HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15341  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:04 PM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
For me, saving a facade on a building like 300 N Michigan isn't about preserving exemplary architecture, it's about preserving as much pre-automobile pedestrian scale as possible. I love the design of this building other than the blocking of Carbide & Carbon, but I will still vote preservation every time when a solid, human-scaled urban building like this is involved. Demolition is still too common.

Thanks, dan_ryan for the info from SB. It must have been too expensive to salvage.
The building is pretty mediocre at the pedestrian level though... certainly no better than what is going to replace it, in fact, the new building will be far more inviting and make the sidewalk feel less cramped
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15342  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:23 AM
SolarWind's Avatar
SolarWind SolarWind is offline
Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,902
The Bentham - 146 W Erie

August 12, 2019





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15343  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:28 AM
SolarWind's Avatar
SolarWind SolarWind is offline
Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,902
300 N Michigan

August 12, 2019



A construction surveyor in the foreground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15344  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:37 AM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 315
^It needs some work on the first floor, but if this was in Fulton Market, it would be gobbled up like that!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15345  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:28 AM
dan ryan dan ryan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
The building is pretty mediocre at the pedestrian level though... certainly no better than what is going to replace it, in fact, the new building will be far more inviting and make the sidewalk feel less cramped
It's like what BrinChi said, the building now is pedestrian scale. How is an overwhelming pedestal more inviting or less cramped for the sidewalk?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15346  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 9:12 AM
Freefall Freefall is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 160
It's The Loop! We don't need 4 story buildings there because they make you feel comfortable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15347  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 12:15 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Phase 3 of Atrium Village/Old Town Park has its zoning app up. 41 floors (447 feet 2 inches), 456 units, 60 hotel rooms, 194 car parking spaces, and 185 bicycle storage spots. Some of the residential units would be shared living ("co living spaces"?).
Atrium Village Phase 3 lined up a new construction building permit for the foundation and floors 1 through underside of 6. Not sure how this works with a pending zoning app but at least they have this lined up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15348  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:10 PM
west-town-brad west-town-brad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
August 12, 2019



A construction surveyor in the foreground.
an irreplaceable piece of history.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15349  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:39 PM
killaviews's Avatar
killaviews killaviews is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 469
^^^ 300 N Michigan will be the 7th hotel on that triangle block. Just thought that was interesting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15350  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:58 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,305
725 W Randolph discussion moved to its dedicated thread: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=230232
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15351  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:28 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
^^^ 300 N Michigan will be the 7th hotel on that triangle block. Just thought that was interesting.
Who'da thought tourists would pay top dollar to stay right at the nexus of the Mag Mile, Millennium Park and the Riverwalk?

This is what we mean when we say "highest and best use".... clearly tourists place a higher value on this location than any other group, including Chicago residents (for residential) or employers (for office). So developers will make the most money building hotels.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15352  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:27 PM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ryan View Post
It's like what BrinChi said, the building now is pedestrian scale. How is an overwhelming pedestal more inviting or less cramped for the sidewalk?
Because compare the two buildings side by side and it's night and day... the new building will look nice, clean, and inviting. The one that is there now is out of place, dirty, and the first floor is ugly as sin while also being half windowless wall. A full glass base that can be lit up will make people fine with walking by there too. That building is the last part of Michigan Avenue north of Congress that isn't pleasant.

Pedestrian scale doesn't mean pedestrian friendly. Also, why do we want pedestrian scale in the middle of one of the largest CBDs in human history?
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15353  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:32 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
duplicate
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15354  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:32 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Who'da thought tourists would pay top dollar to stay right at the nexus of the Mag Mile, Millennium Park and the Riverwalk?

This is what we mean when we say "highest and best use".... clearly tourists place a higher value on this location than any other group, including Chicago residents (for residential) or employers (for office). So developers will make the most money building hotels.
This building is residential as well. I believe roughly 300 apartment units.

The new (built within the last few years anyway) 200 North Michigan, similar scale and 1 block due south (perhaps only just marginally less attractive as a hotel location - perhaps) is all residential. This is clearly a prime mixed-use area. I think you are wrong in your assessment that hotels are a higher and better use than residential at the 300 N Michigan location. I assess them to be pretty equal at the top. This does go against the heard mentality/group-think posture of urban real estate in general, in which typically a single use comes to dominate a particular district - or if not quite dominate, then at least become the clear preferred usage in new developments/redevelopments. However, there are some areas that are just fundamentally roughly equally appealing among 2 or 3 uses. That's definitely the case for the Millennium Park to River strip.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15355  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:39 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
^It needs some work on the first floor, but if this was in Fulton Market, it would be gobbled up like that!

Yes but that would also be in keeping with the character of Fulton Market. Also (not that land prices would not justify it, mind you, more so because of entitlement-related constraints), nobody is (generally - at least not as yet) putting up a 45 story tower on a smallish parcel in Fulton.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15356  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:47 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
For me, saving a facade on a building like 300 N Michigan isn't about preserving exemplary architecture, it's about preserving as much pre-automobile pedestrian scale as possible. I love the design of this building other than the blocking of Carbide & Carbon, but I will still vote preservation every time when a solid, human-scaled urban building like this is involved. Demolition is still too common.

Thanks, dan_ryan for the info from SB. It must have been too expensive to salvage.

I just think there needs to be a reasonable bar that must be exceeded to justify this type of facadectomy - both from the standpoint of public policy - and in terms of justified for a developer to weigh that option privately. This building is just not good enough to justify it. I don't think it's bad, but it would need to be better than not bad - or "old", or "pedestrian scaled".

It could be though that what needs to be done as part of the entitlement process is to incorporate a design review (I know, I know, Chicago doesn't do stuff like that......though who knows, maybe under the Lightfoot admin., the new DPD commissioner will push for instituting something) that would ensure a human-scaled design at street level (clearly this doesn't mean faux oldey-time Lagrange trash design, mind you).
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15357  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:10 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
^^^ 300 N Michigan will be the 7th hotel on that triangle block. Just thought that was interesting.
And hell for the poor guy who has to squeeze them onto the tourist maps.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15358  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 7:58 PM
BrinChi BrinChi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Because compare the two buildings side by side and it's night and day... the new building will look nice, clean, and inviting. The one that is there now is out of place, dirty, and the first floor is ugly as sin while also being half windowless wall. A full glass base that can be lit up will make people fine with walking by there too. That building is the last part of Michigan Avenue north of Congress that isn't pleasant.
And that's why developers get away with it. The current building is in such disrepair that most people, even design-conscious individuals like those on this forum, have a difficult time imagining a renovation that cleans, restores, and builds off of what is salvageable. But it's like throwing away an antique because it's all dusty from sitting in the attic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15359  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 8:02 PM
dan ryan dan ryan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I just think there needs to be a reasonable bar that must be exceeded to justify this type of facadectomy - both from the standpoint of public policy - and in terms of justified for a developer to weigh that option privately. This building is just not good enough to justify it. I don't think it's bad, but it would need to be better than not bad - or "old", or "pedestrian scaled".

It could be though that what needs to be done as part of the entitlement process is to incorporate a design review (I know, I know, Chicago doesn't do stuff like that......though who knows, maybe under the Lightfoot admin., the new DPD commissioner will push for instituting something) that would ensure a human-scaled design at street level (clearly this doesn't mean faux oldey-time Lagrange trash design, mind you).
Well said, Sam. What you're saying is really what I'm interested in. I'm not arguing for 4 story buildings throughout the loop. It just seems pretty clear to me that the ground level of 300 will not be inviting at all. At least with a facadectomy, you could beautify the ground level and make an inviting space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15360  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 8:39 PM
PittsburghPA PittsburghPA is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Loop, Chicago
Posts: 670
North crane of 845 W Madison is coming down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.