Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 9:03 PM

PHILADELPHIA | 21M (2120 Market) | 350 FT | 25 FLOORS

Title: 21M
Project: office space, luxury apartments, retail
Architect: Erdy McHenry
Developer: Brandywine Realty Trust
Neighborhood: Center City West (Market West)
District: Center City
Floors: 25
Height: 350 feet

New design:

Old design:

Office
• 250,000 sf of Creative office
• Typical 15’-0” Floor to Floor
• Podium and lower tower
• Parking requirement is 1 lot per 5,000sf (marketing requirement)
• There is no city requirement for parking
• Lobby ~ 2,000sf

Residential
• Remainder of GFA in Residential
• Rental
• 10’-8” Floor to Floor (10’-0” clear interior ceiling)
• Average Unit Size = 800sf
• Parking requirement is 3 lots per every 10 Residential units
• Lobby ~1,000sf

CEO: Brandywine plans loft-style offices, residences on 2100 block of Market

Quote:
Brandywine Realty Trust plans to develop loft-style offices and residential units on the land it bought this month along the 2100 block of Market Street in Center City, president and chief executive Jerry Sweeney told analysts Thursday in a conference call.

The offices would be similar to those at the 1900 Market St. building that Brandywine is now renovating, Sweeney said. That structure, known as the Stock Exchange Building, is being upgraded with open floor plans and collaborative work and meeting areas.

The company will partner with an outside firm for the residential units, Sweeney said.

"The 2100 block of Market we view to be very much of a mixed-use development," he said.

Brandywine agreed to pay $18.8 million for the land, the company said in a statement. The 37,000-square-foot property, which comprises most of the block's southern side, includes the site of 2013's deadly building collapse that flattened a thrift store.

Development of Brandywine's recently acquired properties - which include a parking structure at Seventh and Market Streets - would not begin until the company completed the FMC Tower, being built near 30th Street Station, and other current projects, Sweeney told analysts.

"We'll proceed with planning over the next 12 to 18 months and position them for starts in the 2017 to 2019 time frame," he said.
http://articles.philly.com/2015-07-2...-market-street

Renderings and other information from private investor PDF.

Last edited by summersm343; Oct 25, 2022 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 9:10 PM

And my daydreaming has already started ... picturing it:

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 10:35 PM

Not a big fan of cubism abstract box designs, but given the fact that there aren't any of this kind. This design will work well!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 10:37 PM

Wow. I missed a lot today.

I really love that Philly is finally getting a crazy building like this and at such a prominent location. It really looks incredible, can't wait to see more photo realistic renders. As others have said, it seems like that we're still far from ground breaking and so much can change so quickly but I'm cautiously optimistic. Brandywine just gets stuff done so it's hard not to have at least some expectation that this will actually happen.

As a side note. This really gets me angry about that dumb park again. That insane park will look even crappier in juxtaposition to this beauty next store. We really need to stop this damn park from happening in its current form. They can put a park there, but make it something that compliments this new building and the Mutter Museum. You can put a memorial plaque in the park but giant neon gravestones are truly insane.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 5:36 AM

great design! it brings up a question i've had for awhile: Does anyone know the wind and earthquake resistance ratings required by law in Philly? It seems irrelevant....but i know seismologists have claimed for decades that the east coast is overdue for a major quake. I'm just curious with this unique building design....and CITC placing the core at the corner of the building....and FMC being built out of concrete for the top half...etc. Do Philly skyscrapers have to meet similar ratings to west coast buildings despite not being in a traditionally active quake zone?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 6:35 AM

Love it. Hope we get something like this at 1911 Walnut also.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 11:23 AM

I need to see more detailed renders later in the process to really form a solid opinion on design. I like the height. And the inclusion of residential. Pure business districts seem to be dead in the 21st century, and that's a good thing. Not good for business, retail and restaurants for the customer base to dry up on evenings and weekends. With this, 1919 Market, and 2400 Market, we'll see a real injection of life on Market from 19th to the River! I wonder if we'll see any conversions of buildings between 15th and 19th to include a residential component, while maintaining much of the building as commercial.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 12:44 PM
Hello

Philly is on Phire!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 1:43 PM

Cool that they are building over the firehouse. Not convinced this will be the final design. Would be cool as hell if it was though. Three major amenity areas seems like a lot. They should make the middle amenity area be a cafeteria / food court / restaurant and have seating in one or both of the nearest parks.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Cool that they are building over the firehouse. Not convinced this will be the final design. Would be cool as hell if it was though. Three major amenity areas seems like a lot. They should make the middle amenity area be a cafeteria / food court / restaurant and have seating in one or both of the nearest parks.
Depends on the amenities they're adding to the building and the layout of the building. One is clearly an office amenity floor and the other two for residential. If there is condo and apartments, then that makes sense for the two different amenity floors. If it's all rentals or all condos, they could be doing an amenity heavy building with pool/spa, fitness center, dog spa, etc. etc.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 3:18 PM

Great design!! Finally Philly is starting to get more then just the regular drab that we are used to

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 3:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Reminds me of the Park Lane design (super tall design version). Seems like it has some BIG (Ingels) references to it. Solid height for the area.

What I do like about all of these recent proposals and towers u/c are how they are expanding the bulk footprint of Center City. Further enlarging an already big downtown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 4:11 PM

I do gotta say I love how the higher observation park lofts hang over the road from above. That will be neat from a ground perspective.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 4:45 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

What a design. Depending on the building materials and final design details, this building could turn out to be a real stunner!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 12:14 AM
resu deretsiger

Fuck yeah. Love the design location and height. Hopefully the design stays the same and we don't get a bait and switch like the Chinatown Eastern Community Center.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower View Post
Fuck yeah. Love the design location and height. Hopefully the design stays the same and we don't get a bait and switch like the Chinatown Eastern Community Center.
This is Brandywine Realty Trust, one of the largest REITs in the country. Chinatown Eastern Tower is the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation. Hardly comparable.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 1:20 AM

Wow that's quite an impressive looking building. The cutouts look really good unlike on some other buildings with those cutouts.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 2:52 AM

This will look really nice with the Riverwalk development nearby if they both eventually get built in their most recent iterations. With a full Cira Complex as well, that part of town is going to look very sleek and modern!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 4:15 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Let's pray the local apartment residents don't start their mess. The massing is quite nice so let's see what is finally proposed.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 4:23 AM
OG from the L.B.C.

A photoshop cut & paste to give a rough impression on how this building would look from the southern vantage points.

In image heights on 2100, CITC, and the W should be fairly accurate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals