HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 11:33 AM

It's so Birminghamian to even ask whether the person who has brought the Senior PGA tour and World Cup soccer qualifiers to Birmingham is good for the city. You can criticize his attitude or the gap between his ambitions and accomplishments, but it's pretty dumb to think he's not been good for the city.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 11:42 AM
Witty comment fail

no, it's not Birminghamian... it's Neilsian...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 12:11 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio
no, it's not Birminghamian... it's Neilsian...
who isn't Birminghamian anyway...he's Huntsvillian...Madisonian to be exact (I think).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sandford
who isn't Birminghamian anyway...he's Huntsvillian...Madisonian to be exact (I think).
That's right; you have a good eye for details RS. And ready for some football on the Plains in a little over a week! WDE!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 1:05 PM

I think it is pretty typical of Birmingham to despise anyone who tries to exceed the city's low self-image. We're self-destructive that way.

Similarly, how many wins do you think the Tide would get credit for if the scoreboard weren't around to prove the naysayers wrong?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos
I think it is pretty typical of Birmingham to despise anyone who tries to exceed the city's low self-image. We're self-destructive that way.

Similarly, how many wins do you think the Tide would get credit for if the scoreboard weren't around to prove the naysayers wrong?
Richard Arrlington brought your city out of the dark ages, and even today most of the Power Brokers in the City think he did a great job.

He proved that Blacks can do it right in the city.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 3:17 PM

And yet, he is among the most reviled local figures in the metro area.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos
It's so Birminghamian to even ask whether the person who has brought the Senior PGA tour and World Cup soccer qualifiers to Birmingham is good for the city. You can criticize his attitude or the gap between his ambitions and accomplishments, but it's pretty dumb to think he's not been good for the city.
That's not what Neil Vickers says, and when I drive through B'ham, 960 WERC is all that I'll listen to, and that includes their flagship program that I listen to up here: Finebaum.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 4:58 PM
Witty comment fail

well see, there's your problem right there.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 5:13 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson
That's not what Neil Vickers says, and when I drive through B'ham, 960 WERC is all that I'll listen to, and that includes their flagship program that I listen to up here: Finebaum.
are you sick? Nothing positive is gained from listening to that "show"
He is a big negative for B'ham

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio
well see, there's your problem right there.
What's your problem with Vickers?

He tells it like it is; I understand the Finebaum-hating, and the Shane Corn Hating, but Neil?

Come on.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 6:33 PM

If you think Hallman's been bad for Birmingham, lay it out for us.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 7:37 PM

Vickers? Hmmm..., let's see.

From a professional standpoint, he is a miserable excuse for a radio news reporter, particularly at a major news/talk station in a city of 1 million. His delivery is absolutely horrible. Listen to the news breaks at the top and bottom of the the hour, and count the vocal pauses, mispronunciations, and mistakes in delivery. Technically speaking, the quality of the copy he reads is worse than you would see in most college intermediate-level journalism classes. I'm not sure whether Vickers writes his own copy, but if so, he is incompetent as a writer.

Finally, his purpose on the Finebaum show is simply to take the devil's advocate point of view in order to piss off the reasonable minds in the public (generating calls). I'm not even Catholic, but I found his comments regarding the new Pope absolutely disgusting. He essentially stated that young Ratzinger, 14 at the time, should have chosen to be executed by the Nazis rather than serve in the Hitler youth. That's pretty pathetic Monday morning quarterbacking if you ask me.

And the list of his unreasonable stances and absolutist, black-and-white opinions goes on, and on, and on, and on...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHM_dx
Vickers? Hmmm..., let's see.

From a professional standpoint, he is a miserable excuse for a radio news reporter, particularly at a major news/talk station in a city of 1 million. His delivery is absolutely horrible. Listen to the news breaks at the top and bottom of the the hour, and count the vocal pauses, mispronunciations, and mistakes in delivery. Technically speaking, the quality of the copy he reads is worse than you would see in most college intermediate-level journalism classes. I'm not sure whether Vickers writes his own copy, but if so, he is incompetent as a writer.

Finally, his purpose on the Finebaum show is simply to take the devil's advocate point of view in order to piss off the reasonable minds in the public (generating calls). I'm not even Catholic, but I found his comments regarding the new Pope absolutely disgusting. He essentially stated that young Ratzinger, 14 at the time, should have chosen to be executed by the Nazis rather than serve in the Hitler youth. That's pretty pathetic Monday morning quarterbacking if you ask me.

And the list of his unreasonable stances and absolutist, black-and-white opinions goes on, and on, and on, and on...
I'm Catholic too, and I wasn't too offended by it, simply because I understand that if Neil weren't there, then there would be no Devil's Advocate to keep Paul and Shane from Centerpoint and Jim from Tuscaloosa and I-Man or Bobby in Check.

Vickers is like the Tums to maintain stability on the show. And before you discuss the Dog-Killing incident, understand that if a wild animal is going after your sheep or cows or anything, you'd do what you had to in order to protect your livestock and property.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 7:56 PM
America's Mars Rocket

the best way to keep in check is turn the crap off.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 8:00 PM

Apparently you ignored the first full paragraph of my post. First and foremost, Vickers is employed by WERC to report the news. His schtick on the Finebaum show is simply a side show, and though I generally find his opinions disgusting, I don't pay much attention to them.

Ignoring the Finebaum aspect, he is incompetent as a radio journalist. He is in way over his head on a major news/talk station.

And it's not that he occastionally butchers a story or sometimes slips up. It's a problem each and every time he delivers the news, which is simply unacceptable at that level. And that ignores the fact that the quality of the news he reads is beginner-level. Most sophomore level journalism classes, at least at Alabama (my only frame of reference), require far greater skill than Vickers brings to the table.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 8:11 PM

Segwaying from this.....

Did anyone see Two-A-Day last night on MTV, and how do you think it portrayed Hoover High's Football Program and the city as a whole? It's reairing right now if anyone is near a TV and wants to tune into the last half of the show.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 8:49 PM
Red October standing by

^ i want to see it. i'll probably wait for tomorrow night's reairing. it looks more interesting than 100% of what's on MTV...as in, while they may be in preppy suburban land, they're not bling bling bling kids, and they're at least working on something besides blowing daddy's $$$.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 1:56 PM

Does anyone else in this group pay attention to the Mobile postings? It seems that Mobile is in line for a possible $3 Billion industrial plant by ThyssenKrupp (?sp?). The Governor has frozen spending from the Katrina-related GO zone account to have money available for an incentives package. The final word on whether it goes to Mobile (or one of two other sites being considered) is expected within 60 days. There is also a possibility floating around that Mobile is going to get a regional headquarters of a major multinational company that will bring about 1000 corporate jobs. Finally, Mobile is the site selected by EADS for a major aeronautical assembly plant, if EADS wins a major air force bid. The point of all this is --- Mobile seems to have things going on, and Birmingham seems a bit stagnant. I know that we had Mercedes and Honda locate here, but it seems to me that the more recent storyline is that more firms are leaving Bham than moving in. (Think Torchmark, SouthTrust, CareMark, etc.) Any thoughts on why Birmingham seems to be stuck in a rut lately?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 2:26 PM

Go Mobile!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast