HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 3:51 PM

Awesome!

Granted it's been mild lately, but I'm surprised pile driving is feasible during winter.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Awesome!

Granted it's been mild lately, but I'm surprised pile driving is feasible during winter.
I am surprised too, here in Steinbach they have driven about 100 piles in the past week for the new events centre.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 4:14 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Awesome!

The driven piles can be installed year-round.

Before the piles are placed, the holes are pre-drilled down 10-15 feet, which gets you thru the frost line (~6-feet or so).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 4:39 PM

those pile driver machines are amazing show of force!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 8:35 PM
What could go wrong?

I would have to think the piling and excavation contractors would prefer winter construction as it would eliminate the mess that spring/summer/fall precipitation can cause on site.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 8:49 PM

it'll be nice to watch this one rise as you approach from the south over the norwood bridge

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 5:25 PM

A desperately ugly building.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil View Post
A desperately ugly building.
Nah you’re wrong

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Nah you’re wrong
Well, eye of the beholder etc... but this would be rightfully skewered in any first year design studio. And I'm not only speaking aesthetically, although the rendering is a real turd and the architect's other work inspires little confidence.

In a more perfect world I can imagine this little area of the city becoming a dense, mid-rise, walkable, car-minimal neighbourhood. Instead we're planning to build a 4-storey parkade and then put some people in a tower up and away from the street. Winnipeg deserves better.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Well, eye of the beholder etc... but this would be rightfully skewered in any first year design studio. And I'm not only speaking aesthetically, although the rendering is a real turd and the architect's other work inspires little confidence.

In a more perfect world I can imagine this little area of the city becoming a dense, mid-rise, walkable, car-minimal neighbourhood. Instead we're planning to build a 4-storey parkade and then put some people in a tower up and away from the street. Winnipeg deserves better.
Honestly that area will never be what you're envisioning mainly because it's sandwiched between 4 thoroughfares that are always loud and busy, and all of the shops nearby are not actually in this little pocket of residential; you either have to go to OV, downtown, the forks, or to Marion/Goulet. The area around Mayfair really offers nothing in itself other than proximity to places that actually have stuff. My point being that a tower on a podium is appropriate for this location. There is actually a lot of low and midrise residential in this area (that has been there for decades) and it hasn't created any sort of charming and walkable neighbourhood. As much as I share you ideals for that type of neighbourhood, this pocket of downtown is designed to be car-centric and connect major roadways. Not exactly the type of streets that are appealing for sidewalk-hugging residential units.

You also have to remember that the selling point for this building is all on the backside of the lot: the river views and downtown views. A tower is the best way to maximize these views. If you look at the buildings next door, https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88431...i8192?hl=en-GBand many other low-rise buildings like these along the river, 95% of the units don't actually face the river. And guess what they put at the back of the lot? Surface parking. What's the point in building on a riverfront property and using the riverside part of the property for parking?

So in my opinion the developer is just playing to the strengths of the location. No one wants to live on the mainlfoor at Mayfair and Main, but everyone wants a beautiful view of the river and downtown.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 2:52 AM

Quote:

Fair but it’s still not that bad, it could look aesthetically like the Halo Towers for example. And an integral parkade is better than a surface lot ala the new Portage Ave development by Ass Park.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post

So in my opinion the developer is just playing to the strengths of the location. No one wants to live on the mainlfoor at Mayfair and Main, but everyone wants a beautiful view of the river and downtown.

100% agree with that or beautiful facing South towards the Red & St B

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 2:52 PM

The river is virtually ignored with this building, beyond looking out your window. Maybe I'm wrong and there is some type of outdoor patio, or lawn area in the back. Otherwise it's just a view from up in your suite. Which isn't the biggest deal really.

Most of these river front developments have a big, blank wall on the river side. and mostly with a parkade in that area. They could at least try. and maybe have some lower levels suites that are actually along the riverfront.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:28 PM

Winnipeg development kind of turns its back on the river. It has to be one of the only North American cities where being on the water is not a valuable and desirable asset.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:18 PM

the way the riverbank needs to be shored up against sometimes quite dramatic erosion may be a factor in our tense relationship with water-adjacent properties. having riverfront property in winnipeg is almost a liability!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
the way the riverbank needs to be shored up against sometimes quite dramatic erosion may be a factor in our tense relationship with water-adjacent properties. having riverfront property in winnipeg is almost a liability!
You're not kidding. I have some neighbours who were hit with six figure remediation bills when the riverbank by their homes failed.

I don't know about you, but having to pay a hundred fifty grand to shore up the riverbank to keep my house from falling into the river would definitely spoil my day.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:35 PM
What could go wrong?

I may be in the minority here and all of the earthy people my not like this, but I believe they should build retaining walls on the Assiniboine from the Forks to Osborne and create a proper river walk that is immune from flooding. Some will say that forcing the river down a concrete canyon is not nature and we shouldn't do it, but the enhancements for city residents and tourists would be great. Think of Chicago or San Antonio (or any major city for that matter).

It has been said on here many times in the past that the Forks walkway should be raised, but I am talking about doing both sides of the Assiniboine. I know it would be expensive but in the long run I bet it would pay off.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:51 PM

^ I have pondered that myself whenever I'm on the river trail. But I wonder if the lack of an industry driven need for it would prevent it from happening due to the massive cost... i.e., the time to have done it was 120 years ago when shipping on the river was still common.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 5:38 PM

I completely agree Biff. Walking along a proper walkway like the canal in Ottawa is a much nicer experience.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 5:59 PM

Where the structural engineers at (Drew haha). What does 100m of sheet pile cost? I know there's very strengths. But I don't think it would be hugely excessive to do something like that. Sheet pile driven in with clay then gravel fill behind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan