HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Still, it was a good season, with wins over Tennessee and Georgia, bowl game, and much improved offense. Maybe the Franklin years were not a fluke.

To put it in context of urban issues, having a major university with strong athletics can't help but make Nashville a more rounded city. It would be just one more thing that makes Nashville an extraordinary place to live, work and play. The arrival of the Oilers and Predators to Nashville, didn't put Nashville on the map. Its music and entertainment industry did that. But it did provide additional validation to its status as a major upcoming city.
...if you're willing to consider a losing record a good season. But I do agree with the rest of your argument.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Also related to all this news is the serious effort to attract a Major League Soccer franchise to Nashville. The City has budgeted $50 million towards a stadium and the state has agreed to extensive tax breaks to help. A partnership with Vanderbilt was mentioned in articles about the soccer effort, so we may hear something one way or another by January 31, 2017 when the application is due. There are some serious players pushing the effort.
This isn't happening. If anyone thinks the people of Nashville are going to be put through the ringer for another round of corporate welfare for a sports team then they're crazy.

There had to be a referendum just to build the football stadium. There is no way the people of Nashville are going to finance tens of millions for a sports league that can't even generate a 0.5 in tv ratings. This will never succeed in a referendum.

Last edited by cecilism; Dec 31, 2016 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 4:28 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
This isn't happening. If anyone thinks the people of Nashville are going to be put through the ringer for another round of corporate welfare for a sports team then they're crazy.

There had to be a referendum just to build the football stadium. There is no way that the people of Nashville are going to finance tens of millions for a sports league that can't even generate a 0.5 in tv ratings. This will never succeed in a referendum.
Kind of odd how you just assume your own personal feelings are shared by "the people of Nashville," and also that you apparently made a SSP account just to protest an imaginary soccer stadium.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 11:14 PM

Happy New Skyscrapers Nashville!!!

May there be new innovative and fresh designs to come in 2017!!! Along with a multitude of announcements of more approved/ready to build projects!!! And, let the first of several buildings to rise over 40 and 50 stories be announced!!!

Last edited by PillowTalk4; Jan 3, 2017 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:56 PM
Nashville born and raised

The Aertson/Buckingham development in Midtown is close to completion. Per occasional poster, LA_TN's recent photo...

This massive, two block long development across from Vanderbilt was built by the Buckingham company out of Indianapolis and consists of a 13 story Aertson Apartments and a 17 story Kimpton Hotel.

Buckingham has approvals to develop a 38 (cough42cough) story building in Nashville's gulch. Hopefully that will start soon.

The tall condo to the far left is Taylor Swift's crib.

Other people live there, too.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:17 AM

Building (stories, height) - status **

-- Currently under construction --
505 CST (45, 165 m, 543 ft) - level 26, core level 29
Bridgestone (30, 140 m, 460 ft) - level 27
JW Marriott (34, 117 m, 385 ft) - level 2
222 Demonbruem (25, 93 m, 305 ft) - level 16
Skyhouse (25) - opening soon
Marriott KVB (21) - level 2

Cambria (19) - level 7
M Residence (19) - level 19
Southern Land tower, Green Hills (18) - level 18
Aertson (17) - opening soon
777 8th Ave S (14) - level 1
14th Ave Comfort Inn Suites (11) - demo
Tribute Portfolio (11*) - level 8 (*This is an 11 story addition to back)
Dream (Utopia) Hotel (10) - foundation, crane base installed
Two Franklin Park, Cool Springs (10) - opening soon

Lifeway (9) - level 9

Added: 14th Ave Comfort Inn Suites (11)
Completed: The Sobro (33, 102 m, 345 ft), Westin (27, 98 m, 321 ft), HCA (17), 1201 Demonbruem (15), Thompson (12)

**Current status may be off a floor or two, but should be very close

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:27 AM

505 CST (45, 165 m, 543 ft) - level 26, core level 29

Bridgestone (30, 140 m, 460 ft) - level 27

JW Marriott (34, 117 m, 385 ft) - level 2

222 Demonbruem (25, 93 m, 305 ft) - level 16

Skyhouse (25) - opening soon

Marriott KVB (21) - level 2

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:35 AM

Cambria (19) - level 7

M Residence (19) - level 19

Southern Land tower, Green Hills (18) - level 18

Aertson (17) - opening soon

777 8th Ave S (14) - level 1

14th Ave Comfort Inn Suites (11) - demo

Tribute Portfolio (11*) - level 8 (*This is an 11 story addition to back)

Dream (Utopia) Hotel (10) - foundation, crane base installed

Two Franklin Park, Cool Springs (10) - opening soon
**Sorry, no pic yet

Lifeway (9) - level 9

Last edited by LA_TN; Jan 8, 2017 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:11 PM

Maybe it's the angle at which the picture of the Bridgestone was taken, but it isn't providing the impact I had hoped. I still think that was a lost opportunity for the city to push for a taller building that would have Bridgestone as the key tenant but offer more class A office space for businesses looking to relocate. This should have been a 50 story building.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Maybe it's the angle at which the picture of the Bridgestone was taken, but it isn't providing the impact I had hoped. I still think that was a lost opportunity for the city to push for a taller building that would have Bridgestone as the key tenant but offer more class A office space for businesses looking to relocate. This should have been a 50 story building.
There are reports the Bridgestone people are already searching for more office space, presumably nearby, for additional demand for office from their Nashville based operations. There were some reported hints that a new office building may be required.

I guess it says something when a 460 foot tall tower does not make that big of an impact on the skyline. It is very impressive up close, however!

The decorative fins on top will extend the height significantly and it will be the tallest in the SoBro district by 43 feet (over the Pinnacle Building).

I think the 32 story office building in the Hensler/former Convention Center site will make a huge impact as it should be approximately 450 feet and up at a higher elevation (another 40 to 50' higher than B'Stone).

A doctored rendering...offices in the left center, just left of the red roof Ryman Auditorium)...

It should break ground this year. Everything seems to be in order, now (financing, land ownership, city approvals).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:24 PM

The Music City Center will be adding a food market to it's north west corner where it will interact with the street and provide an important service for the many new hotels being built in the immediate area.

From the TENNESSEAN..

Quote:
Metro is moving ahead with plans to build a new food and beverage outlet on the side of the building near Demonbreun Street and Eighth Avenue; a new registration area and concourse space fronting the building's main exhibit hall; and a new concourse and reception area for the facility's Davidson Ballroom.

All told, the upgrades will cost $19.9 million, pumping more enhancements into a facility that is already the most expensive municipal-financed civic project in Tennessee history. They also will alter the look of the north side of Music City Center while extending the facility's outer wall closer to Demonbruen Street.
The addition will break up the long wall facing Demonbruen Street (although it is an architecturally beautiful wall).

The Hotel development....

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Patience.........

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 4:00 AM
Future God

I hope we get up as many buildings as we can before Trump gets a chance to destroy the economy. You dont like what i said, thats fine. I wont argue with you here. Just wait and see. I hope I am wrong.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I hope we get up as many buildings as we can before Trump gets a chance to destroy the economy. You dont like what i said, thats fine. I wont argue with you here. Just wait and see. I hope I am wrong.
I hope that'll not be the case. There's too much going on for there to be a fear that things could suddenly grind to a halt on the development pipeline.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
I hope that'll not be the case. There's too much going on for there to be a fear that things could suddenly grind to a halt on the development pipeline.
Doesn't matter who is president or anything else. Nashville development is slowing down tremendously right now to allow these larger projects to be absorbed.

There is already an oversupply of apartments, with many more coming online. Hotel development will continue. Available office space is very low, but the few office buildings that are already in the pipeline will adequately handle all needs for years.

2017 - welcome to reality

But no doom and gloom here! There will be some big projects start this year, 5th & Broad being the most notable! A few office buildings and hopefully the Embassy/Curio hotels.

Last edited by LA_TN; Jan 9, 2017 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
My 2016 Xmas Wish List for Nashville
  1. All planned projects get the financial backing and approvals needed.
  2. Lake Palmer is purchased by someone else and an announcement of a new major development for the site.
  3. The major office/residential complex that was announced for the southern part of SoBro will resurface and get approved with height variances.
  4. MDHA will overturn it's choice of projects for the trolley barn property and select one of the better designed submissions.
  5. All the car dealers on Broadway are relocated to make way for a major retail, entertainment, residential and office development. This should include an urban Target Store.
  6. The area between Church Street and Charlotte Pike in mid-town will see announcements for a couple of 20-30 story buildings.
  7. IKEA announces it's buying up much of the property in the Trinity Lane area west of I-24/65 and will build a new store to start the transformation of the area.
  8. Transformation of the East Bank will begin including relocating the metal recycling company.
  9. TSU announces firm plans to build a new on-campus football stadium and developers begin focusing on the western portion of the Jefferson Street Corridor.
  10. An announcement that at least one 50+ story office building will be built in downtown or SoBro.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!
Looks like one of my Christmas wishes may come true. The Tennessean reported that a major development along the east bank of the Cumberland River has been announced. The development will be called River North and will include office, retail, residential and hospitality.

I'm truly hoping this is not a tease announcement or a go no where soon announcement. But at least we see there is interest in developing the east bank which should have been a long time ago. Clearly I'm not going to get caught up on the rendering they provided of the development because that I'm sure is just a vision of what could be. But, I'd love to see them develop that area as close that rendering as possible in terms of density and height. Talking about a game changer for Nashville. Imagine the east bank as a whole being completely developed in the same manner.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...bank/96355154/

Last edited by PillowTalk4; Jan 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Looks like one of my Christmas wishes may come true. The Tennessean reported that a major development along the east bank of the Cumberland River has been announced. The development will be called River North and will include office, retail, residential and hospitality.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...bank/96355154/

[/QUOTE]

Regarding this proposal, a few personal thoughts.....
  • The development will be almost a mile north of the recycling center, so it doesn't seem like it would have any immediate impact on any impetus to repurpose that site in the immediate future.
  • The knee jerk reaction is to turn the skepticism dial up to 10. Personally, I would only go for 6 as these investors have been putting together this property for the last couple of years. I think it is a buy, get approvals and flip project where the second owner brings in bulldozers and cranes. We have seen similar deals with the Lifeway (now Nashville Yards) campus downtown and the large property in Midtown at Music Row.
  • This looks to be a 20 year +/- build out and will not resemble the renderings very closely. There is a lot of eye candy (ped bridges, movie studios, etc.) that don't seem to encourage a significant return on investment.
  • The most positive takeaway, is outside investors bullish take on Nashville and it's prospects for continued growth.
  • Your list; Damn!! I was willing to settle for the twin 40 story NCI project at the Shelby Street Bridge.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:56 PM

A little more visual information regarding the RiverNorth project reported in previous posts.......

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jul 30, 2019 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:54 PM
Future God

Holy shit...I need to process this before I can say anything, I think!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:01 PM

Deleted

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations