HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 2:35 PM
E pluribus unum

Relocation Questions

Hi guys,

Wasn't sure where in this area to post, but I guess this is as good as any place:

I'm considering the possibility of relocating to Portland and was hoping some of you would be able to help give some guidance as to the best way to go about doing that. I currently live in Phoenix, but with the recession, our local economy has taken a nosedive (we're in the top five, if not leading the nation, in home foreclosures) and the job market is downright stagnant. I've also been looking into moving back to Southern California (I went to college in Orange County), but the economy's not much better there, and the cost of living is astronomical.

I've tried doing some research online but haven't found a lot of info about whether or not the faltering economy is hitting Portland as hard as it is the rest of the country, and was wondering if anyone had some info about that, or could give their perspective? I've signed up for a couple of job search websites (one of which was oregonlive.com through The Oregonian) but was wondering if any of you knew of other means to go about looking for Portland area jobs (I'm mostly looking for administrative/clerical work). From what I can tell, the cost of living is about the same in Portland as it is in Phoenix, but I don't know if the wages are comparable, or how competetive the market is?

I'm also interested in pursuing my masters degree at Portland State and was curious if any of you went to PSU and could offer your opinion of the school?

Any info you guys have would be much appreciated. I've looked at sites like Craigslist for jobs and housing just to get an idea of the costs, but with the recession, moving anywhere is a pretty big risk right now. I've been to Portland a couple of times in the past and fell in love with the city, but any insider information about job hunting, where to live and school would greatly help.

Thanks!

Ryan aka Buckeye Native 001

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion