss at that building. And who are the owners? Trump Org. and the GE Pension Trust? They both might want to sell in the future.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Hey everybody...

Look, I don't want to derail this thread or anything but looking at all these unbelievable photos of the growing CPS skyline it has me thinking if there could ever be a scenario in which the TimeWarner Center is renovated and vertically expanded to take better advantage of its' location?
You know it was originally intended as a supertall, right? Through NIMBYs fought it bitterly down to the current height.In fact, NIMBYs thought the final height was still outrageous, which seems absurd in the present context.

If the city's economy hadn't tanked in the early 90's, we probably would have had twin supertalls on Columbus Circle, since the city had approved a massive proposal from Kalikow Development back then.

I doubt the TWC (soon to be the DB Center since Deutsche is moving HQ here) will be altered anytime soon. But the adjacent Moinian-owned midrise office tower will probably one day be a residential supertall (Related tried this, but failed to come to agreement with Moinian about 10 years ago).

The whole 57th Street corridor is just getting started with supertalls. If you think TWC looks silly now, in 20 years it will be ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:25 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Aside from the Park Lane proposal, I might have read here about only one or two others.

Is there at least a partially concrete number of pipelined deals out there?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Aside from the Park Lane proposal, I might have read here about only one or two others.

There are no other Billionaire's Row towers currently u/c.

But there are about a half dozen assemblages, including one by Durst, one by Vornado, two by Solow and one by Extell. You can see visual evidence on Google Streetview, such as on 57th just east of 6th Ave., where you see a cleared vacant lot on south side (that's a Durst assemblage), and there's a cluster of partially vacant buildings on the north side (that was an assemblage by a Jewish social services organization).

Assembling sites in Manhattan can take decades, because you have to wait out rent-controlled tenants and covertly buy properties under hidden names to not arouse suspicion.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 12:32 AM
Desert Dweller

While we ended up with a great pair of ultra sleek towers, I do wish they were much taller especially now their new neighbors. The site has a long history of failed taller proposals.

Eli Attia's 1984 proposal which would have soared 137 stories high.

Source: https://www.6sqft.com/trumps-flubs-t...ilding-in-nyc/

Murphy/Jahn's alternative 1984 proposal which would have been 135 stories high.

Source: https://www.6sqft.com/trumps-flubs-t...ilding-in-nyc/

Moshe Safdie's 1985 design. While it is a bit of a postmodern nightmare, the towers are undeniably iconic and would have been quite a sight to see!

Source: http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic...3691&p=2014637

Source: https://www.domusweb.it/en/architect...s-unbuilt.html

David Child's 1989 proposal, another great postmodern design, IMO.

Source: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...york-city.html

Source: http://www.caroun.com/Architecture/A...vidChilds.html

Robert A.M. Stern's 1995 proposal was quite graceful and would have complimented 220 Central Park South and 15 Central Park West nicely.

Source: https://www.6sqft.com/inside-the-min...ral-renderers/

Ultimately we ended up with a great design anyways but it would have been interesting to see some of these built instead!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 9:23 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Ultimately we ended up with a great design anyways but it would have been interesting to see some of these built instead!
Thanks for compiling all that.

Imo, although the current complex is nice I'd rather have any of those proposals except the maybe the first.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post

I know it's inevitable but I hope they leave the Park Lane alone...at least for a little while longer. I got married there. But being one of the most valuable pieces of real-estate in Manhattan, it's days are numbered.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 3:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Doesn't have the same ring to it...

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...1-1m-sf-lease/

Time Warner Center Renamed for Deutsche Bank, Thanks to 1.1M-SF Lease

BY MAX GROSS
DECEMBER 8, 2018

Quote:
Commercial Observer can first report that the Time Warner Center is going to be officially renamed the Deutsche Bank Center, thanks to the fact that Deutsche Bank has officially leased 1.1 million square feet at the One Columbus Circle complex, taking all the available office space except for the building’s 20th floor.

A source that CO spoke to said that the lease was for 25 years, and clocking in at more than 1 million square feet, the deal makes it the second-largest lease of the year. Deutsche should be moving in to the complex in the third quarter of 2021.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 12:17 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Throwback to the Columbus Circle saga discussed here (27 min in)....

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:27 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Does they still have those fat naked statues in the lobby?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 3:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Does they still have those fat naked statues in the lobby?
Haven't been up there in a while. I'll have to check.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 2:53 PM
New Yorker for life

The kinds of headlines you don't want to see...

https://nypost.com/2023/08/17/man-ju...riental-hotel/

Man split in half after jumping 750 feet to his death from roof of ritzy Mandarin Hotel

By Joe Marino, Larry Celona, Patrick Reilly and Katherine Donlevy
August 17, 2023

Quote:
A man jumped 750 feet to his death from the roof of a five-star Manhattan hotel on Thursday night, according to police.

Police believe the man leaped from the top of the ritzy Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Columbus Circle shortly after 9 p.m., police and sources said.

The unidentified man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The hotel lies on the top 19 floors of the 55-story Deutsche Bank Center tower, which is also home to some of Hollywood’s most elite celebrities.

Actress Cynthia Nixon, model Gisele Bündchen and musician Jay-Z are just some of the A-listers who once owned residences in the tower, which lies on “Billionaire’s Row.”

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture