HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Not provincial, but still interesting regarding the province and Winnipeg.

This tweet/map shows the latest seat projections for the federal elections:

https://twitter.com/CanadaMaps/statu...355330/photo/1

Hopefully the conservatives are kept mostly out of Winnipeg. It's a little embarrassing when even the City goes blue. I don't want us to end up like our neighbours to the West.
Why is that embarrassing exactly? It’s looking more and more like Trudeau made a huge miscalculation by calling the election. Not only is it increasingly unlikely he’ll get his majority but the liberals will likely be losing seats.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 12:24 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Not provincial, but still interesting regarding the province and Winnipeg.

This tweet/map shows the latest seat projections for the federal elections:

https://twitter.com/CanadaMaps/statu...355330/photo/1

Hopefully the conservatives are kept mostly out of Winnipeg. It's a little embarrassing when even the City goes blue. I don't want us to end up like our neighbours to the West.
O'Toole The Tool needs Ont. abnd Que. to get even a minority. Not going to happen according to this map.

Last edited by LilZebra; Sep 1, 2021 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Why is that embarrassing exactly? It’s looking more and more like Trudeau made a huge miscalculation by calling the election. Not only is it increasingly unlikely he’ll get his majority but the liberals will likely be losing seats.
"Embarrassing" may be a bit crass, but if you look at the attractive cities across the country they're pretty progressive strongholds. Obviously its only one factor, but from a public image standpoint it's pretty hard to be an attractive city to the young and educated when our image is as a conservative city more generally. I never want Winnipeg to be lumped in with Sask and Ab.

I agree though, its looking like the Libs will lose seats and not get a majority.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:09 PM

I 'd be shocked if the conservatives will gain 18 seats per that map.. Another one I saw had 24.

Maybe this will be a turning point for all parties. Likely not, but maybe.

Libs need to get Trudeau out and someone else (Freeland) in as leader.
Cons need to blow it up and rebuild. Will be tough with the current leaders over there since their base loves it.
NDP has the most to gain this election. Jagmeet is big on the Tik Tok with the younger crowd. We'll see if it turns into votes.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
"Embarrassing" may be a bit crass, but if you look at the attractive cities across the country they're pretty progressive strongholds. Obviously its only one factor, but from a public image standpoint it's pretty hard to be an attractive city to the young and educated when our image is as a conservative city more generally. I never want Winnipeg to be lumped in with Sask and Ab.

I agree though, its looking like the Libs will lose seats and not get a majority.
I don't want Regina to be lumped in with Sask either

But sadly, we are going to likely be all blue again.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:03 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I 'd be shocked if the conservatives will gain 18 seats per that map.. Another one I saw had 24.

Maybe this will be a turning point for all parties. Likely not, but maybe.

Libs need to get Trudeau out and someone else (Freeland) in as leader.
Cons need to blow it up and rebuild. Will be tough with the current leaders over there since their base loves it.
NDP has the most to gain this election. Jagmeet is big on the Tik Tok with the younger crowd. We'll see if it turns into votes.
OMG. Thank you. Freeland is clearly the brains behind that whole operation while Trudeau just runs around being a wishy-washy playboy. She should be leading that party. I have a tremendous amount of respect for her after the way she handled Trump and his caucus obviously during a period of strained relations. She did a superior job.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
OMG. Thank you. Freeland is clearly the brains behind that whole operation while Trudeau just runs around being a wishy-washy playboy. She should be leading that party. I have a tremendous amount of respect for her after the way she handled Trump and his caucus obviously during a period of strained relations. She did a superior job.
Trudeau is there to steal votes from the NDP, that is all. Without him, many more young people and women would vote for the NDP. Freeland could take some of the moderates from the Conservatives, however.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 7:18 PM

Not Provincial politics, per se, but Danny Vandal has been named Minister of Northern Affairs/ Minister Responsible for Prairie Economic Development/ Minister Responsible for the Canadian Economic Development Agency. Quite a mouthful! Sounds like Vandal with be in charge of a variety of economic development budgets. Good news for Manitoba/ Winnipeg?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:18 PM

Byelection for Pallister's vacated Fort Whyte seat:

Obby Khan - Torys
Willard Reaves - Liberals
Trudy Schroeder - NDP

Elections Manitoba should skip the voting and instead determine the victor by arm wrestling contest.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:22 PM

I've seen a lot of online chortling about Obby Khan deciding that he likes what he sees with the PCs and deciding to jump in.

But it's clear that he's an ambitious guy and he's likely playing a long game here. I think he's entering this race as phase one of becoming the party leader and ultimately, premier.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I've seen a lot of online chortling about Obby Khan deciding that he likes what he sees with the PCs and deciding to jump in.

But it's clear that he's an ambitious guy and he's likely playing a long game here. I think he's entering this race as phase one of becoming the party leader and ultimately, premier.
...and once on the national stage, Prime Minister.

Hey, there's been a lot worse federal Tory leaders over the years. Like, all of them.

Seriously though, he's made a splash with the announcement, now let's hear what kinds of policies he supports. With his personality and profile he'll get plenty of opportunities to make his positions known.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:27 PM

It'll be a popularity contest. Newer Bomber will win over older Bomber.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It'll be a popularity contest. Newer Bomber will win over older Bomber.
Based on reputation I would have to say that Obby Khan is far more qualified and suited for the job than Reaves is. It isn't even close.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:52 PM

I don't really know much about either of them. Obby seems like a good community guy. Maybe he can be the one to turn around the PC's.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 7:55 PM

great stuff, go Obby go, great addition to the part that is bring them to be more center-right. we know the Liberals are dead in the water provincially.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Byelection for Pallister's vacated Fort Whyte seat:

Obby Khan - Torys
Willard Reaves - Liberals
Trudy Schroeder - NDP

Elections Manitoba should skip the voting and instead determine the victor by arm wrestling contest.
Pretty sure Khan is at this point just running for the PC nomination. He’s not their official candidate.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:27 PM

Ya that's right. Willard Reaves already giving him the gears haha

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Pretty sure Khan is at this point just running for the PC nomination. He’s not their official candidate.
Has anyone else declared their candidacy for the nomination yet? Obby has the trappings of a 'star candidate'... quite often in those cases the party does its best to dissuade nomination challengers.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 8:15 PM

I can't remember...was it Reaves or James Murphy that ran the Fish Market at the Forks years ago?

If I was voting, Reaves all the way. He was the better Bomber by far, best running back of the 80s and a Hall Of Famer. We' re voting based on athletic accomplishments, right?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 8:27 PM

^ It was James Murphy who ran Dockside 21 at The Forks.

Incidentally, Chris Walby ran for the Liberals back in the 1995 election. I remember being a kid and being blown away by the fact that he lost to Bonnie Mitchelson. I figured absolutely everyone in River East was going to vote for someone as awesome as Walby

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan