Five World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 2:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Since it's part of the WTC, a lot of the zoning regulations don't apply, so anything goes as far as use or bulk. However, whatever is eventually built will probably be limited to around 700' in keeping with the masterplan.
I believe its supposed to be an 800 footer, but even mixed-use could push it up a bit, closer to tower 4 in height. I do expect that it will be a largely commercial tower, mainly for someone who wants a headquarters Downtown, just not the large towers 2 and 3. The Port Autority would like a mixed-use, Time Warner Center-like development.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 6:18 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110331/down...sche-bank-site

Plaza for Tourists Will Rise on Deutsche Bank Site
An $800,000 plaza for tourists is scheduled to open at the Deutsche Bank site in September

A conceptual rendering of the welcome plaza for tourists at the site of the former Deutsche Bank building. (Gertler and Wente Architects LLP)

March 31, 2011
By Julie Shapiro

Quote:
The construction pit where the Deutsche Bank building used to stand won't remain empty for long.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corp. plans to turn the site into a gathering space for tourists visiting the 9/11 memorial, which is opening this fall. On Thursday morning, the LMDC board voted to allocate $800,000 to build a concrete plaza to welcome the tourists and distribute tickets to the memorial.

Without the plaza, there could be a bottleneck at the entrance to the memorial on West Street, said Joe Daniels, president of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

"This area is critical to ensuring a smooth flow of visitors that does not impact the surrounding streets and sidewalks," Daniels said.

The plaza will likely be in place for several years, until the construction around the memorial finishes and the Trade Center site fully opens to the public.

The LMDC initially planned to construct the new plaza itself, but board member Julie Menin raised objections, citing the LMDC's inexperience in construction. The LMDC now hopes that either the 9/11 memorial foundation or the Port Authority will build the plaza.

The concrete platform will be at street level, surrounded by a fence, so it will not have views into the World Trade Center site. It will only be open to visitors who have reserved timed tickets to the memorial.

Daniels said the goal is to open the plaza on Sept. 12, the first day the 9/11 memorial opens to the public.

The plaza sits on the site of the future Tower 5, which has been put on hold for the foreseeable future because of low demand for new office space.

Avi Schick, chairman of the LMDC, said he was glad the site could begin serving the public now.

"To have people use [the site] in a productive way is a wonderful thing," he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 7:25 PM

I think that's rather dissapointing. It would have been nice to have an 800 foot tower rise there and really fill out the site

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 7:47 PM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
I think that's rather dissapointing. It would have been nice to have an 800 foot tower rise there and really fill out the site
Haha, that is exactly what I said in the WTC memorial thread.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 9:52 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
It will happen, it just might take a while. After all, it took 15 years from completion of the Twin Towers to Larry Silverstein building the first Tower 7.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:47 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quite a contrast with the first proposal from JPMorgan Chase from a few years ago.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:48 PM
New Yorker for life

APRIL 3, 2011

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 3:11 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110412/down...-bank-building

Green Lake Replaces Deutsche Bank Building
The Port Authority is using the pool of water to maintain a balance of pressure at the Deutsche Bank site.

April 12, 2011
By Julie Shapiro

Quote:

A large green lake is filling the void left by the former Deutsche Bank building.

The Port Authority purposefully flooded the downtown construction site recently because without the weight of the former 41-story building, the ground at 130 Liberty St. was in danger of heaving up above street level, officials said.

The Deutsche Bank building rested on landfill, which in turn sits on a layer of groundwater that exerts an upward pressure, said Quentin Brathwaite, director of World Trade Center construction for the Port Authority.

The Port Authority is building new foundation walls to permanently keep the groundwater back, but in the meantime, the agency is using the 60-by-160 foot pool of water to keep the pressure in balance.

"The building provided opposite forces [to counteract the upward pressure]," Brathwaite told Community Board 1 Monday. "Now that the building is no longer there, we have to [create] opposite forces with water."

Residents near the site noticed the pool of water about two weeks ago and worried it would breed mosquitoes in the summer.

Glenn Guzi, a program director for the Port Authority, reassured CB1 that the Port is putting chemicals in the water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding there.

The reason the water is green is not because of the chemicals but because of natural lime in the ground, Guzi said.

The water will remain in place until the Port finishes building the site's foundation walls, likely by the end of July, a Port spokesman said.

The Port Authority is now working round-the-clock to excavate the site and build the foundation walls, to prevent the planned underground parking garage there from falling behind schedule.

The Port is putting in 19-hour days on the project, after the long-delayed Deutsche Bank demolition stretched the Port's original timeline, Guzi said.

Guzi said the underground garage will open in 2013 as long as the Port continues working from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Pat Moore, a CB1 member whose Cedar Street apartment overlooks the World Trade Center site, said she is exhausted by the constant beeping of truck backup alarms and pounding of giant jackhammers, called hoe rams.

"We've lived with all kinds of noise for the past five years," Moore said. "It really does wear on you."

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Jonathan_Hawkins

Staring down into the watery pit from the Freedom Tower...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 3:13 PM
BANNED

Will a park be located on the site of the hole on West Street just north of 90 West? That appears to be the case.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 3:09 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I believe its supposed to be an 800 footer, but even mixed-use could push it up a bit, closer to tower 4 in height. I do expect that it will be a largely commercial tower, mainly for someone who wants a headquarters Downtown, just not the large towers 2 and 3. The Port Autority would like a mixed-use, Time Warner Center-like development.

I'd be totally fine with an 800+ foot building, but am I the only one who thinks the spiral plan is a bit silly? Personally I think it should be scrapped and Tower 5 be taller than at least tower 4

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Will a park be located on the site of the hole on West Street just north of 90 West? That appears to be the case.
A park, and also the Greek Orthodox church.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:47 PM
BANNED

I hope the PAC is still on. It would be fantastic if the design was equally stunning and innovative as the adjacent transit hub.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I'd be totally fine with an 800+ foot building, but am I the only one who thinks the spiral plan is a bit silly? Personally I think it should be scrapped and Tower 5 be taller than at least tower 4
The spire plan really does look visually pleasing to the eye IMO, making the Lower Manhattan Skyline appear more mountainous as it did prior to the 1960s.

The only other reason this tower would exceed its 800 foot height realistically was if there were tenants lined up, or demand for space was high, which it is not right now. (at least when it comes to banks lending out money). I simply hope for something architecturally pleasing as opposed to the massing models we've seen.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
I simply hope for something architecturally pleasing as opposed to the massing models we've seen.
This building could move in many directions. The Port Authority is considering a mixed-use tower. But if there were interest in a single, headquarters tower, they would go with that. Whatever it takes to get it built, because they want to be done with the site. I can understand that, but I also believe the site should be reserved for office.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 2:11 PM

this is off topic, but is there a 6 World Trade Centre? there is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 but i can't find a building will be 6.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 2:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
this is off topic, but is there a 6 World Trade Centre? there is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 but i can't find a building will be 6.
There are other buildings that have no designations as of yet.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There are other buildings that have no designations as of yet.
okay, but it won't be a skyscraper like the other ones,

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 4:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
okay, but it won't be a skyscraper like the other ones,
Not likely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals