HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 10:31 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

North Shore Updates

seeing as how every thread that as started pertaining to North Vancouver has turned into an agreement on the yet unscheduled redevelopment of the Safeway on Lonsdale Avenue and 13 Street or has become a debate on the SeaBus being faster route to downtown Vancouver vs The 240/241, i figured i would start this thread.

North Shore residents, please, state your issues. we can hopefully have a healthy conversation about them.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 4:05 PM
Site 8 Lives

Transportation is, and always will be, a huge issue on the North Shore. Bus service up and down Lonsdale is absolutely brutal.

The Lonsdale corridor, which has long embraced density, is being punished for the sprawl that is prevalent in other parts of the North Shore.

There is also the long-simmering question of amalgamation between the City and District of North Vancouver. Most folks have no idea that there are indeed 2 North Vancouvers, but that is the case. And it's one of the reasons why nothing ever seems to get done in the North Shore.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 7:06 PM

The seabus is slower but more pleasant and never late. When I was commuting to UBC from North Van, I'd only take it if I could get a ride to the terminal (my parents work near there) on the way there or if I could see that Georgia street was a mess on the way back (I'd look out the window, the stop is on the north side of Georgia for both the 44 and 98).

I went over to the North Shore over the holidays, and took a look at a few construction sites. The old Dave Buck site looks to be well under way. Hopefully it gets torn down in 10 years. The two towers on 13th are nearly topped out. The library is ok, nothing special. I checked that out when it opened a few months ago.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 11:59 PM
See ya down under, mates

I'd just like to thank the stupid furniture store on 3rd and Lonsdale for finally taking down their huge "going out of business" signs, which were there for at least three years. Like the area needs any more help looking economically depressed.

And when do we get our seawall? I moved to LL because I thought we were getting a seawall and it's not here yet, goshdarnit.

On the subject of grocery stores, is the new Save On Foods on Marine still in development? Can't see anything but piles of dirt.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 12:07 AM

I heard that a short section of the seawall from Waterfront park to the marina was being built. It's maybe only a couple hundred metres long, though. It would be a great shortcut to the Cap Mall area if they could get it all the way to Bewicke. Currently, the TransCanada Trail follows 3rd street, a truck route that has narrow sidewalks with utility poles, between Waterfront park and Marine drive/Mosquito Park.

I don't know if the Save on (old Dave Buck site) is still being built. I just know it's not a parking lot anymore.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 12:15 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

i can tell i haven't been in North Vancouver very long, but is the Dave Buck site next to Capilano Mall?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 12:19 AM

Yeah that's it. Southeast corner of Hanes and Marine

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 4:59 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
I heard that a short section of the seawall from Waterfront park to the marina was being built. It's maybe only a couple hundred metres long, though. It would be a great shortcut to the Cap Mall area if they could get it all the way to Bewicke.
I'm more interested in the potential seawall between St Andrews-ish and the quay. If the condos are back on track then that should be too. I'd love to walk to the seabus that way.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 7:15 AM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I'd just like to thank the stupid furniture store on 3rd and Lonsdale for finally taking down their huge "going out of business" signs, which were there for at least three years. Like the area needs any more help looking economically depressed.

And when do we get our seawall? I moved to LL because I thought we were getting a seawall and it's not here yet, goshdarnit.
There's been talk of a North Vancouver seawall for DECADES. Don't hold your breath waiting for it. The North Shore waterfront is very different from False Creek. There are many stakeholders: several First Nations groups, private land owners, lots of active industry and port lands, and of course, there are the usual North Shore Nimbies.

As for the furniture store: Did you find out if it was actually "going out of business?"

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:37 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The Save-On is still a go, they are busy dealing with another site that's been causing them some issues, so I imagine it'll be delayed but it will still move ahead. Update should be pending in the spring.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:48 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
As for the furniture store: Did you find out if it was actually "going out of business?"
I asked an employee in September of 2005 when they were going out of business and she said three months.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:55 AM

The north shore is the one area of Metro-Vancouver that i think is perfect for LRT. It already has the seabus (which would become the main transit hub) and any mass transit system would have limited room for expansion because of the geography, hence skytrain in that area would be a waste of money and better used for UBC and other areas.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 5:56 AM
Site 8 Lives

^What are you proposing... LRT between Lonsdale Quay and Ambleside? That seems to be the corridor with the most concentrated population -- other than the length of Lonsdale itself (which, due to the gradient, might not be able to sustain rail-based transit -- at least from what I've been told).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 6:14 AM

It did. But a few streetcars ended up in the inlet (iirc).

If hell freezes over or north van joins the growth concentration area, maybe they'll build a tunnel under the inlet, with a deep station under Lower Lonsdale, then bored up to Central Lonsdale. Or maybe a tunnel to the Cap Mall area, then cut and cover up Keith (like on Cambie). One of those old freeway proposals took that route under the inlet, probably because it's shorter and because they'd get to build an island in coal harbour.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 9:32 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

IMO an LRT route would be perfect to have stretch from Ambleside to Deep Cove along Marine Drive > 3rd Street > Main Street > Dollarton Highway > Riverside Drive > Seymour Parkway > Dollarton Highway to Dollar Road. bus service can pick up passengers from there to take to Deep Cove

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 7:13 PM
Site 8 Lives

^There actually is a heritage streetcar proposal that is - last time I checked - still in play for the North Vancouver waterfront. It was supposed to go from Lonsdale to the Norgate area -- or Lonsdale to Park&Tilford.

I could see that being the start of something more significant -- IF it ever got off the ground. Then again, it was more of a tourist deal than a commuter project.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 5:30 AM

North Vancouver waterfront project is back in business

by: Derek Moscato January 11, 2009 8:44 PM comments: (0)

Some positive news for those following the progress of the waterfront revitalization project at the foot of Lonsdale Avenue in North Vancouver.

The $100 million mixed-use development is back in business after coming to a troubling halt this past fall -- in the wake of the Wall Street meltdown and ensuing economic uncertainty.

I was surprised to hear construction noise coming from the site when I was in the vicinity this past Friday morning. Apparently, construction resumed on the waterfront as early as Wednesday.

The project, which will include a hotel, conference centre and high-end condominiums, is slated for completion before the 2010 Winter Olympics -- although the timeline is ambitious, given delays on the project to date. Two heritage structures on the waterfront land will also be refurbished.

This is all part of the ongoing effort to revitalize not only the North Vancouver waterfront, but also the Lower Lonsdale neighbourhood.

New life is also being breathed into the hopeful centerpiece of the waterfront project, the National Maritime Centre. According to media reports citing City of North Vancouver mayor Darrell Mussatto, the federal government is giving the site consideration for funding as part of its infrastructure-geared national stimulus spending package.

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/blog/post/165208

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:44 PM
Perpetual I.A.

I'd like to see the Lonsdale corridor be developed as the hub of business and multi-family as proposed at last years open house hosted by the City at the Harry Jerome rec centre. I overheard a great deal of support for this. However the Pam Bookhams and Ivan Leonards of our community don't seem to want to share our city with people who want to move here. Single family space wasters, or nothing at all, for thoise two. And God forbid a homeowner put a basement suite in a duplex!

My second wish is for Pam Bookham to move back to Ontario and for Ivan Leonard to go back to the UK, or wherever he's from.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 9:38 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The Save-On is still a go, they are busy dealing with another site that's been causing them some issues, so I imagine it'll be delayed but it will still move ahead. Update should be pending in the spring.
The Save-On, Shoppers and BCL on that site have always been scheduled for completion in 2010. Although a Spring date has probably been pushed back to Summer or Fall now.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 1:32 AM

I like the area but have some suggestions :
- real bike paths that do no cut off.
- neighborhoods with no sidewalks or street lights. I simply don't understand those blocks. I did spend 3 years when I was a child in India in a small village, perhaps they are going for that look.

Excited about :
- North Shore spirit trail : http://www.cnv.org/?c=3&i=455. The trail and the pedestrian bridges it may bring.
- potential linking of green belt around city
- Any potential updates on the street car. I recently picked up the 'Ambitious City' by Warren Sommer which is the history of North Van. We used have an amazing little network of street cars here. Even a small route would be a fantastic tourist draw
- potential of The Pier public area. If it pans out could be terrific.
- long term future potential of that bizarre field area west of the seabus around where the car dealers are. What a waste of a magnificent area
- New seabus

Would love :
- good large bookstore in Lower Lonsdale
- more town house walk up areas. If East of Lonsdale gets rezoned it would be prime for this.

Already enjoy :
- the small town big town feel it has
- mountains
- complete lonsdale strip
- scattered parks
- the up hill grade
- somewhat access to water, which will only improve
- the Quay market
- seabus access to downtown

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley