HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
"Report rejects taxi app plan
Hara's report rejects a plan from the taxi companies to create a universal app that could be used across the province, writing that "the monopoly aspects of the proposal are found to be risky and unnecessary."

Hara also recommends:
  • Allowing taxis to charge discounted fares when rides are booked by app.
  • Requiring all companies to report and share trip data electronically.
  • Replacing the requirement for Class 4 driver permit, possibly with a Class 5 permit, combined with a mandatory training program.
  • Launching a program to fund more accessible taxi service.
  • Creating a usage-based insurance option for part-time drivers.
"

Hold on a second. A universal app that can be utilized by the multitude of taxi companies, each having their own monopoly in the jurisdiction they are allowed to operate in will be considered a monopoly? The reason why people like Uber is because of the app and how much more convenient it is to now have to google the only taxi company allowed to operate in the area you're in, in order to get a taxi to get somewhere. Saves a bunch of steps if you can just open an app and hit a button that says "I need a cab from point a to point b, here is the payment". Hop in and hop out!

Stupidest thing I've ever read!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 11:42 PM

Having used Uber extensively in Mexico, I think it's ridiculous we will only have it here Fall 2019 at the earliest. I also think it's ridiculous that the province artificially limits the supply of taxi medallions. What's the problem with just letting the number of taxi licenses fluctuate with market demand?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 12:18 AM

Haven't the taxi companies tried creating an app numerous times and still nothing seems to improve the experience. Just a few weeks ago, me and a friend tried one of the taxi apps and it seemed atrocious compared to Uber.

In any case, the ridesharing situation is just embarrassing and frustrating. When I was in London, I grew to love Uber and from what I heard from friends there it's just better than the local taxi companies since it's cheaper and the taxi companies seemed to stop innovating.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 12:35 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Good luck trying to convince the NDP to legalize ridsharing (Uber and Lyft) since they are so strung on the taxi donor companies that vote for them. ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by Firebrand; Jul 20, 2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Redundancy

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Good luck trying to convince the NDP to legalize ridsharing (Uber and Lyft) since they are so strung on the taxi donor companies that vote for them. ಠ_ಠ
Well they can't donate anymore thanks to the campaign finance restrictions they put in place.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 12:59 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
Well they can't donate anymore thanks to the campaign finance restrictions they put in place.
( ͡ಠ ʖ̯ ͡ಠ)

Then why are they so stubborn to make ridesharing legal in this province?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:16 AM

Only Moe Sihota, the Vancouver taxi industry and the NDP would think this is a good idea. They just need to add an automatic 5% surcharge donation to the NDP to make this an excellent idea.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
If I’m not mistaken the taxi drivers association donated almost as much to the B.C. Libs as to the NDP.

Regardless it’s a stupid decision. Driving down Granville today I saw not one but two taxis involved in accidents. Cab drivers are the worst driver, I feel much safer driving with someone actually driving their own vehicle.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
If I’m not mistaken the taxi drivers association donated almost as much to the B.C. Libs as to the NDP.

Regardless it’s a stupid decision. Driving down Granville today I saw not one but two taxis involved in accidents. Cab drivers are the worst driver, I feel much safer driving with someone actually driving their own vehicle.
A quick search on FRPC yields well over $500,000 in contributions to both parties since 2005. And who knows how much they gave before that time.

Hopefully the change in political contribution rules stems the tide and cutting off the addiction to taxi cartel cash will spur some movement on ridesharing.

It's so weird that the NDP is not seeing this for the easy win that it is. Most BCers favour allowing some form of competition into the marketplace to, at the very least, force the incumbent providers to get better at providing their services. Why make this the hill you want to die on, to dig your heels in, when the government could score easy points here? Makes no sense.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
A quick search on FRPC yields well over $500,000 in contributions to both parties since 2005. And who knows how much they gave before that time.

Hopefully the change in political contribution rules stems the tide and cutting off the addiction to taxi cartel cash will spur some movement on ridesharing.

It's so weird that the NDP is not seeing this for the easy win that it is. Most BCers favour allowing some form of competition into the marketplace to, at the very least, force the incumbent providers to get better at providing their services. Why make this the hill you want to die on, to dig your heels in, when the government could score easy points here? Makes no sense.
The Straight speculated last year the NDP did so well with South Asian voters in part due to this issue:
https://www.straight.com/news/909061...opularity-uber

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:31 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

It sounds like the NDP is thick as molasses when it comes to issues with the taxi industry (the BC Liberals aren’t much different).

Edit: Nevermind. whatnext’s post was sent a minute before I did. This is one of these things where a lot of voters don’t get what they want because the gov’t panders to a specific group of people.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post

A "quick" search entails what? Anything related to "taxi"? I think a strong moneybag/vote grab is stronger than votes from people who want ridesharing.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 4:44 PM

The hold that the taxi cartel has over politicians in this province is comical.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure