HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 12:43 AM

Webcam pic from today.

Looks like they poured the roof of the office building and there's a feature column at the prow.

http://tld-kingscrossing.com/slideshow.htm

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 9:10 PM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:57 PM

Webcam from today -
The porthole in the fin at the top of the tower has been revealed.
The fin looks a bit shorter than in the rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
You can see the forms for the "fin" wall at the top.

http://realsforce.com/sites/default/...s_c1%20(1).jpg

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:06 PM

Amazing looking structure! Would love to see the LED light features once the chamfered structure is completed. Wonder what sort of retail is coming to the ground floor, could it be a supermarket?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Amazing looking structure! Would love to see the LED light features once the chamfered structure is completed. Wonder what sort of retail is coming to the ground floor, could it be a supermarket?
From the previous page: "They're still pretty quiet about what's moving into the podium - a cafe, bank and grocery store (no names and a 'subject to change' comment)."

They haven't really updated their website much since then.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:07 PM
victory in near

Quote:
oh man, I remember shopping at the IGA that used to be there in the 80's.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
From the previous page: "They're still pretty quiet about what's moving into the podium - a cafe, bank and grocery store (no names and a 'subject to change' comment)."

They haven't really updated their website much since then.
Hmmm, that's a really huge CRU though, and I reckon with high ceilings too. Hoping for a grocery store, or even something innovative like a public market would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
oh man, I remember shopping at the IGA that used to be there in the 80's.
Perhaps coming back to the new building?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, that's a really huge CRU though, and I reckon with high ceilings too. Hoping for a grocery store, or even something innovative like a public market would be awesome.
Perhaps you've missed the multiple comments in this thread about there being a grocery store as part of the retail (along with a cafe and a bank).

IGA and Safeway have been too busy closing locations to be likely to be opening here - maybe Sobeys or FreshCo?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 6:58 AM

This is what CBRE shows as the 1st floor retail floorplan.
2nd floor (31,310 sq ft) is leased for a fitness centre (Steve Nash?)
Unit 11 is also on the 2nd floor (see note 3)

https://www.commerciallistings.cbre....view=isLetting

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you've missed the multiple comments in this thread about there being a grocery store as part of the retail (along with a cafe and a bank).

IGA and Safeway have been too busy closing locations to be likely to be opening here - maybe Sobeys or FreshCo?
Ohh, yeah must have missed that. Looking at Officedweller's posting, I am surprised the grocer's isn't at the corner, but the bank instead. Those two should be swapped! Too late for that.

However, love the large number of smaller CRUs for moms and pops to own a business in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Ohh, yeah must have missed that. Looking at Officedweller's posting, I am surprised the grocer's isn't at the corner, but the bank instead. Those two should be swapped! Too late for that.
The bank would be in the office cube at the corner while the grocery store is under one of the towers. I wondered why have it that far up Edmonds instead of on Kingsway - but they're probably thinking of car access (much easier on Edmonds than on Kingsway).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
The bank would be in the office cube at the corner while the grocery store is under one of the towers. I wondered why have it that far up Edmonds instead of on Kingsway - but they're probably thinking of car access (much easier on Edmonds than on Kingsway).
Car-centric! And I suppose for the truck loading bays as well, as can be seen on the plan posted by Officedweller. But then again they could be designed differently in the first place. Oh well, the small CRUs along Kingsway would still be saving grace.

If I were the designer, I would place all the small CRUs along Edmonds, the huge market at the corner and fronting Kingsway, possibly double-storey, and have the bank tucked in the middle of the small CRUs.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Car-centric! And I suppose for the truck loading bays as well, as can be seen on the plan posted by Officedweller. But then again they could be designed differently in the first place. Oh well, the small CRUs along Kingsway would still be saving grace.

If I were the designer, I would place all the small CRUs along Edmonds, the huge market at the corner and fronting Kingsway, possibly double-storey, and have the bank tucked in the middle of the small CRUs.
Agreed, Edmonds is a ceremonial type street, smaller units along it would have been better for street atmosphere.

That Kingsway stretch is going to be a retail deadend not much foot traffic (whereas along Edmonds there would be a lot of 106 transit users.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 5:50 AM

I like the grocery location - if it were on the corner, you'd probably have 2 sides of blank windows with a door on the corner instead of smaller shops.
Think Canadian Tire at Cambie & 7th or Save-on-Foods across from it.

The CRUs facing Edmonds look like restaurant spaces.
No. 9 looks to have a big patio space, and Edmonds would be quieter for a patio.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I like the grocery location - if it were on the corner, you'd probably have 2 sides of blank windows with a door on the corner instead of smaller shops.
Think Canadian Tire at Cambie & 7th or Save-on-Foods across from it.

The CRUs facing Edmonds look like restaurant spaces.
No. 9 looks to have a big patio space, and Edmonds would be quieter for a patio.
Like Tetsuo said, Kingsway is a dead-end street for pedestrians, so it would make sense to have the large market there. Edmonds already has small retail on the opposite side and would therefore be better for smaller shops to be on the development side of the street. Besides, shoppers can easily cross the relatively quieter Edmonds street while doing their errands in the neighbourhood. Therefore having small CRUs along Kingsway does not make a lot of sense.

The market at the corner does not need to have 2 sides of blank windows. It can have a corner entrance and another entrance further down the block on Kingsway. In the middle, there could be a floral shop, cafe or bakery. Having a large market at the location would also look much better from Kingsway.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 8:27 PM

That makes sense re: supermarket just facing Kingsway.
But most smaller format / urban supermarkets (i.e. no big parking lot) don't have multiple entrances and want to maximize shelf space.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:11 PM
victory in near

regarding the store fronts along Kingsway, a lot of people live along Kingsway towards New West that walk to Edmonds. They used to walk through the Value Village parking lot but now they have to walk past these store fronts.

Plus the grocery store will act like an anchor tenant inside the Edmonds business community rather than adjacent to it (although I might compete directly with Tommy's!).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:02 AM

Corner scaffolding is coming down.
Just realized that the office block looks 1 level taller than in the rendering.

Webcam pic today.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 12:29 AM

Webcam from today.
Scaffolding removed from top of tower and from corner.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 10:10 PM

Woah. Love it. Kinda looks like the Avengers logo!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley