HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Now that we got the ward boundary settled, can we start selecting names for each ward instead of just numbering each war, so uncreative.

Under the new ward boundary looks like I went from being in Ward 8 to now being part of Ward 14. Yet Ward 9 is way over on the other end as Stoney Creek Mountain.
The Wards don't have names because they are boundaries that contain various neighbourhoods. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have multiple neighbourhoods within a larger ward neighbourhood that can then be changed like this.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:24 AM
It's Hammer Time

If Toronto can have ward names for all 44 wards, we can do it with 15 wards.

Ex. Ward 14 - West Mount, Ward 5 - East Hamilton, Ward 10 - Stoney Creek, Ward 9 - Stoney Creek Mountain, Ward 3 - Central Hamilton, Ward 15 - Waterdown, Ward 6 - East Mount, and so on and so on....

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:36 AM

'Angry' Flamborough residents considering legal action
(Ancaster News, Kevin Werner, Jan 22 2018)

Decisions by the Ontario Municipal Board and Hamilton councillors have prompted a group of Flamborough residents to think about de-amalgamating from the city again.

Roman Sarachman, the chair of the de-amalgamation group Free Flamborough, said a number of residents are talking about legal action, de-amalgamation, and creating petitions against Hamilton to be presented to the Ontario government after the Ontario Municipal Board eliminated Ward 14, one of two Flamborough representatives from around Hamilton’s council.

They were also upset that Hamilton politicians in an 8-7 vote decided not to appeal the board’s ruling....

Sarachman, who met with a number of residents Jan. 22, confirmed they have been seeking legal advice to appeal the board’s decision. They are also considering other options such as suing the city and Eisenberger, collecting a petition and demanding the province allow Flamborough to de-amalgamate.

He said he has talked to Flamborough’s councillors Judi Partridge and Pasuta, about residents’ options. He said a decision, including possibly holding a town hall meeting, on which direction to go will be made “very soon,” possibly within a month.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:30 PM

So, I can kinda see why they would sue the City... but suing the Mayor makes zero sense to me. He's a single vote on council, and he voted in favour of keeping the Flamborough wards.

Anyway, we haven't had a two (consecutive) term mayor since amalgamation, so we'll probably be rid of Fred come October.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:30 PM

Jesus christ. Give it up. Amalgamation happened almost 20 years ago. If you want to place blame, blame your flamborough cllrs who voted down the 16 ward option in favor of the status quo which didnt fairly represent the population. The 16 ward option wouldve kept the flamborough ward but cllrs didnt want any change to an outdated ward boundry map.

Also i dont see what grounds they are suing the city. The omb made the decision. Cllrs felt it was in the best interest of the city as a whole to not appeal as they have already wasted hundreds of thousands on this debacle. If they did appeal could the rest of the city sue council for not fairly representing all other 14 wards? At what point does it end?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:15 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I don;t mind the numbering names. I have a friend from Norway who grew up in 'Building 13'. sounds cool.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:52 AM
Ham-burgher

"Sarachman said Eisenberger campaigned on supporting the current ward boundary structure."

Anyone recall this? I don't.

"Sarachman said they will attempt in the new council term this fall to eliminate area rating for transit, which will, increase Flamborough and Glanbrook residents’ taxes by 10 per cent."

Yes this is possible (and overdue IMO) but isn't there still a distinction between urban services like transit being included in the property tax bill for residents living in the urban area, whereas rural residents won't pay for them? The 10% increase seems like pure scare-mongering.

Personally, I don't mind if this makes it to court. Any reasonable judge should see right through the self-serving arguments and hyperbole. Chances are it won't happen in time for the next election though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy