HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Two Gilmore Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Although I would love to see a new tallest in town, I find it sad if B.C.'s tallest will be a bland condo tower in the suburbs. Downtown needs to get its stuff together.
We can all see this coming. Good for Burnaby! If we keep this up, in another 50 years or so, perhaps Burnaby will look more like the urban centre of this region. Vancouver can become a heritage town, with various "villages".

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
...and the best way to achieve that is an attractive and walkable urban environment. Don't assume that tall buildings always equate to high density; the overall site has to be considered.

If your main concern is that streets don't appear dead at night, you're better off spreading the density across the site in the form of multiple midrises instead of a few highrises.
Vancouver's downtown streets have FAR more life late at night than most North American cities...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
We can all see this coming. Good for Burnaby! If we keep this up, in another 50 years or so, perhaps Burnaby will look more like the urban centre of this region. Vancouver can become a heritage town, with various "villages".
your posts are so over the top, how can you expect anyone to take them seriously when they are so relentlessly extremist?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
your posts are so over the top, how can you expect anyone to take them seriously when they are so relentlessly extremist?
You'd probably say the same thing 10 years ago if I were to say that Burnaby would one day build the tallest buildings in the Lower Mainland.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You'd probably say the same thing 10 years ago if I were to say that Burnaby would one day build the tallest buildings in the Lower Mainland.
Tallest residential tower in the region. How is the office market doing there? A regional centre brings people downtown to work, it doesn't export them.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Tallest residential tower in the region. How is the office market doing there? A regional centre brings people downtown to work, it doesn't export them.
The Global news story said the office space would target large floorplate tenants ("for the Googles and Microsofts of the world")
- maybe in the podiums?
So they may be trying to lure some of the existing suburban office tenants away from the Willingdon / Canada Way office park buildings over to a SkyTrain station.

Rendering from the display boards showing run-of-the-mill condo towers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:30 AM

There is nothing "dramatic" or "striking" about anything in that render. Clearly it is preliminary and hopefully a lot changes before the final design is chosen.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 9:28 PM

can the area handle that much retail? its so close to brentwood and solo and with lougheed planning to redo and add more retail thats a lot in a fairly close distance

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
can the area handle that much retail? its so close to brentwood and solo and with lougheed planning to redo and add more retail thats a lot in a fairly close distance
I think there is always more room for retail in the area. A lot of the restaurants in the area for example are mostly all North American or Sushi. A larger diversity of restaurants would be favourable.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:10 PM
victory in near

A little blurb in the burnaby now.

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/five-...nned-1.2151989

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:39 PM

I hope it pulls through. If anything it will make the people in Vancouver a little more pissy about it, resulting in a taller tower(s) being built in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
Folks living there are really excited about this new high-density development with malls, offices and high-rise residential towers, unlike those in Vancouver. This is a really good sign that the project will be approved.

Quote:
When there is a huge concentration of people start living in suburb neighbourhood centres, it becomes logical to build office towers there eventually. Remember, employment centres are usually close to huge residential clusters. May take a while, but I foresee more future office towers erected in Metrotown, Brentwood and Surrey Central. This phenomenon is quite different from what's happening in most North American cities, and that is a result of growth curbs in Vancouver and its downtown, which is driving more developers to build further out.

Gilmore at Brentwood can serve as the employment centre for Brentwood and Metrotown in the future, and not necessarily just downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I hope it pulls through. If anything it will make the people in Vancouver a little more pissy about it, resulting in a taller tower(s) being built in Vancouver.
Yeah, I think Vancouver City Council is fast "losing face". Ever wondered why much taller buildings are allowed to be built at gateway areas into Vancouver? Examples are Marine Gateway, intersection of Kingsway/Boundary or Joyce, and East Fraser Lands. Once you're in Vancouver proper, everything's just flat and getting old.

Last edited by Vin; Jan 15, 2016 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
When there is a huge concentration of people start living in suburb neighbourhood centres, it becomes logical to build office towers there eventually. Remember, employment centres are usually close to huge residential clusters. May take a while, but I foresee more future office towers erected in Metrotown, Brentwood and Surrey Central. This phenomenon is quite different from what's happening in most North American cities, and that is a result of growth curbs in Vancouver and its downtown, which is driving more developers to build further out.
You think that in most North American cities the suburbs AREN'T growing faster than downtowns?! Vancouver's downtown and city core residential population is vastly greater than other North American cities and its office market is booming at the expense of the suburbs. You are making things up to fit your opinion and ignoring the facts.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne..._lsa=af6a-9f73

Quote:
“What’s different about this cycle is that we have more downtown development. We’ve never seen so much office construction in downtown Vancouver or downtown Toronto,” said a fund manager quoted in the survey.
http://www.langleytimes.com/business/301471111.html

Quote:
A glut of new office towers being built in Vancouver may spell trouble for surrounding cities hoping to attract more jobs in their town centres.

An estimated 2.2 million square feet of new office space is already under construction in downtown Vancouver – enough to satisfy two decades worth of office demand at current absorption rates – and another 2.4 million square feet is proposed, according to Andrew Petrozzi, research vice-president for Avison Young.

It's the fastest office construction pace seen in Vancouver in decades, Petrozzi told Metro Vancouver's regional planning committee Friday.

But Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan warned the Vancouver office tower boom has serious implications for the rest of the region.
https://www.biv.com/article/2014/11/...t-suburbs-and/

Quote:
Metro Vancouver's office vacancy rate continues to soar to new 10-year highs but that is not deterring developers from building new space near transit centres or in downtown cores because those areas are seen as “hip” by the younger millennial generation.

“It’s certainly far from Armageddon [for building owners],” said Colliers International’s Vancouver managing director Maury Dubuque. “But, as tenants move out of their current premises and into their new buildings, there will be space left behind.”

Colliers recent research revealed that the region’s office vacancy rate crept up 0.3 percentage points and is now at 9.6%.

Dubuque told Business in Vancouver that he believes that the 2.2 million square feet of office space under construction in downtown Vancouver will push that rate as high as 13% when it is complete.

Concert Properties president Brian McCauley agreed and said that a disproportionate amount of future empty office space is likely to be either in the suburbs or “off the beaten track.”
http://dinani.ca/blog/59090-vancouve...th++study.html

Quote:
We’ve never seen so much office construction in downtown Vancouver or downtown Toronto

New construction of downtown office buildings in Canada is threatening to leave older towers behind and the suburbs out in the cold, says a new study.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 8:29 PM

^^ Thanks for putting the effort to posting those articles, but they are quite outdated from 2013. Back then, a shift of City policy to encourage more office spaces built and the general high demand due to natural resources this country was enjoying actually pushed construction of office towers in Vancouver, just like how it did in Calgary and Toronto.

I'm not looking at that, I'm talking about the trends that can take place should suburb cities continue to densify more on core neighbourhoods well into the future. I thinK you are missing the point here.

Today. the suburbs are getting denser, and with huge projects like the Amazing Brentwood and proposal for Gilmore centre eventually completed, I'm sure, future developers may invest more that way, especially when downtown Vancouver is running out of space, and worse still, locals are reluctant to let downtown expand outwards.

Last edited by Vin; Jan 15, 2016 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not looking at that, I'm talking about the trends that can take place should suburb cities continue to densify more on core neighbourhoods well into the future. I thing you are missing the point here.

Today. the suburbs are getting denser, and with the completion of huge projects like the Amazing Brentwood and proposal for Gilmore centre eventually completed, I'm sure, future developers may invest more that way, especially when downtown Vancouver is running out of space, and worse still, locals are reluctant to let downtown expand outwards.
Densify or just taller? Don't be fooled into thinking that taller=denser. There are many areas with tall buildings but surprisingly low overall densities. Look at density maps of the region and you'd realize Burnaby doesn't compare to Vancouver.

But why does that matter? Anyone who's read your posts knows your primary concern is height. If it's not tall, it's no good to you.

Any why are you still talking about urban densities? Give it a rest.

Quote:
Anyway I should stop discussing about urban densities here.
I think we both agreed on that.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
^^ Thanks for putting the effort to posting those articles, but they are quite outdated from 2013. Back then, a shift of City policy to encourage more office spaces built and the general high demand due to natural resources this country was enjoying actually pushed construction of office towers in Vancouver, just like how it did in Calgary and Toronto.

I'm not looking at that, I'm talking about the trends that can take place should suburb cities continue to densify more on core neighbourhoods well into the future. I thing you are missing the point here.

Today. the suburbs are getting denser, and with huge projects like the Amazing Brentwood and proposal for Gilmore centre eventually completed, I'm sure, future developers may invest more that way, especially when downtown Vancouver is running out of space, and worse still, locals are reluctant to let downtown expand outwards.
Double Post.

Last edited by csbvan; Jan 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:

No. In an office building cycle 2 years is a short period of time. Your posts are opinions. Your own opinions exclusively. Suburbs are getting denser because they have to, just like Vancouver had to get denser 40 or 50 years ago. But the trend is that the office boom is moving back to Vancouver's core and away from the suburbs, the trend away from the downtown and toward the suburbs for office construction was the trend of a decade or 2 ago.

Last edited by csbvan; Jan 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
No. In an office building cycle 2 years is a short period of time. Your posts are opinions. Your own opinions exclusively. Suburbs are getting denser because they have to, just like Vancouver had to get denser 40 or 50 years ago. But the trend is that the office boom is moving back to Vancouver's core and away from the suburbs, the trend away from the downtown and toward the suburbs for office construction was the trend of a decade or 2 ago.
It's my opinion against yours, we shall see. It's the future we are talking anyway. I want to see Vancouver removing the restrictions and see how it can propel forward, just like Burnaby, a great feat for a suburb.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 11:43 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There are over 6 office towers on the books for downtown right now and a few more in the planning stage. Do you know why they aren't being built? It's not because they are waiting to see if they can go taller, it's because there isn't the demand to justify them right now. When demand picks back up they will be built. Vancouver isn't envious of what Burnaby/Surrey/Richmond etc are building. They chose to chase the urban realm route and it's paying dividends. If anything you will see the suburbs change their plans and realize they went down the wrong way.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 12:23 AM

Vin is over reacting (and often silly) but if every other North American city can build towers over 200 meters tall I don't see why Vancouver can't do the same without having to sacrificing its great urban realm.

Shangri-La and Trump didn't destroy downtown...

A few towers between 200 and 220 meters would actually add wonders to the general aesthetic of downtown.

And several towers I am sure would have been built as so without the over bearing view cones.

I am super happy with the amount of taller towers going up, don't get me wrong, but I do feel there has been a little too much artificial reducing of height regarding the most ambitious projects downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley