HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Structiural engineering article on the Coquitlam IKEA:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...u2boG_sNtFyPpA
Kind of off topic but I had no idea the Coquitlam Ikea is/was the 6th largest in the world. Although that article might be outdated, but still interesting.

I personally wouldn't want to live along the Fraser River this far downstream, but it will definitely be an interesting area to watch unfold. Like some of you have mentioned, Surrey could definitely take notes from this development.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 9:29 PM

Ever notice the methane detection and warning systems in stores along United Blvd? Look for the sensors and alarms next time you're there. These are not only in the areas that used to be garbage dumps, they're also where marshes and peat bogs were simply paved over.

Also, during the 2012 Haida Gwaii earthquake when most people in metro Van didn't know anything happened until they watched the news, moviegoers at Coquitlam cineplex were freaked out enough to flee the building.

Fraser Mills is a massive mistake in urban planning. Would be a good location for a major port facility or industry

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfreder View Post
Kind of off topic but I had no idea the Coquitlam Ikea is/was the 6th largest in the world. Although that article might be outdated, but still interesting.

I personally wouldn't want to live along the Fraser River this far downstream, but it will definitely be an interesting area to watch unfold. Like some of you have mentioned, Surrey could definitely take notes from this development.
Probably right for Coquitlam and New West, but not Surrey, not at this time at least. Over the last decade, the City of Surrey has had to muster critical resources and strategic focus on developing the City Centre core and can't afford to take its eyes/efforts off yet from this still embryonic project. Surrey's northern Fraser shore is a vast area within a vast municipality, it's development will flow organically as City Centre continues to develop northwards towards the river.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:

Stay tuned for Fraser Mills reveal
Beedie Group to present updated plans for former mill site to Coquitlam council Dec. 1
Diane Strandberg / Tri City News
October 14, 2016 08:52 AM

The project build-out will move from west to east, starting with development of industrial land, including a new building for AG Hair that was approved by Coquitlam council recently.

Roppel didn't confirm the number of residential towers and low-rise buildings that will be built over 20 to 25 years but said he expected more than 7,000 people will live there.

Among the changes to the area since the original master plan is School District 43's decision not to build a school nearby; as well, BCIT has said it is no longer interested in the area for a satellite campus.

But Roppel said there will be 16 acres of park, a greenway, with an enhanced Como Creek, cycling infrastructure and possibly indoor community space.
http://www.tricitynews.com/news/stay...veal-1.2365228

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 12:04 AM

Disappointing about the schools

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 12:51 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Disappointing about the schools
Give it another 10-20 years and they will likely reconsider. (the public school anyway) Beedie also owns the Wastech transfer station, hopefully they get them to relocate the facility sooner than later.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 10:10 PM

Yah why build a school there if the build out is 20-25 years? That's nearly 2 generations and realistically 1 generation before a school is even needed. With school districts strapped for cash across the province, they can't afford to build new schools where nobody lives. I'm sure if it expands to 7000 people or really starts to take off they'll reconsider.

It also depends on the demographic. If you have a lot of young adults moving there with no families, again no point for a school.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Give it another 10-20 years and they will likely reconsider. (the public school anyway) Beedie also owns the Wastech transfer station, hopefully they get them to relocate the facility sooner than later.
Was it sold as it was city of coquitlam land i believe

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 5:44 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Was it sold as it was city of coquitlam land i believe
It can always go on another piece of property in the future or incorporated in a future development.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:08 AM

at the foot of the south end of the hwy 1 overpass, basically where winners used to be, across the street they have built a new big box warehouse type of building, i keep trying to get a pic but the traffic light keeps going green on me. so perhaps the dream is dead? unless i have the location for fraser mills completely wrong.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
at the foot of the south end of the hwy 1 overpass, basically where winners used to be, across the street they have built a new big box warehouse type of building, i keep trying to get a pic but the traffic light keeps going green on me. so perhaps the dream is dead? unless i have the location for fraser mills completely wrong.
http://beediegroup.ca/properties/fra...lls-industrial

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:26 AM

ok. Well Building 1 is up and looks almost complete. I thought it was an all residential development.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Beedie Proposing Changes for Long Anticipated Fraser Mills Site
Key changes being proposed include:
◾Adding 1,000 residential units (up to 4,700)
◾Increasing the number of towers from 10 to 15;
◾Increasing tower heights up to 41-storeys;
◾Increase in total density from 4,062,430 SF to 4,757,000 SF;
◾Expanding the plan area to include vacant 4.8 acre Air Care site;
◾Addition of a 40,000 SF public community centre with aquatics;
◾Reducing the industrial space by 250,000 SF;
◾Reducing the proposed retail space by 50,000 SF;
◾Replacing the post-secondary use with a 4-storey strata office building;
◾Retaining the Kiewit Wharf as a public amenity;
◾Removing the elementary school use;
◾Reduction in number of project phases from 16 to 9.

Further details regarding the application can be viewed here: http://www.coquitlam.ca/docs/default...6.pdf?sfvrsn=2
http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2017/1...er-mills-site/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:43 PM

Hmm, not a fan of dropping out the retail as this development will surely be the focal point of the neighbourhood. Also surprised to see Beedie remove the industrial, as that's their bread and butter asset class.

I am however always happy to see more density and the phases being reduced from 16 down to 9.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:59 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I too am saddened to see the removal of industrial sqftage. Not unexpected to see them try and hope the city of Coquitlam turns that part down. We need as much industrial space close to the city as possible, especially somewhere with water access.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:49 AM

I'm also surprised that they removed all education uses. Alongside the substantial reduction in retail, this strikws me as poor planning for such a major project.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I'm also surprised that they removed all education uses. Alongside the substantial reduction in retail, this strikws me as poor planning for such a major project.
THe school board says if they don't need it, that's why it's being dropped

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 10:03 PM

Metro’s housing appetite swallows industrial land
Historic Fraser Mills site could be lost in Coquitlam as developers retool for condos
https://www.biv.com/article/2017/12/...dustrial-land/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Metro’s housing appetite swallows industrial land
Historic Fraser Mills site could be lost in Coquitlam as developers retool for condos
https://www.biv.com/article/2017/12/...dustrial-land/
This is an absolutely idiotic proposal that should never be allowed to see the light of day, so we all know it will be approved; little or even no questions asked.

That area is industrial, surrounded by other industrial, an the ideal location for future industrial development. But then again who cares about jobs and industry here when you have a doggy daycare and gourmet muffin shop to look forward to instead.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
This is an absolutely idiotic proposal that should never be allowed to see the light of day, so we all know it will be approved; little or even no questions asked.

That area is industrial, surrounded by other industrial, an the ideal location for future industrial development. But then again who cares about jobs and industry here when you have a doggy daycare and gourmet muffin shop to look forward to instead.
If this is approved the whole area is toast.

It will be a land rush by every developer to acquire waterfront parcels to build a new waterfront city center.

Not to mention the increase in assessed values as a result of this will put huge strain on the business owners paying property taxes here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley