HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 9:28 PM
shozbot!

I had wondered if the orange panels were even still in the plans. I'm curious how this will look, once a few floors have these installed, as far as the overall appearance.

Here's the latest construction update from the Mirabella site, (Nov 16th) :

http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/p...009/111609.htm

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 11:06 PM

I didn't snap any shots today, too grey and rainy. There's only 1 orange balcony alcove completed so far, probably as a test, but I'll take some pics when they finish more of them. The orange color is very similar to the color of the crane, btw.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 11:47 PM

orange/terracotta CCP at the balcony alcoves

It looks like this color too will really change appearance depending on the light and angle. Notice how much darker pumpkin/burnt orange it appears when in the late Fall afternoon sun.

looking northwest more into the sun:

looking northeast with the late afternoon sun on the building, about 20 minutes later:

^ Notice the lower balcony received a black metal finish/trim edge, which helps disguise the bolt-on posts a bit better.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 12:14 AM

Matisse update 11.24.09

^actually I realized I like how these glass curtain walls look, as above, BEFORE they put the outside finish/trim on it. The glass has a sleeker, more flush look to it. When they add the trim it looks much more generic and boring. (imo)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowat View Post
^actually I realized I like how these glass curtain walls look, as above, BEFORE they put the outside finish/trim on it. The glass has a sleeker, more flush look to it. When they add the trim it looks much more generic and boring. (imo)
As it currently sits, the glass is held in with temporary clips. At this stage it tends to look a lot like structural silicone glazing. I agree it looks good that way, but the full term bars and caps need to be installed to keep the system water tight. I felt the same way about the Cyan/PDX when the ground floor curtain wall was being installed.

It's too bad structural silicone is so expensive, I'd love to see more of it in town.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:48 AM
momentum

site installed structurally glazed curtainwall actually does not look so good. I believe the Meriwether has some, and it looks goopy. The real way is to unitize it like OHSU - CHH, or just accept the fact of the cap and make something of it. I think the architect did a fair job though flushing out the upper windows with the metal panel - at times that can look horrible with flashing sticking out etc.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 3:02 AM

Pumpkin Patches

Well, forget pink posies on the balcony. The orange will take some getting used to up close, but will probably be a good zippy addition to the overall look of the community. Thanks for the pics, Sowat.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 5:57 AM

▲▲ I like the orange....nice contrast with "all that blue"....

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:06 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

There are a huge number of windows in this building. Detailing is looking great, too.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:15 AM

Mirabella Construction from Cronked

Thanks to Cronked for allowing me to photograph the Mirabella. I forgot, was late, forgot part of my tripod, but Cronked was very patient. Thank you.

You are not able to zoom in as much as usual because I did not realize a good critical focus and I was shooting at f7.1 @ ISO 2000

Last edited by Castillonis; Nov 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:56 AM
shozbot!

^^ Wow! Nice shots on a beautiful day, sowat! The orange sure blends in with the season.
Castillonis, I've really zoomed in a lot with your shot, and the detail is amazing! One can really see how the building is coming together, as well as the park.....right down to the adult size teeter-totters by the fountain! (I know, I know...)
Thanks again for updating all of us with these great pics. It's almost as nice as when my wife and I pick a sunny afternoon for a SOWA stroll!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 5:22 PM

Thanks, Castillonis, for this photo. Readers: don't use the zoom on your computer. Click on the image itself, which takes you to another program and allows you to zoom with profound clarity. I particularly enjoyed touring the park--this is an incredibly well designed urban park.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 6:50 PM

IMO, this came out much better than the renderings.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 12:42 AM

I'd like to see a reappraisal of South Waterfront so far and figure out some creative way to work with developers (Prometheus if they don't sell, W+D, whoever else) to come up with different height limits for every block: partly because a mix of heights would lend the area a more organic feel, and partly because I just like the mid-rise human-scale contrast this building, in particular, offers in relation to the towers. More mid-rise, please, and I'm not just talking about sidecars.

I also would like to see the warehouses across the street to the west of this block get saved and re-used. They are architecturally interesting and also have historic value in such a history-less area.

Agree with Sioux612: much better than expected. I hope the veteran's housing gets going soon.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 10:27 PM

a couple of quick shots on my way to the Daily Café

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 3:34 AM

from today's E-current newsletter (a little late):

South Waterfront Code & Design Guideline Update Project

The City Council will hold a public hearing to receive testimony on the South Waterfront Code & Design Guideline Update Project. This project is a legislative planning effort that updates the Zoning Code and South Waterfront Design Guidelines to allow implementation of the South Waterfront Greenway Development Plan. The project also proposes zoning code amendments that remove an unintentional prohibition on hotels in the sub-district, remove the required housing target area, focus retail development at key locations in the sub-district, and update zoning maps within Chapter 33.510, Central City Plan District, of the Zoning Code to reflect amendments to the South Waterfront street plan.

For more information on the project, or to obtain a copy of the report, please visit
http://www.portlandonline.com/bps/index.cfm?c=47056

South Waterfront Code & Design Guideline Update Project
Wednesday, December 2, 9:30 a.m.
Council Chambers, City Hall
1221 SW 4th Ave., Portland, OR

Last edited by sowat; Dec 3, 2009 at 4:12 AM. Reason: fixed link

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 6:22 PM

remove an unintentional prohibition on hotels in the sub-district?

-Unintentional?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 11:51 PM

^it's surprising they didn't amend the guidelines sooner if they always wanted hotels to be included

from the planning page (link above)

Quote:
Limitations on Hotels. The Zoning Code sets a maximum limit to the size of Retail Sales and Service uses in the South Waterfront subdistrict. Specifically, such uses are entitled to be up to 40,000 sq. ft. by right, and applicants can apply for a conditional use for uses up to a maximum of 60,000 sq. ft. Retail Sales and Service Uses larger than 60,000 sq. ft. are prohibited.
This maximum size was established to prohibit the development of “big box” or large format retail because there was a concern that such uses would be out of character with the district and would generate high volumes of traffic that would negatively impact the district. However, one problem with this restriction is that it also prohibited the development of hotels which are defined by the code as a Retail Sales and Service uses and are typically well over 60,000 sq. ft. in size. This is a problem in that hotels were identified by the South Waterfront Plan as one of the desired uses to be incorporated into the district.
The proposed amendment will retain the prohibition on large format retail uses while allowing hotels to occur. As hotels generate traffic volumes similar to that of the residential uses common in the district, no adverse impacts are anticipated by allowing this on type of Retail Sales and Service use to occur in the district.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 4:34 PM

A "big box" retailer is exactly what this place needs. A downtown urban Target would bring so many people here!!! haha

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smendesPDX View Post
A "big box" retailer is exactly what this place needs. A downtown urban Target would bring so many people here!!! haha
Actually I am for an urban Target! Just maybe not at South Waterfront. I am thinking on that lot between 9th and 10th/Alder and Washington.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland