HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Are you referring to yourself?
Lol

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 1:03 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
I'm curious as to why the IC ROW through Grant Park is zoned DX-16.
My best guess is that it's a historical artifact. Prior to the 2004 zoning reform, Chicago didn't have a zoning category for open space, so parks all had the zoning designation of surrounding areas. Probably what happened was that the city council then passed an ordinance changing all Park District property to the new Open Space designation, but the IC ROW wasn't included as part of that.

This being Chicago, it's also possible it was deliberately left, to give additional density (by lowering the calculated FAR) to future projects in Lake Shore East or Central Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Are you referring to yourself?
I think you'll be hearing a lot about a new group: Friends of Wharfage.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 1:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Surely the mayor realizes—especially after all these months of civic discussion—that some other person or group would quickly file the very same lawsuit based on the public trust doctrine.

Bargaining with FotP just demonstrates that Mayor Emanuel sees everything as a transaction.
Nah, I don't think there are as many assholes out there who want to publicly humiliate themselves as you think

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 1:54 PM

Dropping Lawsuit?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
DNA is reporting it as well, great news!

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...awsuit-reports

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
Fool me once.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:15 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Bargaining with FotP just demonstrates that Mayor Emanuel sees everything as a transaction.
Wouldn't it also demonstrate the same of FotP?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:15 PM

Good....adding new park land elsewhere is good too.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Good....adding new park land elsewhere is good too.
Win, win and win. We are also getting more real park land on the lakefront with the Museum.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:21 PM

it sure does sound like a win-win but let's see. I'm worried they will pull the lawsuit contingent on the museum replacing Lakeside Center right away. Should I not be?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:21 PM
You had me at herro...

Wow, I'm amazed. I usually hold out support for thing to the end, but a few weeks ago I totally gave up on this one and stopped following along. It seemed dead as a doornail.

This is great, I really hope if it DOES go through, it's in the original location and not at McCormick.

Interesting to see what comes to fruition on the last four miles as well. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Win, win and win. We are also getting more real park land on the lakefront with the Museum.
AND if the rumor is true, then elsewhere too...hopefully at least. And I hope if this thing goes away that they will continue with the original site and not knock down the MP building.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:35 PM

Quote:
repurposing the old Lakeside Center building at McCormick Place as the new location of movie mogul George Lucas’ interactive museum.

if true, this would be a new development and means the new structure is off the table? also dosent address how the city plans to replace that convention space.

this is still a very poor outcome if the city needs to finance billions in building new McCormick place space itself.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:37 PM
you know where I'll be

nm

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:41 PM

Great, but as always we are now getting the least optimal, most expensive outcome because of these numb nuts. Sounds like the absurdly expensive McCormick place defilement is on deck. I bet the shitty ass parking lot remains and we lose an architectural treasure. Way to go friends of the parking lot!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:41 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...n-lucas-museum

"Though discussion at the board meeting centered on Emanuel's fall-back plan to put the museum on the McCormick Place lakefront campus, it also could end up on the original site: what now is a parking lot between McCormick Place and Soldier Field. That depends on how negotiations go.

The city could proceed with the latter on its own. But the plan to tear down and replace part of McCormick Place would require approval in Springfield, where lawmakers and Gov. Bruce Rauner would have to sign off on extending the life of several taxes.

Emanuel has dangled the possibility of creating hundreds of other acres of new park land elsewhere, giving FOP bragging rights. The group also reportedly wants a written assurance that a deal will be one-time-only and not clear the way for other non-park development on the lakefront."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Great, but as always we are now getting the least optimal, most expensive outcome because of these numb nuts. Sounds like the absurdly expensive McCormick place defilement is on deck. I bet the shitty ass parking lot remains and we lose an architectural treasure. Way to go friends of the parking lot!
It's "lets make a deal" mode now that resources and time appear no longer to be in FotP's favor. Their lawyers seem to think there is at least a more than negligable possibility that the appeals court will intervene in the city's favor leaving them completely up the creek with nothing at all to show for it except a lot of ill will. I suspect the Mayor will push for the original site in exchange for backing the Last Four Miles in order to sew this thing up as quickly as possible.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:51 PM

The MPE site requires special tax, special approval in Springfield. The original site has everything it needs already. It's a lot easier to do it on that site and I think most people would prefer that.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:58 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
It's "lets make a deal" mode now that resources and time appear no longer to be in FotP's favor. Their lawyers seem to think there is at least a more than negligible possibility that the appeals court will intervene in the city's favor
Where do you get that idea from?

The writ of mandamus only has a very tiny chance of being a winner for the city. The public trust doctrine only has a modest chance of being successful for FotP, as I've pointed out all along.

The way I read the situation is that FotP's board thought it was a better bet to get Mayor Emanuel on board with Last Four Miles than to play out a mediocre hand with LMNA. It's a bigger win for the city's parks if it works.

And, of course, nothing stops the people who don't agree with that decision from now filing the exact same lawsuit.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Where do you get that idea from?
FotPL's own lawyer is apparently telling them that they're on track to lose.

Quote:
"Friends is expected to address the situation today, but I'm told there was a contentious meeting two days ago when the group's attorney, Thomas Geoghegan, warned that the group could lose its case in court, and its board voted 12-4 to seek a negotiated settlement."
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...n-lucas-museum

Build the museum and start the last 4 miles. Everyone wins and FotPL lives to fight (for parking lots) another day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive