HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2005, 11:28 PM
Me?!?

Adult businesses limited

L. Paxton amendment exempts existing stores, club

Thursday, February 10, 2005
From staff reports

Sex now has some restraints in Lower Paxton Twp.

Township supervisors voted Tuesday night to impose restrictions on businesses it classifies as "adult uses" -- including massage parlors, adult movie theaters and stores that sell sex paraphernalia and videos.

The "adult use" amendment won't affect existing businesses such as Excitement Video, Adult World and the Oasis Gentlemen's Club, all of which are along Jonestown Road near the Interstate 81 interchange.

Instead, the regulations bar new adult-oriented businesses from being placed within 500 feet of a residential area and or within 1,000 feet of another adult business, a school, church, library, park or day care.

The amendment places restrictions on signs, requires at least an acre per business, and bans "for public health reasons, private or semi-private viewing booths."

The amendment is one of several the township hopes to adopt before July, when it plans to update its entire zoning ordinance.

In the next few months, officials, acting on recommendations from its consulting firm, plan to adopt stricter environmental standards to regulate development near wetlands, steams and steep slopes, township manager George Wolfe said.

Township officials also want to place greater emphasis on encouraging open space preservation in new developments and in protecting historic areas such as the village of Linglestown.

Amendments, including the one adopted Tuesday, become effective on approval and will be included in the overall zoning ordinance when it is updated.

"As we review the ordinance, these are issues that are seen as priorities," said Wolfe, who added that township officials have not received any complaints recently about the existing adult businesses.

"We realized that our ordinance could be more restrictive with regard to adult uses, and we though that would be the easiest one to start with," Wolfe sai

Old Posted Feb 17, 2005, 3:05 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Hmmmm, been a bit slow lately......some major events going on behind the scenes.....

1)Tax Relief/Rebate....hot topic in the area, most local communities are using it, some for more services, some for tax relief. It looks like there is a backlash coming however.....

2)Army War College.....the Pentagon is looking for bases to close, and that location is'nt looking too busy. Rendell has pledged to hold all of the bases, but it may not possible.

3)New turnpike bridge......for anyone who drives on 230 in Steelton, there is a new construction site next to the turnpike overpass. That is where they are building the new $150 million 6-lane bridge to replace the old 4-lane bridge.

4)Public transit.......sure to be discussed between now and july......Capital Area Transit/Red Rose(Lancaster)/COLT(Lebanon)/Rabbit(York)....etc. are thinking about fare hikes.

Any comments?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2005, 3:10 AM

Hmmmmm, forgot no.5....

5)Ft. Indiantown Gap (I did'nt name the town, please don't flame me over it) wants more land to be able to practice more on it's property (those pesky tanks and cannons need lots of buffer space), but a proposed land swap with Harrisburg City and the State Game Commision just fell apart. "The Gap" is a very important regional employer, and is currently the 2nd busiest state national guard training site in the COUNTRY. While they can still train on most equipment, helicopters, and such, they need to go to upstate New York to train with the tanks, which is expensive.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2005, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
the more interesting I think this election will be. I could see people crawling out of the woodwork to vote against Reed. Think about it: he really hasn't ran against anyone worth while in quite some time. But now...
It looks like many of PA’s big cities might have big political shakeups soon. Street’s ongoing investigations in Phila, Murphy’s big problems in Pittsburgh and maybe its just time for Reed to move in Hbg. I do think Reed has done a good job; however, it seems like some of his ideas became over reaching in the end. Hmmm… who knows what the Hbg voters will do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
Not a bad idea really when you think about it. The Civil War Museum is a great place, but let's be honest here: it is now a big flop. Attendence is WAY down and there have been layoffs for years now. Hmm...could this have anything to do with the fact that A) the marketing and mgmt. was/is terrible and B) HARRISBURG ISN'T GETTYSBURG?
I agree, this museum should have been in Gettysburg to begin with. The Wild West museum was an idea that was way out there. I think many cities have gone museum/cultural center crazy with little to show for them. There is too much vying for tourist attention and too little money to spend on these things. A museum should have a large possible audience and should be located where it makes sense --- don’t place the “National Museum of Artic Exploration and Eskimo Heritage Center” in Miami, FL (i.e. Wild West museum in Hbg).

I don’t know about moving the city government outside of downtown (to the museum). I guess Hbg wouldn’t suffer any loss from moving the employees outside the CBD as private companies would surely be willing to move in. Penn National Insurance would probably be interested in take over the city’s building next to them as they already own the air rights over the structure. (The original idea was to build a skywalk over the city building connection PNI’s parking garage to their office building, but it never happened.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
Public transit.......sure to be discussed between now and july......Capital Area Transit....etc. are thinking about fare hikes.
It is the same problem with transit for the whole state. The state really does need to fix this problem. I believe that mass transit should get equal funding to the other modes of transportation (roads, airports, etc); however, the transit agencies (especially in Pgh) need to work on bringing down the cost --- especially in payment to drivers etc. The state can’t let public transportation go down the tubes, especially in the states larger cities.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2005, 11:24 PM
Me?!?

/\
Agreed.

Hey, how about all the homicides in HBG these days guys? 3 already in under a week and DOZENS of shootings. '05 has been a violent, violent year thus far, and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. :tdown:

Now on to a somewhat lighter note (and I said "somewhat" because Cumberland Co. is still not 100% sold on the rail idea....morons).

Train station proposals to be debated in public

Thursday, February 17, 2005

From staff reports

Workshops to discuss how to develop or redevelop the land around three proposed West Shore train stations begin this week.

The sessions, hosted by Gannett Fleming, will be held today in the community room at the Lemoyne borough building at 655 Market St. and Wednesday at the Hampden Twp. Facilities Building off Sporting Hill Road.

Sessions are scheduled from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 6 to 8 p.m.

The meetings are part of the preliminary engineering phase of the $87.6 million project to revive regional rail service on a section of CorridorOne between Lancaster and Hampden Twp. CorridorOne is the 54-mile rail line between Lancaster and Carlisle.

Stations are proposed near the West Shore Plaza in Lemoyne, the former Ames Plaza and on an undeveloped tract between Trindle and Simpson Ferry roads in Hampden Twp.

"We're hoping to generate some ideas for what would be acceptable and perhaps desirable as far as transit-oriented development," said Michelle Brummer of Gannett Fleming.

Anyone interested in attending may call Brummer at 763-7212, extension 2177.

Preliminary engineering for the project is expected to be complete by late summer or early fall. Capital Area Transit expects to have trains running between Lancaster and Harrisburg late in 2007. Service would extend west to Hampden Twp. in early 2009, and to Carlisle in 2011.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2005, 10:14 PM
Me?!?

I know some people laugh, but to go from having next to nothing around here and big retailers laughing at you to, all of a sudden, big names coming into the area in the last few years, it's a big deal.

Area nets its first Banana Republic

Upscale clothier will join The Shoppes in Susquehanna Twp.

Friday, February 18, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

The Shoppes at Susquehanna Marketplace has bagged a national retailer once identified with safari-style clothing and now associated with fashionable professionals hunting for the "casual luxury" look.

An 8,500-square-foot Banana Republic store -- the area's first -- will open in late summer at the upscale shopping center off Interstate 81 and Progress Avenue in Susquehanna Twp., according to Ray Brunt, leasing agent for Stanbery Development, the center's builder.

Banana Republic sells clothing for men and women, seasonal accessories, shoes, personal-care products and gifts for the home.

The nearest store is in Lancaster.

Dave La Torre, president of Harrisburg Young Professionals, called Banana Republic "one of the premier clothiers for young professionals in their 20s and 30s." He likened it to an "upscale Gap."

The store has appeal to other age groups, as well.

La Torre's colleague at William J. Green & Associates in Harrisburg, Patricia Wood, said she also likes to shop at Banana Republic when she visits New York.

She describes herself as old enough to "qualify for a senior citizen movie pass."

"I love it. It's classic styling. ... I think it's very good value for the money," she said. "In New York, you see all ages [shopping there] because it's classic."

La Torre, who shops at Banana Republic when he visits Philadelphia, sees the store's entrance into this market as significant.

"It really shows people are starting to notice central Pennsylvania. Clearly, our profile is reaching new levels. A decade ago, Harrisburg wouldn't have been on Banana Republic's screen," he said.

Banana Republic started in 1978 with two stores and a catalog and has grown to more than 400 stores in the United States and Canada.

It is a brand under Gap Inc., which also operates Gap and Old Navy stores.

Gap Inc. reported $4 billion in net sales for the third quarter of last year and $15.9 billion in revenue for fiscal 2003.

Also coming to the Shoppes at Susquehanna will be a 6,000-square-foot New York and Company store, scheduled to open this spring, and a Macaroni Grill restaurant, scheduled to open in mid-April, Brunt said.

New York and Company is an "upper moderate women's apparel chain," with a store already in Harrisburg Mall in Swatara Twp., he said.

Both Banana Republic and New York and Company signed long-term leases, bringing the 26-store shopping center's occupancy rate to about 80 percent, Brunt said.

Five smaller storefronts, each with 2,000- to 4,000-square-feet, remain to be filled.

Negotiations are under way with possible tenants for some of those spaces, he said.

Brunt said national retailers in the Shoppes at Susquehanna reported sales figures for November and December that "far exceeded their wildest expectations. They had a great season."

Tenants in the shopping center, which opened last fall, include Ann Taylor Loft, Chico's, Coldwater Creek, Jos. A. Bank, Bombay, Williams-Sonoma, Plum Bottom, J. Jill and Talbots.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2005, 10:18 PM
Me?!?

HUGE news!!! :carrot: And it's funny how they mention the other project, which I *thought* was cancelled not too long ago. Maybe it is back on? Maybe something similar is taking its place? I will see what I can find out and let you guys know...

Trading spaces?

Front Street manors could give way to condos

BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

A noted interior designer has plans to change the look of Harrisburg's North Front Street by constructing a sprawling, $30 million luxury condominium building.

The 32 units would feature terraces, balconies and sweeping views of the Susquehanna River. The building has been proposed for a 1.9-acre tract between Division and Manor streets.

But to make way for the five-story structure, three large houses built between 1916 and 1925 and now used as offices would have to be moved or razed.

Historic Harrisburg Association has issued a "preservation alert" to rally opposition to any demolition plans.

The project is the brainchild of Mary Knackstedt, owner of Mary K Interiors Inc., who lives and works at 2901 N. Front Street, one of the tracts needed for the condo building.

She said some of the condos could approach 4,000 square feet and sell for $1 million or more. None would be smaller than 2,220 square feet.

"We have several people interested, but we don't have 32," Knackstedt said, adding that she'd like to sell most of the units before breaking ground.

The proposed project may be a sign that upscale condos are fast becoming a new trend in Harrisburg real estate.

In July, another developer proposed a downtown high-rise that would feature at least 90 condominium apartments.

"People of a certain age want to move back to the city -- but where?" Knackstedt said. "This will be the lead of what I see happening in Harrisburg."

The possible demolition of the three brick-and-stone manors between 2901 and 2917 N. Front St. -- all owned by Knackstedt -- has Historic Harrisburg concerned.

"As it stands now, we are opposed to the plans," said Diane McCormick, president of Historic Harrisburg.

She said one of the houses had been the residence of prominent retailer Mary Sachs. Historic Harrisburg is investigating the background of the other properties.

James Frey, architect of the condominium building, said none of the houses is on historic registers or preservation lists. He added that the zoning permits such a project.

"None of the structures are of historical significance," Frey said. "There are no regulations that say we couldn't do this."

Mayor Stephen R. Reed has talked with Knackstedt and initially was encouraging, according to Reed's spokesman.

At that time, however, Reed did not know many of the details, including the demolition plans, said spokesman Randy King.

"He was supportive, just as he would be of any major development," King said.

"It would be the first waterfront condo of its type in Harrisburg," he said. "At the same time, those [existing] buildings are assets to Front Street, and it would be a shame to see them lost."

Knackstedt said the houses, especially their foundations, have been damaged by repeated flooding. Two of the three need major repairs.

"Keeping them in healthy condition is almost not possible," she said.

Knackstedt said she would be open to moving the houses intact, if that can be done and alternative sites are available.

"If they can be moved, that's my first preference," she said. "I don't know who would want them."

Beyond historical concerns, McCormick added that Harrisburg risks tarnishing its scenic northern gateway if it allows three stately buildings to fall to development.

"People are always so impressed with what a beautiful stretch Front Street is," she said. "This really has to do with the character of Front Street. It has to do with the character of the city."

Knackstedt countered that her plans call for exterior designs, building materials and landscaping that would add to Front Street's charms, not detract.

"It will look like its been there for 100 years," she said. "I plan to live there, and I intend to do everything in a respectful fashion.

The building would feature enclosed parking for 146 vehicles, including a ground level parking deck and two decks underground. But there would be no entrances or exits onto Front Street.

The 32 condo suites would be housed on the upper four floors of the five-story structure, with eight units per floor.

The building would be 57 feet high on a 23,445-square-foot footprint.

Last July, Reed announced that 90 luxury condominium apartments would be part of a 25-story tower to be built at Fourth and Market streets.

That 800,000-square-foot complex, expected to cost upwards of $100 million, was proposed by Phoenix Development Corp., a consortium of The Flynn Group, Pascotti Real Estate and Reynolds Construction.

Knackstedt, who travels frequently and keeps a second apartment on New York City's Upper West Side, is known for using both her local apartment and her office as a "living laboratory," where she tests prototypes of chairs and other furniture she has designed.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2005, 11:03 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Those sound like a couple of great projects for the big H. I hope to see some pics of once they start construction. HINT HINT, WINK WINK...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2005, 3:21 PM
Me?!?

/\
Oh but of course, PA Pride.

I don't really care for Middletown (at all LOL). But I wanted to post this because it is yet another example of how many parts of the metro are now maxed out and have no where else to grow.

Woodland Hills developer seeks OK for smaller lots

Middletown to weigh zoning for modified project

BY DIANA STRICKER
For The Patriot-News

A developer has revised its plans for houses in one of Middletown's last big open spaces.

H-T Partners LLC of Landisville wants to construct about 300 single-family houses on a 167-acre tract in the Woodland Hills neighborhood. A previous proposal called for 212 single-family houses but included 78 duplexes and 82 town houses.

The Middletown Borough Council is considering creating a zoning designation for the Woodland Hills area that would permit single-family houses to be built on smaller lots than currently allowed.

Council members objected to the multifamily units and asked the developers to revise the plans, even through they met zoning requirements. Talks have been conducted since July.

At a council meeting Tuesday, project engineer Gary Roeder said the current proposal is a compromise between the developers and the borough. Roeder said the plan eliminates the duplexes and town houses but allows more flexibility in designing the single-family houses.

"The lot-size requirements didn't allow for the type and variety of homes we plan for the site," Roeder said. "We feel this is a win-win for everybody."

The ordinance is scheduled for discussion at the March 7 council meeting. If the council agrees to advertise the proposal, a public hearing will be held in April before a final vote is taken.

Borough Manager Jeff Stonehill said the ordinance would create a "new category of zoning" for the Woodland Hills area, which is north of the turnpike between Vine and North Union streets. "It is a distinct and unique part of the borough. There is no other like it," he said.

This is the third time in recent months that borough officials have grappled with zoning in Woodland Hills. The council attempted to change the zoning last summer but was unsuccessful because development plans had already been submitted.

Roeder subsequently agreed to omit the multifamily buildings and asked the zoning hearing board for a variance to reduce the lot-size requirements. The zoning board denied the request in November, saying that variances are usually granted on a smaller scale and that the request was "more like rezoning a whole district."

Stonehill told the council that the newest proposal "would accomplish what you said your goals were" regarding the elimination of multifamily buildings.

"We get the single-family units, and they get the smaller lots," he said.

Stonehill said the proposed ordinance would reduce the minimum lot size from 7,500 square feet to 6,000 square feet.

The borough solicitor said the change would be legally permissible since the developers agreed to the change.

Roeder said some lots would retain the larger dimensions. He said that about half of the land would remain as open space or wooded areas and that most of the houses would abut the open areas.

H-T Partners bought the land in March 2004 for $642,500. The tract comprises the majority of land in the Woodland Hills neighborhood, which includes a few houses, the Middletown Swim Club and two churches.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2005, 2:29 PM
Baryonic Lord

looking pretty good.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2005, 3:19 PM
Me?!?

Thanks Xeelee!!!

Hey did any of you guys see the bitching in that editorial in the Sunday paper yet? I knew it wouldn't take long. "Why do we need condos here?" and "Why do they need to be along the waterfront in that area, this isn't Annapolis" and "Save those historic homes!" and blah blah blah. I swear to God, there are some people in this area who will be against ANYTHING. You could put out a proposal for clean air and they would argue against it. Hell, come to think of it, they actually did do that when emissions inspections came into effect around here last year LOL

I hate to break it to these people, but if they haven't noticed already, Harrisburg is not the same town it was 20 years ago. Get used to it and GET OVER IT. If you don't like it, move to Chambersburg or some shit...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2005, 4:28 PM

Calm down EastSide......it's not like they can do anything to stop the condos.....the zoning and property deal is already done. That said, it is sometimes sad to see old places like that be demolished. However, it's said that they already have flood damage, so maybe it's better to demolish them now than wait until another major flood and have to demolish them then, and not have anything to replace them with. I want to see design drawings of this condo complex before I comment on the condo concept. There are many great looking condos out there....and bad ones too.

Speaking of building up, I don't have a link, but the Lancaster Sunday Paper indicated that the builders of a 18-story condo complex in Columbia (Right along the river) have already completed the prelim ground work for the construction, and have checked for any enviromental problems as well (they came up clean), as the site used to be some sort of metal factory. Looks like that project's on the fast-track. When completed, it will be the tallest building in Lancaster County, beating out the current record holder, which is 11-stories in downtown Lancaster City.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2005, 1:53 PM
joining the rail club

^ hey now...i've been out of touch for awhile, but it comes to mind that there are a few parcels of land that are vacant along north front street. why aren't these areas being developed into condos or midrise buildings? one of them is owned by vartan and is really close to downtown. i'm not a big fan of demolishing perfectly good buildings when there are lots nearby that are empty and have been for decades. it makes no sense; however, it's economics i guess. maybe the land is cheaper or it's less of a hassle to buy and raze buildings, than to buy and build new?

the new residential building for columbia sounds really cool. i didn't know about it. columbia is a decent size town as well, with a storied history. did you know it was once considered to be the site of the nation's capital?

anyway, i'm doing well Dave. thanks for asking in your other post. kosovo is nothing like home, or the rest of Europe i've seen so far. conditions are pretty bad here and the people are very poor. unemployment is around 60-70% and there is a lot of crime. i'll try to check in every once in a while and keep you updated. i've been really busy since hitting the ground here. take care!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2005, 4:02 AM
Me?!?

Hey Chris, good to hear from you!!! Stay safe out there and I look forward to talking with you soon.

As for me, I am all about preserving history as much as the next guy. But a few houses that *might* be historic and with possible flood damage? I say out with the old and in with the new baby!! :carrot:

*And the only open parcel of land I can think of along Front St. (in city limits) is the small vacant lot near Verbeke St. There is no way you would get a decent sized condo building on that; it's pretty small.

Speaking of, that parcel of land has been open for a long, long time. I remember that lot being vacant when I was a kid. I wonder why, it's a great location.

Quote:
Calm down EastSide......
NEVER!!! As long as there are NIMBYs in this town, I will always be wound up and fighting the good fight...

...and being that we live in South Central PA aka NIMBY Central, I am always wound up.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2005, 11:19 PM
Me?!?

Township planners give OK on casino

Revised details sent for East Hanover supervisors' review

Wednesday, February 23, 2005
BY PHYLLIS ZIMMERMAN
For The Patriot-News

Plans for a $240 million slots casino at Penn National Race Course's Grantville track are ready for the East Hanover Twp. supervisors.

The township's planning commission, an advisory body, last night forwarded revised plans for expanding the horse-racing facility to the supervisors, who could vote on the matter as soon as next month.

Initial plans for a $150 million facility were approved by the planning commission in October 2004, but Penn National submitted expanded plans in January. A revamped grandstand and parking garage were among the key changes.

Several citizens spoke against the project last night, citing concerns about increased traffic and congestion.

"I know there are a lot of people disapproving of this plan and all the crime and traffic it will bring. It will turn this small, little, rural community into an Atlantic City," resident Jennifer Burke said.

Real estate investors have predicted a lot of development around the track, which is off Exit 80 of Interstate 81.

Penn National's plans include restaurants, slot machines, a club house, valet parking, a five-story parking garage and 35 parking spaces for customers arriving in limousines. The company would expand the grandstand into a six-story, 325,000-square-foot grandstand and clubhouse with 7,500 seats.

It would build a 25,000-square-foot racing building north of the grandstand for use during construction of the larger grandstand/clubhouse. A paddock that would be built next to that building eventually would become a warehouse.

John R. Rauen, Penn National vice president, said the work should take about a year to complete. If the company gets its license from the state as anticipated, it could open the slots parlor in 2006.

Last week, the township zoning board signed off on the parking garage, the township's first.

Developers also were given permission to create smaller parking spaces than required by township codes. The 2,170 interior parking spaces would measure 9 feet by 18 feet instead of 10 feet by 20 feet as normally required. The 1,900 outdoor spaces would conform to current township codes.

The garage project, which is estimated to total around $25 million, still must be approved by township supervisors.

Gov. Ed Rendell and state lawmakers last year signed off on legislation allowing 14 slots parlors around the state. The state expects to receive $1 billion in revenue from slots, which Rendell has said would pay for property tax rebates.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2005, 11:22 PM
Me?!?

A few things of interest here...

TRADE TALK

Triple Crown Corp. of Lower Paxton Twp. has purchased the Health America building in TecPort Business Center, Swatara Twp., from TecPort Partners.

The 143,200-square-foot building on 11.5 acres is fully leased.

With the acquisition, Triple Crown has more than 1.4 million square feet of commercial space that it manages.

Mark X. DiSanto, Triple Crown CEO, and Crossgates Inc. handled the sales transaction.

John Snowden of Elizabethtown has purchased the former Sight and Sound building at 180-192 Second St., Highspire, as the location for a Triumph motorcycle dealership.

The building will have 8,123 square feet of showroom and service space.

The sale was handled by Eric J. Swidler of NAI/Commercial-Industrial Realty Co.

10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania has leased 1,700 square feet of office space in the Mary Sacks Building at 208 N. Third St., Harrisburg.

The statewide alliance of organizations and individuals is committed to land-use policies and actions that will strengthen the diverse urban, suburban and rural communities in the state and reduce sprawl.

Erik Kunkle of Property Management Inc. represented the lessor.

Andy Kohr of Campbell Commercial Real Estate Inc. represented 10,000 Friends.

Robert and Melody Richardson have purchased an 11,000-square-foot retail building at 5223-5225 Simpson Ferry Road, Hampden Twp.

The property will be renovated and used primarily for future retail development. Several smaller retail tenants will remain in the building.

Sale negotiations were handled by Mark R. Coakley of NAI/Commercial-Industrial Realty Co. for the Richardsons, and Gordy Banzoff of RSR Realtors for A House 4 You LLC.

Classic Communities will open a regional headquarters office in a third-floor, 8,036-square-foot suite it has purchased in the Saratoga Building at 2151 Linglestown Road, Susquehanna Twp.

William M. Gladstone of NAI/Commercial-Industrial Realty Co. represented the property owner.

Garrett Rothman of RSR Realtors represented Classic Communities.

Smith Land & Improvements sold 24 acres along Carlisle Road in Hampden Twp. to Classic Communities, which has preliminary approval to build 163 town homes on the property.

Jim Helsel, Bill Rothman and Al Simokat of RSR Realtors handled sale arrangements.

Trusecure Corp. has expanded its offices by 3,029 square feet at 1000 Bent Creek Blvd. in the Bent Creek Office Park, Silver Spring Twp.

Joseph A. Bedard of NAI/Commercial-Industrial Realty Co. assisted in lease negotiations with RSM Associates, the property owner.

Oakview Associates sold two office buildings, totaling nearly 27,000 square feet, at 4775 Linglestown Road to Touchdown Flannery.

The $2.55 million sale was handled by Jason Grace of Landmark Commercial Realty, representing the buyer, and Bill Rothman and Greg Rothman of RSR Realtors, representing the seller.

Facilities Planners + Architects Inc. of Susquehanna Twp. has been selected to provide design and project-management services for lobby and office renovations planned by Morefield Communications of Camp Hill.

Sacunas Stoessel, a marketing firm in Harrisburg, says its branding campaign on behalf of Mount Nittany Medical Center has been named one of the top public relations programs in the nation by The Holmes Report, a weekly trade publication for the public relations industry.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2005, 11:24 PM
Me?!?

Bank contributes to Steelton improvement program

BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Citizens Bank contributed $24,000 to Steelton's Main Street facade program yesterday, a move bank President William MacKenzie said he hopes will improve the borough's economy and create more jobs.

The money will be disbursed over three years in grants of up to $2,500 for window and door replacements, awnings, new lighting, paint, brick re-pointing and trim restoration for storefronts in downtown Steelton. Local business owners must match any money received in grants.

Bank and borough officials are counting on such exterior improvements to improve the business climate in the aging steel town.

"It does everywhere else," MacKenzie said. Customers "want to go someplace that's attractive."

The bank's funding came from the Citizens Bank Foundation, the principal charitable-contributions arm of Citizens Financial Group, Citizens Bank and Charter One Bank. MacKenzie presented the check in front of Roller's Pizza at 21 N. Front St.

Jose and Lisa Chacon, owners of the pizzeria and the building that also houses a tattoo shop, said they will make good use of one of the grants.

"We plan to put some awnings on and touch up the paint," Jose Chacon said.

He said he got an estimate, and "it was way over what I could afford on my own. ... The awnings alone will come to about $5,000."

The 100-year-old building that has housed Roller's Pizza for five years formerly was home to a Woolworth's store and then Lawson's Furniture, Steelton Mayor Thomas Acri noted.

The facade-improvement program will begin this spring with the goal of eventually fixing up about 20 business properties along Front Street, between Gibson and Mohn streets, according to Christina Fackler, manager of the program.

Other planned improvements include brick sidewalks, wrought-iron benches, flower-filled brick planters and streetlights resembling old-fashioned gaslights.

Steelton has received about $900,000 in state grants for the program.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2005, 6:24 PM
joining the rail club

^ awesome project. steelton really needs a facelift!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2005, 2:24 AM

i realized the other week that i've never been to downtown steelton before, on the outskirts but never on the main drag. so, naturally, i forced friends to come with me, and we walked around town for an hour or two. i know it's odd, but i find its nearly-decrepit state quite charming, oh well...the price of progress will soon take over, but it's for the best so i don't feel so bad

Old Posted Feb 26, 2005, 5:59 PM
Me?!?

Yeah, DT Steelton has A LOT of potential and I can't wait to see it evolve!!!

Here is something interesting, Jason Smith's site (he is the one running against Reed for Mayor):

http://www.smithforharrisburg.com/

I think the guy has a shot!!! I think Reed is doing/has done a fantastic job, but I must admit, I agree with his ideas and ways of doing things less and less. And I do feel he somewhat buried himself with all of those whacky museum proposals. :nuts:

Here is some of Smith's ideas that he posted in a forum. I have been saying the same thing for YEARS (a gaslamp-type of area where the streets close at a certain time and become pedestrian only):

"I envision a city that has multiple arts and cultural venues—live theatre, jazz clubs, galleries, coffee houses, street music, and more. (Not saying close Whitaker by any means, but that a rising tide raises all boats and a thriving arts CULTURE is what we need). I believe that Midtown is the ideal place for a “cultural corridor” and I believe we should consider a gaslight district on 3rd St. Midtown similar to the one in San Diego and elsewhere. I think we should close the street at 6PM or so and thereby create a walking district with a concentration of artistic and cultural venues. Mind you, Midtown is already known for art cinema, rare books, and delicious ethnic foods. And it is where I have proposed we place the African American Heritage Center (with its own performance space, museum, small business incubator, jazz club, and restaurant). Hook all of this in with a rejuvenated Broad Street Market and some additional parking and we could see a major tourist destination for our city, perhaps dwarfing and complementing restaurant row and providing a magnet for artists regionally."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations