HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Great thread. It makes me feel like I am there. I like the addition of people shots to your repitoire, it really helps paint the picture of a place, you can only do so much with shots of buildings, and other inanimate objects.
Thanks. I know what you mean about adding in all the people. It makes the whole thread come to life when you seeing people actually living. I have a strange mix of characters here too.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 12:55 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
awesomeness indeed. that concert looks like fun.

love this shot

-
you would have loved the concert. there were enough nerds there to start an IT company. But devo was awesome. seriously tight band. plus they had synths that were so old that they had actual wood grain casing.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Thanks. I know what you mean about adding in all the people. It makes the whole thread come to life when you seeing people actually living. I have a strange mix of characters here too.
Recently, I tried adding more people, too. It does bring life. A bit scary as some people don't like it. Recently, I spent a couple of days taking pictures in a tough neighborhood and didn't get many people pictures. The people were suspicious of me. Talking about me & pointing. And when a group of guys starting following me, I left. I can understand. They probably wondered what I was up to and not accustomed to seeing photographers unlike people downtown that are used to tourists.

Your people pictures are amazing. I have a lot to learn about taking people pics (and in general!)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:21 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Recently, I tried adding more people, too. It does bring life. A bit scary as some people don't like it. Recently, I spent a couple of days taking pictures in a tough neighborhood and didn't get many people pictures. The people were suspicious of me. Talking about me & pointing. And when a group of guys starting following me, I left. I can understand. They probably wondered what I was up to and not accustomed to seeing photographers unlike people downtown that are used to tourists.

Your people pictures are amazing. I have a lot to learn about taking people pics (and in general!)
yeah i noticed some more people popping up in your last thread. couple pieces of advise. get a really long range zoom. i have a 200mm. this helps get nice candids. but be careful of your surroundings and who you are taking pictures of. even in downtown areas people sometimes do not like their picture being taken. This happened to me while I was taking some of these downtown pics except it wasnt some guy, it was some sheriffs. But dont sweat that too much but watch your p's and q's. also just go up and ask people to pose for a picture. there are lots of people who like that and if they dont then just move along.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:48 PM

^ Good advice. Thanks. It occurs to me that I need to invest in some better gear. Honestly, I didn't realize I had this interest in photography until a couple of months ago. I have always taken pics of buildings/streetscapes for my own documentation, but creating something worthy of sharing with others is a new interest for me. Finding myself obsessed with it! Time to save for new equipment, including zoom.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:54 PM
Ex Houstonian

Ill be back in Houston hopefully permanently in about 4 weeks!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 12:53 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
^ Good advice. Thanks. It occurs to me that I need to invest in some better gear. Honestly, I didn't realize I had this interest in photography until a couple of months ago. I have always taken pics of buildings/streetscapes for my own documentation, but creating something worthy of sharing with others is a new interest for me. Finding myself obsessed with it! Time to save for new equipment, including zoom.
it can sneak up on you. ive only been doing this for about 2 years now but I really love it alot. Ive meet lots of cool people on the streets and online because of it. Plus I won 2nd place in a photo contest a couple weeks ago. got a bunch of gift cards.

but anyway, yeah get a zoom. there hella fun and add a whole new dimension to your creativity. before i got mine i just trolled ebay for weeks figuring out what i wanted and what the average cost was then went in and snatched up what i wanted.

do you shoot with a dslr expat?

My Book

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Ill be back in Houston hopefully permanently in about 4 weeks!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait!
cool. should be a good summer.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
it can sneak up on you. ive only been doing this for about 2 years now but I really love it alot. Ive meet lots of cool people on the streets and online because of it. Plus I won 2nd place in a photo contest a couple weeks ago. got a bunch of gift cards.

but anyway, yeah get a zoom. there hella fun and add a whole new dimension to your creativity. before i got mine i just trolled ebay for weeks figuring out what i wanted and what the average cost was then went in and snatched up what i wanted.

do you shoot with a dslr expat?
Diskojoe, I have two old cameras. Both point & shoot. Both hand-me-downs. The Canon PowerShot SD900 is literally taped together. It had been in my junk drawer for a few years and given up for dead. Turns out it just needed a memory card. The other is a Fujifilm FinePix S700 which has a better zoom. It dates all pictures in 2007. Perhaps that is when my niece bought it.

The thing is, I don't know where to start in making an upgrade. Honestly, I am overwhelmed with the options out there. I need to educate myself and don't want to make rash decisions.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 12:44 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Diskojoe, I have two old cameras. Both point & shoot. Both hand-me-downs. The Canon PowerShot SD900 is literally taped together. It had been in my junk drawer for a few years and given up for dead. Turns out it just needed a memory card. The other is a Fujifilm FinePix S700 which has a better zoom. It dates all pictures in 2007. Perhaps that is when my niece bought it.

The thing is, I don't know where to start in making an upgrade. Honestly, I am overwhelmed with the options out there. I need to educate myself and don't want to make rash decisions.
you just have to pick what type of motor you want: canon, nikon or sony. there are other brands but they are either too expensive or to cheap a build. any of these three are a nice way to go. alot of people on here use canon or nikon. personally, i use sony. i like the sony cause its cheap and you can find lenses cheaper since it can use about 4 or 5 different types of lenses. So just save up for the basic kit you want then get lens upgrades later when you understand more about what you want.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 1:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think what you are saying will help me make a decision. Thanks for the link - that is cheap! Much cheaper than I expected to spend. Hmmm......

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 1:25 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I think what you are saying will help me make a decision. Thanks for the link - that is cheap! Much cheaper than I expected to spend. Hmmm......
it was a lot cheaper then i expected too but its a solid camera.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:07 PM
3rd Coast King

give this one a bump to stick it by the new thread.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 2:41 PM
So very tired...

Great pics. Agree with sabotai, the 'Wald Sepco' shot really stands out for me.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:52 PM
3rd Coast King

thanks.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 9:39 AM
Just add water

Great street photography!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 6:21 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post
Great street photography!
Thanks. Ive been real into street stuff lately. Im fascinated by the people.

My Book

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos