HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 10:13 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Re: Old Calgary movie theatres

Hey everyone, I'm trying to put together a book proposal that looks at Movie Theatres in Alberta, and I was wondering if a few of you might be able to help me out. I'm looking for photos of some of Calgary's long-gone movie theatres but since I'm in Edmonton, and unable to make it to Calgary for a while, I was wondering if someone should shoot a few snaps for me...

I have the following addresses of the defunct theatres but have no clue what was built on the site after they closed. Could someone help fill in the blanks?

KINEMA 1804 14 St SW (operated from 1933-1955)
HYLAND 1229 9 Ave SE (aka Garry aka Italian Cinema) Obviously in Inglewood...
ISIS 1 St @ 11 Ave SW
EMPRESS/HITCHIN' POST 221A 8 Ave SE (1940-1959)
CAPITOL/PANTAGES 230 8 AVE SW
ALLEN/STRAND 119 8 AVE SE

Because most are along Stephen Ave and East I was wondering if some of these original buildings still exist or have they been torn down/encorporated into the redeveloped structures like Epcor Centre, Glenbow Museum, etc.

Thanks in advance!

PS, Obviously the Palace and Showcase Grand I'm aware of but new photos would still be greatly appreciated... Cheers, Ian W.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation