HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:42 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
HERESY! Lakeside Center should be landmarked. I'll bet you wanted to tear Prentice and Reese hospital down too...
You know I'm all for tearing stuff down, jk! No but somethings are worth saving (Uptown Theater) and others are not (Prentice) in my eyes. Unfortunately for Prentice the replacement is not much of an improvement..... Maybe, I'm more partial to 20's and 30's architecture and not industrial/international style when it comes to architectural significant. That said, Lakeside Center is a blight on the lakefront and should be set a blaze!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:43 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
Obama Library and Lucas Museums on Meigs field to form a real Museum campus?? ...or is that idea sacreligious?
I was actually thinking of spots such a museum could go on last night.

I'm not sure of his political persuasions but I did read he was a big donor to the Obamas last election cycle. I wonder if he would have any interest in trying to piggyback his museum in line with an Obama Library down by Washington Park. His museum making taking the southern parcel at MLK/Garfield with an Obama Library taking the north parcel. Though they would have considerably different endeavors it could make for a nice tour de force. The Obama Library would also be close to the UofC and the Lucas museum would compliment the MSI nearby.

Or I wonder if he (or the city) would think about allowing him building his museum over the IC tracks along Roosevelt Road near the museum campus. I've thought for a long time that a prominent cultural building would be a great addition there.

.......And count me at one that wants to see Lakeside Center kept around if possible. I've always thought it looked awesome. If it impeded the lakefront path I would say tear it down but it doesn't so......

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:53 PM
Marina City

^^ LOL I certainly agree with you, Burnam, and Field that the Lakefront is for the people. But to me, a museum is for the people of Chicago and that area is the "Museum Campus." But yes, I would be a bit torn on how I would feel about expanding the campus, if that even becomes a consideration.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:02 PM

Maggie Daley Park. Still a foam funpark

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:05 PM

Well if history holds, the only way to enforce Burnham's public waterfront mandate is for neighbors to file injunctions against construction that would violate it. If anything, the neighbors (campus park condo towers) would probably like the tracks to be covered with a national tourist attraction.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:15 PM
Marina City

This will be the second summer without Maggie Daley park!! ...and the rest of Grant park will be closed off half the Summer-time for special events.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:23 PM
BANNED

^Patience is a virtue. My firm is doing some of the work over there and let me tell you; it will be worth the wait. It's supposed to be complete this winter, which coincides nicely with what will be one of the main draws- the skating ribbon. At twice the surface area of an NHL rink, there will be nothing like it in the world.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I was actually thinking of spots such a museum could go on last night...

Or I wonder if he (or the city) would think about allowing him building his museum over the IC tracks along Roosevelt Road near the museum campus. I've thought for a long time that a prominent cultural building would be a great addition there...
I think the lower Grant Park pedestrian trail area would be perfect as well. After the Children's Museum debacle, there is no way it is going over the IC ROW North of Roosevelt. and South of Roosevelt would be a bit desolate.

My fantasy location for the Lucas Museum would be to anchor a high-rise development at 1000 South Michigan. They could line a parking structure with gift shop, cafe, coat check, offices and reception with large elevator cabs lifting visitors to the museum level with stunning views over the park provided by the 90 foot elevation.

Above the museum would be restaurant and conference facilities. The luxury 600 foot condo tower would continue up from there.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:52 PM

NO. Screw the virtues
Now now now!!
Maggie Daley Park - NOW
River walk extension - NOW
Bloomingdale Trail / 606 - NOW
Northerly Island - NOW - with the sunken ship and NO museums
Flyover - NOW
DuSable Park - NOW

I want it all and I want it NOW!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:54 PM

Maggie Daley Park was actually issued a building permit on Monday to erect the climbing wall. $42.5 Million - sheesh. Actually it will consist of 19,000 sq ft of climbing surfaces.

Quote:
The climbing area will consist of over 19,000 sq. ft of climbing surface including 60+ rope lines, 70+ bouldering lines with lead towers topping out at 42 ft. tall. Climbing will benefit everyone from beginner to expert.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:32 PM
you know where I'll be

^ That contract covers much, much more than the climbing wall, obviously.

Can you imagine the public's rath in an election year with articles of the city spending $42 million for a climbing wall? (just kidding - this is Chicago, it has to be a road (incompetent snow removal) or parking (meter deal) controversy to elicit some big reaction....

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:36 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Those courses are ... kinda gross. And it looks like the large and small ones were flip-flopped from what they were on the original building (and the planned renovation design).

Yeah, not a fan at all of what I'm seeing here as far as first facade elements on fulton cold storage.

This is for google, right (not a suburban bank, insurance co or medical offices)?right?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:37 PM

Yeah, obviously. It covers all the climbing surfaces and the area holding it all. There will be multiple climbing surfaces and stuff.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:38 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Patience is a virtue. My firm is doing some of the work over there and let me tell you; it will be worth the wait. It's supposed to be complete this winter, which coincides nicely with what will be one of the main draws- the skating ribbon. At twice the surface area of an NHL rink, there will be nothing like it in the world.
Wow - this coming winter? First, very exciting (I can't skate to save my life - but I am excited about the ribbon.....very cool). Second, this is going to be an incredibly busy year for construction here - to complete it in under a year from now? Will be very much looking forward to overseeing progress from my perch on a daily basis....

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:41 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, obviously. It covers all the climbing surfaces and the area holding it all. There will be multiple climbing surfaces and stuff.

No, I mean the total cost of the entire park was only supposed to be $55 or 60 million, right? So, I think the $42 mil. figure is for a lot more than the climbing wall area of the park.......

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yeah, not a fan at all of what I'm seeing here as far as first facade elements on fulton cold storage.

This is for google, right (not a suburban bank, insurance co or medical offices)?right?
Are you talking about the brick being added to the side of the building? I dont know, looks ok to me It will match up with the rest of the fulton market area (lots of brick).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
No, I mean the total cost of the entire park was only supposed to be $55 or 60 million, right? So, I think the $42 mil. figure is for a lot more than the climbing wall area of the park.......
Oh, I never knew the estimated cost of the park. If so then yeah this covers way more than that. The building permit only mentioned the climbing wall.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:49 PM

Also - is it confirmed that Google is actually moving in there? I thought it was actually Motorola Mobility (which was owned by google at the time) but I heard Google sold the Motorola Mobility unit to Lenovo? So, isnt it IBM/Lenovo that is moving into the building?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:50 PM

The skating ribbon will be my favorite. I skated practically everyday after work and sometimes even during lunch at Millennium. Though I can tell the skate ribbon will be the ice road of chaos. I tend to like to go fast and weave around alot. This thing will probably look like the Kennedy during rush hour lol

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:00 PM

I just saw these trucks at the empty lot at Lake and Stetson. They could just be holding for a delivery somewhere nearby. That lot (and the road itself) could definitely use some love, considering the rocket pace at which N Mich has been developing a block away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development