Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 3:48 AM

UW Engineering V | ? m | 6 fl | Approved

University of Waterloo- Faculty of Engineering
Engineering V- $48 Million
6 Floors
Approved by UW

Start Date: March 2008

Will be connected to current engineering buildings by an overhead walkway from the the third floor of E5 to somewhere on E3 (likely E3X)

First phase of a $150 million expansion by the Faculty of Engineering

Floors 1-2
- Student Design Center (STC?) -> state of the art workshops for students and students teams containing work bays, work benches meeting rooms and a new student machine shop, which will be twice as large as the current one
- Will result in a quadrupling of the the amount of shop space given to student teams
- Designed in open concept formate to encourage co-operation between teams

Floors 3-6
- Office and teaching space
- Two floors towards Electrical and Computer Engineering Department (ECE)
- One floor each to Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering and Systems Designs Engineering (therefore making their original building proposal obsolete)
Located on East Campus (ie. behind the current University Plaza shops), where Parking Lot B currently is.

* I have more renderings but I don't have the time right now to upload them all. I will sometime next week once exams end.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 3:53 AM

Just so this makes a bit more sense, but WEEF is the Waterloo Engineering Endowment Fund. It's a student run endowment fund started by two engineering students in the early 90s, with the mandate to increase the overall quality of education in the Faculty of Engineering. It's supported by a $75 refundable donation made by all engineering students when they pay their student fees, and by graduates who take "The Plummers Pledge" to donate X amount of money each month after they graduate.

WEEF Director Report

By Alex James
WEEF Director

As some of you may already know, the university will be breaking ground on the new buildings this coming March. The first two floors of one of these six-floor buildings will become the new Student Design Center (STC). The STC will be a state of the art workshop for students and student teams. It will contain work bays, work benches, meeting rooms, and best of all, a new student machine shop! The size of this project is immense, quadrupling the current space given to student teams. This will allow for the current teams to receive the space they need, as well as allow brand new teams to be given space and resources. The STC will also contain a fully stocked student machine shop twice as large as the current one. It is being designed as an open concept, to promote cooperation between student groups.

This great idea is happening soon, and WEEF would like to be a part of it. WEEF is here not only to increase the quality of education here at the university, but also to give students the opportunity to work on the most cutting edge and exciting projects possible. In that spirit, the WEEF board of directors has come up with a proposal that will allow WEEF to make a very large contribution to the STC. How large? The total budget for the STC is estimated to be 12 million dollars. The proposed plan will allow WEEF to generate 4 million dollars to the project. The proposal calls for a 1 million dollar donation on the part of WEEF, but the Faculty of Engineering has pledged to match any donation made by WEEF, and the university has agreed to match that figure.

The board of directors believes that this kind of donation is just the kind of thing WEEF was created to do. Other large proposals have been considered in the past years, but none have stood out as much as this one. Add to that the fact that the money donated by WEEF is quadrupled, and you have a very solid large-scale donation. Some of you may be thinking that this large donation will affect the amount of money that WEEF gives out every term. If donated, the money will be removed from the WEEF account over a seven year period. This will allow the amount of money WEEF gives out annually to remain the same, or even rise during this time, depending on the participation rates. The important part is that WEEF will not be giving out any less money if the application is accepted.

The proposal will be presented to the funding council during the month of November, and I encourage anyone who is interested to come and ask questions. You can also send an email to weef@engmail.uwaterloo.ca. This is a great opportunity for WEEF to make a difference, and I for one am very excited about it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 4:13 AM
Cambridgite

Wow....March...didn't think it was starting that early.

Thanks for the updates, Jeicow. You've been really helpful with all the on-campus projects.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
Wow....March...didn't think it was starting that early.
It seems like a jump start to me too. I found out that this thing actually got approved back in October, so oops for not actually noticing that . To be honest though, I think the quick start will result in delays. From what I've heard, there really hasn't been much consultation with any of the students on the teams as to their needs, nor has there been any consultation with the general engineering student population about their concerns. I signed a petition about a month ago asking that the faculty sit down with students before this thing gets going because the general feel is that this thing should have some sort of LEED certification and have as little environmental impact as possible. The one problem (not sure how may of you know this) but with the co-op program, engineering students are only in class every other term so one of the big concerns is that the momentum students are making this term will be lost once next term's students come back on campus. With the current engineering dean in place, I would expect to hear some word about some sort of consultation occurring in early January since he's a good guy and seems to actually want to listen.

Quote:
Thanks for the updates, Jeicow. You've been really helpful with all the on-campus projects.
heh, I'm stuck living on campus until the end of April so I might as well be good for something. I wish I had the USB cable for my camera so I could post some update pics but until I find it, nothing from me But I gotta admit, I'm liking my time so far in K-W. I haven't really been in Kitchener much, but from what I've seen in Waterloo so far, I'll enjoy the next 5 years I'm here

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 9:01 AM
BANNED

-

Last edited by WaterlooInvestor; Jan 5, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 9:01 PM

Freakin' nice Engineering Building! Thanks for posting jeicow!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 11:50 PM

Some more pictures of E5. The ghost building is the final phase (Engineering 7) of the Engineering expansion, which will be connected on the top 5 floors directly back to E5. No official word as to whether or not it will be an exact twin like the renderings expect, but all signs point to yes.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooInvestor View Post
By any chance have you seen a chart like that online?
I think that this is the one you're likely talking about.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 7:01 AM
BANNED

-

Last edited by WaterlooInvestor; Jan 5, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 4:04 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow View Post
I think that this is the one you're likely talking about.

With an aging population and the echo generation passing through, I'm wondering what the need is for UW to continue expanding.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 11:07 PM

if you are interested there are more pictures on the architects website

http://www.stipartners.com/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 6:28 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
With an aging population and the echo generation passing through, I'm wondering what the need is for UW to continue expanding.
Immigrants are fueling the country, so their children perhaps? Not to mention that the Canadian fertility rate decline has leveled off and even risen moderately in some parts of the country.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooian4Life View Post
if you are interested there are more pictures on the architects website

http://www.stipartners.com/
Very nice renderings.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Biggest one would be international students. There's a huge focus on trying to get more and more every year since international students provide more stable funding then Ontario students. I think they make up something like 10% of the total undergrad population, but the aim is for 20% over the next decade, while the aim for postgrad is 30%. The potential opening of the Dubai campus would likely help out a lot with this goal.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 11:06 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ Is there serious thought to this? Who else is out there right now with a sat. campus? Harvard Gov. & Medical have a mash-up sat. campus there...
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 10:37 PM

the Dubai Campus has already opened on a small scale, but I believe the plan is to build a new campus there in the not so distant future

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:32 PM
Urban Advocate

So is the ENg 5 building supposed to be past the drainage ditch on the otherside of the tracks, or is it going to be over top of it? My hopes are for over top as it makes the distance and relation to the street a little bit closer. Otherwise it'll be way out there comparatively speaking.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:06 AM

I screwed up my other post. The planned campus at the moment would be in Abu Dhabi with the possibility of expansion into a Dubai site. The thing itself hasn't opened yet, and I doubt it will until at least 2010. UW is interested in getting this thing going but the process to get it approved by the UAE is likely going to take a while. Some curriculum changes will need to take place to make it happen to meet UAE rules (ie. X hours of religous teaching). From the sounds of it, it will be a small number of engineering programs (my guess would be civil, mechanical and either chemical or electrical), some sort of IT program, and Financial Management.

The plan is for students to attend the first two years over there (including co-op terms) and then coming to the Canadian Campus for the remaining two years. The first few classes are expected to be made up of ~200 students. The university itself will be suppling the profs (all on 4-12 month short term leaves) and curriculum (same standards as the CEAB), while the facilities and equipment would be supplied by a private education company (CERT I believe), which has links to many people in power.

Queens opened a satellite business campus there. How it operates is unclear to me. NYU is also suppose to be seriously looking to get a UAE campus too- I believe with the same company that UW is using.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 6:07 AM
Cambridgite

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 12:23 PM
Urban Advocate

And there you go... thx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario