HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 8:09 AM

[Richmond] Richmond Centre Mall | 27 acres | 12 towers | 45m | U/C

Richmond Centre Mall Redevelopment, Richmond
  • 2 Phases
  • Expected Ground Breaking for Phase 1, 2019
  • Expected Ground Breaking for Phase 2, 2022
  • 27 Acres of Land
  • 12 Residential Towers
  • Tower Heights of ~45m (Max Allowable)
  • Up To ~15 Floors
  • Total Units 2,000
  • 1,850 Market Units
  • 150 Affordable Housing Units
  • Total sqft 2,500,000
  • Net Increase in retail space of 129,513sqft
Richmond Centre Redevelopment
VancouverMarket
Daily Hive Article
UrbanYVR Article

Overhead View of Development

Source

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:13 PM
BANNED

Just wanted today that thank god Richmond is run by a smart government that packs housing around skytrain stations and doesn’t need 2-3 years to plan it out way to kick ass Richmond!

PS: if richmond was running things vancouver would not have a housing crisis!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
Overhead View of Development

Source
I would assume that The Bay owns the other part of the mall. Presumably the current residential on the bay side would make further development difficult there. Also the city owns the coast capital portion of the mall. That's a bit of a quirk isn't it?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post
I would assume that The Bay owns the other part of the mall. Presumably the current residential on the bay side would make further development difficult there. Also the city owns the coast capital portion of the mall. That's a bit of a quirk isn't it?
The part owned by the City may have been an old road RoW between the 2 malls when they were separate?

Here's a Global Air Photo from 1985:

February 1985
The Sears store is at the north end of the south mall below the word "Photos".
I can't quite recall, but one mall was called "Richmond Centre" (maybe the Bay side)
and the other may have been called "Richmond Place" (maybe the Sears side).

http://old.globalairphotos.com/galle...+Centre/1985/3

Last edited by officedweller; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 11:10 PM

The next photos aren't til 1996 (July) when the Horizons condos are being built:

July 1996:
You can see the upper level movie theatres (now the food court).

http://old.globalairphotos.com/galle...+Centre/1996/3

March 1997:

http://old.globalairphotos.com/galle...+Centre/1997/7

May 1997:
Sears & garage at the south end of the mall looks pretty new.

http://old.globalairphotos.com/galle...+Centre/1997/4

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2018/0...-retail-space/

Last edited by officedweller; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 4:24 PM

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cf-ri...velopment-plan

I am most interested in how they are going to build a 2 level underground garage on sand...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothediu View Post
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cf-ri...velopment-plan

I am most interested in how they are going to build a 2 level underground garage on sand...
A bloody big caisson and full-time sumps?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:47 PM

There's a number of projects in Richmond I've seen with underground parking

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothediu View Post

I doubt that they will have any issues with it so long as they use modern technology and avoid medieval techniques, nevermind that plenty of other desert countries/states/towns/whatever build underground as well.

I hope that this project goes through however I just can't help but feel that we should at least be upgrading the Richmond parts of the Canada line to having two-tracks.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I hope that this project goes through however I just can't help but feel that we should at least be upgrading the Richmond parts of the Canada line to having two-tracks.
That's not really necessary until the Canada Line starts getting extensions. Then again, we might be ready for some by the time construction finishes.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:55 PM

About those "mobility centres:"

Quote:
One ‘regional-serving’ mobility hub is located on mall property close to the SkyTrain station (adjacent to the aforementioned pedestrian canopy), and a second ‘local-serving’ mobility hub is situated within the southwest quadrant of the mall – next to the new plaza.

Each mobility hub includes features such as bike share, car share, taxi and ride-hailing spaces, secure bike storage for the public and repair services, electric vehicle charging stations, and weather-protected public transit bus stops. All of this is conveniently located near shops, services, and public amenities.
So to my understanding, Hub 1 (by the ex-parkade) is getting a stop too? Would it be an interchange, or is TransLink/Richmond actually planning to waste time detouring bus routes into the mall?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:08 PM

A number of projects around the Richmond Oval have underground parking lots, such as Ora (T&T) and Cadence.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:57 PM

Having seen the liquefaction photos from last week's Indonesia earthquake, i wonder what would happen to a big structure like that?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-soil-10780684

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:31 PM

Maybe the underground parking also explains why the project looks so evenly distributed across the site (even load distribution?)
But there is also parking under the plaza, too.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Just wanted today that thank god Richmond is run by a smart government that packs housing around skytrain stations and doesn’t need 2-3 years to plan it out way to kick ass Richmond!

PS: if richmond was running things vancouver would not have a housing crisis!
This has been in planning for a lot longer than 2 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post
They Bay doesn't own the north mall but they do have development impediments in their lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
There's a number of projects in Richmond I've seen with underground parking
This will be the first with two levels. It will be built like a bathtub essentially with a large and sophisticated membrane protecting the lower levels. Going to be a lot of work during construction though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Maybe the underground parking also explains why the project looks so evenly distributed across the site (even load distribution?)
But there is also parking under the plaza, too.
project is evenly distributed simply to put the most amount of density possible. There is additional density on the site that just can't be fit in the project.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
This has been in planning for a lot longer than 2 years...

They Bay doesn't own the north mall but they do have development impediments in their lease.

This will be the first with two levels. It will be built like a bathtub essentially with a large and sophisticated membrane protecting the lower levels. Going to be a lot of work during construction though!

project is evenly distributed simply to put the most amount of density possible. There is additional density on the site that just can't be fit in the project.
I assume all the Strata's will have to work together to maintain the parkade and shared amenities. Using my years of experience in the industry I bet there are large groups of Chinese people screaming and fighting each other within the first 3 years

No money will be spent maintaining it over the next 10-20 years, it will fall apart, and the city will have to bailout the stratas or a judge will have to order the Owners to pay up.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:12 AM

A piece on it from Retail Insider

Cadillac Fairview Announces Partnership with SHAPE to Transform CF Richmond Centre:

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...vember-20-2018

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
That's not really necessary until the Canada Line starts getting extensions. Then again, we might be ready for some by the time construction finishes.
Metro doesn't like the idea of ever-increasing density in Richmond due to its location on a vulnerable floodplain.

But the Canada Line capacity upgrade is something that's probably necessary before Canada is extended anyways, what with the YVR expansions, and densification on Cambie and the existing Richmond Spur, it'll be maxing out by the late 2030s.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Metro doesn't like the idea of ever-increasing density in Richmond due to its location on a vulnerable floodplain.
I'm pretty sure that increasing density is what this proposal will do and the same with the Lansdowne mall proposal. I get that Richmond can't go tall no matter what but they get fairly dense for a suburban-city their size, honestly speaking. And if the city (and the Metro Vancouver mayoral council) was gravely concerned about Richmond's vulnerable position then they would not be approving these large-scale projects without upgrading safety measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
But the Canada Line capacity upgrade is something that's probably necessary before Canada is extended anyways, what with the YVR expansions, and densification on Cambie and the existing Richmond Spur, it'll be maxing out by the late 2030s.
Agreed. From my un-professional speculations, even double tracking the Richmond segments would do a lot for the Canada line as they could run more trains more frequently. Again, if someone knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I'm pretty sure that increasing density is what this proposal will do and the same with the Lansdowne mall proposal. I get that Richmond can't go tall no matter what but they get fairly dense for a suburban-city their size, honestly speaking. And if the city (and the Metro Vancouver mayoral council) was gravely concerned about Richmond's vulnerable position then they would not be approving these large-scale projects without upgrading safety measures.
I don't remember the exact place where I got that from, take it with a grain of salt.

Though it would make sense to avoid going skyscrapers in Richmond, considering that it's amongst the most vulnerable parts of Metro to earthquakes and flooding. The airport provides an upper barrier for development.

Also, there aren't any town centres in Steveston, but there's one in Ladner for some reason.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley