HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound
I believe they are already available. Let me check... Yep, they are available.

http://www.informationbirmingham.com...es/minutes.jsp
Yeah... just saw that. Think it's possible they could keep it reasonably up to date and not 3-4 months behind? Nahhhh...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 1:41 AM
I concede

... But upon further inspection, I can see that the minutes are about a month behind. I guess it's foolish to expect a government agency which can't even keep a promise concerning something as simple as groundbreaking (the RR Park ceremony was set for March) to have accurate council minutes on its site... Which sucks immensely, by the way!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 1:42 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85
Yeah... just saw that. Think it's possible they could keep it reasonably up to date and not 3-4 months behind? Nahhhh...
Haha... I see you beat me to it!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 1:47 AM

Quote:
... But upon further inspection, I can see that the minutes are about a month behind. I guess it's foolish to expect a government agency which can't even keep a promise concerning something as simple as groundbreaking (the RR Park ceremony was set for March) to have accurate council minutes on its site... Which sucks immensely, by the way!
Totally agree. Maybe once these new, progressive residents in many of these downtown developments will help bring some sanity and reason to city politics. We've got to get better-qualified people in office. I mean sometimes people (including myself) question why more doesnt happen for Birmingham given all of its potential. But in reality... why should we be asking that question? You get what you pay for, so to speak. If Birmingham residents dont start demanding more accountability, we're going to continue to have poor leadership.

The fortunate thing, I guess, is that the majority of Birmingham's city residents are very disengaged. Therein lies some promise. With more and more of these middle and up-scale places coming downtown, they'll bring people who are generally more concerned with politics and will take much greater interest in the goings on of the city. So I think the downtown area's population will be heard in the near future... not maybe by the next city elections, but for certain by the ones in 2011.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Haha... I see you beat me to it!
But... nothing, it seems can be kept up-to-date in Birmingham. The Birmingham Airport passenger stats are just as far behind. That's among the many problems we face as a city. People simply not taking their jobs seriously. They probably dont think (and probably rightfully so) that many actually read the minutes, so who cares if you're a couple months behind?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 4:35 AM

Invest this WISELY...

Quote:
City of Birmingham consultant finds extra $9 million in proposed budget

The City of Birmingham has $9.7 million more than originally believed in the 2007 budget, the council’s financial consultant said Monday.

Doug Turner, president of Censeo, a firm hired by the council to review financial information, said Mayor Bernard Kincaid’s proposed $315.5 million budget underfunds some items and overfunds others, including salaries for vacant positions.

Turner suggested the city could save by funding departments and services at levels comparable to spending in 2006.

“It’s just looking at the actual expenses from the previous year and lining up next year’s expenses more with what was spent the year before,” he said.

Joseph D. Bryant

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 4:53 AM

What would you guys think if Alabama Power decided to put a nuclear power plant nearby to address increasing power demand in a way that would not pollute the air?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 5:22 AM
Trendy.

Depending on the location, I'd say go for it... (especially if it was in St. Clair County )

Perhaps the radiation could actually REVERSE the effects of inbreeding!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
Depending on the location, I'd say go for it... (especially if it was in St. Clair County )

Perhaps the radiation could actually REVERSE the effects of inbreeding!

Well there are already coal-burning plants to the northwest (2) and southeast of Birmingham. Putting a plant in St. Clair County may make sense because the power would not only be used in Birmingham, but also the power could also be sent to Atlanta, which probably has a high demand for power right now too. The facility could be built on the Coosa River for water intake.

I'm not so sure if that will ever happen though, but nuclear power is making a comeback, so it may be an option in the mid to distant future.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 6:50 PM

Now THIS is just cool. I can totally see Linn Park becoming a place where people go out and sit in the park with their laptops. Great idea

Quote:
Free wireless to be available in Linn Park in time for City Stages
Birmingham Business Journal - 12:05 PM CDT Tuesday

The Birmingham area's latest wireless hotspot, Linn Park, is going live just days before the city's largest annual music festival.

Linn Park in downtown Birmingham joins the area's more than 265 wireless hotspots just in time for the Waldrep Stewart & Kendrick City Stages, presented by Lanny Vines & Associates. The festival begins Friday.

"A critical part of being a technologically savvy city is high-speed wireless connectivity and TechBirmingham has taken the lead in pushing us ever forward in that regard," says Guy McCullough, the festival's marketing director.

Visitors to Linn Park during City Stages - and after - need only point their wireless computers to the network identified as "Linn Park" and accept basic terms of service in order to connect to the Web. The service is free.

The nonprofit TechBirmingham focuses on growing Birmingham's technology economy and has teamed up with Atlanta-based SouthernLINC Wireless, a Southern Co. (NYSE: SO) subsidiary, to establish the connection in time for the music festival.

A comprehensive list of the area's wireless hotspots is available at www.BhamWIFI.com. The Web site is a joint project of the Internet Professionals Society of Alabama and TechBirmingham.

According to AnchorFree, a leading online listing of free wireless hotspots, the city of Birmingham ranks as the No. 1 free wireless city in Alabama and is in the top 50 nationwide.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 7:53 PM
Witty comment fail

Forgive me if this has already been posted... I didn't see it, but I'm blind as a bat.

Quote:
High-end housing to test market downtown
Birmingham Business Journal -
by Kaija Wilkinson

Staff

A pair of high-end residential projects are about to see whether Birmingham residents are ready to live on the southeast edge of downtown.

Seaboard Yard townhouses, with units priced at more than $317,000, is beginning to market itself to buyers. And across the street, The Carroll & Green Group Inc. is about to break ground on a $5 million live-work building that will house the construction firm's headquarters on the first floor and luxury condos on the top two.

A rebirth of First Avenue South that started at 22nd Street about five years ago is steadily marching east, and developers such as John Lauriello and Julie Gieger of Southpace Properties Inc., and Cory Mason of Keystone Construction Inc., which built Seaboard Yard, are banking on the prediction that the area will become a residential hotspot and that property values will rise.

They already are. Land prices have gone up three or four times in the three years since the Seaboard Yard developers bought their property, Lauriello says. From 22nd to 32nd street, land that sold for $2 to $3 per square foot in 2003 fetches $10 to $20 per square foot today, he says.

New construction such as the multimillion-dollar Pullman Flats, a pair of buildings being developed by architecture firm Krumdieck A+1 Design Inc. that will house its headquarters and lofts, is driving the appreciation, Lauriello says. He notes that Montgomery architectural and engineering firm Goodwyn Mills & Cawood Inc. also built a $2 million location across from Seaboard Yard.

In all, the stretch of avenue starting at 22nd has been the beneficiary of $30 million to $40 million of investment in the past five years or so, Lauriello says.
Bring 'em on

Just east of the Alabama Ballet, Seaboard Yard townhouses are part of a swath of development on the north side of the avenue that includes live-work space for husband and wife architects Tammy Cohen and Richard Carnaggio, the area's first residents, who moved in more than a year ago, and live-work space for lawyer Archie Lamb, who plans to move into his building later this year.

"The more the merrier," says Lamb. "There are a lot of growth pods throughout the downtown and Lakeview area, all the way from First Avenue to Clairmont. There's a lot going on that you don't really see on the surface, some visionary work that will convert that part of downtown. It's made people like me feel a lot better about our investments."

The Seaboard Yard marketing team, which consists of Sally Tuttle and Jim Wise of Margi Ingram's Condominium Shoppe, hopes potential residents will soon see the value of a $300,000-plus investment, and the appeal of living in an emerging neighborhood.

They plan to market the property by handing out fliers at the Pepper Place farmers' market and holding a cookout for Realtors to show off the just-completed model unit.

And the price for one of the units has been lowered to $299,000 in order to grab the attention of people searching listings in the $300,000 and less range.

So far, three townhouses have sold, two to investors.

"We're just not getting the response we thought we'd get," says Lauriello, blaming the sluggish response in part on the project's being nearly a year behind schedule.

But he and his partners are optimistic buyers will eventually come.
A dozen buyers will do

Based on surveys, developers incorporated "all the bells and whistles," says Lauriello, such as high-end finishes and appliances, gated parking and a maintenance-free facade. To the north, views include the downtown Birmingham skyline and the historic stacks of Sloss Furnaces; to the south are Red Mountain and Vulcan. All units are two bedroom, two-and-a-half baths covering more than 2,000 square feet on two floors.

Lauriello says it's a good sign that investors have purchased two of the units.

"These are pretty prudent real estate people who feel like once that project and some other projects in the area are completed, that a year or two from now there could be a substantial amount of appreciation," he says.

The homes start at less than $160 per square foot. Some high-end properties in the downtown and Southside markets are fetching $215 to $230 per square foot, Lauriello says.

The recent kidnapping of a young lawyer from the front of her loft at Third Avenue North and 20th Street sparked a new wave of concern about safety downtown, but Lauriello says it was an anomaly and that people who are inclined toward urban living will stay that way.

It also helped that the victim was found alive, thanks to vigilant downtown workers, security cameras and "some solid police work," he says.

Seaboard Yard's ideal buyers, says Lauriello, are young professionals, such as doctors and lawyers, and empty nesters who may have a lake or country house but want a place in the city.

He hopes the project's size will work to its advantage.

"We're not trying to do 500 of these. We just think that there are 12 somebodies that this would appeal to."

kwilkinson@bizjournals.com • (205) 443-5637

Old Posted Jun 14, 2006, 1:44 AM
Trendy.

Does anyone have high-res pictures of the Railroad Reservation Park proposals?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2006, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Red Mtn. Park presents a vision, landscaper says
Wednesday, June 14, 2006
KATHERINE BOUMA
News staff writer

Red Mountain Park is a large urban park that is still a blank slate to be completely planned by the community, said a landscape artist in Birmingham this week.

Usually, park designers are called on to expand or redesign parks that were built in the 19th century and compromises must be made with the past, said Eric Tamulonis, a Philadelphia landscape artist who is leading the team that will design Red Mountain Park.

"It's very good, because it provides the community with the chance to create a vision of where they are now in time, as opposed to responding to a vision of a previous time," he said.

He and his team are spending a week in Birmingham gathering ideas from community members, leaders of neighborhood groups, citizens and political leaders.

In August, they plan to return with an inventory of the park's assets to present to leaders and the public. In October, he said, they will present alternatives and costs for development and maintenance. In December they plan to have a design for the park.

The Hugh Kaul Foundation, the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham and Alabama Power Co. are paying for the team of landscape artists.

Tuesday, the park's leaders said U.S. Rep. Spencer Bachus had secured $350,000 in federal funding for the park. The group has already received a commitment from Jefferson County to give $7 million to the park.

The plan for the 1,108-acre park on the crest of Red Mountain went public last year when U.S. Steel offered the Freshwater Land Trust the land for $7 million, a steep discount from the $16.5 million appraised price.

The land trust was not allowed to buy the land itself because its mission is to protect area rivers and streams. However, it is heading the effort to build the 4.5-mile long park that would stretch from Homewood on the east almost to Bessemer.

A nonprofit foundation is expected to take over management of the park.

Tamulonis said trails and soccer parks are still under discussion for the park, as they have been from the beginning. He said a new idea that emerged this week is a living history component.

He said many neighbors are connected to the land's mining history and are interested in sharing their stories, such as tales of the after-work baseball teams miners played on, wearing the numbers of their mines.

"There's a healthy sense of pride in the community heritage and connections, and there's a desire to communicate that," he said. "The remnants of the mining structure, of the railroad, are ideal for that kind of project."

E-mail: kbouma@bhamnews.com
What actually might be very neat is to have some sort of trolley or light-rail system atop Red Mountain connecting Vulcan Park to Red Mountain Park (and maybe eventually Ruffner Mountain). Both parks represent similar aspects of Birmingham's past and could build off of each other. Some may be at Vulcan and see the signs and trolleys going toward Red Mountain Park and think "hey... what is that? let's go check that out." The ride itself would make for some spectacular views of the city and could be very "touristy." I know there are some hotels and maybe condos along that ridge between Vulcan and Red Mountain Park, but it could actually increase the appeal of those places. I dont know... just throwing ideas out.

Last edited by Blazer85; Jun 14, 2006 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 12:30 AM

Like American Idol or not, this could be big. Rumor is that American Idol is overlooking "insufficient facilities" at the BJCC in order to hold auditions in Birmingham. For the 6th Season, American Idol creators want to hold preliminary auditions in 50 cities across the US (1 city per state generally), and the winners on each state level would advance to the regionals. I believe Birmingham is being proposed as both a preliminary and regional site. In any event, the publicity the city would get on America's #1 show would be incredible, thousands of people (both instate and some probably out of state) would flock to Birmingham to audition creating a big burst of tourism, etc. The makers of American Idol recognize the underrated music scene in Birmingham and have been wanting to hold auditions here for some time. Taylor winning this year, I believe, sealed their decision to overlook the slightly insufficient facilities in order to bring the auditions to the Magic City. Was told to look for a formal announcement in the near future. My source has broken the news on a number of "close-to-the-vest" events in Birmingham. Hoping they're dead on again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of music, folks, dont forget City Stages 2006 this weekend (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)! Come see Snoop Dog, Hank Williams Jr, The Allman Brothers, Los Lonely Boys and many more. www.citystages.org

Last edited by Blazer85; Jun 15, 2006 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 5:29 AM

So what exactly is insufficient about our facilities? Where are they holding them in Mississippi? Beau Rivage?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos
So what exactly is insufficient about our facilities? Where are they holding them in Mississippi? Beau Rivage?
The BJCC is supposedly not large enough. The 1 per state part of it hasnt been fully confirmed, but there are supposed to be 50 locations. I think ideally theyd like to have one site in every state... or at least that was the original plan.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 6:00 AM

I remember posting about this about a month ago...

Anyway, it seems they wanted to do mall auditions... or something similar.. Judging done by a representative panel, not the big 3. Regionals would be the 3 main judges.

Not sure why BJCC didn't fit their desires, but it didn't.

And these plans have been in the works since 4 ended... it was too soon to implement for 5, so they scheduled 6 to have the new audition process.

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 7:05 AM

Quote:
The BJCC is supposedly not large enough. The 1 per state part of it hasnt been fully confirmed, but there are supposed to be 50 locations. I think ideally theyd like to have one site in every state... or at least that was the original plan.
If it will be in all 50 states, then the size of the BJCC probably does not matter. It does not really make it that special since we are probably not one of the sites for the regional auditions due to the size of the BJCC.

It also would not surprise me if as sabre0link suggests that the auditions are done at the Galleria or in the Winfrey Hotel.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 1:26 PM

Certainly love to hear this...

Quote:
Convention, City Stages fill city hotels
5,000 Presbyterians also using most of BJCC
Thursday, June 15, 2006
ROY L. WILLIAMS
News staff writer

It will take a lot of prayer and luck to find a room in most of Birmingham area's leading hotels this weekend.

Most of the area's 14,000 hotel rooms are booked beginning tonight with a week-long national Presbyterian convention that kicks off today and the three-day City Stages music festival, which begins Friday. The Presbyterian convention has more than 5,000 attendees from outside metro Birmingham and the religion group is expected to fill the 17,000-seat BJCC Arena for a Sunday morning service.

Jack Fields, executive director for the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex, said the Presbyterians are using the BJCC Concert Hall and entire East Exhibit Hall beginning today. In addition, over the next week the group will use all 60 of the BJCC's meeting rooms for various events.

"They are utilizing almost our entire facilities," Fields said.

Families in town for the Presbyterian event have booked a combined 2,000-room nights between today and next Thursday, said Danny Hiatt, general manager of the 331-room Wynfrey Hotel. This is the first time the Presbyterian bi-annual convention has come to Birmingham in at least 20 years, Hiatt and other hotel officials said.

"It's great for us and all of the hotels because other than City Stages, the summer months are usually a slow time of the year," Hiatt said.

Greater Birmingham Convention Bureau President Jim Smither credited Vice President of Sales Mike Gunn and his staff for wooing the Presbyterian convention to Birmingham. "They worked really hard to bring that group here," he said.

Bryan Groover, general manager of downtown's Tutwiler Hotel, said many of the area hotels banded together to make it happen, referring guests to other facilities with room to accommodate both City Stages fans and the Presbyterians.

"All of us in the hotel industry are excited. Combined with City Stages, this will be a tremendous economic boost for Birmingham," Groover said. "Between the Presbyterians and City Stages, our hotel is full for the entire week from today through Thursday."

The Redmont Hotel downtown, Birmingham Marriott and Hilton Perimeter Hotel on U.S. 280 are also sold out through Sunday from guests staying for City Stages and the Presbyterian convention, officials said.

Melanie Johnston, general manager of the Radisson Hotel on Birmingham's Southside, which is currently being converted into a Doubletree Hotel, said her facility is booked every day over the next week except for a few openings Saturday and Sunday. "If it wasn't for the fact that we only have three-fourths of the hotel available during construction, we'd probably be sold out," she said.

E-mail: rwilliams@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 2:04 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Rumor is that American Idol is overlooking "insufficient facilities" at the BJCC in order to hold auditions in Birmingham. For the 6th Season, American Idol creators want to hold preliminary auditions in 50 cities across the US (1 city per state generally), and the winners on each state level would advance to the regionals.
Could the "rumor" actually be that they want to hold one of the regionals here in which case the "insufficient facilities" remark would make a little more sense? I'm sure there are several states with facilities even more insufficient than ours who will be holding preliminaries in order to meet their goal of having one preliminary per state, so I doubt that comment would have been made if referring to the preliminaries only.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast