HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 1:21 AM
Sanguine Misanthropist

Thanks everyone for the nice responses!

@Rail Claimore: About the MARTA Incident: Yeah, for a day or so afterwards, I was irritated enough to contemplate calling MARTA and complaining about my experience after confirming I was in the right all along after visiting their website, but since I was too stupid get that chick’s name, or badge info., I decided to leave it alone.

@bobdreamz: To my surprise, I didn’t even encounter so much as the militant middle finger of defiance. Some people in fact were a little too eager to get their pictures taken (A few pictures I took but decided not to post out of my own sheer embarrassment for the way the people in the picture looked while they were posing!) I chalk it up largely to the notion that because Five Points (and to a larger extent for many Black Americans, Atlanta itself) is viewed as such a “magnetic” gathering place, the idea of someone walking around taking pictures of people is not treated with the same amount of suspicion and discomfort as one might be in a random area without as much “tourist traffic.”

Even though I like the idea of street portrait photography, I’m always a little gun shy when trying it out on my own…largely because I often feel like I’m invading someone’s personal space when I am clearly focusing a zoom lens into their direction, and I feel uncomfortable if I see a look of fear, resentment, and distrust wash over their face. It does really irritate me when I get into a confrontation with someone who is ridiculously paranoid about their picture taken and thinks anyone with a camera pointed in their direction is trying to “target” them. But I can sort of understand their concern…especially if I’m in the “hood” or otherwise “off the beaten path.”

@cabasse: LOL, I tthought thatt sign was cutte, ttoo.

@Labtec:I really like the leafy intimacy of Fairlie-Poplar. I walked down two streets, but came back since my time was limited. I enjoyed more of the neighborhood a few years back on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately, it was dead (like most of DT on Sundays).

@LSyd:Cool to know they’ve preserved that graffiti for so long. There was a surprising amount of industrial grit to photograph in that area from what I saw on the train. I’ll definitely be back with my camera sometime.

Last edited by Paradox21; May 22, 2010 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 2:46 AM

Great pictures! You really captured the feel of 5 Points!

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 9:01 PM

Well I'll say you did a pretty good job of capturing in one hour better than most of us can do in one day.

Living in LA, you don't often see that many black folks in one area anymore, its as if they're becoming extinct now days. Not really, but many traditional black neighborhoods have disappeared here. Either they have move to the suburbs, or out of state, and or blended into mixed neighborhoods around LA. Not that I'm saying it's a good or bad thing, just my observation of the changes happening locally.

Last edited by ChrisLA; May 23, 2010 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 10:45 PM

Cool pictures, but it would be nice to see more diversity in downtown Atlanta.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1986 View Post
Cool pictures, but it would be nice to see more diversity in downtown Atlanta.
Interesting. I wonder if you hear a comment like that if the pics showed peep who were 90% any other race.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 2:11 AM

Simply Lovely.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Well I'll say you did a pretty good job of capturing in one hour better than most of us can do in one day.

Living in LA, you don't often see that many black folks in one area anymore, its as if they're becoming extinct now days. Not really, but many traditional black neighborhoods have disappeared here. Either they have move to the suburbs, or out of state, and or blended into mixed neighborhoods around LA. Not that I'm saying it's a good or bad thing, just my observation of the changes happening locally.
Or maybe they just moved to Atlanta.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
Interesting. I wonder if you hear a comment like that if the pics showed peep who were 90% any other race.
Yeah, I would say the same thing if it were 90% some other race. I live in Atlanta (Midtown) and it's sad this city is dominated by one race. It would be nice if there was more diversity within the city. The pictures are nice, but they are exactly why I never go downtown... because there is nothing there for me. That area is the center of our city and it is not welcoming to many... especially with all the bums, crackheads, and homeless. I can only hope Midtown continues to grow and continue to be a place where ALL are welcome, not just one type of people.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:07 PM

Quote:
it's sad this city is dominated by one race. It would be nice if there was more diversity within the city.
Atlanta is "dominated by one race"? I'm not quite sure what you mean. The city of Atlanta is about 55% African American, 38% white, 5% latino/hispanic of any race, and about 12% gay/lesbian. Sounds pretty diverse to me.

Do you have the same criticisms about Portland, which is 79% white? How about Miami, which is 66% latino? Minneapolis (70% white)? Boston and Charlotte (both 56% white)? Denver (72% white)? Are those cities all dominated by one race?

Anyways, great pictures. I'm always glad that Atlanta maintains a lively, mixed downtown with office workers, college students, and people going to conventions/sporting events/hotels.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:10 PM
Red brick mama.

Atlanta- my how you've grown!

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I would say the same thing if it were 90% some other race. I live in Atlanta (Midtown) and it's sad this city is dominated by one race. It would be nice if there was more diversity within the city. The pictures are nice, but they are exactly why I never go downtown... because there is nothing there for me. That area is the center of our city and it is not welcoming to many... especially with all the bums, crackheads, and homeless. I can only hope Midtown continues to grow and continue to be a place where ALL are welcome, not just one type of people.
Ok...here's your chance. Check out the Atlanta StreetsAlive thread and say the same thing.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 5:30 AM

I made the last one with the yellow-orange sky my desktop background.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:44 AM

Quote:
wowwwwwwwwwwww..lmao..you sound like a white person who's only seen black people on cops..lol negros don't bite...whoaaaaaa*and i'm black btw*

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 9:08 AM

Yeah...

Atlanta isn't that black. Downtown is but Midtown, not so much.

Atlanta is fairly diverse. And the GLBT population black and white (and other) makes it fab-u-lous

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 2:29 PM
Me?!?

Cool pics!

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 2:35 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
It's really strange, the transition going on here in the east. It is nothing for me to be in parts of Philly or my spot in the metro (Norristown) and be the only white person in an entire store, restaurant, etc. DC was like this the last time I was there, I can see it in these pics...

*And depending on which end of Norristown I am in, I could have the same experience but with Latinos instead.

When I moved here in '06, it was not like that at all and you would always find a pretty good mix in places. I wonder what causes such a dramatic shift like that? 4 years is not that long really when you think in terms of demographic switches.

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 9:26 PM

Better pictures then what I previously viewed though as I've stated before I personally do not care for the city Atlanta. It will be nice to visit the city while passing through it.

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 10:40 PM

That 'lady' in the yellow Roca Wear track is perhaps the worst dressed person I've ever seen on SSP. I'm not critical of fashion - - - but gotdamn.

As already said, that last photo is stunning. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 12:53 AM

Awesome street shots of Atlanta! I posted your problem with MARTA on another forum and that in turn was posted to a photography forum where someone from MARTA was contacted regarding their photography rules. The bad news is that it looks like non-commercial photography is indeed banned on MARTA. The good news is that they also enjoyed your photos!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 3:25 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Excellent shots! Although Five Points could stand to be cleaned up...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos