HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:09 PM

Can't believe this is the year the Caps finally make it past the second round. Hard to imagine them getting past Tampa though.

I'm pretty excited for either Nashville or Winnipeg against Vegas though. I need some relaxing time as a neutral fan after what the Leafs and Raptors have put me through.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:37 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Can't believe this is the year the Caps finally make it past the second round. Hard to imagine them getting past Tampa though.

I'm pretty excited for either Nashville or Winnipeg against Vegas though. I need some relaxing time as a neutral fan after what the Leafs and Raptors have put me through.
I take my hat off to Ovechkin and Company for trying to break the Caps’ curse.

I don’t think Winnipeg will get a chance winning at Nashville, seeing that they’re getting sloppier and sloppier (Laine has been playing like garbage lately) and can’t get through the Preds trap. It’s dreadful for a Jets fan.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:37 PM

Nashville is gonna win. Vegas vs Nashville should be good.

Washington doesn't stand a chance against Tampa, though I'll be rooting for Ovi

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:47 PM
arf

Why so few expectations of the Jets in game 7? It's been back and forth all series and only last night did Winnipeg ever lose by more than 1 goal. I understand tempering expectations and hope, but this is a coin flip of a game. Could be 3-2, could be 1-0, could be 6-3. I really have no clue how it is going to pan out in Nashville. But a game seven in the second round of the playoffs against the president's trophy winners. Not much to be sad about for the season really, irrespective of how it turns out.

Enjoy the party. Have a beer and give a toast if they lose and have a beer and get ready for Vegas if they win.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:49 PM

^ Who said the Jets are toast besides Firebrand? They've been doing a great job of bouncing back from losses in the playoffs thus far and I expect no different on Thursday.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:52 PM

Nashville is a prove playoff team with tons of experience. Now that Rinne is back in form, Preds will be unbeatable. Jets will probably play better than last game, but it won't be enough.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:58 PM

^ If the Preds were that dominant this series wouldn't have gone to 7 games.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Nashville is a prove playoff team with tons of experience. Now that Rinne is back in form, Preds will be unbeatable. Jets will probably play better than last game, but it won't be enough.
Pittsburgh is a proven playoff team and two in a row defending Stanley Cup Champion - they just lost. I don't think playoff experience means as much as people think it does. How much playoff experience did Vegas have when it played former champs LA or seasoned playoff veterans San Jose?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:10 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Pittsburgh is a proven playoff team and two in a row defending Stanley Cup Champion - they just lost.
Their roster turnover was bigger than people give credit for. They lost a number of players from last year's Cup-winning team. Subtract Fleury, Hainsey, Daley, Bonino, Kunitz....losing those skaters made a big difference in their lineup this season, and we can all see the impact Bonino is having in Nashville and Kunitz is having in Tampa.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:41 PM
arf

^Fleury was only playing for them when Murray was injured over the last two cup runs. It was important last year, but he was pulled again in the conference finals against Ottawa.

But, yes, little bits and pieces do make a team, although I will give the Capitals a lot of credit for knocking the Penguins off when Crosby was having the best playoff of his (points per game) career. Previous one was 27 in 20 and 31 in 24. He was on pace for 40 points in 23 or 24 games. Stellar.

I'd also like to thank Tampa Bay for knocking the face-licking Bruins out of the playoffs. Who else wants to see him get a 20 game suspension the first time he meets with player safety next season?

And go Jets! Although I like the stories of all the teams left now which is awesome. Anyone who is a general fan of hockey has to love the playoffs so far.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:41 PM

With the Penguins eliminated, the NHL dreams of Vegas vs. Pittsburgh has been crushed.

I am so happy right now!

Hoping Winnipeg or Nashville can defeat Vegas next.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 6:52 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Pittsburgh is a proven playoff team and two in a row defending Stanley Cup Champion - they just lost. I don't think playoff experience means as much as people think it does. How much playoff experience did Vegas have when it played former champs LA or seasoned playoff veterans San Jose?
Agreed. I think the "experience" thing is way overblown.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
With the Penguins eliminated, the NHL dreams of Vegas vs. Pittsburgh has been crushed.

I am so happy right now!

Hoping Winnipeg or Nashville can defeat Vegas next.
God I hope Vegas loses, they got an unfair advantage from their entry draft.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
God I hope Vegas loses, they got an unfair advantage from their entry draft.
Sarcasm?

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Sarcasm?
The only explanation.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Why so few expectations of the Jets in game 7? It's been back and forth all series and only last night did Winnipeg ever lose by more than 1 goal. I understand tempering expectations and hope, but this is a coin flip of a game. Could be 3-2, could be 1-0, could be 6-3. I really have no clue how it is going to pan out in Nashville. But a game seven in the second round of the playoffs against the president's trophy winners. Not much to be sad about for the season really, irrespective of how it turns out.

Enjoy the party. Have a beer and give a toast if they lose and have a beer and get ready for Vegas if they win.
I think the Jets will win, unfortunately. I much prefer to see Carrie Underwood sign the National Anthem!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Sarcasm?
Hard to tell, but no one can argue they were given the best entry draft of any expansion team in NHL history.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:29 PM
ハルウララ

Nobody at the time had any way of expecting Vegas to be in the conference finals from the day of the entry draft. It comes down to a team playing like the ultimate underdog, a great performance from their goalie, and a tremendous coach. Anyone complaining about it is just upset that their team can't win and Vegas is winning from the hop.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:40 PM

The Sens sucked this year, and I'm fine with it. They were just two teams I was rooting against; Pittsburgh and Vegas.

I'll admit that I don't like seeing a team in Vegas, I didn't like the draft rules that gave Vegas a huge advantage compared to the rest of the expansion teams through the years that were supplied nothing but the NHL rejects, I never liked Vegas getting the NHL Awards every year (and still do) as it should go from team to team, just like the draft, the outdoor games and the All Star Game and I don't like how they participate in bending the rules (for example, taking a huge part of Derick Brassard's salary so that Pittsburgh doesn't blow their cap).

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:42 PM
Rational urbanist

Go Jets go, if not them go Caps, and if not them it doesn't matter as long as Vegas fucks off.

Is it jealousy and stupid? Yeah maybe. But that's the fun part about sports, you don't have to be rational in your opinions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada