HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Surrey Central's new Upper University District
i guess at least they didn't name it UnDi

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 6:20 AM

^^^ lol

i just stumbled across this rendering for The Regency in Cqoutilam - the coq centre area

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 8:19 AM

^ Oh man is that ever ugly. Bottom. Of. The. Barrel.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 9:30 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
i guess at least they didn't name it UnDi
LOL well "Surrey Central's new Upper University District" sounds even more retarded

jesus who is naming parts of the city these days.....christ. sad state of affairs

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 10:27 AM

^ It will always be Whalley in my mind.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 1:12 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

^ I prefer the term Cracktown.....but ya Whalley it is

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:55 PM

^It's really not that bad anymore. It's no worse than say downtown New West or parts of East Van (excluding DE). Apparantly alot of the cracktowness has moved along to the Newton area. I agree though that it's hard to shake first impressions. I was first exposed to it 4 or 5 years ago and back then it was full fledged cracktown for sure.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 5:56 PM

I'm not sure what Burnaby is concerned about (other than traffic) - the Crane Canada site backs onto the area where there will be huge transit-oriented development - at Braid Skytrain Station. In this Global Air Photo, the crane site is just above the big warehouse at Braid Skytrain Station. The area could be easily linked by a road, driveway or walking paths. As for high density next to parks, Burnaby's own Edmonds area is an example of that.

Just found these pics at the Civitas Design wesbite for the Crane Canada site.
They know that the site is close to Braid Skytrain Station -
the first pic shows the catchment areas for Lougheed Station and Braid Station - the TCH divides the two catchment areas.

Last edited by officedweller; Oct 4, 2007 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 8:24 PM

^ Wow, nice find. I agree 100% that Burnaby is making a big deal out of nothing.

_________

I took a crapload of construction pics today. I'll post the builidngs that have already topped out and therefore don't deserve their own threads here, as well as misc. stuff.

New Westminster:

Quantum

The Point

I got a pic of what is going up at the former London Drugs site, it's not very exciting and a waste of space imo.

Burnaby

Central Park office tower

A quick drive by of Highgate Village .

West topped out.

Park360
I really don't like the combination of spandrels and painted concrete, pick one or the other.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 8:54 PM

Also, does anybody know what is going on with Metrotown's facade?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 1:15 AM
Registered

is whats shown along North road on the north/south side of Lougheed in the works ?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Park360
I really don't like the combination of spandrels and painted concrete, pick one or the other.

i actually think it looks nice, esp the last pic, dunno if it's the combination

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Best of the bunch, by far. I like the light brick

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:14 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
^^^ lol

i just stumbled across this rendering for The Regency in Cqoutilam - the coq centre area

This one is so Shanghai. Especially with the centered circle.

Thanks for all the pictures, Vanman.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 5:16 AM

Lake City Centre - 100k sqft office building at the Production Way-SFU SkyTrain station

(My photo, taken October 4th, 2007)

I snapped this picture today of the building's progress. The steel is coming along. Nothing spectacular but it's a cool 100,000 square feet of Class A office space practically on top of a SkyTrain station.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 4, 2008 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 5:59 AM

ASSC 2 at SFU - Green Wall installation - October 3rd

(My photo, taken October 4th, 2007)

An interesting panelized green wall system is being used for one of the walls of the new ASSC (Arts and Social Science Complex) 2 building. I wonder if this system will be used for the W43 Woodwards building? ASSC 1 & 2 were designed by architect Peter Busby of Busby, Perkins and Will. It was built to LEED GOLD status and I believe the school is pursing actual LEED accreditation. If you want to see more of the building check out my SFU new building photo thread.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 4, 2008 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Also, does anybody know what is going on with Metrotown's facade?

they're replacing the stucco.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:18 AM

^ Leaky Mall Syndrome?

A pox on CMHC!

One of the most satisfying moments for me in recent memory was when I asked someone from CMHC (Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation) about their new "Super E / R2000 Home" spec during a presentation at the World Urban Forum in Vancouver in 2006. In a room full of housing policy experts and contractors I asked the CMHC presenter: how long were these new building specs tested for in the wet West Coast climate -bearing in mind the abhorrent CMHC failure to ensure that its previous national building code would function correctly in our climate, an oversight that caused the leaky condo scandal and cost homeowners billions of dollars to repair water and mold damage damage to their built-to-code homes and apartments.

The guy sort of mumbled that CMHC had learned a lot from their experience and it was unfortunate. To answer my question, the individual components of the new Super E homes have been testing a variety of climates and been have found to be a marked improvement over past iterations of the R2000 home spec.

For the uninitiated, in the mid 1970s CMHC (Canada's national housing policy agency) needed to respond to the global energy crisis initiated by the OPEC cartel and set about developing a new national building code for residential construction that would significantly increase mandatory insulation levels and lower home heating costs. They went about this by making homes virtually airtight and doubling or tripling the minimum insulation factor ("R" value) of a dwelling's exterior walls. Such a home was ideal for the climate in Central and Eastern Canada and the Prairies, all places that experience very cold snowy winters and require heating in winter. CMHC did not consider the temperate West Coast climate with its wet winters, general lack of snow, and very moist air. This was a grievous oversight.

In the lower mainland the combination of a temperate climate's mild, wet winters and a national residential building code that emphasized an air-tight building envelope led to endemic moisture problems in dwellings built to the new code. Moisture became trapped in walls and window frames, resulting in mold. Many wood frame buildings structurally deteriorated over time as chronic water damage weakened walls, floors, and balconies. The indoor growth of mold, especially types of poisonous black mold, made people sick when they inhaled airborne mold spores. Prolonged exposure led to inexplicable illness and powerful, debilitating seasonal allergic reactions among otherwise healthy individuals, and a general deterioration of the health of some seniors or otherwise infirm people.

It took quite some time to identify the existence and severity of the mold problem because in most cases it was within the walls and not readily visible. In many cases structural damage or major mold outbreaks was remedied by rebuilding the affected area to the original condition when it was built while not addressing the underlying design problems that created the problem. In some cases major repairs happened again and again, each time resulting in repairs that would doom the building to further problems. It was a vicious cycle and CMHC squarely denied any culpability, nor would it underwright any repair costs incurred to bring any affected leaky dwellings up to the revised national building codes. It finally took a multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit to compel CMHC to acknowledge that its building code was at fault and that the water damage and mold experienced by tens and tens of thousands of dwellings, many repaired again and again to the proper building code, could not solely be the result of faulty workmanship or poor architectural design. Some definitely was, but the code was just plain wrong for our climate.

The approximate span of years that the faulty building code was employed is 1977 - 1997. For thirty years CMHC was ignorant or willfully ignorant of its error and it financially ruined thousands and has made more than a quarter century of building stock highly suspect, not to mention how many people got sick or even died from being exposed to poisonous black mold.

In my Mother's housing co-op the repairs cost about $1.6 million and our townhouse alone had about $150,000 of repairs, including a full building envelope replacement, new roofs, and new windows. Fortunately the Co-Op had a healthy replacement reserve and an excellent credit rating and was able to get a good mortgage to fund the repair costs which could then be amortized over a reasonably short repayment period. This meant that individual co-op members weren't hit with an immediate upfront assessment for $50,000, $100,000, or more like in most condos. We were smart too and initiated repairs as soon as the first signs of mold were found. By opting for the most expensive option of a building envelope replacement, essentially taking the building down to its wood frame structure and building a new, climate-correct wall and building envelope system, the co-op exited the cycle of only doing the minimum necessary repairs and later having the same problem reoccur. We essentially rebuilt the co-op while we still lived there to better-than-code levels to fix the problem once and for all. If it was done on an ad hoc basis or only to the level that the co-op members could afford in the short run, we could have found ourselves back at square one in a decade's time.

So, with all of that in mind, a new CHMC update of the deeply flawed R2000 residential building code, rebranded as the "Super E Home" standard naturally makes me suspicious. They upped the insulation levels again, which is perfectly fine, and aimed to make the building completely airtight this time. To avoid the "unpleasantness" of the west coast expirences the homes are now designed around a computer-controlled humidifier/dehumidifier ventilation unit that will bring in fresh air from the outdoors, filter it, adjust the humidity levels, and then distribute it throughout the house through air ducts and pull exhaust air out to discharge it outdoors. It promises to further reduce home heating costs, deliver fresh filtered air evenly throughout the house, and lower the home's energy needs by specifying larger windows to supply natural light. All of which is great, but if it hasn't been extensively tested as a complete design, and not just component parts, in the wet west coast climate then I will be extremely wary of the Super E Home building spec.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Oct 8, 2007 at 8:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
This one is so Shanghai. Especially with the centered circle.
I had the same first thoughts, what with being in Shanghai at the moment. And, among all the sites I use, it's SSP that loads torturously slow for me here. It took me a good 20 minutes to send this message!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
they're replacing the stucco.
Ridiculous, that part of the mall is max ten years old. I noticed a while back that the exterior of the mall was looking kind of algaefied and sure enough. On the positive side I'm sure Ivanhoe Cambridge has more than enough money to deal with the situation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley