HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 2:13 PM

8-8-23 "Favorite Diagrams" thread

I thought it would be fun to expand on CRKMRRMK's idea of having a “favorite drawings of the week” type discussion. Though I doubt I can do this very often, I figured why not give it a shot. First of all, I am in no way qualified to grade or judge anyone else’s work. This is purely for fun, so I am only going to point out why I liked the drawings I picked and not why I didn’t pick others.

There are too many good drawings to choose from, so I base my criteria on three very strict scientific principles:

1. Is it aesthetically pleasing?
2. Does it provide an accurate representation of the building?
3. Does it push the boundaries of technique to create something unique?

With that said, here are my favorite drawings of the week (in no particular order):

“The S Tower” by Rorfyin: I have been impressed with Rorfyin’s glasswork lately. I remember his original drawing of 6XG in the Austin, Texas diagrams which he has since replaced with an updated version, and the difference in quality is night and day. It’s obvious that Rorfyin has been focusing on his technique. One thing he does well is create realistic light and reflection on glass buildings. I like the detail he put into this tower with the reflection of the ground and sun in the glass without overpowering the details of the skyscraper itself.

“90 Isabella” by Koops65: I love that Koops took the time to include the little houses in front of the tower as opposed to ignoring them. I can’t pretend to know the backstory of these houses, but I assume they are historic, and I like how their presence forced the skyscraper to change its shape to accommodate. The drawing itself does a good job of shadow and contrast in the lower buildings, and the lines on the main tower are crisp. It’s got Koops65’s signature window patterns so what more could you want?

“Pingtung Veterans General Hospital” by Hikari: One thing I really like about Hikari’s drawings is how much detail he/she squeezes into such a small space. For example, the Wanfo Buddhist Monastery is only 61.2 m tall, but has the details of about five larger skyscrapers packed inside. What I like about this particular drawing is how the windows/fire-escapes kind of angle up to the little tower portion through the use of shadows. I know it’s not easy to create the illusion of an incline when dealing with pixels, so I thought that little fade was a nice touch. I also like the opaqueness of the grey glass and its contrast with the red brick (which also has tiny bits of texture).

“LS Cable & System Donghae Plant VCV Tower” by Etesia: I like the sleek simplicity of this one. It’s a good representation of the actual tower itself and doesn’t need to be any more than that. Etesia is one of the most talented artists on this site, so you know if she wanted to make this tower a shining, glowing beacon of art then she could, but then that wouldn’t be what this building is. I like the attention to shadow at the top of the tower and the tiny bits of reflection in the blue glass.

“Lotte Castle Peraz Sky” by Etesia: What stands out to me the most is the depth that the shadows create without relying on dark shadows. The drawing appears to use a variety of shades of grey/white/tan to provide the illusion of depth, and is probably the most realistic-looking tower (of the week) when zoomed out.

“Festival Phase 2 B” by Koops65: Another one where I like the color scheme and use of shadow. I had a hard time finding a render of this one, but I’ll say I like how the shadow is used to define the shape of the building as opposed to hard cutoffs (if that makes any sense). This is one where I actually like the dark shadow on the side because (unlike my drawings) the details are not lost in the shadow when you zoom out. I like how even at a distance you can see the little balconies in the dark.

“Huiquan Dynasty Hotel” by Modao Zushi: Judging from Modao’s drawing output, I can only assume he/she is on a mission to ensure every building on the planet has a diagram on this website. Between Modao and Koops65, I can’t believe there are any buildings remaining. While most of his/her drawings are kept minimalistic to achieve said mission, it’s apparent that Modao has talent. In his/her most recent output (let’s say his last ~150 drawings) you can see the quality increase. In this drawing, I once again like the little bits of shading in the windows and how the shape of the windows is used to create the illusion of wrapping around the back of the building.

“Shinsegae Department Store Centum City” by Etesia: This one speaks for itself. Very nicely done (and under 100 m!), with good color scheme, shadows, textures, and attention to detail all over the place. Up close you can see the tiny bits of texture throughout the building – A checkered/diamond pattern on the tan brick, square blocks on the reddish brick, and a sort of bubbly, curved texture on the glass portion to the left-side of the building. I love the curved glass and how you can slightly see through it. Same for the other glass sections. Lastly, I really enjoy the use of shadows and how they sit against other parts of the building in this one.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 4:15 PM

Thanks

Delete

Last edited by CRKMRRMK; Nov 2, 2023 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 5:49 AM
Illstrator / Editor

The LS Cable & System Donghae Plant VCV Tower is very simple, but it was actually fun to draw.
The bottom part of the factory is actually very large, but I cut it into small pieces because I don't need to draw it all.

The Lotte Castle Peraz Sky was combined because three buildings were connected.
This kind of apartment is simple to draw, but it's pretty boring.

The Shinsegae Department Store Centum City, to be honest.. It's a work that I stopped while trying to draw a month ago. It was very annoying to draw, and energy was consumed.
In the end, a month later, I finished this painting roughly because I was lazy.

Honestly, I think.. I want to draw foreign buildings (country with few diagrams) other than Korea, but I can't leave easily because there are so many undrawing skyscrapers in Korea.

If my friend Changmo (active user of Korean buildings) gives strength to Korean buildings, I will be able to draw foreign buildings again.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams