HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 10:48 PM

I wonder if they'd be allowed to build a bigger floorplate (in the middle of the site) and if that helps the economics of an 80 floor tower.
I would be cool if they built a symmetrical tower with steps or shoulders (not like the cascading steps of tower 6).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 4:21 PM

Would they not be allowed to build a larger floorplate on the perimeter of the site?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Would they not be allowed to build a larger floorplate on the perimeter of the site?
They've already pretty much eaten up all the perimeter plots. I'm guessing a center massing would give them nicer views to the north versus looking at a bunch of towers similarly high looking south.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 8:13 AM

Yeah, I just said middle because that's what's left undeveloped - but there is the rear perimter, but that'll step down to the houses.

I do like the built forms along Lougheed and Willingdon better than the equivalent monolithic streetwalls at Oakridge.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
With the removal of parking minimums wouldn't taller towers potentially be more economically viable?
On a personal level, I would never consider purchasing a $600k 1 bedroom apartment without a parking spot included.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 10:37 PM

Amazing Brentwood sent out a notice that the presentation centre is permanently closing on February 25th to make way for future phases.
So Tower 7 is coming up soon.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Amazing Brentwood sent out a notice that the presentation centre is permanently closing on February 25th to make way for future phases.
So Tower 7 is coming up soon.
Tower 7 just went through third reading and an amendment to correct a site surveying problem. Includes a dog wash station on the ground floor.

https://pub-burnaby.escribemeetings....cumentId=74654

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:47 PM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:33 AM

There's a building permit for L1 Tower 3 for a new CRU for CIBC from Dec 2023

https://www.burnaby.ca/sites/default...ber-1-2023.pdf

And November 22, 2023

Quote:
Partial Demolition of portion of Brentwood Town Centre building (formerly the Zellers) "The Amazing Brentwood"
https://www.burnaby.ca/sites/default...er-22-2023.pdf

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 4:49 AM

They're doing an Open House for the TAB zoning amendments April 2 at the food court

https://yourvoice.burnaby.ca/brentwo...lan-amendments

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 1:59 AM

the are wraps/signage for the Scotia Bank going into the space next to the Cannabis store, the space to the west.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 2:15 PM

Two more towers up to 80 storeys tall, more rental housing could be coming to Burnaby’s Brentwood
The city wants public feedback on proposed changes to the Brentwood Town Centre development plan.
Lauren Vanderdeen

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...ntwood-8461795

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 6:55 PM

The original proposal for phase 1 had 70 storey towers, but we ended up with 50 storey towers, so you'll excuse me if I don't hold my breath on seeing an 80 storey tower there (or anywhere else, to be fair) any time soon.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
The original proposal for phase 1 had 70 storey towers, but we ended up with 50 storey towers, so you'll excuse me if I don't hold my breath on seeing an 80 storey tower there (or anywhere else, to be fair) any time soon.
They went forward with a plan with towers between 45-70 storeys in the SW Quadrant in the Brentwood Town Centre plan.

2013: "The Brentwood Town Centre master conceptual plan divided the 11.5-hectare site at 4515 and 4567 Lougheed Hwy. into four quadrants for development, with the first phase including two residential towers that could range in height from 45 to 70 storeys at the corner of Willingdon Avenue and Lougheed Highway."

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...change-2932410

The NW quadrant had towers from 35 to 55 storeys and they are delivering Tower 5 a 53 storeys and Tower 7 is a 56 storey tower.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 7:49 PM

Bye Bye old mall?

"The amended plan doesn’t change the amount of allowed commercial density, but it would mean 49 per cent of the commercial density could be used as market rental apartments, called commercial rental, and the remaining commercial density for traditional commercial purposes such as retail, office or hotel uses, according to the report."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Bye Bye old mall?

"The amended plan doesn’t change the amount of allowed commercial density, but it would mean 49 per cent of the commercial density could be used as market rental apartments, called commercial rental, and the remaining commercial density for traditional commercial purposes such as retail, office or hotel uses, according to the report."
It wouldn't surprise me.
That mall was effectively dead.

Either killed off by disruption caused by the extended construction period of the first phase of this project, or the shopping habits of people in the area have just changed and adapted to make it unfeasible to have a mall there.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Bye Bye old mall?

But weren't they already well under the permitted commercial allowed for on the site even with the mall reno plan that was most recently proposed? With the increased residential seems like keeping a strong commercial component makes even more sense at this point.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
But weren't they already well under the permitted commercial allowed for on the site even with the mall reno plan that was most recently proposed? With the increased residential seems like keeping a strong commercial component makes even more sense at this point.
Their 2021 rezoning for the commercial element reduced the total commercial space from 1.24m sq ft to 1.08m sq ft, including the retail plaza already developed, so yes, you're right they were already proposing far less commercial than their zoning would allow.

The new rezoning adds a lot of additional residential potential (both height and density) including two towers where the mall refurb was to be built. It's entirely unclear (to me) how the actual development will now get built (in terms of what goes where). Clearly those towers have to have residential entries, and cores, so that's got to come out of the mall space. I'd be shocked if they built any more office space, other than maybe in a podium of a tower, but they might add a hotel.

The only clarity in the Council report is that they can now turn half their commercial potential into rental residential, and they're proposing a retail/restaurant face to Ridgelawn Drive, on the eastern side of the site.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Two more towers up to 80 storeys tall, more rental housing could be coming to Burnaby’s Brentwood
The city wants public feedback on proposed changes to the Brentwood Town Centre development plan.
Lauren Vanderdeen

You can see that there are 12 storey podiums next to the 80 storey towers
- I doubt those would allow for expansive (mall-like) retail spaces at grade.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:16 PM

[QUOTE=officedweller;10174532]You can see that there are 12 storey podiums next to the 80 storey towers
- I doubt those would allow for expansive (mall-like) retail spaces at grade.

How do you vote against this proposal? They Just want to cram more and more people which means more crowded park schools etc. Plus getting rid of the mall is a terrible idea... This area will already be dense enough. I really hope this gets voted down, stick with the original plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley