HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 5:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Thanks for the thread, Metro. It's nice to have all the projects under one roof for convenient viewing.

I forgot all about the First Baptist Church Tower. I like that one.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 5:40 AM

1133 Melville looks alright, it just needs to be taller. The height:width ratio is off.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 5:59 AM

Yeah, the Baptist Tower is fantastic and I hope it goes ahead soon as shown.

1133 Melville was rejected and is being redesigned as far as I know.

Hopefully it retains the height.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Also, I know even Sir Norman Foster looks up to dleung's architectural intellect, but I would say more than just #17 are of any significance. I don't see any cities turning down #2, 6, 8, or possibly 11.
I like Trump and Shangri-la, but it's really just First Baptist and Vancouver House among the ones coming down the pipeline. 6000 Mckay is decent but not a landmark. And it's downhill from there. Before the construction of Patina and Capitol residences, Vancouver's tallest new buildings were mostly gems (Shaw tower, Woodwards, Wall Centre, etc). The ratio has really fallen.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I like Trump and Shangri-la, but it's really just First Baptist and Vancouver House among the ones coming down the pipeline. 6000 Mckay is decent but not a landmark. And it's downhill from there. Before the construction of Patina and Capitol residences, Vancouver's tallest new buildings were mostly gems (Shaw tower, Woodwards, Wall Centre, etc). The ratio has really fallen.
It behooves to remind that Architecture, like any artistic-oriented field, is subjective at its heart.

One man's landmark building is another man's skyline eyesore.

That being said, wouldn't Ole Schereen's 'Jenga' project on the West side and Kengo Kuma's proposed dramatic residential project also get a notable mention for interesting projects coming down the pipeline?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Totally agree with you there. Too many of our tallest towers are crap, and shouldn't have been allowed to go forward without high-end redesigns. They are all luxury towers so the only thing keeping them from better designs is greed on the developers' part.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
It behooves to remind that Architecture, like any artistic-oriented field, is subjective at its heart.

One man's landmark building is another man's skyline eyesore.

That being said, wouldn't Ole Schereen's 'Jenga' project on the West side and Kengo Kuma's proposed dramatic residential project also get a notable mention for interesting projects coming down the pipeline?
Both of those projects are under 150 meters, so they are not on this list and therefore not part of this thread.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Both of those projects are under 150 meters, so they are not on this list and therefore not part of this thread.
Yup, and we can totally thank the lovely viewcones for that. The suburbs are filling in this void and are going taller without the viewcones. However the buildings are more generic in design as they cannot sell at prices as high as Vancouver's, hence cutting down cost on design?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Totally agree with you there. Too many of our tallest towers are crap, and shouldn't have been allowed to go forward without high-end redesigns. They are all luxury towers so the only thing keeping them from better designs is greed on the developers' part.
It would take province-wide legislation to do it -though it would only affect the Lower Mainland - but I think that a certain level of design standard (dare I say "elegance")? is a must.
IMO, it should be just as applicable to suburban town centres as the city of Vancouver itself. Otherwise, it'll just be miles and miles of Jane & Finch, Thorncliffe Park, Mississauga blaaah.
Luckily, a number of suburban centres (like Surrey SFU, parts of Brentwood, maybe Metrotown - yours to judge - have more design than suburban T.O. Just be sure & keep it that way.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
It would take province-wide legislation to do it -though it would only affect the Lower Mainland - but I think that a certain level of design standard (dare I say "elegance")? is a must.
IMO, it should be just as applicable to suburban town centres as the city of Vancouver itself. Otherwise, it'll just be miles and miles of Jane & Finch, Thorncliffe Park, Mississauga blaaah.
Luckily, a number of suburban centres (like Surrey SFU, parts of Brentwood, maybe Metrotown - yours to judge - have more design than suburban T.O. Just be sure & keep it that way.

Much as we'd all like to see better and more elegant designs of towers instead of the drab cookie-cutter template that seems to be littering the 'burbs, what you're proposing is essentially like asking them to shoot themselves in the foot.

These projects (especially in the suburbs) bring them a lot of tax revenue and jobs (not to mention housing).
If the planning committees began delaying or even rejecting project designs in lieu of better or improved designs, a lot of developers would opt to pursue their profits elsewhere or be discouraged from building in the GVA.
Don't forget that one of the reasons that the suburbs and Burnaby in particular, are seeing a lot of construction activity and project proposals is because of how much easier (read: relatively less resistance and restrictions versus say, downtown Vancouver for example) it is to build there than other places.
Furthermore, there'd be an inadvertent side effect of increased condo price costs since good designs (ostensibly from expensive architects) don't come cheap, and developers being who they are would pass those costs to the end-buyers.

Ironically, it might also be a great way to slow down and cool down the red hot real estate market.
Although I don't think the city would quite see it that way.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 10:08 PM

I like how none of these 150m+ towers in Vancouver look alike. They aren't all winners exactly (I don't hate the Residences at the Hotel Georgia, and it's growing on me, but I still don't love it; and we will see how Burrard Gateway turns out), but most of them are good, if not great, looking buildings and they all deviate from the "cookie cutter" look of most towers in the region. Vancouver has at least ensured that its taller buildings stand out from the pack, and I hope that this trend continues.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 1:00 AM

I just remembered you forgot to add 4670 Assembly Way (Station Square Two) to the list. It's about 165 metres (so in eleventh place).

Last edited by BobLoblawsLawBlog; Nov 25, 2016 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
I just remembered you forgot to add 4670 Assembly Way (Station Square Two) to the list. It's about 165 metres (so in eleventh place).
That's right. But wasn't that te old proposed height and the actual one being built is shorter?

Maybe someone can post all the final heights (not including the tiny spires) of Station Square. I know the first tower is 119 and the 5th and tallest is 172.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 7:37 AM

^The fourth tower (6080 McKay Avenue) is 141m. The second and third towers never gave specific heights in their applications. If someone has spoken to the developer or someone who has specific info, that would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
You have to remember that developers are the largest donors to provincial and municipal parties in BC, so what they say is what goes, more or less. The only way you're going to get the government to listen to what people want, especially on fringe issues like this, is to get money out of politics.

Remember that BC is like the wild west for campaign finance rules, where even foreign groups can donate money. Even the US doesn't allow that (technically). Are our politicians as corrupt as in the US? No. What the people want still has a lot of sway up here. But for small issues like this, the developers are going to get their way.

As to your other point, I think it's fair to say that our suburbs are at the top of their class. Certainly in this part of the world.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 10:15 AM

koops65 has made a pretty nice diagram for the tallest Gilmore Tower on the diagrams page.

Looks to be around 210 meters with mechanical.

Not sure if he knows something we don't or just a guesstimate using the floor count.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 1:12 AM

Where? I'm not seeing it.

EDIT. I didn't have the proposal option checked off lol

And there's still isn't Brentwood 3 or 4. And station square!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 1:19 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Where? I'm not seeing it.

EDIT. I didn't have the proposal option checked off lol

And there's still isn't Brentwood 3 or 4. And station square!
It took me a minute to find it. Just type in 'Burnaby' in to the diagram search function, and you'll see it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 1:23 AM

I asked him and it is just an educated guess for now.

You would think that a project proudly advertising itself as BC's tallest would have the official height a little more available.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 1:23 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I made a drawing of the GEC Education Mega Center in Surrey: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=111510
Surrey diagram: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=75802173

I also made 1447 West Georgia, but it hasn't yet been approved, be patient for that one please.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:46 AM

Thanks for all of your great work Koops

Where did you get the renders for 1445 West Georgia? The drawing you have looks a lot more complete (and a lot nicer of a building) than whats on the 1445 West Georgia website

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley