HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 2:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Hunter Street micro-lofts and density on the Peninsula

I thought this project was pretty interesting because it relates to some discussion that has appeared in this forum: http://www.densecity.ca/

Specifically, the question of what to do with stable neighbourhoods of single-family dwellings comes up. I think this, combined with larger-scale development on empty lots, is a great approach.

There's a related site with blog and some restoration projects: http://urbanrenewable.com/

The page also has this map of population density in Halifax:

This is much more meaningful than a census tract density map where industrial areas and parks are merged in with developed residential blocks. It looks like university residences aren't counted though (they are pretty significant -- Dal alone has over 2,000 rooms for students). It would be interesting to see a map incorporating the full student population as well as employment density.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 12:00 PM
opinionated so and so

That's my map! Well, my friend Zack did it for me before the election for a Pecha Kucha - he and I put it out there for public use - here is the full set - http://wayemason.ca/maps/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 1:27 PM

I really like the restoration site; shows what can be done with old buildings that are 'too far gone to save'.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 4:10 PM

The restorations are indeed awesome, and the map hints at what I suspected: The city's densest areas are, with the exception of a few towers elsewhere, often highrise-free census tracts full of modestly sized single-family or rowhousing. (Including the ever-controversial Schmidtville.)

Redeveloping these areas doesn't make nearly as much sense as targeting the more lightly shaded areas, where redevelopment would A: Produce a lot more bang for the buck, density-wise, B: Preserve more historical housing stock and streetscapes, and C: Require less property acquisition, resulting in less disruption to the population, and fewer costs to developers.

Of course there's still room for more central redevelopment in the dark-blue areas, but a gentler hand is required there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 1:45 AM

I can't find that map on the site. The design is a bit too designer-y to be useful.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 4:24 AM

Is anyone else noticing that Park Vic, one of the densest buildings in Halifax, is showing up as <5 ppl / hectare?

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:06 AM

I noticed that there were no people living in Park Vic. There are no people living at the Vic either.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Is anyone else noticing that Park Vic, one of the densest buildings in Halifax, is showing up as <5 ppl / hectare?
Actually if I read the map legend correctly; Park Vic is designated Industrial. As is The Vic...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues