HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 11, 2005, 12:47 AM
Me?!?

One of my favorite DT buildings. I took a nice picture of it last summer but I don't have the pic on this computer:

Dauphin County may sell building to county authority

Industrial authority to buy tower from Dauphin County

Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

In a move designed to generate as much as $200,000 a year for economic development programs, Dauphin County officials are essentially selling one of their buildings to themselves.

Commissioners, who first discussed a sale early last year, yesterday agreed to move forward on selling the eight-story Veterans Memorial Building on Market Street to the county's Industrial Development Authority.

Under the deal, expected to be finalized at next Wednesday's commissioner meeting, the authority will borrow $900,000 through 20-year taxable bonds -- $500,000 to buy the building and $400,000 for renovations.

The building of roughly 44,000 square feet has two tenants occupying about 28 percent of the space, according to authority officials. They said full occupancy could be achieved over the next two years, giving the authority an additional $200,000 a year to fund county economic development projects.

Several banks, including Vartan National Bank, have approached the authority about leasing space in the building, officials said.

"The better we make the building, the better the class of tenant we can put in there," commission Chairman Jeff Haste said.

Haste said using the expected building revenues to spur economic development is also a long-term way of improving the county's tax base and avoiding property tax increases.

Haste said the deal will call for the building to make payments in lieu of real estate taxes to the county, the city and the city schools. Currently the building, as a county-owned property, is not subject to real estate taxes.

To make the building more attractive to renters, the county last year backed a $2 million borrowing by the authority to buy about 100 parking spaces on two floors in the building under construction on Second Street adjacent to the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers.

A report by the county's Office of Community and Economic Development last made a case for not just selling the building to a private owner.

According to the report, under the building's current tax assessment of $363,880 for the land and $1,836,120 for the building, the county would receive $12,711.60 a year in real estate taxes under a private owner.

But, according to the report, if a renovated building were leased at $16 per square foot, the county could see $122,762 annually after expenses (including debt service) when the building is 80 percent leased. Even at 70 percent leased, the county would realize $42,762 after expenses.

"The intent is to place [lease revenue] back into economic development so we have a way to continue growth in the county," Haste said.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2005, 12:50 AM
Me?!?

A few noteworthy development blips from today's paper:

Pyramid Construction Services Inc. has been awarded a contract to handle renovations and construct a 7,800-square-foot addition at the Harrisburg YMCA-East Shore Branch at 701 N. Front St. in Harrisburg. Work is to be completed by the end of this year.

Facilities Planners + Architects Inc. of Susquehanna Twp. will provide design and project-management services for an expansion at Pavone, a public relations and marketing firm along Market Street in Harrisburg.

And I guess this is worth noting too:

Chamber fund-raising campaign exceeds expectations

Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Harrisburg Regional Chamber said it has surpassed its $2.5 million fund-raising goal for the next four years for the chamber and the Capital Region Economic Development Corp., the chamber's development arm.

More than $2.7 million has been pledged for activities to promote business growth in the region, the chamber said.

Anita Smith, president and CEO of Capital Blue Cross, is co-chairwoman of the capital campaign.

Smith said the campaign's success "is a testament to how far we've come in creating a shared commitment among our business leaders to the growth and vitality of central Pennsylvania."

But she noted that "we can't afford to rest on our laurels when it comes to investing in the future growth of our region. There are many competing demands for funds from businesses large and small. We need to continue to build awareness among all businesses in central Pennsylvania on the value CREDC brings in serving our region."

Steven H. Neiman, CEO of Neiman Group in Harrisburg, was the other co-chairman of the fund-raising campaign.

Money from the campaign will be used for regional marketing, business diversity programs, Keystone Innovation Zones, the Technology Corridor and Perry County Enterprise Zones, and the Murata Business Center in Carlisle.

The chamber announced the campaign results last night at annual chamber dinner attended by more than 500 people at the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center.

Airport authority earns chamber's Catalyst Award

Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

Directors of the organization that oversaw construction of a new terminal at Harrisburg International Airport received the Catalyst Award last night at the annual dinner meeting of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber.

The Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority board was selected for the award, which recognizes people instrumental in promoting economic progress for the region.

It's the first time in the award's 15-year history that it has gone to an organization and not an individual. For Eric Clancy, chairman of the authority from 2002 through 2004, that was entirely appropriate.

"It's a huge honor," he said. "I think it's an award to 15 very, very committed board members and a staff that is second to none."

The $240 million airport terminal opened last Aug. 29. It is the first new aviation facility designed to new security standards in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The airport is served by seven major airlines and handles more than 120 daily flights.

Clancy said the airport has received rave reviews since its opening. "As a gateway to our region, it is second to none," he said. The airport "has facilities that you would find at any metropolitan airport. It is a 21st century, modern facility that is spacious."

Nearly 1.4 million travelers used the new and older facilities at HIA in 2004. Fred Testa, aviation director, said projections call for annual increases of 2.5 percent a year.

"I think that's very conservative," said Testa, who noted that the airport reported a 5.1 percent increase in passenger traffic in January from a year ago.

Testa said travelers are finding that "convenience is a lot more dear to them than they used to think," and this is steering them away from long drives to airports in Baltimore or Philadelphia.

Testa credited the airport authority board with making the "bold decision" to build a new terminal, rather than renovating the 102,000-square- foot older one. He said the decision resulted in a facility "that is a front-runner in airport innovation."

Construction of the 405,000-square-foot terminal began in August 2002. It has 12 gates and is capable of serving up to 3 million airline passengers a year, with room for expansion.

"It certainly puts the right first impression on the region," said David Black, chamber president and CEO.

The airport authority was incorporated in 1997 and obtained ownership of HIA from the state on Jan. 1, 1998. It is an outgrowth of efforts begun in the early 1990s by business leaders in Dauphin, Cumberland and York counties. Black said the new airport is truly a regional effort.

The authority also operates Capital City Airport in Fairview Twp., and obtained ownership of the Franklin County Regional Airport near Chambersburg last year.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2005, 3:32 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
It appears Middletown School District wants to follow the new trend of fees instead of property taxes, they want to impose a parking tax in the area. I know Harrisburg City and/or SD has a parking tax, but I can't find the details on how it works tonight. Here's the link.....Any comments?

http://www.pennlive.com/search/index....xml?pennneast

Old Posted Mar 11, 2005, 7:29 PM
Baryonic Lord

Sounds like a cool town... any more pics?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 1:52 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
It appears Middletown School District wants to follow the new trend of fees instead of property taxes, they want to impose a parking tax in the area. I know Harrisburg City and/or SD has a parking tax, but I can't find the details on how it works tonight. Here's the link.....Any comments?

http://www.pennlive.com/search/index....xml?pennneast
Yeah, I think they are crazy for roping the airport into all of that. It's not smart to bite the hand that has a big part in feeding you. I swear, I simply cannot stand Middletown; one bad move after another.

Xeelee: All of my pics are not on the computer I am currently using and on CD. As soon as I get a new computer I will put them back up on my host site. I guess I could do that from the disks, but I just don't have that kind of time. In the meantime, this may hold you over. Trust me, you won't be disappointed; it's a very comprehensive site:

http://www.harrisburgpa.gov/visitors/cityWide/

(click the links to the left under "Neighborhoods" to see all of the pics)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 1:58 AM
Me?!?

Susquehanna Twp. creates authority

Friday, March 11, 2005
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

Susquehanna Twp. last night created an industrial development authority to help pave the way for a proposed development containing four office buildings and an 80-room hotel on 23 acres off Kohn Road and along Interstate 81.

The new authority is needed to assist with the "tax increment financing" or TIF that would help pay for improvements along Kohn Road between Walker Mill Road and Progress Avenue, officials said.

The improvements could cost up to $2 million and include road widening and straightening a turn.

If the development is approved, the authority would borrow money for the road improvements. The loan would be repaid by a portion of the annual real estate taxes collected.

Under the TIF, the difference in realty tax collected based on the unimproved land value and the improved land value would go toward paying for road improvements. TIFs have been used recently in Swatara Twp. to assist with renovations at the Harrisburg Mall.

Lower Paxton Twp. developer Rick Szeles, managing partner of Szeles Real Estate Development Co., has proposed what he estimates to be a $20 million project that would be built in phases over seven to 10 years.

According to a drawing, the office buildings would cover 176,000 square feet. Access to the park would be off Kohn Road, near Walker Mill Road.

BIG NEWS!!! Check out the part in bold/underline!!! It's back on, baby!!! It doesn't look like it will be residential now, but hey, a new 25-story bldg. is a new 25-story bldg.!!! :carrot:

A HOT PROSPECT

600 students inquire about 100 openings

Friday, March 11, 2005
BY JAN MURPHY AND JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology hasn't opened its doors. It has not really advertised. Yet, already it has drawn inquiries from 600 prospective students.

And who will teach them? It wasn't hard to find faculty from more than 500 people who applied on the first day the school advertised for instructors.

Despite what skeptics said when plans were announced in April 2001, University President Mel Schiavelli said the startup university will open for business on Aug. 29.

"It is going to happen," he said.

Housed in quarters within Harrisburg's SciTech High along Market Street across from the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, the university expects to enroll about 100 students in its inaugural class.

About 20 high school seniors have committed to the private university with a tuition of $14,000 a year. It will be the first science and technology-focused university launched in Pennsylvania since 1900, when Carnegie Technical Schools, now Carnegie-Mellon, opened.

Students will be pursuing certificates or bachelor's degrees in one of four areas: computer and information science, geospatial technology, biotechnology and an integrated science.

A master's degree program in information technology project management also will be offered.

But before the university can grow too much, it needs to find a permanent home.

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed, who has been behind the university's launch, wants it in the city's downtown. He said that's necessary for it to aid the local economy.

The preferred site almost from the beginning has been the 15-acre post office property on Market Street. But because of delays in the university's ability to secure that site, Schiavelli said school officials are looking at the possibility of both a short-term and long-term home.

Talks are under way to lease space in a high-rise office building planned for Fourth and Market streets.

The 25-story, 800,000-square-foot complex is expected to cost upwards of $100 million. It was proposed last July by Phoenix Development Corp., a consortium of The Flynn Group, Pascotti Real Estate and Reynolds Construction.

"We are still interested in the post office site, but it's taking a long time," Reed said. "Fourth and Market Street is very much front and center. It would give us a downtown location in the short term."

Schiavelli said he hopes to be in a position to announce the university's short- and long-term location plans by the end of May. The goal is for the university to move out of SciTech High by the fall of 2007, he said.

Reed all but ruled out two other sites that some have speculated to be potential locations: the former Polyclinic Hospital and the Harrisburg State Hospital, which the state plans to close.

To help pay for construction, Schiavelli said the university is hoping the state will come through with the rest of the $59 million that has been approved in the state's capital budget for the university's start-up. So far, $12 million of that has been released.

Additionally, Schiavelli said the university received commitments of $1.4 million last year from foundations, corporations and individuals.

While the university continues to fill its seats for the fall, finding faculty to teach in the fledgling university has proven to be one of the easier tasks, he said.

In October, a job posting for eight professors was placed on The Chronicle of Higher Education's Web site at 3 p.m. on a Friday.

"We were a little concerned. Were we going to be able to get faculty who are willing to take a chance in a startup and be a pioneer?" Schiavelli said.

Before the day was over, more than 500 completed applications arrived.

The university now has a staff of 15 and expects to round out its staffing needs for its first year by hiring five more people by June. Twelve of them will teach.

David Schankweiler, university board chairman, said he has been pleased with the reception to the university.

Citing an increased attention to a lack of engineers and scientists, he said, "we hit on this project at just the right time. We're going to fill a need."

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 2:00 AM
Me?!?

Some Camp Hill news:

Camp Hill group offers plan for Market Street

Friday, March 11, 2005
BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

A group of volunteers this week presented Camp Hill Borough Council with plans to make the Market Street business district more attractive to businesses and consumers.

"We want to enhance the business and economic development of the Market Street corridor," said Tom Bell, a spokesman for the Camp Hill Economic Development Group. "We would like to bring small business back to Market Street."

The group expects to fund its efforts to beautify and promote the district with grant money. The plans call for a pedestrian-friendly street and improvements to building facades.

"We envision a lot of cobblestone, a lot of walkability," Bell said. "We will be targeting independent and mom-and-pop stores, not the major chains."

New signs and street lighting would be erected, and a business recruiting campaign would be initiated.

Bell said the group would hire an executive director, possibly on a part-time basis. The position would be funded through an anticipated $175,000 grant from the state Department of Community and Economic Development.

The group also will try to obtain a $275,000 grant from the state's Main Streets program to help finance improvements. Some of the money would be made available to businesses to improve building facades and signs. All businesses between 15th and 34th streets would qualify for grants.

Bell said the group would raise about $90,000 needed to match the state grants. The improvements ultimately would be expanded to side streets.

The Capital Region Economic Development Corp., an arm of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber, would manage the state grants. Borough Council would retain legislative control over the program, Bell said.

The council did not sign off on the plan Wednesday night, but the plan was received favorably.

"We may have to work out some of the details," said council President Jeffrey F. Smith, who referred the plan to the council's general government committee for study.

Camp Hill Shopping Center plan shows no movie theater

Friday, March 11, 2005
BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

A new medical facility is coming to the Camp Hill Shopping Center. A new movie theater complex is not -- at least not at the moment.

A revised land-development plan for the mall was approved Wednesday night by Camp Hill Borough Council. It does not include the previously proposed 14-screen Regal Cinema complex.

The plan does include a two-story, 40,000-square-foot, free-standing medical arts building that will become home to the Orthopedic Institute of Pennsylvania. The medical practice says it plans to consolidate three West Shore offices in the new building.

The building would be at the northwestern corner of the shopping center, near the AAA Central Penn office on Trindle Road.

The building will face east and use the same materials as the shopping center's new brick and ecru facade. Construction will start this spring and be completed by the end of the year.

A 14-screen theater had been proposed by Regal Cinemas for the area occupied now by the Giant supermarket. The new plans show that area as retail space.

The theater concept has been shelved for now, said Tom Richie, a vice president with the mall's owner, Cedar Shopping Centers.

"I would not assume the theater is a dead issue," he told the council. "We could come back with that in the future."

A change in the borough's zoning code that reduces the parking requirements for a theater could help rekindle the plan.

"That back area, we are not really settled on what we will do there," Richie said.

Efforts to reach officials at Regal Cinemas were unsuccessful.

Final decisions about use of the space occupied by the Giant store will not be made until next year, after the supermarket has been razed.

A new Giant supermarket is being constructed in the area formerly occupied by Montgomery Ward.

The new supermarket will be 91,000 square feet, more than double the size of the existing store.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 8:04 AM

In regards to Middletown....I agree with the "hand that feeds you". Harrisburg City (not the School District, which I thought also imposed a parking tax) charges a 15 percent tax on all non-parking authority parking spaces, in addition to a 1 dollar per space fee (information from the city 2005 budget proposal).

Adding on to the middletown parking situation....They want to tax 3 locations of any size.....HIA, Penn State Harrisburg, and the High School parking ( :scratches head: ). Taxing HIA parking is'nt exactly going to help with the whole "cheaper parking than Baltimore" concept. Taxing Penn State Harrisburg parking might not be the best idea, and taxing a parking lot that the school district owns and operates.....that just makes my head hurt. Not to be unkind....but is Middletown SD that broke that they need to tax parking from the biggest employer in town?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 1:05 PM
joining the rail club

^ i don't see how middletown could tax either Penn State or HIA, because both are in Lower Swatara Twp, not Middletown Borough. furthermore, parking rates at HIA were already raised recently to help pay for the new terminal construction. raising them again would not benefit the rising percentage of flyers using the airport.

as for Harrisburg City, they could charge whatever they want for parking and people will pay it. it's a completely different situation downtown, than it is in the suburbs.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 2:42 PM
Me?!?

Spudmrg, yes, Middletown IS that broke and the borough is currently flirting with bankruptcy. I have no sympathy for them at all. Why? Because they do dumb, pointless things that waste money like running their own dispatch center for police, fire and ambulance. WHAT?!? Dauphin County's is perfectly capable and has technology that M-town could never afford. IMO M-town really is the antithesis of the, "This is our world and our world only," mindset. :tdown:

Here's some GREAT news!!! :carrot: The paper had a table with the article that listed all of the projects in the area but I am not going to type it all out. If you want to see them, well, pick up today's paper :

Funding for rail project clears House

Saturday, March 12, 2005
BY BRETT LIEBERMAN
Of Our Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - The dream of regional rail stretching from Lancaster to the West Shore is closer to becoming a reality.

The $284 billion highway and transit bill passed by the House includes approval for the Corridor One rail project as well as nearly $550 million for dozens of other projects.

Among the projects is more than $100 million destined for the midstate efforts, including Harrisburg's Third Street extension, bridge repairs, improved access to Harrisburg International Airport, and road projects.

The road ahead for the highway bill, however, remains filled with many of the same potholes that have blocked nearly identical legislation from becoming law for nearly two years.

The Senate still must pass its own version of the bill and reach a compromise with House lawmakers. President Bush has threatened to veto the bill, which has been stalled for two years because Congress wants to include more money than the administration wants.

A dispute over how money from gas taxes are split among states also does not bode well for Pennsylvania and could tie up the legislation indefinitely.

But area lawmakers and transportation leaders were pleased to see the bill move ahead and include authorization for Corridor One, which would provide rail service between Lancaster and Mechanicsburg and possibly as far as Carlisle.

"Thank goodness," said Capital Area Transit's executive director Jim Hoffer said of Thursday's vote.

If all goes well, the first passengers could ride a commuter train from Lancaster to Harrisburg in less than three years.

The "Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy For Users," known as TEA-LU, includes two important provisions for Corridor One, both of which were included in previous versions that never became law.

"Let's get on with it," said Hoffer, adding, "I would hope the Senate could take all of this up before they leave for their Easter recess."

The bill authorizes design work -- but doesn't pay for construction -- of the system from Lancaster to Harrisburg and East Mechanicsburg.

It also allows for alternative analysis and preliminary design to extend rail to Carlisle.

Using about $2 million received annually under the existing transportation bill, preliminary design work is expected to be completed by the end of September.

If the Federal Transit Administration grants approval of the final engineer and environmental studies, final design work would begin next spring.

Construction on the Lancaster to Harrisburg leg would begin in January 2007 with service starting in late 2007 or early 2008.

Most construction dollars would come from about $49 million set aside in the state's capital budget.

Hoffer said another $17 million to $18 million in federal funds are needed to complete the project as well as annual operating assistance.

The Corridor One authorization was requested by Reps. Bill Shuster, R-Blair County, Tim Holden, D-Schuylkill County, and Joseph Pitts, R-Chester County.

Among those not supporting extending Corridor One to Carlisle is Rep. Todd Platts, R-York, who represent Cumberland County.

"The Corridor One effort is not a consensus of the state and county officials, and that's guiding my principles," said Platts.

The Cumberland County commissioners want to see the viability of the first phase of the project before committing to extending it further.

The transportation bill included millions of dollars for Pennsylvania, including an additional $12.5 million that was added for Holden.

"They called last Friday and said there would be more money coming for you," said Holden, who secured $57.5 million for projects.

Some of Holden's added money includes: $2 million to fix an interchange and drainage in Hummelstown, $500,000 to replace the Burd Street Bridge in Royalton, $1 million to improve the Chambers Hill and Lindle road intersection off Interstate 283 and Eisenhower Boulevard, and doubles to $1 million money to improve access to Harrisburg International Airport off I-283.

Platts received $45 million for 19th District projects, while Pitts secured $16 million, Rep. Allyson Schwartz, D-Montgomery County, received $52.5 million, Rep. Charles Dent, R-Allentown, received $45 million, and Rep. Jim Gerlach, R-Chester County, received $44 million.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 4:16 PM

Wrightchr, you are correct, Middletown Boro cannot tax those parking spaces.....Middletown School District covers those locations and wants to impose the tax. We live in a state where the county, city/boro/township, and the school districts all tax you on different bills. Interestingly enough, according to the state's database, Middletown school district has the second highest tax rate in the county (second to Harrisburg City school district). Given the difference in size and wealth....that's somewhat odd.

Heh....figures as it pertains to M-town. This is the same town that just imposed the $52 EMS tax for no apparent reason. At least in the largest employement hubs, I can understand the tax (it was designed for the county/regional seats).

In regards to the transportation bill....they still need to go to conference with the US senate for the final details, and get it signed by the president. Given the number of times this bill has made it to conference and no where else.....I would'nt count on this bill until the president signs it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 4:36 PM
Me?!?

/\
Very true, but I saw a news report last night on this Bill and it looks like it will get that far and Bush will sign it. Apparently, he is afraid that it will get worse so he might as well sign it now; each time it has come back to him there was even more stuff in it LOL

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 8:56 PM
joining the rail club

^ lol...well i hope he signs the bill. PA, especially the Harrisburg area, stands to gain quite a bit from this funding. as for Platts not jumping on board with CorridorOne, i think he's tyring to make a political sidestep to avoid pissing anyone off, ie: the local county commissioners. hopefully he will come to his senses. as for the list of projects, i would love to see them; however, i'm having trouble finding a list due to the fact that we don't get the Patriot in Kosovo. imagine that!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2005, 9:04 PM
joining the rail club

i used to work for Target, so i'm a little interested in seeing if this store will be built. originally the chain was going to build a new store in Camp Hill. but i guess Carlisle is getting the next one.

Shopping center plan veers off Target
Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY ANDREA CICCOCIOPPO
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

BOILING SPRINGS - Trees have been cleared and ground has been moved, but South Middleton Twp. supervisors hope to find out tonight if a shopping center that is to include Target will be built as planned.

Washco Retail Group of Hagerstown, Md., has proposed a commercial center with seven stores and restaurants, including a Target store, off the east side of York Road, south of Interstate 81. The South Middleton location would be second Target chain store in the Harrisburg area. Township supervisors approved the subdivision and land development plans in November. The plan was expected to be filed at the Cumberland County Courthouse last month.

But according to township officials, Washco failed to post the bonds that are required before a plan can be filed, and the developer announced it is in the midst of a reorganization and being taken over by a new group, AFC Carlisle Crossings LLC, of New York.

Supervisors asked representatives of the group to come in tonight and explain the status of the project.

In the meantime, AFC has asked the board to file the shopping center plan with the county, and has given the township letters of credit in lieu of bonds, which it wants placed in escrow to be released at its convenience.

"That presents a problem for us," board Chairman Tom Faley said. "We've never done [bonds with conditions] before."

Faley said the township wants to work with the developer, but must weigh the risk.

"The bottom line is the majority of us want this shopping center to happen, but we don't want to expose the township to greater risk," Faley said.

He said he expects the board to discuss about the project tonight and analyze all options before making a decision.

"As one supervisor, I believe it's best for the township to let new and old principles work out the corporate transfer and then come to the township with the usual security, and then we would file the approved plan with the county at that time," Faley said.

One of the concerns about the new management is about security, because the township does not have its own police force. Washco had agreed to hire a security agency to patrol the area.

"We want to ensure that the earlier Washco obligations to our board are fully passed on to AFC Carlisle Crossings," Faley said. "I want to make sure those obligations do not fall through the cracks."

The board of supervisors will meet at 6 tonight in the township building on Park Drive.

ANDREA CICCOCIOPPO: 249-2006 or aciccocioppo@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Mar 13, 2005, 2:52 PM
Me?!?

Here's an interesting article, a Q&A with the lady who is proposing the condos on Front St. She also states that more details will be released on Tuesday (hopefully a rendering is one of those) so I will be sure to keep everyone posted:

Q&A
Designer examines effect of spaces on people
Sunday, March 13, 2005
BY APARNA KUMAR
Of The Patriot-News

What developer would come up with a plan to move three 1920s-era mansions along Harrisburg's scenic riverfront and replace them with million-dollar condos?

Her name is Mary Knackstedt. Many people know her as Mary K.

The 64-year-old interior designer has written seven books and traveled the world to spread her aesthetic. She studies the physical, psychological and cultural impact of space on people -- proxemics -- and incorporates those observations into her interior designs.

"I have spent my life working on educational facilities, medical facilities, the hearing-impaired, [people with] low vision, children and older people," she said. "Whether it be a space for business or for personal or educational use or religious use, spaces speak to us, don't they?

"So, if we know what a person or a company wants a space to do or the kind of actions they want to happen there, we create the background or the staging for it."

Knackstedt runs her company, Mary K. Interiors, from one of the brick-and-stone mansions she plans to move. The Harrisburg native commutes regularly to Manhattan, where she keeps an apartment, and Cambridge, Mass., where she teaches graduate courses at Harvard University.

Her plans to move the three mansions and build a 32-unit condominium building in their place has drawn fire from neighbors.

From her office at 2901 N. Front St. last week, Knackstedt talked about her plans and her vision for Harrisburg. She said details of the proposed project will be disclosed Tuesday. The questions below have been paraphrased and the answers edited for brevity and clarity.

Q: Harrisburg has some beautiful homes like this and obviously a rich history ...

A: It has some history, but you must consider it's not that old. All of these houses were built in '27, at least [two of them], I don't know about the third one. So, it really isn't as old as one might think, not in this area. I know there was at least one other property on this site, which was the Italian Hotel.

Q: Do you see this area gaining more recognition of its own history?

A: Not just that. I see this practically becoming a suburb to the Washington-Baltimore area. I see many people moving here from that area.

I also feel that, at least the people that I work with, they're not just from Harrisburg, they work many places. They're very national, international people. So therefore they have requirements and desires similar to those in other areas.

Q: Who do you see living in these condos?

A: What we're looking at in these are people who have raised their children, and they have another home or they have two other homes -- many people have two and three other homes. They want something that doesn't require much care... [so] they don't have to worry, "Did the man show up to mow the grass?" It gets very hard to manage properties in many locations, it really does.

Maybe people who work out of their home, maybe a professional who has reason to be in Harrisburg and may use part of it as an office.

Q: Do you think Harrisburg is lacking that?

A: Yes, I definitely think that. There's no place in Harrisburg where we have this kind of property.

Q: Why do you think there's so much opposition to it?

A: Well, this is very difficult, and I really can't say. I can't give you the reasons. I know why, but I can't give you the reasons. Basically, let's say this: They don't know what the project is about. No idea.

Q: Do you think people here know what you're about and where you're coming from?

A: No. You have to realize that a lot of the work I do, some of it is here, but not all of my clients are here. So not everyone realizes the type of work that I do and what is required of me.

You can't work at a very high position in your field and not comply with or support what are the standards of the day.

Q: Does this project have to do with that science about space you spoke about?

A: Absolutely, would I ever think of doing something that doesn't involve all of the proxemics issues? It must be convenient for people to work. It has to be healthy. It has to be barrier-free.

Q: Is this the first time that you are proposing a development project?

A: I have done a lot of this for other people. This project I have kind of spearheaded on my own. It's not my own; it's quite a team that's working with me.

Q: Do you think Harrisburg, more than other cities of its size, lends itself to this kind of project?

A: Harrisburg is an outstanding city. Harrisburg has outstanding people here. Why is it that people that live in New York ... they all brag about everything they do, don't they?

People in Harrisburg are a little bit quiet. They don't tell you all the great things they do. They're not ready to always show their great abilities. But I know we have a lot of great people here. Yes, they are in New York on Park Avenue. Yes, they are in D.C. But they are also here.

Q: How do you get your ideas? How do you work?

A: By continuing to be a student, by continuing to mix with the leaders in the field. As a result, I think with that vocabulary. I'm thinking with the vocabulary that is now and perhaps 20 years in advance of what many people in this area might be thinking.

Q: What do you think about being a woman trying to forge this very ambitious development project? Do you think about that?

A: No, I don't think I really do. In the market that I work, nobody really says whether you are male or female. The question is whether you have the ability to get the job done. And that's the way I have worked all along.

I was trained in interior architecture. In a lot of the projects I do, I am often in charge of all the disciplines. I decide what the building is going to look like, and in a sense work with the team to make it happen.

Q: When did you get this idea to build condos?

A: Maybe '81, '82. That's when I started to think something more should be here. The amount of research that has gone into this, and the amount of professionals that have been part of it, it's really incredible. Someone who [has] never seen the design -- they don't know what it looks like -- so how can they make an opinion?

Q: Do you think other developers have attempted something similar in Harrisburg?

A: I don't know. Everyone here has gone outside the city of Harrisburg to do things. They did wonderful residential projects across the river. Several of them across the river. But no one's done anything in Harrisburg. That's the difference. And I think Harrisburg's terrific.

Q: What will the facade of the new building look like?

A: It's going to be traditional. The mayor and some of the other people have asked that it be traditional.

The landscaping is incredible ... two-thirds of it is garden. How many properties do you see where it's two-thirds garden? And no visible cars.

Q: How would you like to be thought of? How do you see yourself?

A: Well, I'm basically a designer, and I'm a person that works to raise the level of every client. I think it is my job to give them better opportunities for lifestyle in everything they do, whether it's convenience, of making it easier for them to work, or whether it's just simply enhancing their environment so that it permits them to just enjoy the space they're living in. That's what I do, and that's what I intend to do for Harrisburg.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2005, 2:57 PM
Me?!?

More GREAT news for the city/area!!! Those news anchors from 21 sure love the city, eh (that's two now that bought houses in the city; see the 2nd article below)?

Damn, this area is just booming right now...so this is why the housing prices around here are quickly skyrocketing...

"To me, just philosophically, it's a real turning point in the city's life when these homes start coming back."

Sunday, March 13, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Alex Hartzler hadn't planned to make a sideline of rehabilitating city houses and reselling them. It happened by chance after he moved to Harrisburg in 1995.

The Lancaster County native bought a house in the 900 block of Green Street, where all the houses had been fixed up except for the one in the middle of the row. It was owned by an absentee landlord.

Hartzler, an executive vice president at the Harrisburg online advertising agency Webclients.net, said he grew tired of friends teasing him about living so close to a "slum." So he bought the blighted property in 1998 for about $50,000.

He put about $30,000 of work into the house and resold it, making a $6,000 profit on the sale, he said.

With many houses in the city selling for much less than those in the suburbs, Hartzler suddenly saw the business possibilities. Since then he has purchased nearly 20 midtown and uptown properties on Green, Boas, Forster, North Second and Susquehanna streets, rehabilitated them and sold them.

All the properties Hartzler bought were originally built as single-family homes in the early 20th century and later partitioned into offices, apartments or other kinds of rental properties in the 1970s and '80s.

Hartzler has converted all but two of the properties back to owner-occupied, single-family homes, which many real estate observers say is key to the revitalization of city neighborhoods.

"To me, just philosophically, it's a real turning point in the city's life when these homes start coming back," Hartzler said.

Steve Batdorf, facilities manager at Webclients.net, has lived for years along the stretch of North Second Street where Hartzler has rehabilitated several properties.

"I've seen a big difference in the neighborhood," Batdorf said. "It was a bunch of renters. There's less renters today."

The city's zoning code was changed in 1994 to prohibit the conversion of any more single-family homes into multiple units, according to Randy King, spokesman for Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

"It was an effort on the mayor's part to reduce blight and decrease parking congestion and other neighborhood problems," King said.

According to Hartzler, among the homes he has rehabilitated is one where Reed grew up and one that was once owned by the late state Senate President Pro Tempore M. Harvey Taylor, after whom the nearby bridge is named.

Hartzler turned one house into his own home. "When I bought it, it had orange shag carpeting and about a half-dozen squirrels living there," he said.

Hartzler, 35, is committed to city living. He was one of five founders of Harrisburg Young Professionals in 1998 and served as the organization's first president.

Hartzler is renovating three houses on North Second Street, two of them with partners Josh Gray and Scott Piotroski, his colleagues at Webclients.net. Two others he renovated on Green Street were done with friend and former neighbor Bob Murray.

"There have been some losses. I'm thankful there's only been two or three. And I'm thankful they weren't my first ones or I probably would have stopped," he said. The losses occurred because "I paid too much for homes that had more structural problems than I had anticipated, so it is tricky."

Hartzler, who describes himself as a real estate investor and marketer, said he is happy to make a profit of 6 percent to 10 percent on each house.

With experience, he has developed a sense of how much rehabilitation each house will require. He also takes his friend Dave Leaman, owner of Renovations Company Inc., who does the actual construction work, to see the properties before he buys them.

With the hot real estate market and renewed interest in the city, he has had no trouble reselling the houses.

"Recently, most of them have been sold before I'm finished or within the first month," Hartzler said.

Single people, married couples with children and childless couples have been among the buyers, he said.

"It started out being all young professionals and now it's young professionals and young families with children," Hartzler observed.

"A lot of people are moving in from out of the area, buying some higher-priced renovated homes in the historic district," said Realtor Ray Davis of RE/MAX Realty Associates in Camp Hill, who does about 40 percent of his business in the city and has worked with Hartzler. "They come to our market feeling everything is such a bargain."

Many house hunters like the city because it's convenient to work and recreation, and many of the homes have "charm and character" at a lower price than you'd find in the suburbs, Davis said.

When Hartzler and Leaman rehabilitate a house, it's often a "complete gut and redo," including restoring original stained-glass windows, wood banisters and other charming touches that were hidden when it was converted for other use, Hartzler said.

These are houses with large rooms, big windows, vaulted ceilings and hardwood floors, features that would cost much more in a new suburban home, he noted.

"We try to re-create as much of the original as possible, keeping in mind there are cost constraints," Leaman said.

Those who might want to copy Hartzler's idea will find that market conditions have already changed, with fewer houses available and housing prices on the rise.

Davis said that in the early 1990s, it wasn't unusual for houses to sit on the market for three to six months. Now they can go in three to six weeks, he said.

Houses in the city notoriously took longer to sell and didn't appreciate in value as fast as suburban homes, but that's no longer true, according to Davis.

Leaman has seen the market for rehabilitated city homes "really take off" in the past five years. When he started working in the city about 15 years ago, he said, you could find a property to buy almost every day.

"Now you really have to hunt," he said. "It's definitely getting harder because more people are seeing the opportunities."

Davis said he has "never had so many calls from investors, both local and outside the area," looking to buy properties in the city.

He said he tells them "pickings are slim and be patient because there's a high demand and low supply."

With renovations,house becomes haven

Sunday, March 13, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Last week, three kids had a friendly snowball fight along North Second Street in Harrisburg, near the home of Patty Kim and John Sider.

The kids and the couple are both signs of this uptown neighborhood's continuing revival.

Kim and Sider bought their home last year after Alex Hartzler renovated it.

"When I bought this house it was a complete disaster," said Hartzler, an executive vice president at Webclients.net, an online advertising agency in Harrisburg.

Hartzler fixes up houses on the side. He paid $85,000 for the North Second Street house and spent six months rehabilitating it.

The 1920s-era house was in "disastrous" condition and needed a new roof, windows, wiring, floors, plumbing and drywall, Hartzler said.

Now "it's a brand-new house in the old frame," he said. "I put a little more in it than I expected. I miscalculated a little bit."

It's one of only a few of about 20 properties that Hartzler has bought, rehabilitated and sold that he didn't make a profit on.

Kim and Sider said they bought it for $148,000 when Kim was nine months pregnant with their daughter Brielle, who is now 9 months old.

Kim said she and her husband were "desperate for a bigger house" and fell in love with this 2,525-square-foot duplex when they saw it.

"To be honest, we were looking outside the city, thinking we needed a big yard," Kim said.

But the couple also were going down to one income. Kim, a TV reporter at Channel 21, was about to become a stay-at-home mom. Now she's running for a seat on City Council.

This three-floor, three-bedroom house with three bathrooms was twice the size for half the price of what they were finding in the suburbs, she said. It also had a fireplace, hardwood floors, high ceilings, solid-wood doors and lots of big windows.

"They don't build them like this any more," said Sider, who works for Community First Fund. "We probably looked at three dozen houses, and as soon as we walked in this one it was done. It was like buying a new house because all the systems are new. ... But it still maintains the old character."

The house, a half-block from the Susquehanna River, also is down the street from Hartzler's home, another property that he rehabilitated.

"Our neighbors are great. It's a real community," Sider said.

On warm evenings the couple like to serve dinner to guests on their back porch and then walk along the river.

"That's a package you can't get in a lot of places," Sider said.

One drawback to buying in the city for young families has been the troubled public school system.

With Mayor Stephen R. Reed's takeover of the schools four years ago and the opening of a new Sci-Tech high school, "there's a lot of progress being made," Sider said. "To me a lot of good things are happening. There's options." He mentions charter and private schools.

"I think all the best real estate is in the city," Sider said.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2005, 3:01 PM
Me?!?

Part of Harrisburg's 10-year plan: "To fully end homelessness here."

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
March 11 2005

HOMELESS SHELTERS AND SERVICES RECEIVE MAJOR BOOST; 10-YR PLAN IN THE WORKS TO FULLY END HOMELESSNESS HERE

Mayor Stephen R. Reed and Dauphin County Commissioners Jeff Haste, Nick Difrancesco and George Hartwick III today announced that the City of Harrisburg and Dauphin County, through a joint application, have secured $1,502,363 in major additional funding to support homeless shelter and homeless services. The funds include monies to construct a new facility to house chronically homeless persons who have mental illness – thus addressing a longstanding need in the community.
Equally significant, the mayor and commissioners also announced the estab-lishment of a steering committee which is being charged with the duty of creating a 10-year Plan to End Chronic Homelessness for the purpose of ending recurring homelessness in the city and county

Reed said: “These are major advances in the long effort to deal with home-lessness here. The added funding boosts existing services and capacity, creates an additional facility to deal with what has been the most difficult and challenging aspect of homelessness, and creates the opportunity for an end to homelessness as we have known it within the next decade.

” The funds are being provided by the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development through the Continuum of Care Program. The application was jointly filed by the city and county with the direct impact and participation of major shelter providers and human service agencies.

“The focus is on permanent solutions to homelessness and reintegration of the individual into a position of self-sufficiency and stability. It is not enough to merely provide temporary homeless shelter space, as that alone does not solve the underlying issues of homelessness,” Reed said.

Commissioner Hartwick, who oversees the Dauphin County Human Services Department, said: “The Continuum of Care Program in the county and city brings together all the homeless service providers and county and city government into one common effort to address a problem that affects us all. The funding that has been secured is a result of creative, visionary planning by the participants. It will make a difference in the quality of life in the community and in the individual lives of persons who find themselves homeless.
” The funding will specifically go to:

- Susquehanna Harbor Safe Haven - $933,843 – to build a new facility housing 25 chronically homeless male clients who suffer from severe mental illness, as well as expand shelter capacity to 40 beds during the colder winter months. The new beds will help to alleviate the use of downtown churches for frigid weather homeless housing.

- YWCA - $338,701 – funds the Y’s ongoing homeless shelter services for Women suffering from severe mental illness, and provides mental health- Care during their transition into permanent housing. The funding provides for full capacity services for up to 19 families for three years.

- Shalom House AfterCare Rental Assistance Program(SHARP) - $229,819

- provides funding for transitional housing for chronically homeless women, enabling them to attain permanent housing, and homeownership. Approximately 20 clients can be served at any given time during the three-year term of the program.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2005, 3:05 PM
joining the rail club

great articles Dave. my brother just snail-mailed me an article from the patriot about the 21st Street/CH Bypass intersection project. it's going to cost around 2.5 million and rehabilitate the entire area of 11/15 and 21st street. i was very impressed about the project details. i think it starts in the spring sometime. maybe it will be complete around the time i come home...woohoo! anyway, i know residents on the west shore have been waiting nearly a decade for this project and it's finally about to start.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2005, 10:42 PM
Me?!?

Thanks, Chris!!! I know very little about the CH Bypass project but I will check into it to learn a little more. I'm glad to hear it is (finally) underway!!!

Damn, DT is booming!!! :carrot:

Approval anticipated for court complex

Tuesday, March 15, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Plans for a Commonwealth Judicial Center just south of the state Health and Welfare building are expected to pass muster by the Harrisburg City Council.

Councilwoman Linda Thompson, who chaired a committee meeting on the $145 million project last night, said she expected the plans to receive a speedy verdict at the April 22 council meeting.

"I see no reason why not," she said. "It's a beautiful facility."

The complex would be made up of two connected buildings at Commonwealth Avenue and North Street.

A five-story portion looking out on Commonwealth Avenue would house courtrooms and judges' chambers for Commonwealth Court.

Commonwealth Court is currently housed in the top two floors of the South Office Building. The court hears cases brought by state agencies and appeals arising from state and local government actions.

A nine-story tower oriented toward Seventh Street would contain administrative offices for all the state courts -- Supreme, Superior and Commonwealth.

The Administrative Office of the Pennsylvania Courts, the main administrative arm for state, county and local courts, would be the biggest tenant at the center. It currently leases buildings on the West Shore.

All told, the building would house about 600 employees.

The two-year construction project is expected to start in the spring of 2006. The complex is expected to open in early 2008.

But first, the state must deal with the loss of 832 parking spaces that currently occupy the same grounds next to the Health and Welfare building.

The state has proposed a five-story, 800-space parking garage on what is now a 256-space surface parking lot just west of the Labor and Industry building.

That project is expected to begin soon and finish by next spring, before work would begin on the judicial complex.

In addition, the Harrisburg Parking Authority is planning to double the size of its Seventh Street parking garage, providing additional spaces for judicial employees and others who would be displaced by the project.

Taken together, the two garage projects would provide an estimated 1,700 spaces.

Officials have projected that consolidating into one complex the many state court functions currently scattered throughout the midstate at rented sites would save the state $2 million a year in rent.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2005, 10:44 PM
Me?!?

Developer submits new design for condos

Preservationists oppose plan to move Front Street mansions

Tuesday, March 15, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Interior designer Mary Knackstedt has submitted revised plans for a 32-unit luxury condominium building that would displace three mansions on the 2900 block of North Front Street in Harrisburg.

"The objective is to go forward with the project," Knackstedt has said.

Knackstedt, who withdrew similar plans on March 2, said the latest revisions "reflect a building that is architecturally traditional in appearance and is surrounded by considerable elegant landscaping."

"The new building aims to restore the section of Front Street between Division and Manor streets to quiet, gracious residential space," she said in a written statement.

But neighbors, preservationists and the Historic Harrisburg Association all oppose the plans because building the condos would mean moving or demolishing three 1920s-era manors there.

Historic Harrisburg, which held a meeting on the plans last night, has called the project "a preservation crisis of the highest magnitude."

David A. Zwifka, the association's executive director, said the issue is not whether Knackstedt can improve upon her condominium plans. It's that her project threatens "three crown jewels" of Harrisburg's architectural heritage.

"It is clear that the developers simply do not get it," he said.

The three brick-and-stone mansions between 2901 and 2917 N. Front St. were built between 1916 and 1925, but they lack a historic designation.

Knackstedt, owner of Mary K Interiors Inc., has an office and residence at 2901 N. Front St. The other two buildings have been converted to office space.

Last week, Knackstedt applied for a demolition permit from Harrisburg for all three buildings.

Knackstedt said she intends to move the buildings but a demolition permit was the only means to get approval.

Knackstedt has said she has lined up a buyer and locations for the mansions. She described the buyer as local, with other real estate interests. She added that the houses would remain in the area, but not necessarily in the city.

City spokesman Randy King has said Mayor Stephen R. Reed opposes the removal of the mansions from Front Street, fearing it could set a precedent.

In her written statement, Knackstedt said she once again discussed the project with Reed, who indicated that "obstacles" to her plans remain.

Knackstedt added that she and her team would "continue to explore" the city's problems with her plans, as well as alternative sites the city has been suggesting.

Neither Reed nor his spokesman could be reached for comment late yesterday.

The Reed administration had determined that Knackstedt's first set of plans did not meet qualifications as a planned residential development, the category for which Knackstedt was seeking approval.

Informed of the city's opposition, Knackstedt withdrew those plans at a planning commission meeting March 2.

A meeting date has not been set for the second set of plans.

Knackstedt's $30 million building would feature 32 units with terraces, balconies and views of the Susquehanna River. Some of the condos could approach 4,000 square feet and sell for $1 million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations