HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:20 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Is this the same site Pelorus Group was going to develop before things went south for them? I heard it was going to be another Moda apartment building.
Not sure, I missed that one but it's not a MODA. Different group. Quote was 12-16 stories. It's in new hands and they need to get the height to pay the price. Amazing how that works. All this belly-aching about the lack of high rise development we are seeing and the market goes out and demands higher density and height! Downtown dirt is now too expensive to do stick frame because stick frame can't support height. Only concrete or steel at that point. But height can't happen until rents demand that because concrete and steel are expensive. etc etc. Our current state of infill building in SLC proper is doing the job we need it to do, which is to consume land.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:25 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
The fact that SLC proper had almost 6,000 residents added last year is unreal given our compact core. A huge chunk of that is Lehi people. We have to get some campus action downtown and leadership who know how to capitalize on that demand. Patrinely is a great start. Tech companies at the point can't recruit to Lehi or Draper any more. I've heard that dozens of times. We have also had more than one huge tech campus go away to the suburbs because of really ossified city admin structures.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Tech jobs provide a LOT more economic output per worker than the industries you mentioned. The software boom ("Silicon Slopes" or whatever you want to call it) is a massive driver of our economic boom at the moment. No, it's not the only thing, but it's much more significant than you're making it out to be. It's the #1 reason why Utah has one of the best economies in the country right now, and it's driving the majority of the development around Point of the Mountain, which is also where the most development is currently occurring.
You are spot on. Silicon based jobs are the bread and butter right now. That is not to say that people aren't making a lot of money in the other industries, but it is important to remember that the other industries mentioned are mostly support jobs that increase in response to growth. They latch on to the growth drivers. The growth drivers are the industries that are exporting their services and importing cash into our economy. The other industries mostly just grow in response to that increased cash/spending. If SLC could attract a large portion of these software jobs, you would see an office boom in downtown unlike anything in my lifetime.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
You are spot on. Silicon based jobs are the bread and butter right now. That is not to say that people aren't making a lot of money in the other industries, but it is important to remember that the other industries mentioned are mostly support jobs that increase in response to growth. They latch on to the growth drivers. The growth drivers are the industries that are exporting their services and importing cash into our economy. The other industries mostly just grow in response to that increased cash/spending. If SLC could attract a large portion of these software jobs, you would see an office boom in downtown unlike anything in my lifetime.
I agree whole heartedly. If the trend of tech companies changed to building in downtown, we would have highrises popping up left and right.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
This isn't unexpected, though I find it interesting that the city itself is disputing the number and claiming that it's lower because it's based on building permits that had been awarded but not yet built out at the time. You would think they would want the higher number lol.

Either way, estimates are just that - estimates. We won't know for sure what the population is until 2020 - or early 2021. And it's hard to imagine it won't be over 200,000 by that time. Maybe even 210,000 if we're lucky.
The city isn't disputing the number. That was a rep from the Kem C. Gardner Institute, though their previous estimates have been higher than the U.S. Census. Kem C. Gardner estimates that the city had 195,262 in 2016 and added 2,548 people last year which would put the city at just under 198,000 in 2017, so either way we are for sure around 200,000 now.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:34 PM

Ahh I guess I misread the Tribune article.

But yeah, it's not like it matters all that much. Again, estimates are just estimates and we're surely over 200,000 by now.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:39 PM

Everyone concerned about our skyline needs to remember that there is block 67, 5-6 residential towers, Tower 8, 650 Main, etc in various planning stages. Even if not every one of these is built they will add to our skyline.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:39 AM
Engineer

Broadway Apartments, 256 Units, 336 East 200 South, 330 East 300 South. It will span the entire block and looks like it will have retail fronting both 200 South and 300 South. Looks like Dubei Court will be preserved but no through street:

Just west of Big Lots and south of planned Violin School Commons. Violin School Commons is the blue portion north of 200 S, Broadway the one south:

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:45 AM
Engineer

Hopefully the Big Lots lot will be eaten up soon.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:11 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
" If SLC could attract a large portion of these software jobs, you would see an office boom in downtown unlike anything in my lifetime."
This is where the city is blowing big chunks.... Economic development. Watching the mayor and her staff act like jack-holes by not negotiating with the state speaks volumes of where the city's attitude has been on this topic.

Totally unnecessary and embarrassing regardless.

Not a fan of how the state is proceeding either, by the way.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:08 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Broadway Apartments, 256 Units, 336 East 200 South, 330 East 300 South. It will span the entire block and looks like it will have retail fronting both 200 South and 300 South. Looks like Dubei Court will be preserved but no through street:

Just west of Big Lots and south of planned Violin School Commons. Violin School Commons is the blue portion north of 200 S, Broadway the one south:

That's fucking hideous.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:53 AM

I agree comrade. I hope they re-consider that proposal and at least break it up into a north and south building with a mid-block pedestrian pathway.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
I agree comrade. I hope they re-consider that proposal and at least break it up into a north and south building with a mid-block pedestrian pathway.
Agreed. It's terrifying.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 6:42 PM

Or just make it taller and then we can finally get our first real commie block and build 20 more just like it!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 8:13 PM

I understand we are in a forum titled SkyscraperPage, and while yes, it would be awesome to have an impressive looking skyline, I don't think SLC's lack needs to be either a priority, nor even a concern.

The skyline will come insofar as the metro area develops the economic and cultural vibrancy to support one.

At the end of the day, skyscrapers are vanity projects, and completely unnecessary for good urban living.

The key to urban living is high density development, this enables all the other great things about living in cities, namely
  • Walkability
  • Public transport networks
  • Cultural vibrancy

etc.

In order to get all of the above, 4-6 stories is all you need.

So the high density development is coming and that's why I'm optimistic about the area. Really, in large part thanks to Trax and Frontrunner. These two projects are and will continue to be the backbone for the urbanization of the Metro area. Without them we would still be stuck in sprawl mode. Really, hats off to the leaders of the state who had the vision to push these projects through.

Finally, I'd just like to say that I have never once have walked through Vienna or the Village and thought, hmm, really wished they had built a skyscraper here instead of all the grocery stores, apartment buildings, and cafes that make the area so pleasant to be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskeUtahn View Post
Or just make it taller and then we can finally get our first real commie block and build 20 more just like it!!!

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 9:12 PM
The Drifter

Really like this video from Real Engineering. He also uses an older video shot of Salt Lake when City Creek was being built.

Video Link

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 9:13 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskeUtahn View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
email that to the developer.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Tech jobs provide a LOT more economic output per worker than the industries you mentioned. The software boom ("Silicon Slopes" or whatever you want to call it) is a massive driver of our economic boom at the moment. No, it's not the only thing, but it's much more significant than you're making it out to be. It's the #1 reason why Utah has one of the best economies in the country right now, and it's driving the majority of the development around Point of the Mountain, which is also where the most development is currently occurring.
You seem to think that I made the argument that tech aren't better jobs. I didn't and I'm glad that we have them. As far as the multiplier effect of those jobs I would argue that SLC has benefitted to a great degree, being the center of the metro, to those tech dollars being spent.

Your argument that tech Jobs have made Lehi the center of our region doesn't really hold water because it simply hasn't materialized. Lehi has not pulled people out of SLC, there is more now than ever. It hasn't canibalized DT business, it has boosted it.

Srlsy. Canvas 100 Lehi residents about the last time they were in downtown SLC. Canvas 100 SLC residents and ask about the last time they were in "DT" Lehi. The claim that a disproportionate number of good jobs makes Lehi the center is ridiculous. It's just not true.

there are plenty of very high paying jobs in Salt Lake City. there are more total jobs in Salt Lake City. People who live and work outside of Salt Lake City tend to visit Salt Lake City for any number of activities. Salt Lake City is the headquarters of a church in about 10 million people. It is the state capitol. It is the heart of finance in Utah.

It is not a zero sum game game. Lehi's success is not at the expense of SLC it is to her benefit more often than not. Rather than usurping SLC'S place in the region Lehi has bolstered it.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
You seem to think that I made the argument that tech aren't better jobs. I didn't and I'm glad that we have them. As far as the multiplier effect of those jobs I would argue that SLC has benefitted to a great degree, being the center of the metro, to those tech dollars being spent.

Your argument that tech Jobs have made Lehi the center of our region doesn't really hold water because it simply hasn't materialized. Lehi has not pulled people out of SLC, there is more now than ever. It hasn't canibalized DT business, it has boosted it.

Srlsy. Canvas 100 Lehi residents about the last time they were in downtown SLC. Canvas 100 SLC residents and ask about the last time they were in "DT" Lehi. The claim that a disproportionate number of good jobs makes Lehi the center is ridiculous. It's just not true.

there are plenty of very high paying jobs in Salt Lake City. there are more total jobs in Salt Lake City. People who live and work outside of Salt Lake City tend to visit Salt Lake City for any number of activities. Salt Lake City is the headquarters of a church in about 10 million people. It is the state capitol. It is the heart of finance in Utah.

It is not a zero sum game game. Lehi's success is not at the expense of SLC it is to her benefit more often than not. Rather than usurping SLC'S place in the region Lehi has bolstered it.
I think you are misinterpreting his argument. Everyone of course agrees that SLC is bigger than Lehi. His argument is merely that JOB growth is growing faster there than it is in slc right now. Further it is ONLY about job growth, thus people visiting "downtown Lehi" is not part of the equation, as even the jobs are not near "downtown lehi." Also the amount of jobs even in Lehi is not as many as SLC, it's just that GROWTH is happening faster there right now.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Developers rarely do something for the 'good' of the community (there's rare exceptions). Unless they're forced to do something they usually won't do shit. SLC as a government entity needs to do more and try harder. Though I assume most of them live a rather suburban life themselves in the avenues/foothills/sugarhouse.

The good thing is nearly 100% of the population increases in SLC are in urban areas in urban developments, so hopefully their voices can start moving Salt Lake from a suburban mindset to an urban one.

www.UtahProjects.info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West