HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Abitibi having two teams makes things easier for travelling teams. Things would be more difficult if only one team existed that far north, but having two makes the trip a bit more bearable.

T-R could probably support a team with the others nearby but i'm not sure how much of an impact it would have on Shawinigan. They're very close to each other and I fear it's an either/or scenario. There seems to be rumours that the Growlers are leaving NL after 19-20 so it would make sense for them to end up in T-R.
Growlers owner Derm MacDonald tourned the Trois-Rivieres arena construction site in August as a potential landing site for the Growlers who have been unable to secure a satisfactory deal with the city of St. John's for Mile One Centre. The city successfully bled the Fog Devils dry and forced them out. The Growlers, who have overlapping owners with the Edge basketball team, have even pitched buying the arena from the city but that didn't get anywhere either.

There is a press conference on Tuesday in St. John's regarding the future of the team. Rumours have covered the spectrum: 1) deal is reached and this is a smoke show to surprise fans; 2) the team is playing one year in St. John's and leaving for Trois-Riviere; 3) they're going to barnstorm around Newfoundland for the year, not unlike the AHL Maple Leafs did in '93 when the city of St. John's went on strike (little known fact: Stephenville Gardens held the record for largest attendance at a St. John's Maple Leafs 'Home' game until Mile One opened, that old barn was absolutely massive)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 4:13 PM

I don't know how the economics of major junior work for a team in St John's anyway when your closest rival is 1000km, by road and ferry. I laugh when I hear the London Knights talking about the dreaded once a year eastern or northern roadtrip that's a 6 hour bus ride (and sometimes they fly lol).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 6:33 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I don't know how the economics of major junior work for a team in St John's anyway when your closest rival is 1000km, by road and ferry.
They don't work.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 6:48 PM

Considering the revolving door of hockey tenants over the years at Mile One, I'd say that there is definitely something to your assertion.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 6:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
They don't work.
Mile One needs a tenant. The City of St. John's should not be playing financial hardball with their tenants. They should just be grateful that there is someone interested.

The economics just don't work at all.

The killer for the QMJHL was that visiting teams expected their travel costs to St. John's to be covered by the Fog Devils! How crazy is that!!!!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Mile One needs a tenant. The City of St. John's should not be playing financial hardball with their tenants. They should just be grateful that there is someone interested.

The economics just don't work at all.

The killer for the QMJHL was that visiting teams expected their travel costs to St. John's to be covered by the Fog Devils! How crazy is that!!!!
The city should look at how much it has to subsidize the arena when their isn't a main tenant, versus the loss when there is one, and be willing to bridge the difference. Clearly a benefit to the town if there is a tenant that draws people. This is what changed Calgary's mentality in the 90s - a report estimating the cost to the city of maintaining the arena without a tenant, just shy of $10 million a year at the time iirc.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:06 PM

Some pics of Quebec's arena by Stéphane Groleau:

https://www.facebook.com/Stephane.Gr...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Centre Videotron in Quebec City and the Avenir Centre in Moncton - two of the finest CHL arenas in the entire country.

Here's hoping that the Gods smile on QC and bequeath the city an NHL team sometime in the next 10 years..........

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:01 PM

Well Done QMJHL

My favourite newer arenas in the Western Hockey League in the CHL with 18,000 to 19,000 seat range would be:

In the half NHL sized arenas in the 5,000 to 8,000 like (Centre Avenir), I'd pick these two WHL arenas: (I could be biased though too)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:15 PM

Budweiser Gardens London with the replica Victorian streetscape that was there before the arena was built.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:22 PM

The new WHL barns really do look like scaled down NHL rinks. It makes me wonder how long before we start hearing chatter about Brandon replacing its nearly 50 year old, 5,102 seat arena with something new... I'd love to see something new go up in downtown Brandon.

Here's the current one in Brandon:

And for what it's worth, the Winnipeg Ice are starting to work on a new WHL arena just outside Winnipeg's southwestern city limits. It is scheduled for completion in time for the 2021-22 hockey season.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

And for what it's worth, the Winnipeg Ice are starting to work on a new WHL arena just outside Winnipeg's southwestern city limits. It is scheduled for completion in time for the 2021-22 hockey season.
Any idea of the seating capacity and who will pay?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:29 PM

Also, not about Canadian arenas specifically, but here is an article talking about a couple of major arena projects coming down the pike in Europe, including a Frankfurt project with an Edmonton connection:

https://www.iihf.com/en/news/13546/t...nas-are-coming

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
The new WHL barns really do look like scaled down NHL rinks. It makes me wonder how long before we start hearing chatter about Brandon replacing its nearly 50 year old, 5,102 seat arena with something new... I'd love to see something new go up in downtown Brandon.
As much as I would like to agree with you Esquire, I have a feeling that a new arena will go up on the same site. The hockey rink is an integral part of the agricultural complex.

Just to confirm that I'm old as dirt, I remember playing in the Keystone Centre construction site during the summer fair (you used to be able to do things like that back in the day!) I also remember the old Wheat City Arena when it was on Victoria Avenue. What a beautiful old barn it was but like everything else, it seemed a lot bigger back then!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:59 PM

^ Very cool, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it before.

Yeah, I agree that a replacement for the Keystone would probably end up there, for two reasons. One being the one you mentioned, that it's an integral part of the convention/fair complex. Second, Brandonites pretty well hate their downtown and would not be keen on having to go there for hockey games and other events.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:21 PM

Prince Albert Saskatchewan's Art Hauser Centre at 50 years old & ~3,300 capacity for hockey, is currently by far one of the two oldest & smallest arenas in the WHL...after once Winnipeg builds their new WHL arena.

Prince Albert is making plans to build a new arena though.

Estimate is for $120 million will be used to build a new Prince Albert facility.

https://citypa.ca/City-Hall/City-Ope...reation-Centre

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:36 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Any idea of the seating capacity and who will pay?
I think it’s going to seat around 5,000 and is privately financed.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I think it’s going to seat around 5,000 and is privately financed.
So I gather in order for it to be viable financially it will also be quite busy with revenue-generating non-WHL activities of all kinds?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So I gather in order for it to be viable financially it will also be quite busy with revenue-generating non-WHL activities of all kinds?
Just speculating here, but but I think the non-WHL activities there will be mainly in the form of other types of hockey (ice rentals, development programs, etc.). The arena will be part of The Rink's complex and they already run a huge array of hockey programs for all levels.

Also, the location is way out in the SW corner of the city somewhat removed from the rest of the city, and I think the existing players have a pretty solid lock on the local entertainment market. I can imagine the occasional concert or other sports event taking place there (a boxing card, let's say), but I'd be pretty surprised if they started regularly booking concerts and what not at the new WHL rink.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Just speculating here, but but I think the non-WHL activities there will be mainly in the form of other types of hockey (ice rentals, development programs, etc.). The arena will be part of The Rink's complex and they already run a huge array of hockey programs for all levels.

Also, the location is way out in the SW corner of the city somewhat removed from the rest of the city, and I think the existing players have a pretty solid lock on the local entertainment market. I can imagine the occasional concert or other sports event taking place there (a boxing card, let's say), but I'd be pretty surprised if they started regularly booking concerts and what not at the new WHL rink.
OK. As you may know they're building a similarly-sized CHL rink near my place, but it also includes three indoor community ice pads (so a total of four arenas) and a fairly large parking garage. The total project cost is more than 100 million dollars. This will be city-owned but it's being done through a build-operate agreement with a local not-for-profit outfit that specializes in sports facilities. Former NHLer Daniel Brière, who grew up just around the corner from me, is one of the organization's financial backers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada