HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:52 PM

Richmond Updates

THE RICHMOND UPDATES THREAD

After a long hiatus, I have finally gotten around to starting the long-promised Richmond updates thread! The City of Richmond has many under-the-radar projects, both in and outside of the city centre, and I would like to dedicate some attention to them here. I took a bike ride around Richmond to show most of the current projects underway.

First, some useful links:

The Richmond Official Community Plan
- Outlines Land use and has colourful maps of the city’s zoning designations. There is a large map (2041 OCP Land Use” as well as https://www.richmond.ca/cityhall/bylaws/ocp/sched2.htm?PageMode=HTML.

The Richmond Interactive Map, which shows where rezoning and development applications are located. To turn them on, click on “Planning Services” at the left and turn on “Active Development Applications.” What’s nice about the RIM is that it often shows new applications before any other resource in this list, and that you can see every single application submitted for a site, even completed ones.

Current Development Applications List - Updated monthly; lists new development applications only. It can be easier to discover new applications through this list than through the map, although they are not organized by date for whatever reason.

City Council Hearings - Allows you to find out about the next rezoning applications to debated at city hall. Excellent place to find the applications themselves, with architectural renderings and all.

Development Permit Panel Hearings - Allows you to find out about the next development applications to be debated. Find renderings here too.

Weekly Updated list of Building Permits - Often the best place to see which projects are about to start construction. Most of the stuff in here is SFH’s though.

City Centre future road plan: self explanatory. Although most of this plan is at least 5 or 10 years away, some of the roads are currently in the planning process. One of the most major is River Road (the long red line referred to as the North Loop Road), which will allow the city to build a massive park on the Fraser River, as well as many developments on the East side of the Road.

THREADS FOR CURRENT RICHMOND PROJECTS (updated June 2018)

International Trade Centre - vanman - Under Construction.

Concord Gardens - VancouverOfTheFuture - Complete and Under construction

Pinnacle Park Place - mr.x - Complete, Under construction and Proposed

Viewstar - SkyboxInvestment - Starting construction

River Green - metroXpress - Under construction

Steveston Updates - whatnext - This thread has been quiet a while

Garden City Lands Park - Genauso - Giant new city park

Parc Riveria - officedweller - almost complete; 6 storey midrises + Townhouses

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:53 PM

Now, the first “update.” I started my trip by Bridgeport station and went South through the Capstan Village, then west to the Olympic Oval and finishing by Brighouse. All photos are mine unless stated; all are taken June 16, 2018 unless stated.

BRIDGEPORT AREA

Oak Street Bridge Hotel Project - Ampar Developments

This one is just east of the bridge on Bridgeport road. It’s been an abandoned lot for years - I think that the original development got cancelled, but they started clearing a few months ago.

Development Permit Link

International Trade Centre - Myie Development

The first building in a new office and commercial district, to be built on the site of the Summer Night Market. http://itcrichmond.com/

Education Centre - New Continental Properties

This one has been in the works for a while. Located just south of the International Trade Centre, It includes hotels, retail, and education uses, and is currently in pre-construction. Interestingly, there is an orphan lot in the middle of the development - an Italian restaurant - and eventually this lot will become a parking lot.

Newest Rezoning Application

Vancouvermarket article about the development - thank you to officedweller

Viewstar - Yuanheng

This one is massive. Something like 10 towers on an entire city block, and it will include a new community centre and an office tower. Currently selling and starting construction. http://viewstar.ca/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:54 PM

CAPSTAN VILLAGE

This city block is dominated by developments by Concord and Pinnacle. It will include a future skytrain station and city park. To date only about half of the block has been built out.

Overview

Sorrento and Torino - Pinnacle

Pinnacle loves to build enormous blocks with Hong Kong-like density. The block under construction, Sorrento, will have 4 towers total when complete. The large dirt pit in front of Sorrento is the 3rd phase of the development, to be called Torino (although they consider it to be the 2nd phase for some reason). Pinnacle also owns the NW corner of the block, to be home to a hotel and more condos.

Map of the Pinnacle Development, from Pinnacle Development Application

This is where the first phase (0th phase?) meets Sorrento.

Torino lot.

Concord Gardens - Concord

Concord has finished 3 towers, and is building 2 more in this development. I daresay that they have used spandrel rather well in this development, and that the streetscape feels very cozy.

Last photo: the impark lot is a future Dava developments project - they have their sign up at the corner of Capstan and Garden City.

Concord also owns the SW corner of the city block, at Capstan and No. 3 Road (where their presentation centre now sits). They plan to add 3 more towers, but this development is currently under rezoning.

Fiorella - Polygon

This is the 3rd phase of Polygon’s Avanti project. Currently pre construction.

Vancouvermarket article

This last photo shows the streetscape by Avanti. The development is super wide and essentially cuts off a 200m city block with a concrete wall, but at the end of the road, they have built in a pedestrian connection to the mall north of the site.

Aberdeen Park - City of Richmond

I haven’t seen this one mentioned in the Suburban thread. New urban park kitty corner to Aberdeen mall, and it looks like it’s about to open.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:55 PM

OVAL VILLAGE

Now, onto the oval village - one of my favourite areas of the city. There is a lot of land left to be developed, most of it being south of the oval. A future development site will be the WorkSafeBC site, which is huge. Now, for current developments…

River Green 2 - Aspac

This is one of the most impressive new projects in Richmond. The second phase of RG alone will include 7 towers when finished, and the 2 towers that they’ve completed so far have a very well proportioned and finished design. My pictures do not do it justice.

All along my trip, I saw many Granville Island concrete trucks running around. I eventually tracked them down to be for a giant pour at RG2.

River Park Place 2 & 3 - Intracorp

Phases 2 and 3 are being built together. The first and second photo are taken from NW, the last one from the south, at a 4 way intersection where one road makes a 90 degree turn and 2 others end.

Cascade City - Landa Global

This one will hopefully look good when it’s finished. Landa Global is prepping the site for 2 wavy towers, which look different than most of what’s been built in the area. (Side note: I hope that the RONA north of this site finds a new home soon, because it sits on prime land. They have a lease until 2035, unfortunately.)

Daily Hive article

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:56 PM

CITY CENTRE

Orchid - Beedie

Almost finished. To the north of this site sits the old Cactus Club site, which I’m hoping will get redeveloped within a few years.

Lansdowne District - Vanprop Investments

The site of Lansdowne mall is to be transformed into a new community, with 24 towers and a lot of public space. The plan is to first develop around the mall, then the mall itself.

Project Website

UrbanYVR article

Images are from the project website, downsized by urbanYVR:

Atmosphere Richmond - Southstreet Development

A large, 7 tower development across the street from Lansdowne mall. Buildings on the site have been demolished, but no construction yet. Designed by GBL architects.

Sales Website

Dailyhive article

Render by GBL architects; image taken from Dailyhive article.

Live at Richmond Centre - Shape Properties

Designed by GBL architects, Richmond Centre will have over 1800 condos. They plan to retain at least part of the mall when the entire development is complete.

UrbanYVR article

The presentation centre is currently under construction.

Lot South of Brighouse Station - Keltic Development

Replacing a large strip mall, this 4 tower development, is designed by GBL architects. The site is currently being demolished.

Dailyhive article

Render by GBL architects; image taken from DailyHive article.

Elle Richmond - Regent International

Built on a super narrow lot, Elle is one of the more “modernist” towers being built in Richmond (although it’s quite hard to say that it’s a modernist design). Located at the corner of Buswell and Cook Rd.

Park Road Square Development - Grand Long Holdings

Three tower development currently undergoing rezoning. Doesn’t look too good in my opinion.

Vancouvermarket article

Render by WT Leung Architects; taken from Vancouvermarket article.

Live at Alfa - Anderson Square Holdings

Located the corner of Anderson and Buswell. Alfa has been sold out since 2014 or 2015, and a dirt lot for about as long. I think that it’s gotten a few inches deeper a month since then, because when I visited the site, it seemed deeper than I last remembered. Not sure when construction will start.

Also, in the week between starting work on this thread and finally publishing it, the website was taken down.

GLITZ - iFortune Homes

Located at Anderson and 3 Road, across from city hall, Glitz is one of the better looking new towers. It’s designed by GBL architects. The taller tower on No. 3 road is for offices, while the podium is for residential. Between my last visit to the site and the taking of the photo, the compacting dirt has been removed. Currently undergoing development application.

iFortune WebsiteiFortune Website

Rendering taken from iFortune website, linked above.

6333 Cooney Rd - Bold Properties

Included this one because the site has an interesting history. About 10 years ago, a development called “Serenade” was cancelled here. The current project is undergoing a development application; as it was submitted this year I don’t expect construction to start for another few years.

Also, Bold properties is planning a project at 8131 Westminster Hwy - about 50m away from the corner of Westminster Hwy and No. 3 Road.

Grand at Lansdowne - CCM Investment Group

At the corner of Lansdowne Rd and Cooney Rd. This tower is now essentially complete.

Garden City Lands Park

This is Richmond’s largest new park, and about half of it will be dedicated to urban farming. The perimeter trail opened to the public around mid-June.

MIDRISE PROJECTS

I decided to include some mid rise projects as well, as I find them to be rather interesting. Richmond has a few places where midrise projects are concentrated, shown in the photos below.

This first one is at the intersection of Cooney and Park Rd, and includes a midrise + townhouses. The area east of Cooney Rd has seen (and will continue to see) a rather interesting form of development that the city calls a “Parking structure townhouse” - a ground level parking garage with 4 storeys of condos above, with townhouses lining the streets and laneways.

Development application

Berkley House - Polygon

Berkley house is a 6 storey project located in the Alexandra Rd neighbourhood - a city block that’s been rezoned for midrises and townhouses. Richmond’s new walmart and Cambie fire station are located here.

Berkley house is something like the 5th or 6th Polygon project in the area, the previous one being Trafalgar Square, currently under construction.

Berkley House presentation centre, Odlin Rd.

Berkley House site.

Trafalgar Square, located about 100m North of the Garden City lands.

Close up.

Parc Riveria Monaco - Dava Developments

A mix of 6 storey and 4 storey condo buildings, as well as townhouses. Monaco is the last condo building, currently UC. This site is on the North arm of the Fraser river, and is visible from the Canada line Skytrain bridge. To the east of the site will be a city park and several more townhouse projects, by other developers.

Also, “The Gardens” by Townline, at the corner of 5 Road and Steveston Highway, is a major mid rise project. I can’t imagine wanting to live so close to the highway though.

Developer site/

Image taken from Townline website.

Well, that’s that! Richmond has an incredible future ahead if this rate of development and foreign cash continues. Some potential problems will be traffic (as the city centre is already a parking lot during rish hour), as well as house prices, as they are often comparable to Vancouver’s already. I will occasionally update this thread with new images, especially since the summer has now arrived.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 12:35 AM

Thank you for a symphonic set of opening pictures.
I think that it is time for this thread, especially given some of the splendid projects shown here.
Perhaps a lot of people in the Metro region and / or on ssp, don't give Richmond that much thaought.
Being in the flight paths of YVR dictates that it not exceed a certain height, and for many people, that translates as uninteresting.
Looking at this, that's all about to change, I rather think

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 1:07 AM

What a high quality thread and posts. Thank you very much.

As a former Richmond resident, I'm going to look forward keeping an eye on things in this thread.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 2:55 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Fantastic thread. Thanks for the massive photo updates!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 5:14 AM

great thread, thanks for doing all this work!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:07 AM

Thanks, so much to keep track of

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks for creating the thread!

More pics of Cascade City:

Cascade City

And there's that Townline Homes project at No 3 Rd. & Lansdowne
(just south of Atmosphere Richmond by Southstreet Development)

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Immediately south of the project above.....

No. 3 Rd & Lansdowne
by Townline Homes

Retail info and render of project - includes an office tower!!!
The retail floorplan shown seems to omit the grocery store at the north end of the site.
The plan shown doesn't properly interface with the new east-west road to the north
and the retail areas shown are missing 15,526 sq ft (from the 44,000 sq ft total)

http://form.ca/campaigns/2017/monthl...er_Mailer.html

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 23, 2018 at 11:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 12:10 PM

Subbed. Looked like a great day for a bike ride.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 7:07 PM

Actually some nice looking projects underway in Richmond, thanks for the updates.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks for creating the thread!

And there's that Townline Homes project at No 3 Rd. & Lansdowne
(just south of Atmosphere Richmond by Southstreet Development)
I haven't seen the renderings for this one, thanks!

Also, today I found the rezoning applications for an Onni project at Alderbridge and Minoru Blvd.

Source: Rezoning Application by Onni (Page 154 onward)

https://www.richmond.ca/agendafiles/..._6-19-2018.pdf

What scares me a bit about this development is the temporary intersection at Alderbridge and Minoru. The city plans to move the intersection to meet the new alignment once the land beside Riva 2 is developed, but for now this intersection is a mess. They've left only one travel lane SW-bound on Alderbridge.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 2:15 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Thread set as 'Sticky' in the Metro Van sub forum.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:24 AM

Slightly different rendering of the Townline project on No. 3 Rd @ Lansdowne (NW corner)

https://form.ca/campaigns/2018/month...ne_Mailer.html

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 11:33 AM

Ah yes, dozens of high rises to be built and bought out by mostly corrupt money from China, in condos where nobody will live, and resulting in the ever growing inflation of housing prices in Vancouver which makes it unaffordable for actual residents of Vancouver. You dont need war machines to take over countries these days, just buy out all the politicians with ill gotten money. What is happening in Vancouver, especially Richmond are not exciting property developments, its a takeover.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 7:55 PM
Rational urbanist

Thank you very much for setting up this thread. While I share some of ssiguy's cynicism regarding the ability of these projects to actually improve quality of life in the city, I grew up in Richmond and appreciate being able to keep track of what's going on there.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapin View Post
Ah yes, dozens of high rises to be built and bought out by mostly corrupt money from China, in condos where nobody will live, and resulting in the ever growing inflation of housing prices in Vancouver which makes it unaffordable for actual residents of Vancouver. You dont need war machines to take over countries these days, just buy out all the politicians with ill gotten money. What is happening in Vancouver, especially Richmond are not exciting property developments, its a takeover.
Where's your source?

I knew someone had to come in here and make all these skewed claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Thank you very much for setting up this thread. While I share some of ssiguy's cynicism regarding the ability of these projects to actually improve quality of life in the city, I grew up in Richmond and appreciate being able to keep track of what's going on there.
As far as I'm concerned, the quality of life has already improved by leaps and bounds compared to 15 years ago, where most areas were just run-down industrial blight. Now there are many improved urban areas where people can go to. Only thing that brings in criticism is the demographic makeup in this city. As a result, Richmond and its population never fail to attract the usual racist comments. Note scrapin's choice of wordings: "it's a takeover". This is darn Trumpish.

Happy Canada Day!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:59 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Where's your source?

I knew someone had to come in here and make all these skewed claims.

As far as I'm concerned, the quality of life has already improved by leaps and bounds compared to 15 years ago, where most areas were just run-down industrial blight. Now there are many improved urban areas where people can go to. Only thing that brings in criticism is the demographic makeup in this city. As a result, Richmond and its population never fail to attract the usual racist comments. Note scrapin's choice of wordings: "it's a takeover". This is darn Trumpish.

Happy Canada Day!
Unattractive industrial areas do not hurt quality of life nearly in the same way that unaffordable housing does. I know we all have a growth fetish on here, but the bigger picture needs to be kept in mind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley