HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Really? I feel like I’ve seen a number of them especially in Toronto. Wasn’t one of the office proposals in Vancouver close to 20?
Could be - but I'd question whether Surrey can really be compared to Downtown Toronto. Office towers in Downtown Vancouver have higher density because the floorplates are generally bigger than most residential towers.

If you look at Burnaby, or tall condo projects in cities like Mississauga, unless you can find an example, I think they're almost all below 10 FSR. There's one tower on Kathleen Avenue that's just under 12 FSR, and if the 82 storey Pinnacle tower is actually delivered at that height it's 13 FSR.

I noted that there are a few example in Downtown Vancouver that get to, or exceed 20 FSR, and they generally come with a significant CAC offered. Even then, Burrard Place doesn't even make it to 20 FSR - it's about 18. Trump Tower on W Georgia is just 20 FSR. 1090 W Pender is 18 FSR. The Stack is 22 FSR.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Any examples you can share? There are a few examples in Downtown Vancouver that exceed 15 FSR (FAR), but they're rare (and they each usually provide tens of millions of dollars in offered benefits). I'm not aware of any others in Metro Vancouver; very few projects get to 10 FSR.
Pretty much every large tall tower in Seattle, Portland, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, every city in China, Melbourne, Sydney, etc. etc. are > 15 FAR.

Note my original post said there aren't legit downtowns that don't push 9 to 15 FAR. If you look at the above, they have MANY that are well beyond 15. But for Metro Vancouver, Downtown Vancouver is our only legit downtown and they have plenty of projects old and recent that are beyond 9 FAR at least.

Shangri-la tower is 13.5 FAR. Former Trump Tower across the street according to the planning report is 20.8 FSR according to the plans. Even if I pull in a random downtown Vancouver residential tower like 1318 Thurlow Street, that is FSR 8.94 so right on the cusp of 9. And that, in downtown Vancouver, is a short basic residential tower or basically infill.

Just click anything in downtown Vancouver basically in the last 10 years.

720 Beatty Street & 701 Expo Boulevard. 17 storey office tower with five-storey commercial building. 12.39 FSR.

Yet, in Surrey Central, they put in the plan for MAJOR developments, the biggest and best of the best, to top out at FSR 7.5. 7.5 FAR in Downtown Vancouver today doesn't even get you a 20 storey high rise. I stand by that for major core development areas in the plan in Surrey Central, it should be max 15 FSR, and then step down from there.

Don't make absolutely everything be an exception to the plan and force developers to go through variances all the time. I just think it causes the development process to drag out way long and it encourages developers to simply build cookie cutter boring short tower in the park projects. If they want to call it down town, make the plan allow for down town developments. We've seen some iconic towers proposed in Surrey in the last few years, but how many have actually come to fruition yet? GEC education is the closest and that has been watered down. I am not holding a lot of hope for some other developments until I see them actually break ground.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Could be - but I'd question whether Surrey can really be compared to Downtown Toronto. Office towers in Downtown Vancouver have higher density because the floorplates are generally bigger than most residential towers.

If you look at Burnaby, or tall condo projects in cities like Mississauga, unless you can find an example, I think they're almost all below 10 FSR. There's one tower on Kathleen Avenue that's just under 12 FSR, and if the 82 storey Pinnacle tower is actually delivered at that height it's 13 FSR.

I noted that there are a few example in Downtown Vancouver that get to, or exceed 20 FSR, and they generally come with a significant CAC offered. Even then, Burrard Place doesn't even make it to 20 FSR - it's about 18. Trump Tower on W Georgia is just 20 FSR. 1090 W Pender is 18 FSR. The Stack is 22 FSR.
Sorry getting off topic a bit too much here I guess, but last word I'll make before moving any other discussion to the general City Centre thread is, I originally said 9 to 15. 15 being the maximum. Surrey's current plan is MAXIMUM most iconic developments capped at 7.5 FAR on the plan and with the new plan they "have no intention of changing that."

That's my beef. Downtown Vancouver, regular projects are around 9 FAR routinely. Just click any of them. So if Surrey wants to say they are a legit downtown, they aren't showing it and putting their money where their mouth is. I don't care that there are projects in Surrey Central that are > 7.5 FAR, I just think they shouldn't be exceptions, they should be supported by the official plan without exception. No different that stupidly low speed limits then the Police just not enforcing them. Well says 50kph but everyone drives 80kph so whatever. If that's the case, make the damned speed limit 80kph and enforce it there.

Just tells me all the talk about wanting to build a legit and vibrant downtown is just politics.

Edit: Here moved to City Center general post so mods don't get annoyed with me. https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...71#post9265971

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dferch View Post

From the University District webcam today:

http://tld-alumni2.com/slideshow.htm

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 1:23 AM

Hmm. It's a little strange that the amenity building is separate from the towers themselves. Will all 3 be a part of the same strata?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 2:00 AM

Either that or there will be a cost sharing agreement between the separate stratas.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 12:20 AM

Looks like some site prep is going on now. Things are slowly moving forward, it would seem

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 10:05 PM

A couple of new renderings. Note this project is now called Parkway.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 10:55 PM

Seems like every second project in Surrey has "park" in the name.

That second rendering shows there isn't much breathing space for future projects on KGB.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Seems like every second project in Surrey has "park" in the name.

That second rendering shows there isn't much breathing space for future projects on KGB.
1. Parkway
2. Century City Holland Park
3. Park Boulevard
4. Park George
5. Park Avenue
6. Park Place
7. Park Central

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 12:57 AM

Great update with the new renderings. Looks the the 3 market towers (after the rental tower) will be built over separate phases of which the tallest tower will the last. Seems like they should do all 3 towers at once given the prevailing market conditions.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 1:49 AM

Is the first tower to be built the second tallest?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:43 AM

I believe they're starting on the 38-storey rental tower first, and have already started marketing the first condo tower (51-storeys) in the second picture - so both should be going up around the same time.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 10:10 AM

Thanks! Hope this project moves fast!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:26 PM

I like their Supreme/hipster marketing

https://parkway.blueskyproperties.ca/en/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I like their Supreme/hipster marketing

https://parkway.blueskyproperties.ca/en/
You forgot one:

Maybe the emo vibes in each individual is a good reflection of the how young people are feeling during the pandemic on top of the metro Vancouver housing crisis.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 1:10 AM

Aren't those just pics of the area neighbours?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 3:19 AM

Weird choice of marketing material, as those people look like gangbangers. Definitely not your nice and quiet neighbor type.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 3:23 AM

Nah, they look like narcissistic wannabe hipster gangsters that would crumble with the pain of a hangnail.

Also safe to assume they all have cringy tiktok accounts.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:22 AM

I don't know why is there a trend on using 'Park' in development projects in Whalley...

Park Boulevard, Park George, Park This, Park That. Like how many more are going to have 'Park' in their name?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley