HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 11:15 PM
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundertubs View Post
I'd go so far as to call Jersey City (or really all of Hudson County) the real 5th Borough. Staten Island, although a decent place, is much less a part of the city than Hudson Co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMaster View Post
Well, you know what some people say, Staten Island should probably be exchanged for JC/HC.
This is what's up.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 6:29 PM

^I've been saying that for the longest....

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 7:27 PM

Can we have a moratorium on any use of the phrase "the 6th borough" on the forum? Thanks.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 7:38 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Amazing set! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 8:03 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Can we have a moratorium on any use of the phrase "the 6th borough" on the forum? Thanks.
and if we could also have a moratorium on calling S.I. the 5th borough...

whoops did i say that?

nice jc thread -- it sure is booming with development along the waterfront over there. and that newark ave little india shot is making me hungry. maybe this will be motivation for me to go over and explore the embankment, a jc highline-type park that the city may develop:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/re...te/07njzo.html
http://www.thehighline.org/blog/2009...the-embankment

and to answer your question, i have usually heard hoboken or dade county referred to as the "6th borough," although to tell you the truth you don't really hear that term used so much anymore.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
I really like this with Manhattan in the distance. Nice work! Both times I've been to NYC I wanted to make the trek into Jersey. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance.
You should do it. Take the PATH, then connect with NJT. It's not NYC but the views are amazing.

As far as the "6th" I'd say it's more a suburb but Long Island City and portions of Queens look that too.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 3:36 AM

IFEELDOPE ! Thanks for posting pics of the city I was born in! I haven't been there since the late 1980s but these pics bring back strong memories! Gritty, Gritty, Jersey City!
PS: You should do a thread of the other cities I was raised in Hudson County which were Union City & West New York! They are just as gritty too!

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
and if we could also have a moratorium on calling S.I. the 5th borough...
Deal.

I've lived in the city for 7 years and have never once set foot on Staten Island. It is by far the most useless borough.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 12:56 AM

JC is a city of NJ, suburb, borough, and alternative TO NOTHING! It has its own distinction and vibe and culture. So please stop listening to the transplants that can't afford ny and try to find an excuse for them to call themselves a ny'er. We are 2 different places and and REAL JC residents don't want to be a part of ny. Call YOUR city (whatever it may be) the 6th borough but JC is NOT THE 6th BOROUGH!!!!! Thanks for the amazing pics but don't ever ask that question again, it is a stupid question

and i do agree that the chick in the pic is sexy.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferm201 View Post
JC is a city of NJ, suburb, borough, and alternative TO NOTHING! It has its own distinction and vibe and culture. So please stop listening to the transplants that can't afford ny and try to find an excuse for them to call themselves a ny'er. We are 2 different places and and REAL JC residents don't want to be a part of ny. Call YOUR city (whatever it may be) the 6th borough but JC is NOT THE 6th BOROUGH!!!!! Thanks for the amazing pics but don't ever ask that question again, it is a stupid question
wow dude...I'm curious, did I write anything about it's culture or vibe? did I say anything about JC trying to be part of NYC? No no, I'm pretty sure I didn't, in fact I think I had clearly said the question is hypothetical. I was just curious about others opinions. So before you speak for all of JC and before you post such an asshole response, try reading my opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
nice jc thread -- it sure is booming with development along the waterfront over there. and that newark ave little india shot is making me hungry. maybe this will be motivation for me to go over and explore the embankment, a jc highline-type park that the city may develop:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/re...te/07njzo.html
http://www.thehighline.org/blog/2009...the-embankment
Thanks for posting this up. I read the first article when it came out, but I havn't heard much since then. I did find this though.
http://www.jerseycityindependent.com...ycs-high-line/
Hopefully they utilize the area well. A highline style park would look awesome on the embankment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
IFEELDOPE ! Thanks for posting pics of the city I was born in! I haven't been there since the late 1980s but these pics bring back strong memories! Gritty, Gritty, Jersey City!
PS: You should do a thread of the other cities I was raised in Hudson County which were Union City & West New York! They are just as gritty too!
I'm really glad you liked the photos. In time I will defiantly have another JC thread and a thread that covers the rest of Hudson County. Among the NJ threads that I will have out shortly are Newark, New Brunswick, Trenton, Camden, and Atlantic City. I also might do small towns of Central Jersey and Jersey Shore thread.

Just wanted to give a heads up that I had just got back from Las Vegas and San Francisco and I have accumulated many photos to post up.

Last edited by ifeeldope9779; May 25, 2011 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:19 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Excellent photos! 6th borough? Naw, this city can stand alone!

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:55 AM

I forgot to say how much I loved this set. I'm lovin' all of your sets ifeeldope!

and seriously people the hudson is not that big.....

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 7:06 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

A dirty bird & beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 9:38 PM
Everywhere all at once

You know, I like Jersey City a lot, but I agree it should stand alone. It has a lot going for it as it's own city. The notion of making it a borough is more complicated than you all seem to think considering it isn't even part of New York State. Talk about a pipe dream.

I'm pretty disgusted by all of you saying the Staten Island should be dropped or that it's useless or blah blah blah...just because SI doesn't fit the notion of what all of you think New York is, doesn't make it useless or unimportant. How can you say it's useless if you've never been there 10023? You don't even know what's here, and you aren't even from New York originally.

I happen to think that our being different than the rest of the city is very New York. After all, this is a city of variety, of all types, a melting pot. That notion should span beyond different cultures and backgrounds, and be applied to people from different parts of the city as well. Many people would argue that Manhattan is the least New York borough because so many of it's residents are non-native, but I wouldn't even agree with that because it would contradict what I just said. But some people would say that...

In a nutshell, what pisses me off about all your attitudes towards SI is that those very views are what keeps us from getting real respect as a part of the city, as well as vital services and investments that we need. One might think the mayor feels the same way as you all. It's ignorant.

That's all I have to say.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:40 AM

Great, well balanced thread. I say let Jersey City be Jersey City, NJ. And they have dosas, What's not to like?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
You know, I like Jersey City a lot, but I agree it should stand alone. It has a lot going for it as it's own city. The notion of making it a borough is more complicated than you all seem to think considering it isn't even part of New York State. Talk about a pipe dream.

I'm pretty disgusted by all of you saying the Staten Island should be dropped or that it's useless or blah blah blah...just because SI doesn't fit the notion of what all of you think New York is, doesn't make it useless or unimportant. How can you say it's useless if you've never been there 10023? You don't even know what's here, and you aren't even from New York originally.

I happen to think that our being different than the rest of the city is very New York. After all, this is a city of variety, of all types, a melting pot. That notion should span beyond different cultures and backgrounds, and be applied to people from different parts of the city as well. Many people would argue that Manhattan is the least New York borough because so many of it's residents are non-native, but I wouldn't even agree with that because it would contradict what I just said. But some people would say that...

In a nutshell, what pisses me off about all your attitudes towards SI is that those very views are what keeps us from getting real respect as a part of the city, as well as vital services and investments that we need. One might think the mayor feels the same way as you all. It's ignorant.

That's all I have to say.
Wow, someone didn't read the disclaimer . Anyway, people don't care much for Staten Island and view it as useless or not fitting the city's image because it is so unconnected and very anti-urban for the most part. Where as Hudson county is built up and linked right to the heart of New York. The only reason why it didn't become a part of the city is pure politics....

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:36 AM

well im origanly from nyc born in manhatten lower east sideand now i live in brooklyn and honostly i think jersey city is a wanabe version of manhatten never liked the entire state of nj

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 8:10 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by gueydejalisco View Post
well im origanly from nyc born in manhatten lower east sideand now i live in brooklyn and honostly i think jersey city is a wanabe version of manhatten never liked the entire state of nj
there is no reason any american should have english writing skills this appalling. absolutely unforgivable.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos