HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
Found some cool pictures of Sacramento from years past from the California Archives.

4th and Capitol:

thanks for finding these and posting them - I love old pictures like this. Especially this one i quoted above. I work in the Wells Fargo building so it's cool to see what it used to be like. The only thing that didn't change is that tree on the corner - left side of picture. It's now gigantic and leaning towards the street enough to make me uncomfortable parking next to it. Thumbs up!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 4:00 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
What's eerie about the Japantown photos is that all the stores are vacant with "For Rent" and "Clearance Sale" signs on them.

The first Japantown photo shows the kind of Sacramento urbanity that was pretty much destroyed by redevelopment: not the 8-story Paris photos shown a while back (Sacramento's population and land prices didn't make such things necessary) but a good example of ground-floor retail with residential above. Still plenty of examples of such housing in San Francisco but it's a rarity here except on stretches of J Street and 12th Street. Notice the wide variety of goods and services available within that one block: a market, a hotel (probably residential, considering its location,) two appliance shops, two drugstores, a hardware store, and so on.

I didn't use these photos, but I have a few like them of the old Japantown, including the Buddhist church, the Japanese hospital, a fish market and a few others.
wburg:
You need to get over the whole "redevelopment nightmare"; it happened; its gone. We can move forward with smart planning. Many German cities were obliterated in WWII, but were rebuilt to the same high density standards. Just send our leaders and politicians to SF for an education in what a city should look like in terms of ground-floor retail with residential above. Sacramento is capable of that type of density. Regarding Paris, you're just jealous.

Having said that, good historians that don’t distort the truth are hard to find, so thanks for your efforts in documenting and preserving Sacramento's past.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:07 PM
Hindrance to Development

BrianSac: Part of "getting over" redevelopment is sharing what happened. It also helps pass along the idea that urban neighborhoods are places where families and communities lived in the past, and we can do so again. The purpose of urban redevelopment in mid-century was the polar opposite to post-WWII European development: instead of replacing destroyed neighborhoods with dense housing, they destroyed existing neighborhood and replaced them with business and government buildings, and displaced the occupants with little regard for where they would end up. Part of the process of urban revitalization is being aware of that mistake, and not repeating it. That whole "those who don't study history" type thing...

One thing I'm pretty happy about, as a historian, is that there has been a real surge of interest recently in local history, which is normally a sign of a tipping point in a city's awareness of itself. For a long time, people assumed that nothing of significance happened here since the Gold Rush or the completion of the Central Pacific, if they even knew about that: recent media like Ken Burns' "The War," KVIE's "Viewfinder" series, and, I'd immodestly suggest, the Arcadia books, have helped educate people that we do live in a historically significant place--and thus, a COOL place, a place where people want to live. It helps affirm my own long-held feelings about this city...and I suppose it doesn't hurt my book's sales, either.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 9:26 PM

Yes, the displacement of Japanese-Americans to internment camps went way beyond a "typical" redevelopment and is an ugly (and important) part of Sacramento and California history. Coincidentally, we (well, MoBS with the Del Paso Blvd Partnership) ran a documentary by local filmmaker Satsuki Ina (who was born in the Tule Lake camp) on this subject last month, From a Silk Cocoon with guest speakers who went through it. One of them, Kiyo Sato (who was a student at Sacramento Junior College when WWII broke out) just wrote a book about her experiences, Dandelion Through the Crack.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 4:29 PM
Hindrance to Development

The redevelopment of the West End, Japantown, etcetera, occurred a decade or so after the Japanese Americans returned to Sacramento. The Japanese were displaced for a second time, as well as the African-American and Latino neighborhoods in redevelopment's path.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 7:43 PM

Sorry- I wasn't clear in the other message. Yeah- from everything I read, the buildings were still up for several years, and there was an attempt to restore Japantown when people were let out of the camps (and people did come back, though not nearly to the population levels of pre-war), but it was no longer the strong community it was before the initial relocation to internment camps. wburg, please fee free to correct any inaccuracies in the above.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 8:46 PM
Hindrance to Development

You have it right: during the internment, a lot of the properties were sold or rented to others. African Americans who came to Sacramento during the war to work, and were prevented from living many places by racial exclusion laws, were among the folks who moved into the Japanese neighborhood. So, while the neighborhood was populated by even more people, it wasn't exclusively Japanese.

There's a very good book about Sacramento's Japanese community by Wayne Maeda: "Changing dreams and treasured memories: A story of Japanese Americans in the Sacramento Region." I used it for reference, in addition to information from Sacramento State's collection and the Sacramento Buddhist Church.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 5:39 PM
my posse's on broadway

Hahahahahaha

Neighbor gives loud bar an earful
By Lisa Heyamoto - Bee Columnist
Last Updated 12:38 am PDT Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

The party was starting to get going when the irritated neighbor planted
herself in front of Marcus Marquez. He needed to turn the music down,
she informed him. For crying out loud, she was trying to get some sleep.
That much was obvious to those who saw her, in a blue bathrobe and
slippers, telling Marquez what was what.

The only snag? She was doing it at 9:30 p.m. On a Saturday night.

To the owner of L Wine Lounge & Urban Kitchen, in the middle of a throng
of revelers dressed to the nines at the midtown bar for Second Saturday.
Never mind that the noise level was legal and that a clause in her lease
says that, because she signed up for mixed-use living, she must save her
complaints until midnight. Marquez knew this was an argument he was not
going to win.

"We always thought of ourselves as an extended living room," Marquez
said, having smiled his way through the elegantly-delivered tirade. "But she
might have taken it too far."

Let's just hope he never runs out of sugar.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 7:17 PM

That's funny. What silly person. Although I wouldn't want my pool and balcony to be so public. It doesn't help that the patio is so bare. It would help a lot (visually if not audibly) if they added a lot more plantings.

Once at an event a bunch of us remarked how the L Bar blew it by focusing on the back patio and not having sidewalk dining along L street. The street facade is nice but the interior is like stock Berlin'r government housing. The bottom line: the lady is nuts.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 8:06 PM
Hindrance to Development

Doesn't sound so different from what happened in San Francisco when lofts started going into the SoMa clubs area, or the response of the new residents at 21st and L to the existence of The Distillery: they move downtown into a neighborhood with lots of nightclubs, and then complain about the noise.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 10:19 PM

Well my friend said that he thinks it's the same woman who's been calling the fire department out for really dumb reasons. Humm.. whatda bet she's one of those who live in the forced "affordable" units? Anyway the article implied but didn't state the obvious- namely that she's a nut job.

Last edited by ozone; Oct 16, 2007 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 11:18 AM
Kodachrome

For those of you with a lot of time on your hands to kill.

City Assault http://www.cityassault.com/CITY%20ASSAULT.html
Next Scheduled City Assault:
Sacramento, CA
November 17th 2007

Q: What is the gist of the game?

A: Assassinate (using water guns, water balloons, super soaker, etc.) your target any way you can...do not forget however that you are a stealth assassin...not a barbarian! Soaking a large crowd "in hopes" to get your target is not welcome! You must accurately shoot to kill your target only!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 2:33 PM

What about your would be assassin...can you take them out too? or just your target?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:12 AM

Not sure if anyone noticed....but, Sacramento has been updated on Google Earth. I was poking around and noticed some things. First, I noticed some great colors that seemed to be faded and less 3-dimensional before. Then, I noticed Capital Village under construction. Then, I went straight downtown and realized that they had the remains of 301 CM, 621 CM topped out, and 500 CM u/c. So, yeah...I'm a BIG dork and know my city well. It might not be exciting to some. But, it is to me and I thought it'd be exciting to you all, too!!!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 1:50 PM

I was reading sacbee.com Business section today and came upon a fun tidbit. The USAA Real Estate Company (the parent company, USAA, happens to be my employer...the best employer in the world!) is the top bidder for Renaissance Tower (also known, according to the Bee and others, as the Darth Vader Building). Perhaps, but not likely, my husband and I are in for a move in the coming years to a downtown office. Anyway, I thought I'd be a proud employee and share the news with you all!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:47 PM
Kodachrome

^ I would think it's more likely that USAA Real Estate Company would buy the
Renaissance Tower as an investment rather than to move it's operations into the tower.
The tower is around 90% full with tenants and unless USAA plans to open up a
small satellite branch in the tower, I don't see them kicking out several of
the large state agencies that fill the tower right now.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 11:50 PM
Kodachrome

I thought this was a pretty cool new magazine... I guess there's not enough room yet for both Comstock and Prosper to turn a profit.

Prosper to halt magazine publication
By Adam Weintraub and Melanie Turner of The Sacramento Business Journal

Friday, November 2, 2007

Prosper magazine, launched in 2004, will halt publication of a printed edition, but the Prosper Media Group business will continue in some form online, company executives said.

The December issue will be the last. There was no answer at the Prosper office to a phone call Friday afternoon, and the magazine Web site still invited readers to subscribe to 12 issues for $12.

"The economic model that we had running here with Prosper, both Prosper Media and the print publication, just wasn't working," said majority owner Mike Teel in a videotaped statement dated Nov. 1 and posted on the prospermag.com Web site. "And what we needed to do was eliminate the pressure of the ongoing business to give us the time and platform to rethink the model. ... We're laying off all employees. We've given them a great severance package."

The company did not disclose how many employees were laid off or the specifics of the severance package.

Teel said Sacramento-based Prosper Media would "meet all of our obligations as a business" and is current on most payments. "We want to bring an end to this business and then go on in a virtual realm." The Prosper brand will continue, Teel said, on an Internet platform. Executives now are working through two possible business models, he said, and will make an announcement on the future of the business once they've worked through both strategies.

Teel, an heir of the family that built Raley's Inc. of West Sacramento, and Sacramento River Cats owner Warren Smith are major financial backers of Prosper.

The move comes less than a year after the appointment late in 2006 of several executives at Prosper, including a new editor-in-chief. Two top managers had resigned last fall and the company announced plans to position itself as a national media player.

Reached at his home in Rescue, former editor-in-chief Jeffrey Young said the layoffs took place Thursday. Prosper employed about a dozen people, including seven full-time editorial employees, said Young, a former Forbes magazine editor hired in December to head Prosper's editorial staff.

The December issue has gone to press and is expected to be Prosper's last. But Young said the magazine's fate is uncertain, and the print edition could make a comeback as early as next spring. "There's a possibility we may resurrect it and move the magazine to the Bay Area," where there are more readers and advertising dollars, he said.

"One of the real problems with the Sacramento marketplace is that it's too small to attract first-tier national advertisers," Young said. "You're stuck in a small market with an inability to get access to the media buyer decision-makers."

He said revenue was growing at Prosper, but the magazine was not generating enough return on equity. The problem, he said, is the small pool of business-publication advertisers. Prosper has a circulation of 30,000 per issue.

Scott Doniger, vice president of marketing and circulation, confirmed that Prosper is "reviewing opportunities that would make sense in the print world," but he declined to offer specifics. He said prospermag.com would continue in some form. "We want to try to stay a step ahead of where the market is moving, particularly the market for business news and for businesses that are looking to promote themselves," Doniger said.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:01 PM

Not to open a can or anything...but, that homeless camp on N B St looks like Rwanda or something. It's shameful. I'm no expert on the homeless. But, it seems to me that it's time to reopen the institutions. It's very sad.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:47 PM
my posse's on broadway

I thought they were just people waiting for the Bass Pro Shop to open...

sorry.

Actually the City just ordered them to leave. Here's the article...

City orders homeless to abandon tent city
By Jocelyn Wiener - jwiener@sacbee.com
Last Updated 11:47 pm PST Saturday, November 3, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

Irunmole Ibabatunde, 80, holds up a letter ordering homeless people to vacate Union Pacific railroad property near 7th and B streets in Sacramento. Advocates for the homeless say the ban on illegal camping is unfair, since affordable housing and homeless shelter space are in short supply. Paul Kitagaki Jr. / pkitagaki@sacbee.com

Residents of an informal tent city that has cropped up on a vacant field along North B Street in recent months are packing up their campsites this weekend, saying city and railroad police have threatened them with citation and loss of their belongings if they do not leave by early Monday morning. About 60 tents remained in the dusty Union Pacific lot Saturday morning; homeless campers said some of their neighbors already had moved on in search of new sites.

Advocates for the homeless – and the homeless themselves – say enforcement of the city's illegal-camping ordinance is unfair in the face of an affordable housing shortage and inadequate shelters.

"All the shelters have wait lists," said 30-year-old Terri Jennings, who had come to the field with her husband a few days earlier after being run off another spot. "They're hurting more homeless than they're helping out here."

Mark Merin, an attorney who filed a lawsuit in August challenging the city's and county's illegal-camping laws, said Sacramento should consider the example of the city of Los Angeles. In April 2006, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that citing people for illegal camping when the city was so short on shelter beds amounted to "cruel and unusual punishment." Los Angeles currently has a moratorium on such citations. Merin said he asked Union Pacific to allow the homeless to stay – and to provide portable toilets.

"If there's no other place for our homeless guests to go, a tent city seems to be a temporary solution," said Sister Libby Fernandez, director of Loaves & Fishes, one of three organizational plaintiffs named in the lawsuit.

Matt Young, a Sacramento police spokesman, said he was unaware of the encampment – which is about a mile from the downtown courthouse. "The city Police Department is dedicated to working with the homeless to the best of our abilities," he said, adding that private property owners are well within their rights in asking people to leave. Several homeless people said Saturday that city police officers, in an effort to help, had moved them to the field after they were forced to vacate another spot along the railroad tracks.

Originally, they said, there were just a dozen or so campers, but over the months the numbers in the field have swelled. For the most part, said 41-year-old Will Williams, the site is self-regulating. If people want to vent anger by yelling or getting into fistfights, they may be allowed to do so. But if things get out of hand, others will intervene to calm things down.

"Everybody respects everybody else," he said.

While relatively quiet, the site has no toilets and little trash pickup. Most people say there has been at least one fire – some say it was intentionally set, others say it resulted from a poorly tended barbecue. Certain tents do a steady business in crack and methamphetamine sales. Many people complained that a few troubled people have ruined the situation for the rest of them.

"If somebody around here screws up, we all pay," Williams said.

The residents of the field are a motley crew – disabled veterans, addicts, parolees, people with mental health problems and those – like 30-year-old Andrena Gonzales – who are simply down on their luck. Gonzales said she lost her job at an AM-PM two years ago after missing a mandatory safety meeting. She's been on the streets for a year and seven months. Her belly is swollen – she and her boyfriend, Jeff Bachelor, are expecting a baby early next year. The couple still didn't know Saturday where they were going to camp next. Bachelor had already stashed two sleeping bags in a locker at Loaves & Fishes in case they lose the rest of their belongings.

Irunmole Ibabatunde, who said he was 80 years old, unfolded a wrinkled copy of a flier handed out by police last Wednesday, telling people to move on. He'd crumpled it in frustration. Five months ago, Ibabatunde had set up his tent alongside those of a few friends, mostly veterans from Vietnam and the first Iraqi war, waiting for pensions to come through. He said they'd been camping in the field with no real problems. Residents of each cluster of dusty tents kept to themselves. Then somebody came and cut down the trees along North B Street, exposing the encampment.

"Only thing I can do is what they tell me – find a spot," he said. "I don't want to get in no friction with the law."

Around him, his traveling companions were dusting off their sleeping bags, folding up comforters and preparing to move on to another field.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:19 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Well my friend said that he thinks it's the same woman who's been calling the fire department out for really dumb reasons. Humm.. whatda bet she's one of those who live in the forced "affordable" units? Anyway the article implied but didn't state the obvious- namely that she's a nut job.
While i support including an affordable housing component (albeit not as much as 20%) to projects which recieve city subsides (or redevelopment dollars), i agree 100% with what you just said. Unfortunately many people who are recieving subsidized housing (and that's really what it is), tend to be goofy at times.. If she doesn't like it they should help her find another place away from the hustle and bustle of midtown...

The purpose of these kinds of infill projects is first and formost to invigorate the area. If in the process they help those who are disadvantaged to integrate into the fabric of a changing central city; then great. But certainly no one goofball (whether in an affordable or market rate apartment) should be allowed to dictate the pace of that part of midtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area