HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:37 AM

I like this modern take on the Vancouver special. This development is just west of Tsawassen Mills.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I like this modern take on the Vancouver special. This development is just west of Tsawassen Mills.
Pretty nice. Any pics of the back? Wonder if its a detached garage or built in. Also, I would assume 3 story would make better use of the space and I always assumed that was the best way to go now.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:31 AM

The TFN lands are one of the few places building new SFH subdivions. It is certainly an odd thing to see in such a big new mixed use project, which are normally dominated by condos. This area now truly runs the scale from new SFH, townhouses, condos, rentals, mall retail, big box retail, light industrial, and borderline full industrial if we include Deltaport. The only thing they are missing is offices, which is good, because it would've made little sense there are waste space that could be used for much better use. I am happy to see all the light industrial (Amazon, and others) and there is quite a lot more of it to come. The LM is critically low for industrial/warehousing from scratch, so this area is a boon. I love urban areas and highrises of course, but something is also satisfying with seeing a huge scale neighbourhood transformation like this. Even the SFH parts look like a smaller footprint than big lots elsewhere, so I feel like it will seem more compact than expected.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
it is a massive building for the area and together with other logistics centres under constructions there is will eat huge swaths of the former farmland. It is somehow sad to see when you drive by it.
Do you want to be the one to tell the TFN what they can and can't do with the land. Good luck with that.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 7:30 AM

Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store has just opened a store at Tsawwassen Mills.

https://stores.poloralphlaurenfactor...canoe-pass-way

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store has just opened a store at Tsawwassen Mills.

https://stores.poloralphlaurenfactor...canoe-pass-way
The mall that everyone here said would fail. Bah!

Ron.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 3:11 AM

Quote:
The rebirth of westcoast modern?
(ie cathedral ceilings?)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 7:51 AM

I went shopping today at Tsawwassen Mills. A few stores have closed, mainly ones we have heard about in the press shutting down.

There was a Kate Spade that wasn't there last time I went close to a year ago.

The Restaurant at the Bass Pro seems to be gone, all the signage has been taken down for it and I assume the bowling alley is gone too, never went inside as you can only enter the store from the outside entrance due to Covid.

The Polo store is fairly small compared to the McArthur Glen store but has a good selection and is much cleaner and better kept, and painted in bright white, looks nice.

Also stopped at the Walmart, the parking lot was again fairly stark, and the inside was quite dead compared to most Walmarts. The Homesense was very well stocked and very organized and clean and I assume it's because it's just not a busy location and isn't as picked over as the busier locations are. Found some good books that were on clearance that barely last a few days at say the Coquitlam or Cambie location.

Also a lot more apartments next to everything and lots of housing going up still.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I went shopping today at Tsawwassen Mills. A few stores have closed, mainly ones we have heard about in the press shutting down.

There was a Kate Spade that wasn't there last time I went close to a year ago.

The Restaurant at the Bass Pro seems to be gone, all the signage has been taken down for it and I assume the bowling alley is gone too, never went inside as you can only enter the store from the outside entrance due to Covid.

The Polo store is fairly small compared to the McArthur Glen store but has a good selection and is much cleaner and better kept, and painted in bright white, looks nice.

Also stopped at the Walmart, the parking lot was again fairly stark, and the inside was quite dead compared to most Walmarts. The Homesense was very well stocked and very organized and clean and I assume it's because it's just not a busy location and isn't as picked over as the busier locations are. Found some good books that were on clearance that barely last a few days at say the Coquitlam or Cambie location.

Also a lot more apartments next to everything and lots of housing going up still.
The website for Bass Pro's Uncle Buck's says Temporarily Closed.. but who know.. I can imagine it wasn't doing well this year.
https://www.unclebucksfishbowlandgrill.com/locations/

Ron.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 8:43 PM

I hope the bowling alley returns. I never used but I enjoyed the asthetics of it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:

Who wants to live in a black house covered in spandrel? This is such an already dated aesthetic. At least the shape of most of the houses are alright so it can be easily fixed.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:42 PM

Visited Tsawwassen Mills over the weekend and it wasn't very busy with people. Most stores have managed to stay open and I didn't see many closed storefronts not new stores for that matter.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
Pretty nice. Any pics of the back? Wonder if its a detached garage or built in. Also, I would assume 3 story would make better use of the space and I always assumed that was the best way to go now.
Laneway houses in the back

https://livewce.com/homes/

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:19 PM

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 12:59 AM

oh nice, I saw a billboard for it in Surrey and wondered what it was about.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Tsawwassen Mills mall sold to Chinese-owned development firm
Kenneth Chan | May 16 2022, 5:31 pm

Aerial of Tsawwassen Mills. (Associated Engineering & Associated Environmental)
Just over five years after it opened, Tsawwassen Mills, one of the largest shopping malls in BC, has changed ownership.

The 1.2 million-sq-ft mall on 107 acres, containing about 200 stores and restaurants, was recently sold to Nanaimo-based Central Walk.

The value of the deal was not disclosed, but the property’s latest assessed value is pegged at $407 million. The single-level, looping mall is surrounded by dozens of acres of surface vehicle parking totalling about 5,000 stalls.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tsaw...d-central-walk

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:19 AM

Was there last Saturday and there was some show going on that was only in Chinese. Definitely felt like a departure from the previous vibe the mall has had.

Other than that, there is surprisingly little new in terms of stores from when it opened. Didn't seem overly empty and was fairly busy.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Was there last Saturday and there was some show going on that was only in Chinese. Definitely felt like a departure from the previous vibe the mall has had.

Other than that, there is surprisingly little new in terms of stores from when it opened. Didn't seem overly empty and was fairly busy.
I predict there's going to be some huge shifts in the mall. The new owners don't have the national/international portfolio needed in order to not get totally sucker-punched by the big retailers. There's a reason the going-concern
malls are typically owned by the big players. If they're getting out of certain properties, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to read the tea leaves.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
The Tsawassen Mills buyer sounds, um, interesting.

Douglas Todd: Billionaire owner of three B.C. malls bares soul on China, scandals and her ‘horrific’ upbringing
Analysis: An attempt to discover what “the wealthiest woman in Vancouver,” Weihong Liu, plans to do with the Tsawwassen shopping centre reveals much more.
Published Apr 18, 2024

Dubbed “the wealthiest woman in Vancouver,” Weihong Liu has for years not talked to the mainstream media about what she has in store for her three new B.C. shopping malls, including Tsawwassen Mills.

However, Liu’s business ideas, plus a great deal more political intrigue, are revealed in a feisty and tear-filled Chinese-language interview she gave to a YouTube channel, in a program that now includes English subtitles and transcript.

In addition to spelling out her vision to have traditional First Nations performances at Tsawwassen Mills, Liu talks graphically about growing up in China “filled with horror” about an abusive father, her fantasy of becoming the prime minister of Canada, and her fondness for her adopted country, where she says she has never been discriminated against.

In the rambling, four-part, 2.5-hour YouTube program, Liu denies rumours in the Chinese community that her Canadian businesses are a front for the Chinese Communist Party elite, that she was once a mistress of a high-level Communist official, or is the niece of notorious Adm. Huaqing Liu of the People’s Liberation Army Navy.

Instead, she strongly criticizes China and some of its functionaries, including for overseeing a stagnant economy and having a lack of “self-criticism.” She says she “runs the risk of getting arrested” in the authoritarian country she left a decade ago. “All the wealthy people who can flee have already left.”

The extraordinary program was put together last year by 56 Below TV, a small YouTube operation run by Dong Nan. In it, Liu, who often repeats she doesn’t have a spouse, begins by showing off her magnificent new gated estate, with a 10,000-sq.-ft. mansion, on the University of B.C. Endowment Lands.

While giving a tour of her luxurious indoor pools and wine rooms during the program, she displays the replica chair of “the Queen of England” that she had built, saying it is “exciting to feel the wealth and power” when she sits in it.

“I have a Rolls-Royce. I have a Lamborghini. And a Mercedes-Benz,” she adds. When people maintain she is the wealthiest woman in Vancouver, she acknowledges she “feels it.” She also doesn’t contradict when it’s said others dub her the “wealthiest Chinese billionaire in Vancouver.”

Liu readily acknowledges that in China she was a leading member of many business organizations created by the Communist Party to advance the government’s schemes at home and abroad........

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...fic-upbringing

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The Tsawassen Mills buyer sounds, um, interesting.
In a way it's nice to have billionaires be weirdo eccentrics again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley