HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 1:11 PM

Nice pics.

Might the development of Streeterville eventually lead Lake Point Tower to renovate its base and at least add retail along those east/west streets? It should have restaurants with big, wide sidewalk cafes (by removing a lane from the streets).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Nice pics.

Might the development of Streeterville eventually lead Lake Point Tower to renovate its base and at least add retail along those east/west streets? It should have restaurants with big, wide sidewalk cafes (by removing a lane from the streets).
They're not going to punch into their parking garage for retail. The two retail spaces along Illinois have been vacant for the past 1 1/2 years though.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Nice pics.

From my minimal experience with the condo boards of other older buildings, I'd be fairly confident that the condo board will do almost anything to avoid interaction with the riffraff on their way to/from Navy Pier. The idea that those people might enter their building probably fills them with terror. And I imagine any renovation would require condo board approval.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 2:47 PM

Sweet helicopter shots.^^^ I really hope northwestern develops that land at fairbanks/erie/huron into a really nice park like maggie daley park, if not sell it to a developer that could build a supertall there. That plot is huge. But I'm sure they will probally just build a couple regular looking medical 40 floorers instead. I guess I should have started this by asking does northwerstern even own that land, and if not who does?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 2:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Mac View Post
From my minimal experience with the condo boards of other older buildings, I'd be fairly confident that the condo board will do almost anything to avoid interaction with the riffraff on their way to/from Navy Pier. The idea that those people might enter their building probably fills them with terror. And I imagine any renovation would require condo board approval.
This is what I don't get. "Street rifraff" don't enter the building, they enter a separately administered retail space

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Sweet helicopter shots.^^^ I really hope northwestern develops that land at fairbanks/erie/huron into a really nice park like maggie daley park, if not sell it to a developer that could build a supertall there. That plot is huge. But I'm sure they will probally just build a couple regular looking medical 40 floorers instead. I guess I should have started this by asking does northwerstern even own that land, and if not who does?
Lol, doubt it will even be 20 floors. Look forward to one, maybe two large, squat, "towers" that will have high floor to floor heights, but still only rise 250'. Also expect to wait another couple of decades.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:42 PM

Bad link

Last edited by Rooster slayer; Jul 5, 2017 at 5:47 PM. Reason: Bad link

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This is what I don't get. "Street rifraff" don't enter the building, they enter a separately administered retail space
I bet it's neither reason. After all, the residents have been willing to open up their building to the public every year.

Probably more like....Things are fine the way they are. Why change? Besides, lofts at river east are more attractive commercial space. You got a bunch of businessss clustered with adequate drop off and parking. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the blank walls of lake point do us a huge favor to not be contributing to the traffic / pedestrian mess around Navy Pier

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 8:49 PM
Urbane observer

^There's been a restaurant on the top floor since the beginning. And there was a little grocery there until recently.

I suspect the bigger problem with LPT's parking podium is that the floor-to-floor heights are only 8 or 9 feet—much too low for retail—and may not line up with sidewalk level in any way.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^There's been a restaurant on the top floor since the beginning.
Revolving, IIRC. But not anymore I believe.

Makes me try to remember if there was one in the Days Inn building too. How many of those existed (and currently exist, if any) in Chicago?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Revolving, IIRC. But not anymore I believe.

Makes me try to remember if there was one in the Days Inn building too. How many of those existed (and currently exist, if any) in Chicago?
The restaurant at LPT never revolved and the ones atop the Days Inn (W-Lakeshore) doesn't revolve any longer.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The restaurant at LPT never revolved and the ones atop the Days Inn (W-Lakeshore) doesn't revolve any longer.
The old Holiday Inn on LSD. That place was the shit back in the 70's.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 10:32 PM

That was a semi-rhetorical question. The real issue is that LPT was designed as a typical 1960s tower in a park. The tower itself is nice, but it's horrible urban design otherwise.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Are you way older than I thought you were? Revolving restaurants were pretty big back then, are you suggesting there was like only the Holiday Inn ? Keep in mind the top floor of LPT has 360 degree views, and it drastically departs from the 3-lobe design to adopt the shape of a circle, so are you sure? In comparison the W Lakeshore has barely 180 degrees of rotational exposure (direct N and S are largely blocked), and it was completed just as LPT was being planned, so you'd think LPT would be using that circle to seize on the trend in a far superior way.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Are you way older than I thought you were? Revolving restaurants were pretty big back then, are you suggesting there was like only the Holiday Inn ? Keep in mind the top floor of LPT has 360 degree views, and it drastically departs from the 3-lobe design to adopt the shape of a circle, so are you sure? In comparison the W Lakeshore has barely 180 degrees of rotational exposure (direct N and S are largely blocked), and it was completed just as LPT was being planned, so you'd think LPT would be using that circle to seize on the trend in a far superior way.
Having a 360 degree view isn't the same as revolving; and I'm 99.9% sure the the restaurant atop LPT never revolved.

I don't think I'm older than you think I am...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 6:59 AM
Chicago

July 6, 2017

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:06 AM

Nice view. Looks like this one should be past 500 lsd and lowes by this time next month?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 12:14 PM

Tower Cranes in the Lower Cloud Layer

Here are a couple of images collected from the NOAA webcam of the tower cranes on One Bennett Park reaching the lower cloud layer.

Collected from NOAA - Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory webcam https://www.glerl.noaa.gov//metdata/chi/chi1.jpg

Collected from NOAA - Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory webcam https://www.glerl.noaa.gov//metdata/chi/chi2.jpg

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:10 AM

Hole in facade

It looks like there's a broken part in one of the panels.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:48 AM
Chicago

July 17, 2017

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive