HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
From the comments section just now:
----------------------------------------
Paul J Report Comment
February 23rd 2010, 2:41pm
One extreme to the other with Al Duerrnothing to Digger Dave! We need some balance which means the nut bar Alderman like Pinicott and Farrel need to get tossed but SO DO THE city big wigs that are trying to turn this prairie city into downtown London.

We want to drive, we want some green space not a rats nest of people downtown and the rest of us stuffed like sardines on a Tokyo style c-train becasue we would have to pay more than downtown Manhattan to park!!!!

Time city hall started to listen to the people not the fringe groups and lobby groups that have their own agendas separtate from the majority.

Is Paul trolling, or are there average Calgarians who believe this sort of shit? Like seriously? I'm no huge Bronco fan, but seriously..... Paul, come on, I think we all see the need for LRT. Imagine putting those tens of thousands back on the roads in cars and on some buses if you had no LRT, it would be MADNESS!

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Does Paul not realize that the city can't just keep expanding forever? he complains about being crammed into trains like sardines, but would sitting in traffic on Deerfoot for 4 hours a day be preferrable?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
1. The bolded part is contradictory. There's no problem with some at grade crossings in certain places and having complete grade separation on a project like SE LRT (or any other LRT line in Calgary) is extreme over building.

2. The stations will probably be quite "plain" compared to what we have seen in Calgary before, regardless of who is mayor. The stations will likely be more minamalist due to them being serviced be low-floor trains.
Some at grade crossings are acceptable as long as they don't cross major roads or cause traffic congestion. Efficient may not have been the best word, but McIvor seems in favour of having the train not create traffic problems.

Why are the SE trains going to be different than what we already have (low floor)?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:00 PM
Round Head

I could see Connely, Colley-Urquhart, McIver running on the 'right' and Ceci the lone more progressive candidate with a few outsiders.

Who knows though.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:08 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:23 PM

Rumour has it Ceci is seriously considering a run. Probably a decent choice...in the past I had him pegged as a leftie, but I think he's actually pretty middle-of-the-road.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how the race unfolds. This should increase voter turnout!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:33 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I could see Connely, Colley-Urquhart, McIver running on the 'right' and Ceci the lone more progressive candidate with a few outsiders.

Who knows though.
In order to further split the anti-Bronco votes, I hope a few other hard-line conservatives throw their hats in as well.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:34 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That's one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Does Paul not realize that the city can't just keep expanding forever? he complains about being crammed into trains like sardines, but would sitting in traffic on Deerfoot for 4 hours a day be preferrable?
Yeah I never understand the people who rant about restricted downtown parking and 'forcing us to take transit', yet seem to think that if 2-3 times as many cars are in the core then their commute will be heaven.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:56 PM

I don't really know enough about and of the councilors to really know which way to vote, I just know I like Druh and vehemently dislike McIvor.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 12:51 AM

Connelly and Ceci I can see running, in a way I can see why people think McIvor will but theres also the other side of things to look at which may be why he wouldn't: if he runs for mayor and loses, there is no real hardline fiscally conservative members left on council. Of course now that Bronconnier has made this decision we'll probably see the contenders start to announce themselves, this essentially was declaring the start of the campaign.

At least on the upside no one can claim that Bronconniers huge war chest from past campaigns will make it an unfair campaign.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 12:58 AM

Nevermind.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 2:17 AM

Quote:
The other thing that may pop up is the PGIB/Craig Chandler slate that was being talked about a little while back.
The bigot radio-evangelist who tried to have the elephant statue removed from in front of the elephant enclosure at the zoo because it was offensive to Christians?

McIver doesn't look so bad anymore...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 2:30 AM

Nevermind.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Among other things, like a Canadian Human Rights Commision inquest.

Until you realize that Chandler was McIver's campaign manager.

Maybe I should be more clear, I'm not saying Chandler will run, I don't know if he will or not. I'm saying there was talk that there would be a PGIB-backed slate, where by they would have candidates in most, if not all ridings with the goal of bringing partisanship into City Council.
Interesting. I didn't realize the McIver-Chandler link. I'm certainly not against council becoming a little more fiscally conservative, but I sincerely hope that most Calgarians would be scared off by ultra-right fringe groups.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 2:50 AM
Calgarian

I am not sure what type of mayor McIver would be. It is easy to sit in opposition and say no, it is much more difficult when you are getting pressure from constituents and have to say yes to something. He might only be Dr No while in opposition (witness his support of the SE LRT because it benefits his ward).

I'll miss Bronco though - he was a decent mayor.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:19 AM

Quote:
I'm just trying to think of the most acceptable alternative from the current stock of councillors that's electable. Joe Ceci comes to mind.
I hope you're not serious. Ceci's finished in local politics. The masses are sick and tired of "progressive" politicians and those that want to control every last aspect of our lives. If McIvor runs you need to look back at his voting record and you'll see he's been anything but "Dr. No." The next council might have to say no to a lot of things unless the Province starts providing more money (a possibility as it looks things will not be as bad as they thought in the budget) or they can convince voters to accept higher taxes (no chance in hell of that happening after what they've done the last few terms).

I'm waiting to see how many on the current council decide to pack it in as well. I'm sure a few of them are totally shocked and are probably sensing (finally) that this is the end of the road for them.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
From the comments section just now:
Paul J Report Comment
February 23rd 2010, 2:41pm
One extreme to the other with Al Duerrnothing to Digger Dave! We need some balance which means the nut bar Alderman like Pinicott and Farrel need to get tossed but SO DO THE city big wigs that are trying to turn this prairie city into downtown London.

We want to drive, we want some green space not a rats nest of people downtown and the rest of us stuffed like sardines on a Tokyo style c-train becasue we would have to pay more than downtown Manhattan to park!!!!

Time city hall started to listen to the people not the fringe groups and lobby groups that have their own agendas separtate from the majority.

Is Paul trolling, or are there average Calgarians who believe this sort of shit? Like seriously? I'm no huge Bronco fan, but seriously..... Paul, come on, I think we all see the need for LRT. Imagine putting those tens of thousands back on the roads in cars and on some buses if you had no LRT, it would be MADNESS!
I'd say those quotes are very representative of the majority. The vast majority of people drive and hate with a passion the anti-car mentality of our current administration and council, and the vast majority of people also prefer suburban living. The comment that council should stop catering to fringe groups is the most accurate of all. I'm sick and tired of these bike groups telling me how I should commute around the city. If they want to bike that's great for them. Use the path system and advocate for higher or no speed limits where the paths are either twinned or very wide. Druh's "concern" about conflict is nonsense. The signage clearly indicates which parts are for which people and if pedestrians can't figure that out it's time to start fining the hell out of them and taking their iPods and tossing them in the river.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Clearly Druh Farrell is the most strident urbanist on council. Ceci seems like a reasonable and pragmatic alderman to me.
Ceci showed his true colors with that crazy "take back the streets comment" and going to such extremes to control fire pits. I really hope the next council and mayor stop catering to the 0.5% of people who complain because that's what the numbers work out to on all of these issues. DCU is just as bad now with that unbelievably insance proposal to drop speed limits to 30 Km/hr.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
Farrell and Ceci are probably the two candidates that vote in favour of the most fiscally irresponsible items, Bronco saying "don't vote for Mr.No" is akin to saying spend spend spend. I don't mind higher density but it needs to be done reasonably, spend the money wisely - we learned its hard to come by and precious...look at how crippling the budget cuts have been
I'd throw Pincott and Lowe into the irresponsible column as well.

I find the timing of Bronco's announcement and the East Village folks asking for another $20 million interesting. Apparently now we're to the $250 million level in investment for the East Village with not much to show for it. The media might buy the line that this isn't costing taxpayers a penny but most citizens are a lot smarter than the media. That money has to be paid back with interest and if enough of a tax base isn't created in the area it only makes sense the rest of us will have to pay the bill.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Clearly Druh Farrell is the most strident urbanist on council. Ceci seems like a reasonable and pragmatic alderman to me.
I'd say it is definitely a contest between Farrell and Pincott when it comes to supporting urban issues. Ceci does seem like the typical Calgary mayor, on the left but only moderately. I don't know why people are throwing Farrell's name out there. I really don't think she is electable city wide so, unless she is tired of being an Alderman and no other progressives were willing to throw there hat in, what would be the point. It is kind of a shame that Bronconnier isn't running in 2010. Pincott isn't anywhere near close enough now but he seems to have managed to be one of the most progressive voices on city council without attracting the kind of vitriol that gets directed at Farrell. Another term as an Alderman and he might have a pretty decent shot.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Connelly and Ceci I can see running, in a way I can see why people think McIvor will but theres also the other side of things to look at which may be why he wouldn't: if he runs for mayor and loses, there is no real hardline fiscally conservative members left on council. Of course now that Bronconnier has made this decision we'll probably see the contenders start to announce themselves, this essentially was declaring the start of the campaign.

At least on the upside no one can claim that Bronconniers huge war chest from past campaigns will make it an unfair campaign.
It'll be interesting to see who Bronco donates that money to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy