HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 4:06 AM

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I thought that all along these four towers were planned to be residential. Did I understand correctly that they're talking about offices now?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I thought that all along these four towers were planned to be residential. Did I understand correctly that they're talking about offices now?
If I read this correctly, they are still going forward with the two residential buildings, building a new office building on the 3rd block and keeping one of the original low-slung buildings for someone who wants to lease the whole thing.

Can't blame them for looking for the sure bet but they also seem to be all over the place.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
If I read this correctly, they are still going forward with the two residential buildings, building a new office building on the 3rd block and keeping one of the original low-slung buildings for someone who wants to lease the whole thing.
That's how I read it. Right now they have design approval to build for four residential buildings, as a phased development. It looks like the eastern two buildings are less likely to be built as approved.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 9:07 PM

It's Oregon Square, Mk III. GBD have requested Design Advice and scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss changes to Oregon Square:

Quote:
Changes are being proposed to LU 16-195933. Block 103 (SE) within Phase 2 is being proposed to change from a multi-story residential building to a mixed-use speculative commercial office building. The building along with the approved design of block 102 (NE) along with the approved buildings in Phase 1 will surround a publicly accessed pedestrian-only plaza. Two levels of below grade parking are proposed beneath 103 with the opportunity to connect 90 (SW) and 91 (NW). Changes to blocks 90 and 91 will add one level of below grade parking.
FWIW, the recently re-designed GBD website shows Blocks 90 & 91 (Phase I) as "in process" for 2020 completion. The previous designs for blocks 102 and 103 are listed as "unbuilt".

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It's Oregon Square, Mk III. GBD have requested Design Advice and scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss changes to Oregon Square:

FWIW, the recently re-designed GBD website shows Blocks 90 & 91 (Phase I) as "in process" for 2020 completion. The previous designs for blocks 102 and 103 are listed as "unbuilt".
Does this mean they will lower the amount of floors to keep the 340' height - or are they raising it?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:06 PM

On Design Commission agenda July 13th:

Quote:
EA 17-178014 DA – Oregon Square Phase 2 Alternative

Design Advice Request (DAR) for an alternative proposal for the Phase 2 portion of the Oregon Square project previously approved in 2016. The proposal retains the 11-story residential building at the northeast block (Block 102) and includes a new 16-story, 250’ tall office tower as an alternative to the 325’ tall residential tower at the southeast corner of the block (Block 103). Other alternatives include changes to the garden area facing the plaza and potential shifts in garage access points. No modifications or Adjustments to regulations have been identified.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Of course they lower it

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Of course they lower it
Office maximum height is 250 feet, where with residential you can bonus up another 75 feet. Perhaps there is a combination option that will get more height??

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:33 PM

Why would they scrap the tallest of the residential towers when Portland is in dire need of more housing?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malix View Post
Office maximum height is 250 feet, where with residential you can bonus up another 75 feet. Perhaps there is a combination option that will get more height??
Wasn't the zoning established by the city? Will future demand for density require looking at re-zoning? Personally, I think unlimited height should be examined....especially for downtown and the Lloyd district...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:41 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Why would they scrap the tallest of the residential towers when Portland is in dire need of more housing?
Could be that the higher end of the rental market is oversaturated. What the city has a shortage of is lower end rentals... Which you are not going to see coming in the form of shiney sexy towers.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I have no idea

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
My guess, which is only a guess, is that they're in the running to land the new NW Natural headquarters and need to have a lot ready for an office tower. Since phase I is slowly moving ahead that would only leave blocks 102 and 103 as possibilities. Perhaps client preference?

It could be a million reasons though...

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i..._campaign.html

Quote:
The existing building at 220 NW 2nd Avenue houses some 600 employees, and the lease expires at the end of 2020. Northwest Natural recently settled on two finalists, neither of which include its current location.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 10:02 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
My guess, which is only a guess, is that they're in the running to land the new NW Natural headquarters and need to have a lot ready for an office tower. Since phase I is slowly moving ahead that would only leave blocks 102 and 103 as possibilities. Perhaps client preference?

It could be a million reasons though...

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i..._campaign.html
A new office tower for Portland would definitely be cool to see.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 2:45 PM

Glad to see more office going into the Lloyd. It's such an easy commute for folks living in NE.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
A new office tower for Portland would definitely be cool to see.
250' is hardly a tower, just another stumpy PDX special. Won't stand out much even in Lloyd Center. The best design always seems to get washed away just like Morrison Tower.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
250' is hardly a tower, just another stumpy PDX special. Won't stand out much even in Lloyd Center. The best design always seems to get washed away just like Morrison Tower.
Tell me about it

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Tell me about it
Why do people take this stuff personally? Do you think there's a conspiracy in government to deprive you of super-talls? Or that there's a secret cabal of NIMBYs frustrating you just because they can?

Why not accept that Portland is not the biggest or most dynamic city in the world? I'd much rather see good architecture with human-scaled street presence than some tower that looks like it belongs in Houston. Real-estate developers are not in the business of catering to the priapic fantasies of skyscraper fetishists.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malix View Post
I could be misreading the code, but I believe only 30' of the 75' maximum bonus requires housing (section 33.510.210.E). Through section 33.510.210.D up to 45' of additional height is available, assuming the project earns 3:1 additional FAR. It could easily get that just by providing a bicycle locker room.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 9:58 PM

As an aside, having an office component to Oregon Square could be great. There are thousands of new residential units planned or recently completed in the Lloyd District, which is going to do wonders for the neighborhood. Adding more office workers will do great things to further activate the area by day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland