HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:49 PM

Today:
The Mill -

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:34 PM

4555 N. Sheridan Road

Curbed
Today:

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 1:18 AM

The Mill

Dec 23

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:45 AM

I really like the unique shape of the Mill thanks to its lot. It'll be a while until anything is as big as it in River West, well assuming the Tribune Freedom center towers don't get started in the next few years that is...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:53 AM

I agree. It'll end up being a great looking building. Also I love the legit curtain wall.
Seems to be pretty rare on residential projects its size in Chicago. Looks great in person.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:18 PM
The City

Love that view down Milwaukee Ave, which gets more dramatic every year.

We need a serious sidewalk widening, though

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 1:42 AM

The Mill:

Gr333n:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:22 AM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:26 AM
you know where I'll be

^ what project/where is that?
Drawing a massive blank....

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 2:22 PM

It took me forever to figure it out... but the address is correct, it's indeed 633... based on the rendering, you'd think that it was on the north side with what appears to be the Chase tower in the background... but this must be one of those Chinese outsourced renderings, because it is actually located att 633 S LaSalle (looking southeast, so no way you'd be able to see Chase)... the glass canopies in the foreground are actually depicting the metal canopies of the LaSalle St station...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
It took me forever to figure it out... but the address is correct, it's indeed 633... based on the rendering, you'd think that it was on the north side with what appears to be the Chase tower in the background... but this must be one of those Chinese outsourced renderings, because it is actually located att 633 S LaSalle (looking southeast, so no way you'd be able to see Chase)... the glass canopies in the foreground are actually depicting the metal canopies of the LaSalle St station...
And the glassy building with the horizontal banding peeking out from behind is the rear elevation of the Dwight lofts - built as Columbia housing but I think is now disassociated from Columbia but still student housing.

This will make a huge change for that block of LaSalle which is currently quite barren, although there have been a couple small projects there. The west side is nothing but the Metra tracks as they approach LaSalle station.

One of the renderings shows sidewalk umbrellas that I guess are meant to indicate some sort of cafe. That would be a hard sell at that location unless things really develop.

Directly behind on Clark street is a small single story brick building that's been everything from a tire repair shop to a car wash to daily parking. It's been empty for awhile. Recently there have been signs of activity including a backhoe cleaning it out and putting stuff into dumpsters. I wonder if it's somehow related.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:29 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Ahhh...ok, not just me.....thought I was going crazy for a moment trying to figure that one out!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:24 PM

Here's the current street view of 633 S LaSalle. Literally a gravel parking lot with a shack and a port-a-john.

If you turn around you can see that across the street is a huge blank concrete wall separating the train tracks. If they want to put in a cafe and activate the streetscape, they should commission a mural for the wall.

Edit because I was curious: Based on random googling, murals seem to be $10-30/sq foot depending on intricacy and other factors. The wall facing 633 spans about 15 parking space, so ~150 feet. If they do the top 20 feet of the wall, that's 3000 sq feet = $30-100K. Low intricacy and only half that width would get you $10-15K. Not cheap, but could go a long way to making the site (especially ground-level retail) more appealing. Would have to run it by the Metra folks I guess.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
Here's the current street view of 633 S LaSalle. Literally a gravel parking lot with a shack and a port-a-john.

If you turn around you can see that across the street is a huge blank concrete wall separating the train tracks. If they want to put in a cafe and activate the streetscape, they should commission a mural for the wall.
And just down the street you'll find this lovely electrical sub station:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/63...!4d-87.6315918

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:59 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post

Edit because I was curious: Based on random googling, murals seem to be $10-30/sq foot depending on intricacy and other factors. The wall facing 633 spans about 15 parking space, so ~150 feet. If they do the top 20 feet of the wall, that's 3000 sq feet = $30-100K. Low intricacy and only half that width would get you $10-15K. Not cheap, but could go a long way to making the site (especially ground-level retail) more appealing. Would have to run it by the Metra folks I guess.
Hahaha, I was looking at that too, and yeah a mural is an excellent idea, I don't think you'd have to do the whole wall either, I think you could break it up with some green wall, so like 4 different murals/artists separated by a few green walls. I'd go 1 step further and get rid of the parking spots and carve out an area for farmers markets and events.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:06 PM
you know where I'll be

That Printer’s row area project is near the 600 S Clark garage that was being eyed for an apartment tower....but then there was some fraud, unpaid taxes, wound up in the courts and I have lost track of who the owner now is and if there are any current redevelopment plans....I’d been looking forward to that one...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:16 PM

It's great to see a building without a parking podium building. But, its a shame it is being built on a location like LaSalle St while podiums are being built up and down Wabash and Michigan Ave.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 10:47 PM
Team Alinghi

Just got an email from Ald. Hopkins:

Quote:
You are invited to attend a community meeting to discuss a proposed development for a 22-story, 12-unit tower-style building at 12 W. Maple St. The proposal includes a restaurant, private dining space, and commercial space. Residential amenities will include an outdoor pool, and indoor & outdoor terraces.

The developers are seeking to establish a Planned Development for the site, which is currently zoned DX-7. Current zoning allows up to 88 units, but the developer envisions a modern luxury aesthetic for the future owners.
22 stories with only 12 units? Sounds very fancy.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:48 PM
TL;DR

That 633 S LaSalle building may be a student housing proposal. The single large terrace on every floor has a kind of student lounge feel to it.

It would also explain the lack of parking and the willingness to build on (formerly undesirable) LaSalle St.

Columbia just sold the Lakeside Press dorm containing 343 beds, to be deconverted into only 96 apartments. Those units probably to be replaced somewhere, unless Columbia's enrollment is dropping steeply.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Just got an email from Ald. Hopkins:

22 stories with only 12 units? Sounds very fancy.
Did he state who the developer is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations